Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

When Paul Murphy is elected by the people of Jobstown whilst shouting he was elected to break the law as people surround a TD's car throwing bricks and eggs at it, you know we live in a country full of scumbags.

Protect yourself and your family as noone else will.

You're on your own in this country....

I dread any mischance that would cause me to fall into the clutches of the 'legal system'. I have zero confidence in any branch of it -guards , solicitors or judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

As I see it there are a number of problems at play.
    The behaviour by the bástards in the Ford is not uncommon. Cyclists are passed regularly by drivers who couldn't give a flying fart about their safety so long as the driver doesn't get held up.
    It's not just teenage scumbags from the inner city. It's all age groups, male and female, all vehicle types. It then takes a fatality for people to say to themselves "oh that's terrible" but continue with that behaviour the next time they sit behind the wheel of a car.
    As someone who cycles a lot, I have been aggressively passed so many times. I've been almost killed because someone felt they had more right to the road than I should have (despite the law being clear on this).
    I've had drivers close pass me with an pnligitary blaring if the horn while I'm cycling along in a 24/7 bus lane (which I, unlike them, am allowed to be in).
    The lockdown made the roads a nice place to cycle. Now that people are getting back to normal, the aggression from drivers is probably worse that before.
    Cycle infrastructure in Ireland is shíte to the point that in many cases increases the level of danger.
    Cycle paths are usually so crap that cyclists feel it is better to remain on the road. Quite frequently there are cars parked on them. Even the new measures put in place by the councils are being parked on.
    Ask yourself, would you let your child cycle to school and if not, why?

As for the gardai, I have reported several drivers for obvious dangerous manoeuvres this year.
    I'm at the point now that it's not worth my time. Despite clear video evidence, I am forced to spend 30-60 minutes dictating a statement about how scared I felt and how I wore a helmet and high-viz (as if not wearing these non-obligatory items means a driver can drive dangerously) only for nothing to happen (despite a commitment for action by Commissioner Harris).
    The law is actually crystal clear but the process is from the 1920s. Video evidence is not grounds for a conviction - it is only a means to support a full statement. The gardai then decide if they want to take it further or not. Honestly, its farcical.
    Unfortunately, I dont see anything changing as a result of Thiago Cortes unnecessary death. Nothing happened after the unnecessary death of Neeraj Jain last year. The only incentive to improve safety on the roads seems to be based on garda enforcement and IMO this doesnt exist in any meaningful way.

The whole city covered in cycle lanes and a 30kph limit on the way but still not enough to persuade you not take take advantage of this criminal act to whinge and bitch. And they're asking on another thread why everyone hates cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tallaght thinking it's all high and mighty because AC Milan are coming

Sure I watched CR7s Madrid debut there.:cool:

coinop wrote: »
    I don't remember saying that.

An internet tough guy. Lol. The fact you're getting so upset shows me I'm asking the right questions. There are a select few elites who are getting rich off these immigration scams. Landlords, NGO shills, Deliveroo, to name a few. Meanwhile it's the ordinary Irish who suffer.

Vvh6GcY.png

Life is cheap in the Brazilian favelas. Innocent children get shot every day over pocket change. And you want to bring these people to Ireland? Lol.

And now a a racist twit. Interesting thread

Just caught up with all the posts here. Know some Brazilians. Top people.

Plus the Guards are not the problem. If the Judges actually sentenced criminals for the crimes they commit when they are caught there would be no problem. The Guards get sick of bringing vermin to court and having them laugh at them as they are released again and again and again. The same people are committing the same crimes all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,677 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Was it a deliberate act to mow him down? Was there an altercation beforehand.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Truthvader wrote: »
    The whole city covered in cycle lanes and a 30kph limit on the way but still not enough to persuade you not take take advantage of this criminal act to whinge and bitch. And they're asking on another thread why everyone hates cyclists
    Yet despite what I wrote, all you can do is play the man and not the ball.
    Can you not form one coherent fact based argument or are you permanently full of anti-cycling crap?

For clarity, if "The whole city covered in cycle lanes and a 30kph limit on the way", why did this incident happen? Why are all of the other incidents where cyclists end up in hospital?
    We've had this conversation before and you were unable to answer then, strange that you persist with your nonsense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Juvinile - he won't be paying for his crimes.

Yet despite what I wrote, all you can do is play the man and not the ball.
    Can you not form one coherent fact based argument or are you permanently full of anti-cycling crap?

For clarity, if "The whole city covered in cycle lanes and a 30kph limit on the way", why did this incident happen? Why are all of the other incidents where cyclists end up in hospital?
    We've had this conversation before and you were unable to answer then, strange that you persist with your nonsense :rolleyes:

Er.........this incident happened because a gang of criminal kids had access to a car. Try not to use every incident to promote your cycling fetish

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

Juvinile - he won't be paying for his crimes.

12 months in Oberstown with Sky Sports, PlayStation 4 and icecream twice a week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

why is everyone highlighting the guys nationality and race.
    He was a cyclist in dublin killed in a road accident, it could have been anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Wee Kid wrote: »
    There has been a GoFundMe started (I would link it but can't as I'm a new user).

But search Thiago Cortes gofundme.com and you'll find it.

It would be helpful to the family especially to the fly his body home, that is so expensive to do.

The fee to repatriate the body should be covered by his insurance which he would have had to have in place to do his English course in the country.

I'm always perplexed why anti-social behaviour is never an election issue, either local or national.

I couldn't agree more. Whichever party realizes the true feelings of the people out there will walk into office on the back of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

Absolutely blows my mind to see people making an immigration issues out of this, anyways, he's a Juvenile, he and the other 3 in the car will go before a judge, their solicitor will say the following:

They're from a deprived area
    They have learning difficulties
    They have substance abuse issues
    They come from a dysfunctional household
    They were groomed into crime and anti-social behaviour by older criminals
    They want to get back on track and turn their lives around
    They want to study to become [insert profession or trade]
    They're really very sorry

They'll do 18 months in Oberstown, then back out to pick up where they left off. We have a notional police force at best, undermanned, underfunded, undertrained, and after bringing the same criminals before the same judges just to see them walk out again with yet another conviction to add to the dozens if not hundreds they already have, their morale is in the minus area now.
    We've had decades of lenient sentences and generations have grown up with the knowledge that there is absolutely no sanction for their behaviour, it's time to try something else, bring on the same for-profit prison industrial complex they have in the states, get these people off the streets and give society a 5-10 year break from them en masse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

CucaFace wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more. Whichever party realizes the true feelings of the people out there will walk into office on the back of this.

Emailed Martin highlighting this. I suppose its just anti pc to be vocal about it. Ireland has always had a chip on its shoulder around law enforcement even among the middle class etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Just caught up with all the posts here. Know some Brazilians. Top people.

Plus the Guards are not the problem. If the Judges actually sentenced criminals for the crimes they commit when they are caught there would be no problem. The Guards get sick of bringing vermin to court and having them laugh at them as they are released again and again and again. The same people are committing the same crimes all the time.

Honestly, look at the lack of integrity Séamus Woulfe is showing at the moment and you have a vaild point.

For a long time I've thought that the judges and legal profession is operating within its own self interested boundaries leading to widespread social problems. A lad walking through the revolving courts door with 200 convictions is a serious money spinner.

I doubt the likes of Woulfe gives a **** from his gated abode in Killiney or wherever.

CucaFace wrote: »

Wrong. Any party or person who goes near this is immediately labelled anti traveller, anti young people, rascist, right wing etc etc. It is an untouchable issue. Far safer to pull a Richard Boyd Barrett "I care about everyone so much" before running back to you D4 pad as quick as you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

coinop wrote: »
    Why are there so many Brazilians in Dublin, does anyone know? And why are they all Deliveroo drivers? The government pump out propaganda that the non-EU immigrants entering the country are all high IQ doctors and engineers yet they all seem to be riding bikes and engaging in illicit activities.

I went out with a Brazilian girl for a while. On our first date I asked her what made her pick Ireland to learn English, thinking i'd be proud of the answer, Ireland being the land of saints and scholars and all that. She said it's the easiest place to get a visa for and easy to pick up money working off the books.

Niallof9 wrote: »
    Emailed Martin highlighting this. I suppose its just anti pc to be vocal about it. Ireland has always had a chip on its shoulder around law enforcement even among the middle class etc.

It shows up the level of intelligence of the people who run for office in this country and their general disconnect from the general public. I mean Casey purely through luck hit upon this nerve when he mentioned travelers and got a huge increase in votes. Yet none of the main parties decided to use this in the last general election. FG also seemed totally oblivious to the anger over the housing issues.

I personally wouldn't mind an increase in taxes if they said it would be ring fenced for new prisons to be built and for the Gardai and especially judges to be held accountable for allowing the same scum to drag this country don the drain.

I went out with a Brazilian girl for a while. On our first date I asked her what made her pick Ireland to learn English, thinking i'd be proud of the answer, Ireland being the land of saints and scholars and all that. She said it's the easiest place to get a visa for and easy to pick up money working off the books.

Always beats me why there is such hostility to people coming here who want to work. Any Brazilian here 6 months has already contributed more to the country that any home grown inbred scumbag and his family have in the last three generations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

And now a a racist twit. Interesting thread

Brazilians are a race now?

i'm a cyclist and i have to say these deliveroo cyclists are shocking the way they cycle.
    Not all of course, but the majority of the ones i see on a daily basis have no regard for the rules of the road.
    Perhaps some good will come of it, if their current cyclists/employees have to undergo an immediate training course to help protect their safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Absolutely, and the ones who can afford to pay for flights, pay language school fees and whatnot, are almost always wealthy or at least middle class Brazilians.

It always makes me laugh how Irish people who head to Australia to work in manual jobs are considered to be having a gap year or a holiday, but so many people here can't comprehend that wealthy South Americans come and do the same thing here. It's like people can't get it into their heads that 'brown' people aren't all poor. It's pure ignorance.

The fella was who was killed was saving up to do a Master's in Business, indicating he was already educated to degree level. Killed by some knacker scumbags who would probably struggle to write their own name.

Ireland not having a 1 year working visa for people from the third world would be the main reason for that. Do we have any 1 year visas for other countries to come here??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Absolutely blows my mind to see people making an immigration issues out of this, anyways, he's a Juvenile, he and the other 3 in the car will go before a judge, their solicitor will say the following:

They're from a deprived area
    They have learning difficulties
    They have substance abuse issues
    They come from a dysfunctional household
    They were groomed into crime and anti-social behaviour by older criminals
    They want to get back on track and turn their lives around
    They want to study to become [insert profession or trade]
    They're really very sorry

They'll do 18 months in Oberstown, then back out to pick up where they left off. TWe have a notional police force at best, undermanned, underfunded, undertrained, and after bringing the same criminals before the same judges just to see them walk out again with yet another conviction to add to the dozens if not hundreds they already have, their morale is in the minus area now.
    We've had decades of lenient sentences and generations have grown up with the knowledge that there is absolutely no sanction for their behaviour, it's time to try something else, bring on the same for-profit prison industrial complex they have in the states, get these people off the streets and give society a 5-10 year break from them en masse.

Yah, but that won't cut it this time around, they knocked over a cyclist and left him there to die. The driver is looking at least 5 years minimum even if he is a juvenile but more than likely more. This is in the news, the judge will want to make an example of him, no two ways about it.

I dont buy the argument that the gards are underfunded, a significant proportion of our GDP is spent on them and often crimes are not followed up on. Its time there was a little more accountability within the force rather than the same old line, we are underfunded and understaffed.

This is not a difficult crime to figure out, they have good cctv evidence, they have the car, more than likely fingerprints, on top of this, they probably already know who committed it. Wont be long before at least one of them is dragged in and talks to save his own skin. Let the process take its course before slamming it.

Be careful what you wish for with regard to the US, how often do we hear about people being imprisoned & sometimes put to death over there as a result of a miscarriage of justice. People being handed 30/40 year sentences, it doesnt act as a deterrent to crime, in fact, studies have shown it exacerbates it. I know which system I would prefer.

The youths coming from deprived areas like this often do turn out to be scumbags but how about looking at the route cause of why this is so than just blaming a soft judicial system. Its a lazy tired old argument at this stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Er.........this incident happened because a gang of criminal kids had access to a car. Try not to use every incident to promote your cycling fetish
    Nothing to do with my "cycling fetish" I love cars so much so that I was mod of the boards motors forum for years. Driving in Ireland is horrible with too many cars and too many incompetent drivers.
    However, this happened because we tolerate those crap driving standards and have poor enforcement of our existing road traffic laws.
    This happened because our media encourage a victim-blaming culture.
    This happened because it has happened so many times before yet little has changed.
    Yes these four were kids who had access to a car. Makes no difference. Inappropriate driving throughout the country is killing people (not just cyclists) every week and we do sweet fa about it.
    i'm a cyclist and i have to say these deliveroo cyclists are shocking the way they cycle.
    Not all of course, but the majority of the ones i see on a daily basis have no regard for the rules of the road.
    Perhaps some good will come of it, if their current cyclists/employees have to undergo an immediate training course to help protect their safety.
    Whilst I agree to a point, when they are cycling along a road they occupy that lane. Any traffic must overtake the cyclist as if they were overtaking another driver.
    As for training courses, remember that despite training and testing drivers still cause hundreds of incidents daily. You're vicitm blaming here. The driver killed Thiago, not that he didn't do a cycling training course.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

It's simply because Ireland is the only country that allows them to work while they study.

Nothing to do with my "cycling fetish" I love cars so much so that I was mod of the boards motors forum for years. Driving in Ireland is horrible with too many cars and too many incompetent drivers.
    However, this happened because we tolerate those crap driving standards and have poor enforcement of our existing road traffic laws.
    This happened because our media encourage a victim-blaming culture.
    This happened because it has happened so many times before yet little has changed.
    Yes these four were kids who had access to a car. Makes no difference. Inappropriate driving throughout the country is killing people (not just cyclists) every week and we do sweet fa about it.

Whilst I agree to a point, when they are cycling along a road they occupy that lane. Any traffic must overtake the cyclist as if they were overtaking another driver.
    As for training courses, remember that despite training and testing drivers still cause hundreds of incidents daily. You're vicitm blaming here. The driver killed Thiago, not that he didn't do a cycling training course.

That's your opinion that i'm victim blaming and you're entitled to it, but it's wrong.
    I wasn't at the scene so how would i know exactly what happened, my point was that some of these cyclists can be lawless or simply do not know our rules of the road. A training course would certainly help the current employess and the future employes.
    So as you called me a victim blamer, i feel free to call you a sensationalist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

That's your opinion that i'm victim blaming and you're entitled to it, but it's wrong.
    I wasn't at the scene so how would i know exactly what happened, my point was that some of these cyclists can be lawless or simply do not know our rules of the road. A training course would certainly help the current employess and the future employes.
    So as you called me a victim blamer, i feel free to call you a sensationalist

It's exactly what you did in your post. The cyclist (could have been anyone) was struck by a car with 4 scumbags.

You said "Perhaps some good will come of it" = victim blaming.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    It's exactly what you did in your post. The cyclist (could have been anyone) was struck by a care with 4 scumbags.

You said "Perhaps some good will come of it" = victim blaming.

no you're looking for things there i'm afraid, a looney left millenial no doubt,
    i have explained what i meant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you don't think the driver had anything to do with it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement