Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

schmoo2k wrote: »
    What is the cheapest EV you can get today (new)?

The cheapest new EVs available in Ireland are the Zoe, Corsa-E, e208 and Mini Cooper SE. They're all start at or around the 27k mark.
    There is a Dacia EV coming out next year which should be cheaper. Hopefully someone picks up an MG dealership, they have some quite good models too.

The argument on price largely comes down to comparing like for like. Manufacturers aren't yet producing true entry level cars, they don't need to because they can currently sell enough of the higher spec models where they can make a better margin.

Even a Golf R Line 150 Hp TDI DSG with matrix lights being the only option I selected is 39K

Kinda makes the id.3 seem decent enough value and 50 Hp more.

The interior of the Golf is a lot nicer though but adding decent options and leather makes it a laughable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

liamog wrote: »
    I don't think anyone is arguing that the infrastructure is there for a cross country global trip, but when it comes to crossing the midlands of Ireland EVs on the market are almost certainly grand.

The electric bikes are amazing, especially if you're talking about city driving, or a 40ish mile trip to the city in a nice hot environment, not so much in Ireland where riding a bike is tough with bad weather. Replacing all the 2 strokes in places like Asia would make a huge difference to local pollution levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Amazed at anyone buying a brand new car now

Where are ye driving?

Not afraid of losing jobs?

Seems such a luxury item right now

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,843 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Even a Golf R Line 150 Hp TDI DSG with matrix lights being the only option I selected is 39K

Kinda makes the id.3 seem decent enough value and 50 Hp more.

The interior of the Golf is a lot nicer though but adding decent options and leather makes it a laughable price.

That's pretty much been the point all along, car's with more power and features cost more money. I find the interior quality of the ID.3 a little bit underwhelming compared to the Golf, but it looks like they upped things a bit for the ID.4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The cheapest new EVs available in Ireland are the Zoe, Corsa-E, e208 and Mini Cooper SE. They're all start at or around the 27k mark.
    There is a Dacia EV coming out next year which should be cheaper. Hopefully someone picks up an MG dealership, they have some quite good models too.

The argument on price largely comes down to comparing like for like. Manufacturers aren't yet producing true entry level cars, they don't need to because they can currently sell enough of the higher spec models where they can make a better margin.

I am pro EV and just went through the process of upgraded two cars (2007 + 2016) to 202 models, I would have loved to get at least one, but could not get the math to work out, which is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You cannot travel the world with an EV. Diesel or petrol are the only options, and it will remain that way for a long time.

I don't want to travel the world in my car. I can get to Dingle with a single 30 min stop and to Malin Head with a single 15 min stop. So I'm satisfied with my EV.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Gumbo wrote: »
    Do them Prices include VAT when buying new?

Yes. RRP means inclusive of VAT, usually.

That's pretty much been the point all along, car's with more power and features cost more money. I find the interior quality of the ID.3 a little bit underwhelming compared to the Golf, but it looks like they upped things a bit for the ID.4.

47K for a 200 Hp TDI DSG Golf, that sure does makes the Tesla model 3 seem great value, especially with 300 or more HP and Auto Pilot.

garo wrote: »
    I don't want to travel the world in my car. I can get to Dingle with a single 30 min stop and to Malin Head with a single 15 min stop. So I'm satisfied with my EV.

Dingle (overly crowded tourist tat) and Malin Head (a featurless kip of a place) Vs the world. :pac::D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,515 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dingle (overly crowded tourist tat) and Malin Head (a featurless kip of a place) Vs the world. :pac::D

Slagging off each others choice of car is one thing but slagging off their destinations in said cars is taking things to a new level. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thierry12 wrote: »
    Amazed at anyone buying a brand new car now

Where are ye driving?

Not afraid of losing jobs?

Seems such a luxury item right now

Some of us, whether health care, or whatever, have to keep working.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,878 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

So what far flung destinations do you drive to?

I’d wager 99 percent of people don’t take their car out of the country .

Cyrus wrote: »
    So what far flung destinations do you drive to?

I’d wager 99 percent of people don’t take their car out of the country .

We are going to be living in our vehicle for many years and travel the entire time, so no point writing a list as it will be easier to say most places.

I understand thats not the typical scenario for most vehicles though.

We are going to be living in our vehicle for many years and travel the entire time, so no point writing a list as it will be easier to say most places.

I understand thats not the typical scenario for most vehicles though.

That’s the very definition of a fringe case .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Yes. RRP means inclusive of VAT, usually.

But you quoted uk prices. When you bring it over here, you’ll pay the vat as well as VRT or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,908 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Gumbo wrote: »
    But you quoted uk prices. When you bring it over here, you’ll pay the vat as well as VRT or am I missing something?

If you buy a new car from a UK dealer you can claim back the UK VAT if it has been paid or you can get a car for export which is less the VAT. If it's a slightly used car that is older than 6 months with 6,001 on the clock or greater, then there is no VAT.

eagerv wrote: »
    Some of us, whether health care, or whatever, have to keep working.

I'm in the whatever but I'm very mindful that it's just luck has me working through these strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Anyone who needs a car to tow won't be changing to electric. There's a fair few rural people in that category. There will have to be an exemption made for them.

I have a diesel (for towing) and whenever I've walked behind it when the engine is on, the fumes are truly awful. It's incomparable to petrol.

Mules wrote: »
    Anyone who needs a car to tow won't be changing to electric. There's a fair few rural people in that category. There will have to be an exemption made for them.

I have a diesel (for towing) and whenever I've walked behind it when the engine is on, the fumes are truly awful. It's incomparable to petrol.

Why not you can tow with an ev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It boils down to whether or not you are prepared to sacrifice convenience to save a bit of money. I don’t need to save money on motoring so there’s no reason for me to compromise and buy an EV.

MadYaker wrote: »
    It boils down to whether or not you are prepared to sacrifice convenience to save a bit of money. I don’t need to save money on motoring so there’s no reason for me to compromise and buy an EV.

It’s not really down to saving money though is it if you want to save money the cheapest car you can get won’t be an ev

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Mules wrote: »

Anyone telling you EVs can’t tow are probably trying to sell you a diesel.

Granted the choice right now is not great, and it definitely affects range, but if you’re serious about an EV and have to tow, you should do your homework based on what’s on the market plus what you tow and how far.

AFAIK, a towbar will be an option on the Tesla Model Y, which will be within many people’s budgets next year. Also if you’re driving big mileage, an EV offers bigger savings, which offset the purchase price. I do 35,000 km a year in an EV for about €400 fuel cost.

Anyway, check this out:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MadYaker wrote: »

This false equivalence is why I think EV makers should design EVs to look more distinctive. Otherwise people look at them and think "that's just like a combustion car with added inconvenience".

You can disregard the fuel savings and air pollution aspects and still prefer an EV based on it being a better driving and ownership experience.

My EV has approximately the same performance as an M2 Competition for about two thirds of the price, a fraction of the running costs, better throttle response, better traction, four wheel drive, more sophisticated braking, more sophisticated infotainment, more interior space, tows a trailer and works fine in the snow.

As for convenience, I charge it mostly at home overnight so spend less time messing around with "fuelling" it than my diesel.

If it needs something doing to it, typically the service technician turns up at my house and does it on the driveway. It doesn't require oil changes, has no clutch, uses so little brake pads that you have to remember to use them periodically to stop them seizing up.

And yet, all you see in EV is a car-shaped box with a load of charging hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The charging hassle is an issue for people though. You like the idea of EVs so you’re prepared to put up with it. I’m not. I like doing long European road trips (or at least I used to) and I do a lot of hiking, camping and kayaking in remote areas at weekends. I don’t always have a particular route or destination in mind and I can’t be arsed having to plan it all out because my car has to be plugged in for a few hours before it can do another 400km. It doesn’t suit my lifestyle and until ranges double, charging times are down to about 20 minutes and there’s chargers everywhere I’m not interested. Even going to visit family and having to ask them if I can plug my car in so I can drive home again would make me feel like a dope.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't like the idea of EVs, I like the reality of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I suppose this post is about new cars as opposed to second hand which is where my head is usually at.
    Out of interest what is the cheapest new EV available in ireland at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

Evs are no good to my brother as he has to cut silage with a diesel...up a hill..whilst pulling 10 ton ..all day...before the rain...etc...ad nauseum 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

lalababa wrote: »
    Evs are no good to my brother as he has to cut silage with a diesel...up a hill..whilst pulling 10 ton ..all day...before the rain...etc...ad nauseum ��

And even though he lives on a farm he has no space to put up a home charger and even though he has to drive 10 miles each way to get diesel he can’t be arsed plugging in the vehicle at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

It should be obvious that

1. The EV avalanche has not hit yet and EVs are expensive and there's not much choice.

2. There are some weird fringe cases where only a petrol or Diesel will do

3. That motor taxes and emission tax's etc etc will be ramped by the Dail\Europe soon.

That doesnt change the fact that MOST people should NOT be buying BRAND NEW ICE cars now, they will lose their b0llix

Advertisement