Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US Presidential Election 2020 Thread II - Judgement Day(s)

Options

Comments

When you and others on the left are not busy admonishing the rest of us to be "civil" in our discussions of political issues, you are busy letting loose insults, accusations and smears against those who dare to disagree with you.

One thing that Biden has done is certainly trigger people on here who have issues with women and people who aren't white into having hissy fits.

When you and others on the left are not busy admonishing the rest of us to be "civil" in our discussions of political issues, you are busy letting loose insults, accusations and smears against those who dare to disagree with you.

You have about a dozen posts by looks of things that are complaining about highly qualified people have been appointed to roles in the Biden administration. You've implied they're not qualified for the roles and the primary reason they got the roles are because of their race or gender. You've even picked on the fact that one of them wasn't born in America. On top of that, you appear to have a pretty long history of finding the entire idea of BLM abhorrent. I would say your motivations are pretty and nasty.

By the way, most of that press team for example have previously worked with Biden or Harris in the past... It's almost as if they're hiring highly qualified people that they know who can hit the ground running....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

DubInMeath wrote: »
    One thing that Biden has done is certainly trigger people on here who have issues with women and people who aren't white into having hissy fits.

And Joe still weeks away from taking the reins... Dunno how these folks will cope at all when President Joe starts signing Executive Orders!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

You have about a dozen posts by looks of things that are complaining about highly qualified people have been appointed to roles in the Biden administration. You've implied they're not qualified for the roles and the primary reason they got the roles are because of their race or gender. You've even picked on the fact that one of them wasn't born in America. On top of that, you appear to have a pretty long history of finding the entire idea of BLM abhorrent. I would say your motivations are pretty and nasty.

<b>By the way, most of that press team for example have previously worked with Biden or Harris in the past... It's almost as if they're hiring highly qualified people that they know who can hit the ground running....</b>

Wow! That's a strange way to operate!

Next thing you'll find is that President Joe will actually be a POTUS of/for ALL Americans, and not just a tool of a few! Strange times ahead indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I wonder what will happen with some of these QAnon types when Biden gets inaugurated, I'm expecting that they will argue that Trump is secretly a shadow president dictating to Biden while he works on exposing a Epstein collusion ring or something

Or will they begin the sudden and painful but badly needed adjustment to reality

It always struck me as an awkward fit that the Hero in their theory was actually the person in the seat of power. Typically the hero is an actual outsider without any real power.

I think when Trump is no longer President it will, unfortunately, only turbo-charge the movement. I mean sure it doesn't fit in with the story that they had been spinning all along but it's not like rational people were attracted to this in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I would say your motivations are petty and nasty.

A typical nasty and personal remark from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭relax carry on

When you and others on the left/quote]

Why is it that Trump defenders declare anyone who doesn't agree with their musings is on the "left"? "Left" by Irish standards? American? Left of Republicans? Left of Trump? Left of whatever ideas the particular poster holds dear? Its truly baffling.

I think Trump is terrible human being, a 3rd rate conman, a failure as businessman and POTUS. Am I now left because I believe the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I wonder what will happen with some of these QAnon types when Biden gets inaugurated, I'm expecting that they will argue that Trump is secretly a shadow president dictating to Biden while he works on exposing a Epstein collusion ring or something

Or will they begin the sudden and painful but badly needed adjustment to reality

I was watching a stream from a lawyer a few days ago who was fairly balanced and was saying it has been decided was getting it in the neck from his viewers. The 2 comments I loved was 1. The constitution says you have to have a presidents but it doesn't say how many. His answer was it says a president which means one.

2. Trump should sack all those democratic lawyers and hire republicans. His answer you need to see how the law works

• Registered Users Posts: 14,675 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Why is it that Trump defenders declare anyone who doesn't agree with their musings is on the "left"?

Why is it that anyone on this thread who criticises Biden is declared a Trumpster or a Trump fan ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,146 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What even IS the criticism here? Biden seems to have picked well qualified people, but because they betray a likely tactic of inclusion this is worth criticism ... ... because? Beyond fatuous snark about PC this n that I don't see the angle. I wouldn't mind if they were a bunch of Sarah Palins but by all accounts they seem to have good CVs and prior relevent experience. It's the boring work of assembling a competent government; truly discussion is starved for outrage if a lopsided number of vaginas in a lineup if civil servants is somehow worthy of contempt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why is it that anyone on this thread who criticises Biden is declared a Trumpster or a Trump fan ??
    They usually declare themselves. Generally up front, but often with fact free posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,297 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There may well be reason to criticise Biden in the future, when, and if, he has had chance to do something and failed. However he is, for the moment a breath of sanity, honesty and integrity, and even if this proves to be relative, it is so welcome at the moment that there is no point or need to criticise him.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

looksee wrote: »
    There may well be reason to criticise Biden in the future, when, and if, he has had chance to do something and failed. However he is, for the moment a breath of sanity, honesty and integrity, and even if this proves to be relative, it is so welcome at the moment that there is no point or need to criticise him.

Amen. And you know, when he does well, Trump supporters will not acknowledge it. I'm sure he can live with that. I personally am delighted for Amerca that they have an intelligent leader at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I'm fairness, you're actively giving out about CNN, those on the left, BLM, Biden.

You can understand why people would assume you're a Trump fan.

Maybe you can show us all the posts where you gave about his administration, those on the right, fox news and his pretty much all-white appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭eire4

Trump has set the bar so low that a roomful of monkeys typing randomly on typewriters acting as hilarious random number generator connected to a yes/no light for any executive/presidential decision would do a better job of running the US.

Not only is Trump a terrible president he was willfully so. Sort of how premeditated murder is a worse offence than manslaughter

Funny post gave me a good laugh but sadly so very true as well. There was a time when I used to think of the US as a country to look up to and admire. Now I just shake my head and think what a disaster and that is being generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

One thing missed in all the noise is that Puerto Rico voted for statehood with 53% vote

So we now could endup with 52 states (+DC as well)
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/12/06/washington_must_grant_puerto_rico_statehood_finally_144793.html

This is a real big deal, would've been top news in a normal election.

Now, the gaming of the process begins; Congress already approved DC.

That Georgia election has become hypercritical. F*ck the voters of Maine who didn't boot Susan Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

One thing missed in all the noise is that Puerto Rico voted for statehood with 53% vote

So we now could endup with 52 states (+DC as well)
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/12/06/washington_must_grant_puerto_rico_statehood_finally_144793.html
    That vote was a non-binding plebiscite. There is no obligation for the United States to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That vote was a non-binding plebiscite. There is no obligation for the United States to accept it.
    It definitely should happen for Puerto Rico if only to give them some status within the USA. Very much treated as a second-class citizen as are the PRs themselves. Not sure of the process, is it like the one for Constitutional amendments?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

prawnsambo wrote: »
    It definitely should happen for Puerto Rico if only to give them some status within the USA. Very much treated as a second-class citizen as are the PRs themselves. Not sure of the process, is it like the one for Constitutional amendments?

As far as I can see , it's just an act of congress - So a Vote passed in each House and it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,585 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The Republicans actually had support for Puerto Rico statehood in their 2016 platform (this part of which they didn't modify for 2020). There are probably enough Republican votes in the Senate for it to happen. The problem is, as ever, Mitch McConnell, who won't bring it to a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

You mean like when the UK government didn't have to act on the Brexit Referendum! :)

Once they're part of the states I wouldn't expect Puerto Rico to be completely Blue. Would have 5 or 6 seats in congress, could well have 2 of them be GOP. Senate might be both Blue at the the start.
    GOP have little interest in allowing DC in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

49/50 states have now certified their results. Missouri is the final one. I cannot think why - it wasn't particularly close. Georgia managed 2 recounts in the same time.

49/50 states have now certified their results. Missouri is the final one. I cannot think why - it wasn't particularly close. Georgia managed 2 recounts in the same time.

In general, the less close a state is, the slower it counted. They put less resources into counting because there is less uncertainty about the outcome.

It's why most of the 'safe' red or blue states were called essentially as soon as voting closed, regardless of whether counting had begun or not.

Supreme court rejects Republican demands to overturn Pennsylvania

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9032445/Supreme-Court-REJECTS-Republican-demand-overturn-Joe-Bidens-victory-Pennsylvania.html

I wonder if Ken Paxton is fishing for a pardon!!

Supreme court rejects Republican demands to overturn Pennsylvania

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9032445/Supreme-Court-REJECTS-Republican-demand-overturn-Joe-Bidens-victory-Pennsylvania.html

I wonder if Ken Paxton is fishing for a pardon!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It just never ends:
    The state of Texas, aiming to help US president Donald Trump upend the results of the election, said on Tuesday it has sued Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin at the supreme court, calling changes those states made to election procedures amid the coronavirus pandemic unlawful.

The long-shot lawsuit, announced by the Republican attorney general of Texas Ken Paxton, was being filed directly with the supreme court rather than with a lower court, as is permitted for certain litigation between states. The supreme court has a 6-3 conservative majority including three justices appointed by Mr Trump.

The legal action represents the latest effort intended to reverse the Republican president’s loss to Democratic president-elect Joe Biden in the November 3rd election. Those efforts have so far failed and experts said the Texas suit is also unlikely to succeed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/texas-asks-us-supreme-court-to-help-trump-upend-election-1.4431137

---

The futility of all of this just beggars belief.

When does it end?

Well yesterday was the "Safe Harbor Deadline", which is a bit of a legal deadline in terms of challenging the results in state courts, although pending lawsuits can continue.

Monday December 14th is when the Electoral College will vote. There shouldn't be any hiccups here because all the states have certified, and the states Biden won will send Democrat electors.

January 6th is when Congress counts the electoral votes, more of a ceremonial process than anything. Congresspeople can challenge the count, but both the House and Senate would have to vote to uphold any challenge, and that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It just never ends:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/texas-asks-us-supreme-court-to-help-trump-upend-election-1.4431137

---

The futility of all of this just beggars belief.

When does it end?

With the recent USSC ruling the message is clear - stop wasting the court's time.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/09/politics/trump-election-fraud-claims-supreme-court-rebuke/index.html

Great quote from that article: "The only questions now are how many more times President Donald Trump wants to lose the election to President-elect Joe Biden "

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Igotadose wrote: »
    With the recent USSC ruling the message is clear - stop wasting the court's time.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/09/politics/trump-election-fraud-claims-supreme-court-rebuke/index.html

Great quote from that article: "The only questions now are how many more times President Donald Trump wants to lose the election to President-elect Joe Biden "

Hopefully they'll bounce the rubbish from Texas/Paxton very shortly as well.

Advertisement