Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options
  • 02-09-2020 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭

The poor man was only 28 and had a fiance. Killed by 4 scumbags in a Ford Fiesta who then did a runner, in the IFSC area. He was hit on Monday but died today. How could you crash into a man and leave him dying there? I've spent enough time in that area to have seen children flying around on scramblers, foreign security guards attacked and having racist slurs shouted at them, f*cking horses racing up and down. In the city centre. It's ridiculous.
    This case has really struck a chord with me because I cycle to work myself, and the fact that the guy is earning minimum wage working for Deliveroo, part of the gig economy, just trying to earn a few quid.
    Law and order seems to be non existent in the city centre, I mean if we can't keep that under control what the f*ck do the Garda actually do?
    Why are we ok with the city centre being such a hotbed of antisocial behaviour? I've lived in many cities before and I know other countries have problems, but you don't see the stuff you see in the city centre here in other city centres.
    RIP to the poor man, and remember how rough these delivery guys have it in Dublin, they are often assaulted by scumbags and put up with all kinds of sh*t.

Mod

This thread has nothing to do with immigration. If you post about immigration in this thread, you will find yourself banned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0902/1162759-cyclist-dies-following-hit-and-run-incident-in-dublin/
    Gardaí are searching for four people who they believe were in a car that knocked down and killed a cyclist in Dublin on Monday night.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

Agree with OP, this story has struck a chord. Reminds me of the poor Albanian man ran over by a scrambler while lying down in a park, IIRC he was suffered very serious brain injuries.

I don't know how ordinary decent people can live in these areas with the reports of constant anti social behaviour.

The irony is the poor man has come to Ireland to try and improve his life, while the perpetrators are happy to let the government hand them everything from cradle to grave!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Agree with OP, this story has struck a chord. Reminds me of the poor Albanian man ran over by a scrambler while lying down in a park, IIRC he was suffered very serious brain injuries.

I don't know how ordinary decent people can live in these areas with the reports of constant anti social behaviour.

The irony is the poor man has come to Ireland to try and improve his life, while the perpetrators are happy to let the government hand them everything from cradle to grave!

Yeah I think he was Moldovan but that was horrible too, no one got done for it. I did give to his gofundme I hope they set one up for this guy's fiance and family for repatriation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The poor man was only 28 and had a fiance. Killed by 4 scumbags in a Ford Fiesta who then did a runner, in the IFSC area. He was hit on Monday but died today. How could you crash into a man and leave him dying there? I've spent enough time in that area to have seen children flying around on scramblers, foreign security guards attacked and having racist slurs shouted at them, f*cking horses racing up and down. In the city centre. It's ridiculous.
    This case has really struck a chord with me because I cycle to work myself, and the fact that the guy is earning minimum wage working for Deliveroo, part of the gig economy, just trying to earn a few quid.
    Law and order seems to be non existent in the city centre, I mean if we can't keep that under control what the f*ck do the Garda actually do?
    Why are we ok with the city centre being such a hotbed of antisocial behaviour? I've lived in many cities before and I know other countries have problems, but you don't see the stuff you see in the city centre here in other city centres.
    RIP to the poor man, and remember how rough these delivery guys have it in Dublin, they are often assaulted by scumbags and put up with all kinds of sh*t.

I was at a mayday outdoor festival in frankfurt in 2010. music, hotdogs, massive beers candy floss. the works.

when the music stopped there was rows of squad cars and police vans with the cops there leaning on the vehicles tooled up with cable ties and batons, guns on hips.

There wasn't a glass broke, a wheelie bin upturned or ole olers pissing against the wall or dancing on phone boxes. Everyone just shuffled on home civilly.

It always stuck with me. We don't fear the cops in Ireland at all. And violence would solve it.

These young lads you see mouthing off at cops in these viral videos would have been sorted out in the 80's with a good hiding. Give them an inch....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Law and order seems to be non existent in the city centre.

It's not exclusive to the inner city. The Garda operate an à la carte approach to criminality, mainly enforcing the law on easy targets forsaking the more difficult, time consuming or arduous enforcements. If you call them and say 81 year old Michael from Walkinstown is on the bus without a mask they'll be waiting at the next stop, tell them there's a group of 15 lads aiming fireworks at 81 year old Micks house and it'll be 24 hours before you see a squad car.

• Advertisement

what makes me laugh is you will see in other threads that people want millennials like me to pay good money to move into these areas and if i don't want to i have "notions".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

TRANQUILLO wrote: »
    what makes me laugh is you will see in other threads that people want millennials like me to pay good money to move into these areas and if i don't want to i have "notions".

In fairness most of us can't afford to live in the IFSC anyway, you're looking at 1000 euros a month for a decent room there.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,324 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It always stuck with me. We don't fear the cops in Ireland at all. And violence would solve it.

I suspect that would hit recruitment hard and we may then find ourselves policed by people who care little about hurting others, including anyone caught up in any crossfire

RIP to Thiago Cortes - hopefully there will be some forensic evidence in the car that will lead the Gardai to the culprits

Beasty wrote: »
    I suspect that would hit recruitment hard and we may then find ourselves policed by people who care little about hurting others, including anyone caught up in any crossfire

RIP to Tiago Cortes - hopefully there will be some forensic evidence in the car that will lead the Gardai to the culprits

And only a stones throw from where Donna Fox was killed on a bicycle also. The more things change...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Law and order seems to be non existent in the city centre,

It feels like its non existent throughout the Country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RIP to him.

On a side not the media or Gardai handling of this has been piss poor, no proper description of the car given by any media outlet despite the fact the car was found and recovered on the night it occured. A 2005 Ford Focus is the best we get, no colour, no registration, no outstanding features, really, really poor when a person is dead and 4 people are at large. It might click in someones memory of the night in question or be captured on dashcam, Ford Focus was a very popular car back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

God rest him, hope they catch the scrotes so the driver can do 3 years with the final 18 months suspended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sickening. This country has a dark future unless we get a real police force and there are real consequences for scumbaggery. The Gards are useless.

Thiago's death made news in Brazil I see: https://g1.globo.com/mundo/noticia/2020/09/02/brasileiro-e-morto-apos-atropelamento-em-dublin.ghtml

RIP to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

RIP to him.

On a side not the media or Gardai handling of this has been piss poor, no proper description of the car given by any media outlet despite the fact the car was found and recovered on the night it occured. A 2005 Ford Focus is the best we get, no colour, no registration, no outstanding features, really, really poor when a person is dead and 4 people are at large. It might click in someones memory of the night in question or be captured on dashcam, Ford Focus was a very popular car back in the day.

They probably know who was in it. They just need to collect evidence. I heard on the radio they were asking for people with dash-cam footage who were in that area around that time.
    I'm not sure what broadcasting the numberplate to people all over the country would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

RIP to him.

There are pictures released. It's a Silver MK2 Ford Focus hatchback. 05. Looking at the picture, if you seen the car after the event you'd remember it.

There's a high chance these pricks will be captured on CCTV somewhere around Dublin 1 and identified hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

No doubt all 4 of the scumbags in that car have multiple convictions already. As much as i agree regarding the Garda avoiding the hard work, the main issue is that when these animals are caught the courts do nothing about them and they are free to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I'd love to see all the wee anti-social leprechauns and drug gang twats in Dublin who think they're hard dropped into a Brazilian favela, wonder how long they'd last...

Yeah I think he was Moldovan but that was horrible too, no one got done for it. I did give to his gofundme I hope they set one up for this guy's fiance and family for repatriation etc.

This is the punishment the driver of the scrambler received.
    A Garda spokesman said: "A file was forwarded to the DPP for direction. This matter is to be dealt with by way of the Juvenile Diversion Programme (JDP)."

The man lost his left eye and sustained multiple fractures to his forehead, nasal bones and jaw in the incident. He also suffered a severe brain injury and haemorrhage.

RIP Mr Cortes

CucaFace wrote: »
    No doubt all 4 of the scumbags in that car have multiple convictions already.
    Ya never know, one of them might be too young.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭quartz1

Is there a gofundme for the man and his family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

When Paul Murphy is elected by the people of Jobstown whilst shouting he was elected to break the law as people surround a TD's car throwing bricks and eggs at it, you know we live in a country full of scumbags.

Protect yourself and your family as noone else will.

You're on your own in this country....

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

CucaFace wrote: »
    No doubt all 4 of the scumbags in that car have multiple convictions already. As much as i agree regarding the Garda avoiding the hard work, the main issue is that when these animals are caught the courts do nothing about them and they are free to go.

This poor man’s death while just minding his own business doing his job is the natural conclusion to continually letting scrotes rack up 100’s of convictions while remaining on the streets. When they get caught, some bleeding heart social worker will be in to the judge like a bullet to tell him/her how this young man has been let down by society etc. No personal responsibility.

There is no fear of the justice system in this country anymore and innocents will continue to die because of it.

dd973 wrote: »
    I'd love to see all the wee anti-social leprechauns and drug gang twats in Dublin who think they're hard dropped into a Brazilian favela, wonder how long they'd last...
    And how I'd love a real police force like in Brazil too. Even the traffic cops are packing heat. The lads collecting cash in armoured vans are packing too.

We are a bunch of pussies when it comes to enforcing the law, and we are fast approaching a time where we need to decide if we ramp it up or continue to let the gangs and various scum continue to do as they please...then where do we end up?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Oh please don't call yourself a millennial. It's sad.

Poor man, I hope his killers are found. Brazilians often have it tough in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Wow this has really hit a chord with me also but if you call out scum in this country your extremist

bigpink wrote: »
    Wow this has really hit a chord with me also but if you call out scum in this country your extremist
    Maybe they don't have enough facilities in their area (where they most likely have free accomodation and stupidly generous dole money) or they're from a broken home and so on, et cetera.

Does your heart not bleed for these wasters?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As I see it there are a number of problems at play.
    The behaviour by the bástards in the Ford is not uncommon. Cyclists are passed regularly by drivers who couldn't give a flying fart about their safety so long as the driver doesn't get held up.
    It's not just teenage scumbags from the inner city. It's all age groups, male and female, all vehicle types. It then takes a fatality for people to say to themselves "oh that's terrible" but continue with that behaviour the next time they sit behind the wheel of a car.
    As someone who cycles a lot, I have been aggressively passed so many times. I've been almost killed because someone felt they had more right to the road than I should have (despite the law being clear on this).
    I've had drivers close pass me with an pnligitary blaring if the horn while I'm cycling along in a 24/7 bus lane (which I, unlike them, am allowed to be in).
    The lockdown made the roads a nice place to cycle. Now that people are getting back to normal, the aggression from drivers is probably worse that before.
    Cycle infrastructure in Ireland is shíte to the point that in many cases increases the level of danger.
    Cycle paths are usually so crap that cyclists feel it is better to remain on the road. Quite frequently there are cars parked on them. Even the new measures put in place by the councils are being parked on.
    Ask yourself, would you let your child cycle to school and if not, why?

As for the gardai, I have reported several drivers for obvious dangerous manoeuvres this year.
    I'm at the point now that it's not worth my time. Despite clear video evidence, I am forced to spend 30-60 minutes dictating a statement about how scared I felt and how I wore a helmet and high-viz (as if not wearing these non-obligatory items means a driver can drive dangerously) only for nothing to happen (despite a commitment for action by Commissioner Harris).
    The law is actually crystal clear but the process is from the 1920s. Video evidence is not grounds for a conviction - it is only a means to support a full statement. The gardai then decide if they want to take it further or not. Honestly, its farcical.
    Unfortunately, I dont see anything changing as a result of Thiago Cortes unnecessary death. Nothing happened after the unnecessary death of Neeraj Jain last year. The only incentive to improve safety on the roads seems to be based on garda enforcement and IMO this doesnt exist in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Why would you continue to cycle in Dublin when that is your experience? It’s not worth it.

RIP to the deceased. I hope his killers meet justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,952 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Why would you continue to cycle in Dublin when that is your experience? It’s not worth it.

RIP to the deceased. I hope his killers meet justice.

The benefits for cycling are self-evident, its just in Ireland people seem to be very selfish about it and their cars.
    Just have a read of the thread about the new proposed 30/kmh limit.

So, the same poster will have sympathy for the Thiago Cortes, but then will give out about the government or the council building cycling infrastructure or decreasing speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

RIP to the poor man.

Horrible thing to do, to mow someone down and then leave them to die, alone at the side of the road.
    Hope the driver is found and prosecuted.
    Although I don't have much faith in the legal system to provide justice.
    I can already hear the excuses...difficult upbringing...in treatment for a drug/alcohol problem...from a disadvantaged area.
    Suspended sentence and then grinning like an assh*le on the steps of the court.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement