Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 301 ✭✭Whatisthisnow

Finland and Sweden heading for lockdown this weekend.
    Longer lockdown = peoples health before profit

Still, something FF, something FG.

Yam, yam yam

Finland are going into lockdown for 3 weeks. We are lockdown since Christmas.

Sweden havnt decided yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

McMurphy wrote: »
    What are you actually talking about, this wasnt "a Sinn Fein highlight" I liked back to an article in the fuppin BBC for Christ sake :eek:

The SDLP and Sinn Fein wanted non essential travel banned Britain - the north. Fact.

The Alliance party along with the UUP/DUP blocked it. Also a fact.

There was a request for some kind of backing from the Irish government to help get it over the line.

Michaél did the square root of nothing to help, also a fact.

What should An Taoiseach have done, specifically?

SF agreed with those decisions at the time. All parties wrong on that one

Dosnt matter who agreed. The only ones that made it happen are THE GOVT

Finland are going into lockdown for 3 weeks. We are lockdown since Christmas.

Sweden havnt decided yet

Finland for at least 3 weeks.

Indecision by the Swedish government you say??? Well I thought that was just here in the 'Free State' as some call it. Maybe that's why their mortality rate is much higher than the Republic of Ireland, who as we know are Top 3 in that regard

Dosnt matter who agreed. The only ones that made it happen are THE GOVT

It kinda does though. It shows that the decision would have been at least as bad under their watch.

• Advertisement

Sinn Fein this, Sinn Fein that

What has Sinn Fein got to do with Govt decisions here?

NHPET advised open up household visits OR hospitality. The Govt ignored them and opened BOTH

That is why more people died in January

They have nothing to do with the decisions. Based on their track record in Northern Ireland, and their constant flip-flopping in opposition, long may that last

What should An Taoiseach have done, specifically?

Thank you for all your constructive and feasible suggestions to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Good man Leo.
    He's now let the brethren know to stop making themselves look silly.

You'd have to feel a bit silly now in hindsight, defending Leo/Michaél contradictions of each other insisting there's no misunderstanding of each other, and it's shoddy and misrepresentative journalism rather than poor communication.

Then Leo comes along and launches a "yeah, we're shyte at communications" torpedo and punches them below their water line.

Thank you for all your constructive and feasible suggestions to date.

It was answered.

You might have missed it.
    What did Simon Coveney 'do' during the Brexit negotiations?

He called out those who sought to damage ireland, he lobbied and he refuted arguments with the logic of Irelands position. MM ALSO had functions within the GFA and ancillary agreements to address issues of mutual concern at his disposal. It is called governing on behalf of your people.

On a lighter note, what are the opinions on the Affordable Housing Bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Finland and Sweden heading for lockdown this weekend.
    Longer lockdown = peoples health before profit

Still, something FF, something FG.

Yam, yam yam

There were posters on here telling us that FG were wrong last March to lockdown, that we should follow the Swedish strategy of herd immunity. They have mostly disappeared or changed their name as it has become clear that was a really bad option.

Similarly, the zero covid fanatics have dialled it back though some of them still surface with their demands for compulsory quarantine for all. Thankfully we have had a government steady enough to manage a path through this crisis that keeps the country as safe as possible.

They have nothing to do with the decisions. Based on their track record in Northern Ireland, and their constant flip-flopping in opposition, long may that last

Hows them lemons? Sinn Fein are more popular than Fine Gael and since election results, Fine Gael supporters cant deal with it

It was answered.

You might have missed it.

Thank you.

While there is superficial similarity, that intervention was for a different context, where the EU was the main target of Minister Coveney's good lobbying work.

Could you explain however, how that approach could have worked for the issue at hand, which would involve direct engagement with a different party altogether? One perhaps a little less amenable to the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Hows them lemons? Sinn Fein are more popular than Fine Gael and since election results, Fine Gael supporters cant deal with it

Interesting that yesterday you where using a poll from the Irish times to prove a point, but today you seem to have forgotten that the exact same poll clearly stats that FG remains the largest party based on the poll findings.

Why did you ignore that poll when make your statement above?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,438 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

What lemons?

Since the election results, Sinn Fein have had nothing to do with governing this country, and I, for one, am delighted and long may it continue.

There are a lot of SF-supporting lemons out there who have been unable to get used to the idea that they didn't win the election.

Perhaps they should have used that mandate to form a government. They had the numbers.
    Next time

Thank you.

While there is superficial similarity, that intervention was for a different context, where the EU was the main target of Minister Coveney's good lobbying work.

Could you explain however, how that approach could have worked for the issue at hand, which would involve direct engagement with a different party altogether? One perhaps a little less amenable to the message?

"Less amenable" Like What are you actually talking about:confused:

I'm trying to imagine who might be in attendance at any talks where an all island approach to tackling covid might have taken place between the executive, and the Irish and British Government.....

OK, so there's the main party's from the north, representatives from the Irish and British Govt.

Now I'm trying to think about who Simon Coveney would have been dealing with in the north ref the brexit negotiations....

OK, so there's the main party's from the north, representatives from the Irish and British Govt.

And sure obviously you're right - securing an all island approach to tackling the spread of covid within Ireland wouldnt interest the EU one tiny bit, even though we are an EU nation.

Fuppin hell.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    Interesting that yesterday you where using a poll from the Irish times to prove a point, but today you seem to have forgotten that the exact same poll clearly stats that FG remains the largest party based on the poll findings.

Elections > Polls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

That's not what the electorate said in the only poll that counts, an election.

I still don't see what SF has to do with FF/FG/Green performance in government.
    blanch152 wrote: »
    What lemons?

Since the election results, Sinn Fein have had nothing to do with governing this country, and I, for one, am delighted and long may it continue.

There are a lot of SF-supporting lemons out there who have been unable to get used to the idea that they didn't win the election.

See?

"Less amenable" Like What are you actually talking about:confused:

I'm trying to imagine who might be in attendance at any talks where an all island approach to tackling covid might have taken place between the executive, and the Irish and British Government.....

Now I'm trying to think about who Simon Coveney would have been dealing with in the north ref the brexit negotiations....

And sure obviously you're right - securing an all island approach to tackling the spread of covid within Ireland wouldnt interest the EU one tiny bit, even though we are an EU nation.

Fuppin hell.

Think it through

• Advertisement

Elections > Polls
    That's not what the electorate said in the only poll that counts, an election.

I still don't see what SF has to do with FF/FG/Green performance in government.

I replied to a poster who

1. Yesterday used a poll to argue a point and today ignores that exact same poll, to argue another point. - if it's ok to use the poll yesterday why not today?
    2. Said "Sinn Fein are more popular than Fine Gael and since election results". They were more populate at the last election, but you cannot stated they are more popular since if your don't accept the polls.

Think it through

I have thought it through.

My conclusion is, you're talking pony, and you know dam well you're talking pony.

776 cases. Back up they go as we let arrivals in without Quarantine and are opening up 2 extra school years than have been recommended

1. Yesterday used a poll to argue a point and today ignores that exact same poll, to argue another point. - if it's ok to use the poll yesterday why not today?
    2. Said "Sinn Fein are more popular than Fine Gael and since election results". They were more populate at the last election, but you cannot stated they are more popular since if your don't accept the polls.

Sinn Fein got more votes (VOTES) = They are more popular

blanch152 wrote: »
    There were posters on here telling us that FG were wrong last March to lockdown, that we should follow the Swedish strategy of herd immunity. They have mostly disappeared or changed their name as it has become clear that was a really bad option.

Similarly, the zero covid fanatics have dialled it back though some of them still surface with their demands for compulsory quarantine for all. Thankfully we have had a government steady enough to manage a path through this crisis that keeps the country as safe as possible.

You've quotes?

This is certainly made up. Fanatics now is it? You must have quotes?

It's one thing to back the mistakes of FF/FG/Greens but do you need constantly make stuff up?

Worst in the world, flouting NPHET advice, arguing with NPHET...sure.

I have thought it through.

My conclusion is, you're talking pony, and you know dam well you're talking pony.

The issue at hand was an All Ireland approach to travel restrictions, and therefore by extension the imposition of a travel ban between GB and NI.

That element is by definition, an internal UK question. The EU would not have been at the table. The Taoiseach, while potentially involved in related discussions, would have had absolutely zero authority to weigh in on a domestic UK issue.

That is the point. Time for my bag of oats.

Sinn Fein got more votes (VOTES) = They are more popular

They won more 1st preference votes at the last election than any other party. That's not the same as saying that since the last they have been more popular than FG.

They won more 1st preference votes at the last election than any other party. That's not the same as saying that since the last they have been more popular than FG.

They are the most popular party jointly with FF. They both won the same amount of seats

And it's shinners have popularity issues?

I still don't see the connection between criticism of what FF/FG/Green do or don't do and SF in a poll.

• Advertisement

And it's shinners have popularity issues?

I still don't see the connection between criticism of what FF/FG/Green do or don't do and SF in a poll.

They are jealous of Sinn Feins support and scared ****less the FFG power swap over and back is over

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement