Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

So, you are paying ground rent then and getting an ev will make no difference to that. Have a think about yourself and what you're doing when you disingeniously tried to add it to the cost of ev ewnership.

Go on to one of those online price comparison websites and they will change your electricity provider for you, get you on the cheapest tarrif for you and reset your online billing woes all in one step. All you need is your mprn. Just be careful that there is no break fee in your current contract.

That poster didn’t even know about the 9c night rate tarrif from ESB (some other providers are actually cheaper) and implied I was lying when I posted how much it cost to fully charge my 85 kWh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

ELM327 wrote: »
    I bought a Tesla last year and post covid I'll be wfh doing less than 12k per year vs 50k+ before
    The EV no longer makes sense and my next car (probably next year) will not be electric.

This is a very important point.

Post Covid, driving habits will change, and if the only savings are down to fuelling costs,m EVs just became a lot less attractive at their current prices!

Pkiernan wrote: »

Post Covid, driving habits will change, and if the only savings are down to fuelling costs,m EVs just became a lot less attractive at their current prices!

You're correct but if someone is changing the car then EV could be more than suitable if it's in the same price range.

I'm still buying a Cybertruck (not for the planet though, for the 0-60).

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

I'm sure a Model X Performance could keep you entertained until the truck is available ; )

On price though more and more less expensive EVs are available now than ever. ID.3, Mini, Zoe, 208 and Corsa-e are competitive against similarly specced ICE cars.

• Advertisement

I'm sure a Model X Performance could keep you entertained until the truck is available ; )

On price though more and more less expensive EVs are available now than ever. ID.3, Mini, Zoe, 208 and Corsa-e are competitive against similarly specced ICE cars.

Can't throw dead deer in to the back of a Model X though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

You're correct but if someone is changing the car then EV could be more than suitable if it's in the same price range.

true, one of the biggest buying factors for me for the S and the 3 was our depot has a 24kw charger and i was the only EV using it...

now i might be only back there once a week next year!

dont care though, the car was my present for myself after a bad motorbike crash.

Can't throw dead deer in to the back of a Model X though

Ha! A bit of plastic boot liner (butcher in the field) or a small trailer and you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,639 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'm a current Tesla owner , my third EV, and my next car more than likely wont be EV.

For the 70-80k that I'd spend on an EV, to do only a few miles (sub 12k) a year, I could buy one of my dream cars pre owned, like an M5, Dodge Ram or Bentley Continental etc and be still spending less than I would on an EV, including the fuel costs.

At this point I'm just waiting to see what happens with Brexit. I'm expecting prices of used S to go up here as the supply from UK *may* have a 10% premium and/or 23% VAT added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Sorry I’m missing something here!?!? Why would an EV be less attractive now that you are doing less mileage? I would have thought it would be more attractive...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭3d4life

Not just for the 0-60...I've seen it suggested that its designed to right itself in the event of a flip over.

:D

Cona wrote: »
    Sorry I’m missing something here!?!? Why would an EV be less attractive now that you are doing less mileage? I would have thought it would be more attractive...

Lots of folk went EV as they were saving €200/€300 a month on fuel.
    With reduced mileage you can now make the fuel savings without buying the EV.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The up front cost of an EV is higher, and the per km cost is lower. A rough rule of thumb is 1c/km for EV versus 6c/km for diesel and 8c/km for petrol.
    If you do 10,000km a year then you only save €500 on fuel costs. So if the EV is €5k more than an comparable ICE it's going to take 10 years before the extra up front cost is worth it. If you are doing 50,000km a year, then you'll start saving money after 2 years.

So long as you buy an EV that can cover your daily mileage in winter, EVs are extremely well suited to a high mileage driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭3d4life

Augeo wrote: »
    Lots of folk went EV as they were saving €200/€300 a month on fuel.
    With reduced mileage you can now make the fuel savings without buying the EV.

Exactly !

WFH must be a huge opportunity for the likes of Go-Car

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

EVs generally cost a lot more than ICE cars with similar performance. Their cost benefit only comes from lower running costs, so if you do low mileage, it will take far longer for the lower running costs to add up to the large difference in purchase price, and it's quite conceivable that difference might never be made back.

Higher outlay cost for monthly fuel savings.
    I used to do 4-6k km a month. Now I'm doing 1k max. Not making the savings, therefore not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

cnocbui wrote: »
    EVs generally cost a lot more than ICE cars with similar performance. Their cost benefit only comes from lower running costs, so if you do low mileage, it will take far longer for the lower running costs to add up to the large difference in purchase price, and it's quite conceivable that difference might never be made back.

Not sure if I agree with that comment, perhaps a number of years ago.
    Cars such as the ID.3 are similarly priced to a Golf diesel auto but 204HP versus about 120HP.

eagerv wrote: »
    Cars such as the ID.3 are similarly priced to a Golf diesel auto but 204HP versus about 120HP.

And there's not much if anything out there to match a model 3 for the 50k price in it's segment.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Don't forget the Mini, first car where an EV version Cooper SE is cheaper than it's petrol equivalent Cooper S.

liamog wrote: »
    Don't forget the Mini, first car where an EV version Cooper SE is cheaper than it's petrol equivalent Cooper S.

Tesla / IPace / Etron / Taycan etc owners are not going to be looking at buying a new golf diesel.

You're more talking premium 5/7 series, premium E or S class merc etc

And there's not much if anything out there to match a model 3 for the 50k price in it's segment.
    Agree in the EV world, but you'd get a new BMW 330i for 50k

• Advertisement

But on the economics.......... I've done 15k kms since June for €1200 in diesel........ it's not overly expensive........ quite a few 250/300km spins in the evenings to be somewhere for the following day ......

I think a Niro EV might just work for me but I don't really want to move from a Sorento to a Niro.

Agree in the EV world, but you'd get a new BMW 330i for 50k

Wouldn't the Tesla be faster? I'm not at all sure tbh, I've no clue really. Are 330i that cheap new?

Wouldn't the Tesla be faster? I'm not at all sure tbh, I've no clue really. Are 330i that cheap new?
    Tesla would be slightly faster to 60 (5s vs 5.3 for the 330i) but the bimmer would likely be faster to drive. It's a 4 pot turbo, so not the nicest note, but the turbocharging will add some kickdown vs the traditional NA 6 that would be in a 330

Of course the 50k is for the base SE spec 330i, but for the price of a model 3sr+ adding color and wheels (and FSD) you'd have an M sport AWD 330i and change.

And I know which I'd rather have, (not the tesla)

But on the economics.......... I've done 15k kms since June for €1200 in diesel........ it's not overly expensive........ quite a few 250/300km spins in the evenings to be somewhere for the following day ......

I think a Niro EV might just work for me but I don't really want to move from a Sorento to a Niro.

It would be a step and a bit down from a sorento size SUV to a small CUV like the Niro. (Yes i've been in both).

And I know which I'd rather have, (not the tesla)

Indeed, for anyone doing normal to low mileage the 330i stacks up very favourably ...... I didn't think they were that reasonably priced for want of a better word.
    It would be a step and a bit down from a sorento size SUV to a small CUV like the Niro. (Yes i've been in both).

I always maintained an EV wouldn't do the trick for me, being fair the Niro probably just manage but I carry lots of stuff often so the extra space in the Sorento is definitely convenient if not absolutely necessary.

I'd rate the Niro highly enough in comparison to the ludicrously priced Kona but I still don't actually want a Niro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I like to go for a walk to the shop. The traffic fumes, really affect me. Since I can afford one I bought an electric car, one less car adding to the fumes on the street. When they come up with something about the tyres I'll adopt that too.

Traffic fumes are reason enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I like to go for a walk to the shop. The traffic fumes, really affect me. Since I can afford one I bought an electric car, one less car adding to the fumes on the street. When they come up with something about the tyres I'll adopt that too.

Traffic fumes are reason enough for me.

You do realise you can thank the Green Party for the fumes?

I always maintained an EV wouldn't do the trick for me, being fair the Niro probably just manage but I carry lots of stuff often so the extra space in the Sorento is definitely convenient if not absolutely necessary.

I'd rate the Niro highly enough in comparison to the ludicrously priced Kona but I still don't actually want a Niro.

Enyaq or ID.4 are more Sorento size than a Niro. Niro is a great car but it is car size really. I've squeezed it into some very tight spaces and couldn't believe it.

Not sure about the cost for similar spec to your Sorento though. Price parity seems to be at smaller lighter cars this year. Mrs Lasty wants a Kia Telluride but at 5m long it's maybe too big to compare to Enyaq.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭creedp

Doesn't really matter as there is a very limited supply of EVs out there so even if everyone wanted one the demand for ICEs will be strong for some time yet

• Advertisement

cnocbui wrote: »
    You do realise you can thank the Green Party for the fumes?

Nope, you can thank a conspiracy of automotive companies that convinced regulators all across Europe that clean diesel was a thing. You can then thank the Fine Gael government who did nothing to reverse the changes when the problems were exposed in 2015.

Advertisement