Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Evade

Who said that? The argument has been what's age appropriate for children to attend not that parents can only attend Barney or panto or whatever children's entertainment. Why can't the parents leave the child with someone else if they want to attend something inappropriate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It isn’t inappropriate is my point, so why would they need to leave their children with someone else?

Incidentally I’m still waiting for a person to explain exactly why it is inappropriate without resorting to emotionally manipulative cries of “it just is okay???” Come on, who’s gonna make the case for the prosecution?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

As for the simulated sex I think that very young children, even if they are unaware of the erotic context, tend to copy behaviour they have seen grown ups do.

Surely not if it doesn't "register with them"?

okay then fair enough

so Fugue what toddlers are you aware of that understand the concept of being “sexy” or indeed possess the wherewithal to be sexually attracted to someone/something? I don’t know any.

So what you see and what they see might be the same thing however how that information is processed in their brain is so wildly different to you surely this is easy to comprehend?

you see “sexy” or “raunchy” or “provocative”

they see a man, wearing weird clothes who kind of dresses like [insert person they know who might dress in that way here]. They literally are too innocent to get it.

But that aside I think there’s worlds of difference between clothed people and naked people when it comes to exposure to kids. I would be on the side of this particular show being questionable as entertainment for kids I think the outfits are too revealing tbh. Drag shows I don’t see any issue but just this particular one is maybe not great for kids but can you seriously sit there and tell me with a straight face that it’s equally as bad or worse than bringing a small child to a strip club?

Lets put aside the obvious women with tops or pants off dancing naked on a pole and just focus for a moment on the atmosphere of the place..

Anyway, in the states they don’t seem to think this is a big deal. When I was over there before and I’ve heard loads of times that Hooter’s is a really popular place for the family. I suspect more likely for the dad to ogle the women but regardless kids are there very often.

If you’re not familiar hooters is the restaurant chain where the staff dress in low cut tops and shorts and just generally in a “sexy” way. I think it’s kind of weird to bring kids there but if the women were walking around topless then I’d be inclined to call the police or social services.

Honestly the outfits their wearing I mean most kids would see worse going to the beach.. I saw worse on beaches in Spain.. god the horror.

Anyway TL;DR

naked men or women in front of kids? A fcuking crime

half naked men or women in front of kids? Personally find it a touch strange but also it’s not really that big a deal seeing as the kids haven’t a flipping clue anyway and I don’t suspect they’ll be enterally traumatised by it.

Also find it funny that some of the same folks here crying about this and shouting

WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN

are the same people who think Enoch burke is in the right but what about those children?

i guess you only think of the children when it aligns with your own personal POV. Funny how that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You’re living in a dream world if you think parents are obliged only to attend entertainment functions that are aimed at children.

That’s not anything like an argument I ever made? At no point have I ever suggested that parents were obligated only to attend entertainment functions that are aimed at children. The objections here are to the fact that adults are bringing children to entertainment functions which are aimed at adults. It’s why I wholeheartedly agreed with you that the children aren’t aware of what’s going on around them, my point was that the adults who are around the children are acutely aware of what’s going on, and what they’re all getting out of it. The children’s welfare is of no concern whatsoever, which is exactly the problem.

Many parents take their kids to rock concerts, the theatre, opera, and so on, most of which are not aimed at children. Parents can pursue their own interests with kids in tow, particularly when they cause no harm in children (such as the dance show we’re talking about)

Nobody is arguing with the idea that parents can pursue their own interests with their children in tow. In each and every one of the examples you give, the parents are aiming for their children to develop an interest in whatever it is, whether it’s rock concerts, theatre, opera, whatever. Those examples are not the same as events aimed at adults who find attending events aimed at their children to be too boring for them.

They’re two separate ideas you’re conflating there - one is the idea of parents introducing their children to an activity they hope their children develop an interest in, or in pursuit of their children’s development, whereas the other is entirely focused on what the adults are getting out of it for themselves, and the children are merely an accessory to the whole experience. If I dare to dwell on it the rationale suggests nothing positive, and puts the idea squarely in the realm of child beauty pageants.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Have a look at the Tavistock scandal in England and you should have the answer to your question there

What have transgender children in England (or anywhere) got to do with my post?

Firstly the child at the centre of Burkes tantrum is not transgender they are non binary.

Secondly it affects all children in the school. I made sure to not single anyone out.

In any case I am just bemused at the double standard, I suppose.

“Children must be protected and defended at all costs (except when those children are doing something I don’t abide by)..” is what I’m getting from some comments here tbh

anyway total aside and I’m not dragging burke in here he has a thread all about him.

You’re wasting your time if you keep trying to catch me out with a bad-faith “gotcha” question.

How about you, or someone else, actually try to explain your position regarding your topic instead of me repeating the point I have made so well over and over. I’m all ears.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

What have transgender kids got to to with the Enoch Burke case? Strange question.

Let's be clear - Burke is an idiot and his actions in protesting his views are disgraceful. If that was your original point, then I agree.

But - and I may have taken your post up wrong - if you think the kid in question should be referred to as "they" just because, well this has everything to do with Burke's views and Tavistock. And distinguishing between transgender/non-binary/whatever nonsense you're making up today doesn't change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

naked men or women in front of kids? A fcuking crime

Depends on the context - I've been on plenty of nudist and clothing-optional beaches and saunas where it's been almost entirely naked. And you know what kids do on nudist beaches when there's lots of naked people around?

Same thing they do on every beach - go swimming and build sandcastles.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yeah I should have said I mean in the context of like strip clubs or the likes. Even that show with the drag queens (is that what they’re called?) if they were cutting about with their lads out it’d be a much bigger problem and clearly unacceptable.

i was in Spain before as young lad and it was perfectly socially acceptable for women to be topless and no one seemed to care. It’s all about context I suppose really.

The explosion of the whole genderqueer/fluid extra genders thing is definitely a social contagion and maybe most of those kids shouldn't be indulged.

I would like to know seems you are making a statement.

Or are you making up things to try back up a point?

If you're dancing in heels, thongs, and bandage gear maybe it's just best to keep all children away from that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭Cordell

Enoch Burke is not in the right, he is a religious nutjob driven by hate.

But yes, it's all about the children, including those children. I will need your explicit permission to elaborate, but I'd rather not.

It's not "half naked" though. It's just a tiny thong, nothing more. I don't think kids should be brought to Hooters either - ew, sleazy.

I mean you're agreeing that this situation is questionable too. It's not a strip club, no, but the sight I described is something that you absolutely would see in a strip club.

It's the naysayers who are the ones arguing in bad faith, coming up with bullsh1t gotchas. They are only being contrarian for the sake of it - out of spite. To call people prudes when they know full well it's not prudish, and they secretly agree. It IS an attempt to gaslight. Don't be fooled by them. And their "argument" boils down to "small kids won't know" - talk about inane. In that case, why are there restrictions on any visual material that's raunchy? (I don't agree that Enoch Burke was right).

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Incidentally I’m still waiting for a person to explain exactly why it is inappropriate without resorting to emotionally manipulative cries of “it just is okay???”

Still waiting.

I’m beginning to think that maybe it’s because the people posting about how bad it is can’t justify it.

• Advertisement

You should aim your post at them, rather than implying a lot of us were defending Enoch Burke.

No, I’m making an observation and refusing to name any names. If your own personal observations differ that’s fine too.

I don’t find any value in “making things up” to prove a point. The point proves itself or it’s one not worth making.

Look I won’t say I’d bring my own kids to see it but at the same time I don’t think I’m be foaming at the mouth with outrage if the Mrs did you know what I mean?

Atmospherically speaking alone a strip club is an apples to oranges comparison. I think what some folk here are trying to convey is that they find it personally icky or uncomfortable, which I would side with, but it’s not wrong either?

Thats my thoughts on it anyways to boil it down to a sentence or two.

kids in strip clubs? Wrong.

Kids at one of these shows in a community centre? Fringe at worst imo

You don’t need my permission to do or say anything. If you cannot make a point without being offensive then perhaps the point you’re making is faulty in the first place.

There is no direct causality between the fact that an argument is offensive and it's validity. Especially when the offense is taken by choice, and not intended to be part of the argument.

But you didn't make an observation, you stated posters here are backing up Burke.

You are refusing to name anyone because you can't name anyone.

Your post was not worth making if you can't back up your statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think we can all agree on one thing: Enoch Burke is NOT woke.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I don’t think anyone feels like engaging with you since you threw your toys out the pram and made blanket statements about transphobic bigots again. Once an argument has reached this ridiculous phase there is no point in continuing it.

I’ll leave it there.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement