Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not sure why this has turned into a thread venting about scumbags in Dublin. There's been plenty of hit-and-runs by people with more desirable eircodes over the years. I could be wrong but I doubt they purposefully ran him over.

Complain about the lack of enforcement of driving standards and lack of decent infrastructure for walking and cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I was so sad to hear this news.

The area around the IFSC is an utter sh1thole and I've long despaired about how so much of the tiny city centre is so rough and basically lawless. Yes, all cities have their bad parts, but I can't think of any which have so many bad parts so close to the city centre, with the police just totally ignoring the scummy behaviour.

I have a friend who lost his father after being attacked by some random scumbag not far from where this happened.

Why do the Guards just stand by and let this happen?

Lets be realistic, these events are fairly regular. Theres a few days of outraged comment on here and then we all go back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

xckjoo wrote: »
    Not sure why this has turned into a thread venting about scumbags in Dublin. There's been plenty of hit-and-runs by people with more desirable eircodes over the years. I could be wrong but I doubt they purposefully ran him over.

Complain about the lack of enforcement of driving standards and lack of decent infrastructure for walking and cycling.

Brazilian Deliveroo drivers have been specifically targeted for years now so it’s not a major stretch to conclude deliberate running over as a possiblity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

CageWager wrote: »
    This poor man’s death while just minding his own business doing his job is the natural conclusion to continually letting scrotes rack up 100’s of convictions while remaining on the streets. When they get caught, some bleeding heart social worker will be in to the judge like a bullet to tell him/her how this young man has been let down by society etc. No personal responsibility.

There is no fear of the justice system in this country anymore and innocents will continue to die because of it.

I am of the opinion that we are fast approaching the day where an average middle class father loses his **** Michael Douglas style and goes to town on scum city,

Looks like the driver is fifteen. FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Would there be a noticeable amount of Garda patrolling on foot around the business/financial area in Dublin?

The area around Dublin 1 that's from the Liffey to Cathal Brugha street N-S and O'Connell Street to Commons St E-W, operates on relatively light touch policing.

There's a decent Garda presence, but they're there on a containment basis more than an enforcement one. People engaging in anti-social behaviour, drug dealing, and other minor crimes will be left alone by the Gardai provided they stick to that area and leave tourists/outsiders alone.

It's not an official policy, but if you go for a walk down there you'll see all sorts of behaviours being conducted openly that you'd never see near Stephen's Green or Dublin Castle.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

But it shouldn't all be about enforcement.
    It's about derivers overtaking when they think it is ok but when the cyclist ahead of them has a pothole they need to avoid.
    It's about drivers thinking that it's ok to park in a cycle lane for a few minutes just to pop into the shops or while they drop their kids off at school or whatever.
    It's about drivers becoming impatient once they see a cyclist ahead and getting so agressive at being held up for a few seconds that they speed past the cyclist only to stop at a red light just ahead.
    It's about drivers "left hooking" cyclists where they overtake a cyclist only to turn left straight away. This cyclist was intending to travel straight ahead: https://streamable.com/mlnii7
    Drivers need to be a little bit responsible for their behaviour and it shouldn't require a threat of a fine or penalty points to show some basic courtesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Ush1 wrote: »
    There is a huge amount in IT working. They are well educated and to be honest technically better than many Irish working in the industry.

Ah I thought it was you, that I spotted on generalisation.com

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Imagine escaping the poverty and violence of Brazil only to get killed by knackers in Dublin? Sad.

Those "students" are not poor at all. The poors are the ones that works in meat factories around rural Ireland, they usually coming from a state called Goiás.

Because there is a consistent issue with Deliveroo drivers being harassed by scumbags from the city centre (numerous videos of it) and now they’ve killed one. Furthermore some scums then went and threw fireworks into the vigil to commemorate him.

And yet nothing will be done - these scums are utterly shameless, they just cry about “no facilities, disadvantaged background” and know they’ve carte blanche to do what they want without consequences.

People are ****ing sick of it and they’re sick of all the people who try and act like there’s not a serious problem with antisocial behaviour amongst the welfare class of the inner city - you yourself attempt to engage in this “both sidesism” with your talk of desirable postcodes - bollocks, you don’t see Deliveroo drivers harassed and assaulted in Foxrock, Dalkey yet it happens on the daily in the city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

seamus wrote: »
    The area around Dublin 1 that's from the Liffey to Cathal Brugha street N-S and O'Connell Street to Commons St E-W, operates on relatively light touch policing.

There's a decent Garda presence, but they're there on a containment basis more than an enforcement one. People engaging in anti-social behaviour, drug dealing, and other minor crimes will be left alone by the Gardai provided they stick to that area and leave tourists/outsiders alone.

It's not an official policy, but if you go for a walk down there you'll see all sorts of behaviours being conducted openly that you'd never see near Stephen's Green or Dublin Castle.

At the back and side of Woodquay Civic Offices there is open drug dealing at all hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ah I thought it was you, that I spotted on generalisation.com

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It's about derivers overtaking when they think it is ok but when the cyclist ahead of them has a pothole they need to avoid.
    It's about drivers thinking that it's ok to park in a cycle lane for a few minutes just to pop into the shops or while they drop their kids off at school or whatever.
    It's about drivers becoming impatient once they see a cyclist ahead and getting so agressive at being held up for a few seconds that they speed past the cyclist only to stop at a red light just ahead.
    It's about drivers "left hooking" cyclists where they overtake a cyclist only to turn left straight away. This cyclist was intending to travel straight ahead: https://streamable.com/mlnii7
    Drivers need to be a little bit responsible for their behaviour and it shouldn't require a threat of a fine or penalty points to show some basic courtesy.

Why did the cyclist not Stop and go His intended way after?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

coinop wrote: »
    Surely the USA and Canada are closer for Brazilians? Language schools are closed during the pandemic so why are they really here? I appreciate your reply but you're guessing. I was hoping someone in the know could fill me in.

Closer? Mexico maybe, Brazil not. Also, most feel more connected to Europe than to USA, and the ones that can get a EU passport usually goes first to Italy, then they move on. Italian passport is useless on your mentioned countries.

Then you have the meat factory workers, the first wave of Brazilians that arrived in Ireland in 1999. It was during a time all Irish people wanted to work in construction, so the employers had to go to Brazil and offered jobs on the meat factories there. First one in Gort Co. Galway followed by the one in Ballyjamesduff Co. Cavan. Obviously other people followed the first ones that arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Would it not be better if we did like most other European countries and had separate infastructure for cyclists/walkers etc.
    They drive a lot more agressively in other European with cars and scooters everywhere, our infastructure in Dublin especially cannot have bicycles and cars on the same streets and be safe.
    People say we have no money but we have one of the highest public bills in the world according to the Trioca that when they left we went back to the way it was before, difficult to have money for judges, politicians playing golfn and have cycle lanes for bikes...

vicwatson wrote: »

Why should he?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Apparently whilst out for exercise, he was forced to turn to avoid an incident so followed that route.
    It's a pity that is what you took from my post though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Most of them come to learn English and are students. Don’t quote me on that though. No too sure why they are all Brazilians though

As someone who worked briefly as an English teacher to a mostly Brazilian class I can tell you that this is a complete scam. As part if their visa conditions they are required to ENROL in classes to get their stamps but it us purely a means to come and work, class participation mostly involved sleeping after their night shift.

Would it not be better if we did like most other European countries and had separate infastructure for cyclists/walkers etc.
    They drive a lot more agressively in other European with cars and scooters everywhere, our infastructure in Dublin especially cannot have bicycles and cars on the same streets and be safe.
    They're trying to make a start on this but then you see the likes of this...
    https://twitter.com/vallenduuk_ie/status/1195338355019591680

• Advertisement

Imagine escaping the poverty and violence of Brazil only to get killed by knackers in Dublin? Sad.
    These lads are not poor. Poor Brazilians remain in Brazil.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As we've all seen with Phil Hogan, the law isn't applied to people at the top either.

Which reminds me, has DOB ever been taking in for questioning for bribing Micheal Lowry to get the state's second mobile phone licence?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    As we've all seen with Phil Hogan, the law isn't applied to people at the top either.

Which reminds me, has DOB ever been taking in for questioning for bribing Micheal Lowry to get the state's second mobile phone licence?

Laws, like taxes, are for those in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭lainey_d_123

To the person giving out about Brazilians coming here. They come on what are essentially working holidays to learn English for a year or two. The same thing Irish hoardes do in Australia. And we are often in the news there for the wrong reasons.

Absolutely, and the ones who can afford to pay for flights, pay language school fees and whatnot, are almost always wealthy or at least middle class Brazilians.

It always makes me laugh how Irish people who head to Australia to work in manual jobs are considered to be having a gap year or a holiday, but so many people here can't comprehend that wealthy South Americans come and do the same thing here. It's like people can't get it into their heads that 'brown' people aren't all poor. It's pure ignorance.

The fella was who was killed was saving up to do a Master's in Business, indicating he was already educated to degree level. Killed by some knacker scumbags who would probably struggle to write their own name.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,132 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What you're asking is why don't I let a bully stop me doing something I love doing?

When the risk is so immense, yes. The ratios involved do not make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Absolutely, and the ones who can afford to pay for flights, pay language school fees and whatnot, are almost always wealthy or at least middle class Brazilians.

It always makes me laugh how Irish people who head to Australia to work in manual jobs are considered to be having a gap year or a holiday, but so many people here can't comprehend that wealthy South Americans come and do the same thing here. It's like people can't get it into their heads that 'brown' people aren't all poor. It's pure ignorance.

The fella was who was killed was saving up to do a Master's in Business, indicating he was already educated to degree level. Killed by some knacker scumbags who would probably struggle to write their own name.

Exactly, there's a huge middle class in Brazil, they are the ones coming here, not Favella kids trying to escape gun crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Because there is a consistent issue with Deliveroo drivers being harassed by scumbags from the city centre (numerous videos of it) and now they’ve killed one. Furthermore some scums then went and threw fireworks into the vigil to commemorate him.

And yet nothing will be done - these scums are utterly shameless, they just cry about “no facilities, disadvantaged background” and know they’ve carte blanche to do what they want without consequences.

People are ****ing sick of it and they’re sick of all the people who try and act like there’s not a serious problem with antisocial behaviour amongst the welfare class of the inner city - you yourself attempt to engage in this “both sidesism” with your talk of desirable postcodes - bollocks, you don’t see Deliveroo drivers harassed and assaulted in Foxrock, Dalkey yet it happens on the daily in the city centre.
    No I didn't. I pointed out that hit-and-run drivers aren't just scumbags from inner city Dublin. Sh1t drivers are everywhere and lots of people are sick of that and sick of people acting like that's not a serious issue.

I'm fully on board with anti social behavior being addressed by the way. There's a systematic lack of enforcement of law and order in this country that's getting out of control.

Can't wait to see the little knacker's face when the judge sentences him to one year in prison with six months suspended.

You won’t see him as he’s a juvenile. I’d personally call him a c unt of a juvenile or the juvenile of a **** or both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

As far as I'm concerned deliveroo staff like Thiago Cortes are essential workers. The mob who killed him and ran probably support the anti-Irish goons who protest outside the GPO every Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement