Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

prawnsambo wrote: »
    this thread is a wild ride.
    I'll correct the very first post in that thread that says:
    Poll watcher in Michigan testifying that black lives matter people wore rhinestones. This was a problem for her.
    to what it really means:
    Poll watcher in Michigan testifying that black people were voting. This was a problem for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

28064212 wrote: »
    This is absolutely correct.

In much the same way that if Vincent Browne announced he had evidence showing state collusion in the murder of Veronica Guerin, it would be treated very differently to when Gemma O'Doherty did it

See Gemma had no evidence she just made a ridiculous claim she couldn't back up when asked. Vincent Browne would have the evidence researched and presentable before even suggesting such a thing.

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's generally because US Conservative or Libertarian (this is a complete lie of a label, true libertarians in US politics are extremely rare) politicians seek to suppress human and social characteristics as a core philosophy.

That's markedly distinct from say Irish conservatives, who tend to be more focused on economic conservatism, while generally (although lethargically) supportive of social progress.

Just on that, a point that I think tends to be overlooked; Fine Gael, the most "conservative" mainstream Irish party had a referendum to legalise divorce, then another 10 years later to try again and another to loosen the restrictions. And they had the referendum to legalise gay marriage. And to legalise abortion.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Seanachai wrote: »
    What kind of evidence would you be looking for to back up an observation? I think it's pretty fair to say that most of our journalists generally give the Dem/progressive side a much easier time in comparison to conservative/libertarian Americans.

GOP supporters or even non-aligned American libertarians are generally the butt-end of the office joke here, all a progressive has to do is give the right soundbite and hang out of the right celebrity and they get rockstar status. What they actually do or fail to do doesn't seem to really matter, it would probably be career suicide in certain workplaces to express sympathy with a US con/lib viewpoint.

We have a lot in common with the US. There are parts we admire and look up to.

Then there's parts of the country that are totally nuts to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    And why do you think that might be?

Is it a Left/right thing or is it more likely to be a Journalist/Conspiracy Theorist thing?
    VinLieger wrote: »
    See Gemma had no evidence she just made a ridiculous claim she couldn't back up when asked. Vincent Browne would have the evidence researched and presentable before even suggesting such a thing.
    I think both of you missed the point I was making. I was not suggesting that Gemma's claims should be taken seriously. I'm saying it's quite right that both her and Trump's claims be dismissed out of hand in the absence of immediate evidence, whereas if (respectable) Democrats or Vincent Browne made claims, they would likely be taken seriously and afforded more time to present evidence due to their standing and history.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Do the testimonies from challengers and observers not seem credible at all to you? Being intimidated out of the room, observing blatant interference with ballots etc. I know that the 'correct' opinion over here is to see Trump supporters as either being zany religious nuts, rednecks, or I'm alright Jacks but they seemed pretty lucid, earnest and upset from the footage that I watched. Some of them are even registered Democrats.

The best one I've seen was of Dem staff assuming a woman of Indian descent was one of them and filling her in on the gameplan. When they saw her Rep badge they said 'Oh you're on the wrong side'. If there was in fact significant fraud and Biden is inaugurated on the back of it, that's a worse scenario for the US because the bitterness will be unreal.

I'd say you probably quoted the wrong poster dude.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Just on that, a point that I think tends to be overlooked; Fine Gael, the most "conservative" mainstream Irish party had a referendum to legalise divorce, then another 10 years later to try again and another to loosen the restrictions. And they had the referendum to legalise gay marriage. And to legalise abortion.

Not to mention, Fine Gael has a gay leader, something no US Party will perhaps nominate for at least a few more cycles, it was good to see Pete Buttigieg who was, and is, a good candidate at least make the primaries, and he may have chances in the future. But all our parties bar Gemma O'D and her nutcases are soo far to the left of even the democrats there is no comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Do the testimonies from challengers and observers not seem credible at all to you?

Did you miss the post directly above yours?

Here's a reminder:

https://twitter.com/TepidButterASMR/status/1333862192928731142?s=19

Which of those "testimonies" seem credible to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Midlife wrote: »
    We have a lot in common with the US. There are parts we admire and look up to.

Then there's parts of the country that are totally nuts to us.

Sadly, the parts we can admire are being trashed and the whole thing is becoming exponentially more nuts Every.Single.Day.

So sad to see an Empire falling apart before our very eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Seanachai, have you the link for the video with this "woman of Indian descent"?

• Advertisement

Seanachai, have you the link for the video with this "woman of Indian descent"?

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1334316061605421059

Inquitus wrote: »

Heres an example of everyday racism i face..... also im equally as racist to other people

Heres an example of everyday racism i face..... also im equally as racist to other people

There is some Science behind this, if you were raised in a predominately Ethnic A society you will be worse at distinguishing and remembering Ethnic B faces, this does however go both ways. As cultures have become more integrated however our brains get much better at this.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/neurophilosophy/2011/aug/15/people-other-races-look-alike

There is some Science behind this, if you were raised in a predominately Ethnic A society you will be worse at distinguishing and remembering Ethnic B faces, this does however go both ways. As cultures have become more integrated however our brains get much better at this.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/neurophilosophy/2011/aug/15/people-other-races-look-alike

Ohh i know the science its just this is testimony is in my opinion coming more from a racist view while similarly complaining about racism towards them and i loved the hypocrisy

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ohh i know the science its just this is testimony is in my opinion coming more from a racist view while similarly complaining about racism towards them and i loved the hypocrisy

Well - She does say - "If some CHOW comes along, they could be anybody, I mean how would you know"

Chow - Doesn't even have the self-awareness to not use the racist epithet at a televised public hearing , nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So not only are the trump lawyers quoting the movie my cousin vinny to make legal arguments but now they have found the real life version of one of Cecily strong’s characters from SNL during a hearing in Michigan ffs. And the funny thing is that Rudy guilianni was trying to reign her in. Rudy is now the voice of reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So not only are the trump lawyers quoting the movie my cousin vinny to make legal arguments but now they have found the real life version of one of Cecily strong’s characters from SNL during a hearing in Michigan ffs. And the funny thing is that Rudy guilianni was trying to reign her in. Rudy is now the voice of reason.

Welp, thats it...we didnt think 2020 had anything left, but....we have literally entered the Twilight Zone now!

In what fantastical world do these supposed learned individuals think putting people with such insane theories into a court of law will somehow work in their favour? Is it just to keep cases going so daddy Don could slap "Election is still under doubt, now ignore the publics votes and election college and all that dumb democracy stuff just say I'm President again!" into the faces of Republican lawmakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/marisakabas/status/1334315220815278080?s=24

If you had this woman show up to testify defence for a parking ticket, you would go to jail. Christ almighty, this is what Trump is using...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Gintonious wrote: »

If you had this woman show up to testify defence for a parking ticket, you would go to jail. Christ almighty, this is what Trump is using...

Let's also not forget that the "affidavit" that she keeps talking about was dismissed in court a few weeks ago
    as "simply not credible.”
    Judge Kenny had also rejected that story, saying that Ms. Carone’s description of the events at a vote counting center in Detroit “does not square with any of the other affidavits” and that her “allegations simply are not credible.”

They've already been laughed out of court with her evidence , yet they roll her out again here..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Even Rudy is trying to hold her back. Jeez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,486 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Let's also not forget that the "affidavit" that she keeps talking about was dismissed in court a few weeks ago
    as "simply not credible.”

They've already been laughed out of court with her evidence , yet they roll her out again here..

The best is every time they get laughed out of court we get the Trump zealots telling us that "yeah, but the next case is the big one"

How anyone can't see through this charade at this stage deserves to lose any money they give to Don the con.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

How much did he raise to battle this in the courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The best is every time they get laughed out of court we get the Trump zealots telling us that "yeah, but the next case is the big one"

How anyone can't see through this charade at this stage deserves to lose any money they give to Don the con.

Anyone would begin to question why they didn't start with the really really solid evidence. Strange approach alright, but little by little I'm sure they'll come up with something that isn't total utter scuttery nonsense, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

How much did he raise to battle this in the courts?

My guess would be that they raised a lot more than the cost of the various court cases and showcase fake 'hearings'.

check_six wrote: »
    My guess would be that they raised a lot more than the cost of the various court cases and showcase fake 'hearings'.

$170 million raised so far, of which $150 million goes nowhere near the legal 'fights', given that the first $5,000 or so of each donation for the 'legal fund' is going instead on paying off RNC /Campaign debts and adding to another Trump PAC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Gintonious wrote: »

I've got a feeling that "I signed something that can get me sent to prison" attempt at virtue signalling is reeeeeaaalllly going to come back to bite her in the ass.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    $170 million raised so far, of which $150 million goes nowhere near the legal 'fights', given that the first $5,000 or so of each donation for the 'legal fund' is going instead on paying off RNC /Campaign debts and adding to another Trump PAC.

A Trump PAC which undoubtedly rents a lot of space from the Trump hotel or office company.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Question - If either or both of the GOP candidates in Georgia were to lose the run-off elections , It's fair to say that they will almost certainly follow the Trump plan and appeal/challenge every possible thing.

What happens to the Seats in the Senate during that timeframe and how long can they drag it out?

For example , lets say the Democrats take both seats - When do those winners take their seats and when is the vote for the leader of the Senate and would that be the deadline for any challenges to be resolved?

Question - If either or both of the GOP candidates in Georgia were to lose the run-off elections , It's fair to say that they will almost certainly follow the Trump plan and appeal/challenge every possible thing.

What happens to the Seats in the Senate during that timeframe and how long can they drag it out?

For example , lets say the Democrats take both seats - When do those winners take their seats and when is the vote for the leader of the Senate and would that be the deadline for any challenges to be resolved?

That's a great question.

AFAIK, the current Senate ends on January 3rd. Accordingly, I'm assuming both Loeffler and Perdue are no longer Senators on that date. So, from 3rd January until such time as election results are certified and then the incoming Senators take their seats, GA will be without a sitting Senator.

Now, there may be some law whereby the Governor may appoint someone on a temporary basis while the election plays out- I don't know. He did appoint Loeffler on that basis, but that was in 2019, with more than a year to go to an election. Would that be done to keep a seat warm for.just a few days or weeks? I don't know. But nothing would surprise me.

In any event, the 'interregnum' is unlikely to help Democrats one way or the other, unless Mc Connell and Pence preside over shenannigans and some 'honourable' GOPpers cross the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Biden is really trying to tick all the boxes with his appointments.
    He has named a historic all-female senior White House press staff, with four of the seven appointees women of color.

The faces of the economic team include an African American woman, a man born in Nigeria, an Indian American woman and just one white man.

I guess he has to pay BLM back for all their trojan work in the last 8 months, he wouldn't be President Elect but for them .

Advertisement