Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXVII- 62,002 ROI (1,915 deaths) 39,609 NI (724 deaths) (02/11) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Steve F wrote: »
    Does anyone here get the impression that some shops are claiming themselves to be supplying "essential services"?

My understanding is they can open to sell essential items/services and only those essential items and services.
    Like Homestore and More reopening after the initial lockdown, they had all but the kitchen area open.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In her position yes. Surely if you think so etching is so fundamentally wrong then you have to have the genesis of a counter idea.

If you are a selector on a team and you disagree with an idea from a fellow selector you can't just disagree for the sake of it without a different idea.
    The only alternative I can think of is mass death as our hospitals and ICUs are over-run.

I wish those who think we should not be doing what we are doing would be challenged more robustly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Yes. I know of a clothes shop that got one snickers workweek shirt in so that they can claim to supply workweek and thus can remain open. Totally against the spirit of what we are being asked to do.

You mean the spirt of trying to make a living.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    You cant do that if nothing is correct

If nothing is correct, then everything is wrong?
    Why is she advocating level 5 is wrong, when in your logic, not going to level 5 would be wrong also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

niallo27 wrote: »

I think he means the spirit of keeping people living.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Yes. I know of a clothes shop that got one snickers workweek shirt in so that they can claim to supply workweek and thus can remain open. Totally against the spirit of what we are being asked to do.

who cares, hope they make it through

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Numbers have fallen day on day recently. Today's are a very significant fall.

So let's rule out level-5 restrictions as having anything to thank for this, as we're constantly told it takes 2 weeks to see numbers mirror restrictions.

Therefore, level-3 was possibly working, but the reaction in numbers takes longer to register than we were led to believe?

Is that a fair question to ask?

Not much comfort for all the businesses who have been shut down but it's a fair question yes?

And if so, and lets say numbers continue to fall, will we even know if it was going that way anyway under level-3 and if level-5 was necessary at all?

I mean we're obviously seeing numbers going downward anyway so if Tony Holohan is justified with his level-5 then you need to factor in the current downward trend before his level-5 stuff don't you?

So with the trend going down and positive signs and all from level-3, I'd hope Holohans total lockdown will accelerate this reduction fairly rapidly to justify ruining our economy when its now becoming apparent that numbers were already dropping from level-3, albeit belatedly.
    Bottom line, If Tony doesn't come back and press all sorts of panic buttons, our numbers would still be reducing day on day and we wouldn't be locking down the nation.
    Because NPHET were happy enough with the level-3 situation til he returned. I'd have MASSIVE doubts about that fella personally.
    Let alone his previous..... He's lucky to be in a job at all after the fiasco he oversaw. Now he's at it again.

I'd say look at it over the course of the next 2 weeks as opposed to a one day number.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,116 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’m more concerned with people and businesses who behave in the spirit of adherence to restrictions and not facilitating people getting sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Let them go on the dole, be grand.

who cares, hope they make it through

The issue may arise when other shops that closed see others still open and they too decide to reopen and so on and so forth.

Always reminds me being stuck in traffic for ages and suddenly one car drives into the bus lane and off they go, quickly you see cars who have been stuck with you all drive up the bus lane etc...
    It's even more sweet when you finally get further along and there all stopped in the bus lane by a guard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I listened to the soundbyte. She said we failed to use the lockdown, as WHO state (should not be used as a primary tool in a pandemic as the side effects are worse if you continual use it) as a time to put our house/medical systems in order... we see that with the lack of ICU beds and staff and the contact tracing issue.

So I would presume part of the solution she is impling is what we should have done that over the summer and that better late than never and thats what we should be doing right now.

The question is what right now, are the HSE/nephet/government doing?
    What is working what is not working and what are the solutions and are they being acted on right now? So we dont repeat ourselves in a loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Wolf359f wrote: »
    The issue may arise when other shops that closed see others still open and they too decide to reopen and so on and so forth.

Always reminds me being stuck in traffic for ages and suddenly one car drives into the bus lane and off they go, quickly you see cars who have been stuck with you all drive up the bus lane etc...
    It's even more sweet when you finally get further along and there all stopped in the bus lane by a guard.

Even worse if they knock down a cyclist

• Registered Users Posts: 14,348 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

nphet and the government seem hell bent on destroying any potential left for small businesses in this country. if they can make enough to survive the next six weeks all power to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Blondini wrote: »
    I think he means the spirit of keeping people living.

Shut down society going forward so to keep people living.

People don't just die of Covid.

Shutting down society indefinitely will save lives.

Sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

miece16 wrote: »
    777. Massive decrease

Massive decrease because they basically haven't contact traced since Saturday.

Wait till you see the numbers as a result of that!

nphet and the government seem hell bent on destroying any potential left for small businesses in this country. if they can make enough to survive the next six weeks all power to them.

I'm sure you would also side with pubs and nightclubs if some decided to reopen also? I mean, more power to them....
    It's not just the fact the shop is opened, it's the fact they will also have customers and customers means people travelling and moving about, which is the reason to close non essential retail.... to reduce non essential movement of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭brookers

Steve F wrote: »
    Does anyone here get the impression that some shops are claiming themselves to be supplying "essential services"?

I know of a pound shop that is open, they sell crisps, washing up liquid and tea bags and long life buns in a packet....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This seems to be the lockdown phase with the capacity to be most damaging to the economy for least reduction in cases. It's not sustainable.

A shorter real lockdown or a proper run of Level 3 with actual enforcement this time would seem to be more tolerable \ sustainable.

Its all BS.
    Just step back and look at the carry on.
    • People walking about with face shields. - not worth a dam
    • Perspex Screens at shop tills. : - a joke
    • Closing small shops, pubs, cafes etc yet the likes of Tesco and lidl have shopping aisles jammed less than 2m apart filled with Alcohol, Electrical items etc : A farce and a slap in the face to small Business
    • HSE staff such as senior Dentists asked to do Covid testing. Ok this is within reason but what's not within reason is to continue paying them surgeons wages while doing the work of a lab tech. Yet its ok to tell Joe bloggs he can't work and must live off 350 per week and less in cases.
    • Garda blocking traffic to abuse peoples freedom of movement. As if anyone who is not going to work etc is going to own up to them assh0l3s
    • None stop coverage by RTE : - there's no way in hell I'm paying my TV licence again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Bismarck was once asked what he would do if the British Army invaded Prussia.

He said he would send the local police force to arrest them.

miece16 wrote: »
    777. Massive decrease
    Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Massive decrease because they basically haven't contact traced since Saturday.

Wait till you see the numbers as a result of that!

It's a massive decrease of reported cases in a day, we all know there's still hundreds of cases to be still reported over the coming days.

They haven't contact traced in a week, so are you expecting numbers to go up over the course of the next week or so?

• Advertisement

Maybe I missed this on here, but what changes did the HSE bring in on Oct 8th to the pcr test/system...it is being referred to elsewhere online.. some announcement/notice? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Yeah maybe they are kind of concerned with minor things like how they'll keep a business afloat and how they'll support their children after the latest lockdown and paying a mortgage and stuff.
    I mean we're all in this together aren't we?
    It's extraordinary how the small business self employed are expected to just give up their only source of income permanently as businesses close and still feel as motivated as the ones temporarily laid off who will have a job to return to.
    And even then you'll find big businesses will be looking at this and thinking whatever they can do to become less reliable on human staff the better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

brookers wrote: »
    I know of a pound shop that is open, they sell crisps, washing up liquid and tea bags and long life buns in a packet....

Pound shops were open the last time. Dealz, Mr.Price, Eurogiant, they were all open. Got simple shopping fixes through these the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Could we develop a shrink ray and then send a tiny contingent of guards to arrest the microbes?

Of course they'd probably get away with a suspended sentence but it's worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

What is likely to happen if we have zero restrictions, no lockdown, no sanitiser, no social distancing and no face masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

It's a massive decrease of reported cases in a day, we all know there's still hundreds of cases to be still reported over the coming days.

They haven't contact traced in a week, so are you expecting numbers to go up over the course of the next week or so?

Yes I would be expecting cases to go up over the course of next week or so.

To be honest, I never realised exactly the scale of their backlog and how much they have lost control of the traciking and tracing until last weekend when I witnessed it for myself. It's deplorable and daily case numbers mean Sweet FA at this stage

Maybe I chose the wrong post to quote - but I find it just at pointless saying 'oh brilliant, we're going in the right direction' as those on here who feel the need to call out the 'doom merchants' for expressing concern over the same set of (pointless) figures

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Yes I would be expecting cases to go up over the course of next week or so.

To be honest, I never realised exactly the scale of their backlog and how much they have lost control of the traciking and tracing until last weekend when I witnessed it for myself. It's deplorable and daily case numbers mean Sweet FA at this stage

Maybe I chose the wrong post to quote - but I find it just at pointless saying 'oh brilliant, we're going in the right direction' as those on here who feel the need to call out the 'doom merchants' for expressing concern over the same set of (pointless) figures

What happened to you last weekend if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

kippy wrote: »
    I'd say look at it over the course of the next 2 weeks as opposed to a one day number.

I'd say look at it over the course of the past 2 weeks.

You can easily see a dip last few days. So lets be clear that has nothing to do with these level-5 restrictions.
    The curve is already fairly quickly going in a good direction.
    Obviously has nothing to do with level-5, it's too fast for that.

Pound shops were open the last time. Dealz, Mr.Price, Eurogiant, they were all open. Got simple shopping fixes through these the last time.

Yup a lot of them sell milk, cheese, packets of meat, ready made sandwiches etc... I'd class them as essential.

Now if they install disco and strobe lights and call themselves DJ. Dealz....
    Or install weights, threadmills and rowing machines and call themselves Mr. 6-Pack Price, then that may be against the spirit of the advice.

• Advertisement

growleaves wrote: »
    Could we develop a shrink ray and then send a tiny contingent of guards to arrest the microbes?

Of course they'd probably get away with a suspended sentence but it's worth a try.

I wad thinking some boffins could come up with something like superglue to stick together the ends of rna strips to make them inert and we could all live together the virus and other species like humans, cats, dogs, ferrets, pangolins, tigers and dolphins etc. happily ever after.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement