Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Wife had something similar a couple of weeks back, started with the hives, followed by breathing being tight and then the cough started. Never linked the hives to the respiratory symptoms which she assumed were asthma related but she got tested and was negative for Covid. Maybe was some other virus going around

Sounds like shingles. Hope she is feeling better.

Where were they located? Were they sore?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 solan

Hi all,

I have to travel home from Scotland next week, coming from Shetland via Belfast and on to Sligo. Its essential travel / compassionate grounds as my Mam is very ill. I am coming from an almost Covid free area and will quarentine for two weeks before seeing anyone.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form. The fact I am flying from Shetland in to Belfast, and then driving from Belfast to Sligo means I am officially, coming in to the Republic from NI and it seems to say because of that , I dont need to fill one in.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks ðŸ‘

khalessi wrote: »
    Sounds like shingles. Hope she is feeling better.

Where were they located? Were they sore?

She is pretty sure it was a food allergy allergy, and quite probable was the same thing that triggered her asthma which is usually triggered by certain allergens. I thought it was interesting that poster was describing similar symptoms and wondered may it have been a different virus doing the rounds. She is all good thanks. Back out running

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭manniot2

solan wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have to travel home from Scotland next week, coming from Shetland via Belfast and on to Sligo. Its essential travel / compassionate grounds as my Mam is very ill. I am coming from an almost Covid free area and will quarentine for two weeks before seeing anyone.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to fill in a Passenger Locator Form. The fact I am flying from Shetland in to Belfast, and then driving from Belfast to Sligo means I am officially, coming in to the Republic from NI and it seems to say because of that , I dont need to fill one in.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks ðŸ‘

sorry to hear your news. dont think u need to fill anything in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Russman

Friend of mine tested positive a week and a half ago. Contacts have been tested twice now - 2 of them including her cousin have been with her every single day before and since her test.
    All of them tested negative, twice.
    I'm very confused.

There was a study/report, might have been linked on here several pages ago, or on one of the other threads, suggesting that something like 20/30% of people are responsible for 80% of the spread and for whatever reason, some people act as superspreaders and some barely spread it at all. It was very much in the “more work work required” sphere, but maybe there’s something to it.

Friend of mine lives with his 3 teenage kids - one of the kids got it (with symptoms) and my friend and the other two kids all tested negative twice and never got it. It’s a weird virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

Hi all,

Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks ðŸ‘

All of the details are here.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ab900-covid-19-passenger-locator-form/

I'm not sure if they'd consider traveling THROUGH Northern Ireland as travelling FROM Northern Ireland. It's not really defined and I guess it would need clarification either by the government or in a court case to clear it up.

If you're self-isolating anyway, I wouldn't really see why you wouldn't fill it in to be on the safe side, as you sound like you are basically using a backdoor route, rather than actually travelling from NI. It isn't going to bring any more onerous requirements upon you anyway, but it just means if there is an issue there's a track and trace in place.

For all intents and purposes, whether you took a ferry to Belfast or Dublin makes no difference to the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is in a different country to the Republic of Ireland.
    For real legal purposes related to coronavirus restrictions.
    Just flagging this to other posters that this distinction is lost on some posters on this thread.

Just got rid of the binge drinking and you dig this up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭440Hertz

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Northern Ireland is in a different country to the Republic of Ireland.
    For real legal purposes related to coronavirus restrictions.
    Just flagging this to other posters that this distinction is lost on some posters on this thread.

To head off another discussion about the constitutional position of Northern Ireland and whether or not the border exists: It's a different jurisdiction on the Island of Ireland. In terms of identity for many people it's the same country (and with Irish citizenship rights for those who want them) but for all practical and legal purposes, with reference to COVID-19 it's a different jurisdiction with different laws, health authorities, regulations and is also now outside the EU, albeit pending the end of the transition period which has kept things going as per normal until 31/01/2021.

They are simply allowing normal freedom of movement across the border for residents of either jurisdiction and it's definitely up in the air as to how that's supposed to work.

Now can we get back to discussion of COVID.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,935 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just got rid of the binge drinking and you to dig this up.

I don't want to dig anything up.
    But if someone asks about coming through N Ireland and another poster replies on the presumption this is one jurisdiction it needs to be flagged.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ax530

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Just talking to my mother earlier today.

She said she had a headache and tiredness the past few weeks.

Headache and fatigue are key symptoms of covid. I don't think enough people are aware of that. Not everyone develops cough or fever.

I know people who tested positive due to close contact, fatigue, light headed only symptom thankfully. No high temp or cough. Advised you and mother are tested so can isolate and contact trace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

341 now in hospital that is highest since 20th of May

38 now in ICU

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ax530 wrote: »
    I know people who tested positive due to close contact, fatigue, light headed only symptom thankfully. No high temp or cough. Advised you and mother are tested so can isolate and contact trace

Thank you.

I advised her to get tested, but she said the symptoms went away a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,093 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I woke this morning with itchy bites or hives everywhere. My breathing is a little tight, but not much. Now i have sniffles a bit. Feeling a little off, or maybe just paranoid.

I'll see how i feel tomorrow, but going to stay at home for now.

Take care and if worried speak to your GP

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

38 now in ICU
    Almost every hospital total posted here in the last few days has has been the highest since May. There's a lag between infection, onset of symptoms, hospitalisation and ICU admission. The hospital figures will peak several weeks after the peak in case numbers so we have some way to run there yet.

I would be guessing that hospitalisation figures will peak around early to mid November, but that is dependent on how many of the current cases are related to outbreaks within hospitals that will not follow the trajectory of the infection itself.

Take care and if worried speak to your GP

Thanks. Im still unsure if it's anything at all, but will stay at home and contact my GP if i feel worse. The GP is really under pressure. Took me a few attempts to contact the surgery last week (by phone, for a script) .

marno21 wrote: »
    Almost every hospital total posted here in the last few days has has been the highest since May. There's a lag between infection, onset of symptoms, hospitalisation and ICU admission. The hospital figures will peak several weeks after the peak in case numbers so we have some way to run there yet.

I would be guessing that hospitalisation figures will peak around early to mid November, but that is dependent on how many of the current cases are related to outbreaks within hospitals that will not follow the trajectory of the infection itself.

There is quite a lag.

I see also that UK are reporting deaths only for those within 28 days of a positive test. That's excluding a lot of deaths. Their figures are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

There is quite a lag.

I see also that UK are reporting deaths only for those within 28 days of a positive test. That's excluding a lot of deaths. Their figures are rubbish.
    They're including plenty of nonsense deaths. Under their rules if you faced a firing squad within 28 days of a positive test you would be classed as a COVID death.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

They all live together.

Wow. I'm very confused with this whole thing. What is going on?

I know, stupid question when people are just as confused as I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

owlbethere wrote: »
    There was no need for a level 5. Level 3 would ha e been more than enough.

I’m sure doctors, nurses, virologists, and the vast array of other medical and hospital staff would agree with you wholeheartedly, not. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

38 now in ICU
    Bank holiday weekend - no discharges. Would expect that number to drop significantly on Wednesday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

That Irish study with spread on a plane has gone international. Added to the corpus of evidence of infection on planes at this stage. Again this is not the main issue. It's when people get off the plane. Never the less our own public health professionals and the National Virus Reference Laboratory lab should be commended for going where no politician would dare. Hopefully they don't face any consequences for not toeing the party line. It may not be China but people have been disappeared professionally here when big business have been reported on in the past.

@WhistleIRL springs to mind.

https://twitter.com/AliNouriPhD/status/1320822529821495297?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Did I read earlier that 45% of covid cases in hospital went in to hospital without it?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

Are people on bikes able to get by the restrictions?

Some of the most pro lockdown people on my social media posting pictures from the likes of Howth and Bray

People are muppets

exemption for professional athletes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

There is quite a lag.

The died within 28 days of testing positive thing has to be the most absolutely illogical and senseless method of death counting that could be dreamed up

Some somebody could recover and have a heart attack nearly a month later and they are a covid death in the U.K.
    Another covid patient who struggled for 29 days in icu before succumbing is not counted as a covid death

Who tf made this system . Why would not just count hospital deaths and then have a coroner decide whether covid was the cause or not of the positive death like we do

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I

I've actually been living in Scotland for almost two decades, it's not that I've just nipped away for the weekend, and its why I'm questioning what the procedure is because there are legal requirements and penalties around travelling from the UK to Ireland.

It would appear as if there's no need to fill out the form but if you are going to quarantine for 14 days on arrival I would do so anyway as it can't hurt to complete the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Are people on bikes able to get by the restrictions?

Some of the most pro lockdown people on my social media posting pictures from the likes of Howth and Bray

People are muppets

I was stopped at a checkpoint on a bike. Couple of cars in front of me, Garda was standing by the kerb so wasn’t sure what to do. Just got in line with the cars and he asked me all the same questions, how far I was from home and why I was >5km away, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The way i look at that is to estimate what are the chances of a random person who died but happened to be covid +, well it would be less than one in a hundred.

So if that policy were skewing figures, it would be by less than one percent.

If we went and tested 10000 people at random would we expect less than 100 positives at the current time?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    The died within 28 days of testing positive thing has to be the most absolutely illogical and senseless method of death counting that could be dreamed up

Some somebody could recover and have a heart attack nearly a month later and they are a covid death in the U.K.
    Another covid patient who struggled for 29 days in icu before succumbing is not counted as a covid death

Who tf made this system . Why would not just count hospital deaths and then have a coroner decide whether covid was the cause or not of the positive death like we do

I can only conclude that it is a way of disguising the death toll.

robbiezero wrote: »
    If we went and tested 10000 people at random would we expect less than 100 positives at the current time?

Yes. Sky news had community testing figures recently whereby the highest figure in some city was 1% of the population currently have active infection. Most other areas a lot less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I can only conclude that it is a way of disguising the death toll.

How much is the death toll above average in Ireland this year?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement