Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VI - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

https://youtu.be/K_pFoaUiZoE

Ivors latest fable.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭haskellgeek

Scotlands rules are only for 16 days and come in on Friday not a day later any licenced premises so I'd assume restraunts are in this, its 16 days as Scotland can't afford longer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,334 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penfailed wrote: »
    Scotland closing all pubs and restaurants along the central region for the next sixteen days. The rest open outdoors only. Tell me again that we're an outlier in this...

Where did you see that confirmed?

The restaurants are shut all day I assume?

What does central region mean?

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53640249

There you go.

Complain about being contemptuous by being contemptuous and inaccurate. I've repeatedly said that I'm not a lockdown merchant. I don't want any restrictions but I understand the need for them.

Penfailed I dont think you realise the content of the link you posted?

Essentially most of Europe has "restricted" to the level Ireland was at all Summer.

"Bars and restaurants must shut by 10" Seems to be rather common in densely populated cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

https://www.bbc.com/news/explainers-53640249

There you go.

Complain about being contemptuous by being contemptuous and inaccurate. I've repeatedly said that I'm not a lockdown merchant. I don't want any restrictions but I understand the need for them.

There you go what?? I asked you to provide evidence of your claim that there are other countries with, to quote what you said, "harsher restrictions." I didn't ask for a breakdown of restrictions in European countries which is what you linked. But even with a quick read through I didn't find one with harsher restrictions. Unless you're referring to stronger enforcement and if that's what you mean please clarify!
    Scotland closing all pubs and restaurants along the central region for the next sixteen days. The rest open outdoors only. Tell me again that we're an outlier in this...

You cite Scotland, a tiny country very similar to our own with unsurprisingly similar restrictions, not harsher by the way, around the same. And does that somehow rebut the argument that we are an outlier and unlike Scotland have been an outlier all along??

Your prerogative to agree with Ireland's draconian restrictions. A bit petty not to admit to the glaringly obvious fact that our restrictions are among the most severe, if not the most severe in Europe.

• Advertisement

acequion wrote: »

You cite Scotland, a tiny country very similar to our own with unsurprisingly similar restrictions, not harsher by the way, around the same. And does that somehow rebut the argument that we are an outlier and unlike Scotland have been an outlier all along??

Your prerogative to agree with Ireland's draconian restrictions. A bit petty not to admit to the glaringly obvious fact that our restrictions are among the most severe, if not the most severe in Europe.

Scotlands restrictions are localised to the cities and will have resturants open during the day, and its only for 16 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Ireland is an outlier, and has been since June 3rd I believe when Italy opened its bars and restaurants.

Ireland is also an outlier in its paucity of healthcare resources and facilities. The numbers are crunched, here and abroad. We don't have the hospital capacity to deal with the rapidly rising numbers, this is why we have restrictions, this is whether you, me or anyone else likes it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You need to read the lockdown rules, at level 4 even hairdressers have to close never mind level 5 at which woodies would have to close and there is a 5km rule as part of level 5 also.

So if Leo and MM decide we are going to level 5 then these things will happen and I think if they do this circuit breaker level 5 they will close schools also.

As for your "unique" 5km rule, many EU countries had far stricter restrictions on travel so I dont know why you think our 5km rule was out of the ordinary.
    I think the sale of alcohol in off licenses and supermarkets should be banned in level 3 and higher. Let's see how you like that.

So therefore it looks as if our restrictions are indeed the harshest in Europe. And we're expected to just suck that up!! We're hard working, well educated but heavily taxed and with a heavily indebted state and like other democracies we vote for Governments who we task with fixing the wrongs of our infrastructure. But repeated Governments are too useless, inefficient and bureaucratic to fix for example our lamentable health service, one of the worst, if not the worst in Europe. So now we the citizens have to pay a heavy price with these horrendous restrictions for fear we might topple the increasingly fragile deck of cards that is our health service.

I'm certainly not ok with that.:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

If they bring in this reduced opening hours for off licenses and reducing hours of alcohol sale what’s the likelihood they will stay in place when all this is over?

• Advertisement

Ireland is also an outlier in its paucity of healthcare resources and facilities. The numbers are crunched, here and abroad. We don't have the hospital capacity to deal with the rapidly rising numbers, this is why we have restrictions, this is whether you, me or anyone else likes it or not.

Ireland is an outlier in that it has Europes youngest population, a natural defense against Covid.

That has not been accounted for in any way shape or form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

So we may have to get drink at a certain time instead of when we want. I don't see how in the name of God that will stop anyone having parties.

Forkhill/Jonesbourgh and other cross border areas must be willing the Govt to bring this in

fin12 wrote: »
    If they bring in this reduced opening hours for off licenses and reducing hours of alcohol sale what’s the likelihood they will stay in place when all this is over?

There is a risk that every restriction will stay in place.

There is no "out" of what we have been reasoned into.

The hospitals are overcrowded every Winter and Covid has now added a small amount to that. The hospitals will be crowded this Winter, as they will next Winter, as they were last Winter.

There is no quantifiable data in Ireland for lifting restrictions it seems?

What are we working towards, whats the goal?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

living with covid me whole

there just waiting to bring the country to Level 4/5 and now with Leo back been pals with NPHET

Other Euro countries which much bigger numbers are getting on with it and not locking down at first thought

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There is a risk that every restriction will stay in place.There is no "out" of what we have been reasoned into.
    The hospitals are overcrowded every Winter and Covid has now added a small amount to that. The hospitals will be crowded this Winter, as they will next Winter, as they were last Winter.
    There is no quantifiable data in Ireland for lifting restrictions it seems?
    What are we working towards, whats the goal?

My Theory? The CMO/HSE/FFFG are doubling down on the Lockdowns, deaths are low but the PCR positives are up, lockdown coming into the winter which turns out again to be pretty normal in terms of deaths etc. then they can say "The Lockdown Worked" even though in real terms it made no difference at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭uli84

PTH2009 wrote: »
    living with covid me whole

there just waiting to bring the country to Level 4/5 and now with Leo back been pals with NPHET

Other Euro countries which much bigger numbers are getting on with it and not locking down at first thought

Yeah n it will be ever worse than in April as they’ll add extra fines as a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭facehugger99

For anyone playing Covid bingo, Dr Tony is apparently "deeply concerned".

I really wish he'd just fcuk off again.

Why has this situation of NPHET speaking to the Irish public been allowed to develop and continue? They should be briefing Government in private and the relevant minsters briefing the public.

The language being used is deliberately hysterical.

I think the sale of alcohol in off licenses and supermarkets should be banned in level 3 and higher. Let's see how you like that.

Meh I’d have to do without beer but I’ve enough of a stock of wine and spirits to see out a very long period so I’ll survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭hamburgham

acequion wrote: »
    So therefore it looks as if our restrictions are indeed the harshest in Europe. And we're expected to just suck that up!! We're hard working, well educated but heavily taxed and with a heavily indebted state and like other democracies we vote for Governments who we task with fixing the wrongs of our infrastructure. But repeated Governments are too useless, inefficient and bureaucratic to fix for example our lamentable health service, one of the worst, if not the worst in Europe. So now we the citizens have to pay a heavy price with these horrendous restrictions for fear we might topple the increasingly fragile deck of cards that is our health service.

I'm certainly not ok with that.:mad::mad:

Leprechaun science trying to protect a leprechaun health service.

One thing I hate to read is how our health service is called one of the worst in Europe. We actually have one of the best health services in Europe if not the world it’s capacity that’s the issue I just think that needs to be pointed out as it does sound like people claim the service is terrible when it’s far from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,741 ✭✭✭hynesie08

One thing I hate to read is how our health service is called one of the worst in Europe. We actually have one of the best health services in Europe if not the world it’s capacity that’s the issue I just think that needs to be pointed out as it does sound like people claim the service is terrible when it’s far from it.

Our system collapses as soon as we have a cold snap, every year we're hearing of 80 year olds being left on trolleys or chairs for days on end..... We have fantastic healthcare workers, but the service is a bloated money hole.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Can anyone answer this for me ?

How is it constitutionally possible a government is considering a €200 FINE for moving from one county to another county in your own country ?
    Is there a caveat in our constitution that allows for this possible implementation by the government of the day ?

Or has this been ripped up now that we are in a casedemic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Came across a checkpoint on the way to work this morning and again at the same spot on the way home. These muppets are making honest, hard working people's lives a misery now with all this traffic build up. Do they think lads are on their way to a fcuking house party at 7:30am on a wet miserable Wednedsay morning?

I had very little respect for the Gardai before and have zero now. Standing on the road annoying the very people who pay their astronomical wages and now easy over-time.

What the fcuk has happened to this country? It's akin to a communist state at this stage.

Baffled by it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

dalyboy wrote: »

How is it constitutionally possible a government is considering a €200 FINE for moving from one county to another county in your own country ?
    Is there a caveat in our constitution that allows for this possible implementation by the government of the day ?

This wasn't an issue and then after the cry babies let rip, it suddenly became an issue.

Of course nobody wants to deal with the realities of how stupid the lines are that the Brits drew centuries ago and how they effect people on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭appledrop

Fuming after an hour long delay this morning on my commute to work.

They were still there on way home but could see it on sat nav so could avoid it although had to go longer way home.

Why in gods name would you decide to do checkpoints at peak hours.

Where else do they think people were going apart from work?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

appledrop wrote: »

They were still there on way home but could see it on sat nav so could avoid it although had to go longer way home.

All just for show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Hand in Your Pants

Guardian showing gazillions of people crowded together on Greek streets celebrating Golden Dawn trial with no mention of danger of viral transmission. But when a tiny fraction of that number gather to protest government covid restrictions in London there is no shutting them up about it.

We actually have one of the best health services in Europe if not the world .

:D:D:D:D:D You must be having one helluva session there! Popping a few pills as well are we!

Or else very blatant trolling. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

dalyboy wrote: »

There was no issue in having fines for leaving your 2km/5km zones during the lockdown so doubt there is an issue making the rule for counties.

It’s only a matter of time before level 5 and 5km limits anyway so the county thing will be short lived.

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    Came across a checkpoint on the way to work this morning and again at the same spot on the way home. These muppets are making honest, hard working people's lives a misery now with all this traffic build up. Do they think lads are on their way to a fcuking house party at 7:30am on a wet miserable Wednedsay morning?

I had very little respect for the Gardai before and have zero now. Standing on the road annoying the very people who pay their astronomical wages and now easy over-time.

What the fcuk has happened to this country? It's akin to a communist state at this stage.

Baffled by it all.

Can you work from home?
    appledrop wrote: »

It will be strong encouragement for anyone who can WFH to do so. Traffic was non existent in the lock down so there is obviously a lot who were WFH then going in at the moment.

Not saying you can btw but is certainly some of the reasoning imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement