Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Amazed by people buying new oil burners right now

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

cruizer101 wrote: »
    True but it is still a valid comparison when the question being asked is why are people buying petrol cars over electric.
    Many people don't care about all the extra spec so for them making the comparison they don't care about the extra kit they want a new car around that size regardless of the spec.
    In that case there is a big difference in going electric that just doens't seem worth it.

You're basically asking the question why is the higher performance vehicle with more kit more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

liamog wrote: »
    You're basically asking the question why is the higher performance vehicle with more kit more expensive.

No I'm not, I personally see the value in extra spec and higher powered engine.
    But the thread title implies the question, Why is the average person still buying ICE over electrical.
    And when considering that question high spec and high performance isn't as relevant as your average irish motorist doesn't care much about it
    So lets say they decode they like the look of the kona and it is is the right size for them, then they think what is the price of the base spec ICE vs the base spec EV (it doesn't matter that the ev comes with a far better base spec) they see a large difference and decide thats not worth it, I'll go with ICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I've done the world a favour by buying a diesel car that I hardly do any miles in , I cycle to work most days and just drive it weekends ..... I'd be lucky to do 5000 km a year .

I drive over to uk twice a year on a normal year ...

I just couldn't justify the expense of a electric car , I'd never save any money either doing so .. . So I just bought a cheap 131 Hyundai i40

I'll probably burn in hell ....

If I buy a petrol, diesel + EV and do 0 Kms a year, which is worst for the environment?

Same question if I do 5K, 10K and 50K?

Also is a new spec Diesel better or worse for the environment than a petrol?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

cruizer101 wrote: »
    No I'm not, I personally see the value in extra spec and higher powered engine.
    But the thread title implies the question, Why is the average person still buying ICE over electrical.
    And when considering that question high spec and high performance isn't as relevant as your average irish motorist doesn't care much about it
    So lets say they decode they like the look of the kona and it is is the right size for them, then they think what is the price of the base spec ICE vs the base spec EV (it doesn't matter that the ev comes with a far better base spec) they see a large difference and decide thats not worth it, I'll go with ICE.

Hyundai Ireland choose to sell a high spec EV Kona because they are know they can sell as many as they can order from Hyundai Korea. As with any business there's no point selling a low margin item when you can sell a higher margin item from the same production line.
    They could of brought in the smaller battery Kona 39 and given it a more barebones spec, that way the tco over the first three years would of been the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement