Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,815 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We are not light years from those puke standards, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

As a Internet personality fron the west of Ireland whos name I dont know,, but was told this second hand..

"We're rearing a generation of Rockshore drinkers"

The avoidance of the smallest hint of offence or hurt feelings is the new civil rights movement for the idle minds with fcuk all to really worry about

It's a direct result of "everyone gets a medal" on race day. Now these kids have grown up with their fragility

You don't need to say you're no prude. This is just obnoxious. The performers, those who defend them (for optics), everyone else... KNOW that burlesque is just for adults. This isn't drag story hour (which doesn't bother me because it's not sexual - although I don't get why it's a thing), it's not dudes in drag wearing gowns and telling harmless jokes (like the drag queens in Cinderella) - it's guys wearing sexy, skimpy clothing, contorting their bodies suggestively. And that's absolutely grand for adults, but bringing toddlers to them?! (Yeah babies won't remember but it's still **** weird to bring them). Everyone knows full well that that's inappropriate. Everyone does. The idiots who defend it (because they simply cannot agree with any conservative person and they're extremely intellectually dishonest) come up with reaches like "what about a male ballerina?" and "the kids enjoy the bright colours" (because of course bright colours for little kids aren't available anywhere else) and of course "it's transphobic" (when they're the only ones bringing trans people into it) and bigotry, etc etc. But again, they know it's inappropriate - however, ideology trumps everything.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,033 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seen stronger at Cirque du Soleil, to be honest.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm sure you've seen stronger acrobats actors and entertainers in general. What we don't usually see is adults engaging in kinks which are sexual in nature around small infants, and some would say that's for good reason, but apparently that's now up for discussion. And if you think drag show participants (the ones who do it and the ones going to enjoy others doing it) are not doing it for the sexual kick you're kidding yourself.

This is not funny and I will stop discussing it here because I'm afraid I'm really gonna speak my mind and get banned again ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I wouldn't know much about Cirque du Soleil but a quick look at it shows this kind of thing;

From what I read about the performance in the post you quoted, what one of the performers is wearing is suggestive of bondage gear, not that I would know but yea it does have vibes of kinkiness.

If you bring it up and then decided yo udon't want to discuss it or can't discuss it without being banned, you're either a troll or a coward or both, but in the case it's neither: what kink are you talking about?

How about this? if I photoshop this into a gym hall with families you'd lose your **** and yet the only difference is the size of the arena.

Or, if not, tell me what you see is the difference between the images I posted and the images in the original event. And don't just winp out and say "it's inapproriate" or "it's sexual" - tell me what the actual differenc eis that you see and why one is inapproriate and one isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

If you bring it up and then decided yo udon't want to discuss it or can't discuss it without being banned, you're either a troll or a coward or both, but in the case it's neither: what kink are you talking about?

Yes.

Have to admit: I find it kind of ironic that the recent tone has been outrage against woke sentiments that something alllegedy offends sensitivities, and then here you are getting outrages because something offended your sensitivies, but we leave this here as you request...

Well yeah you make a fair point about Cirque du Soleil. But aren't the two contexts different? The intention of CDS isn't to be sexy and raunchy.

• Advertisement

I thought you were going to come back with something a bit more salacious than that because what you've offered is tame in comparison the original tweet. I don't see any allusions to sexual fetishes in those so I would have no more objection to kids being in the audience at Cirque du Soleil that I would them watching a professional male swimming contest.

The only way you could have a point is if you could show an instance of non-lgbt people i.e. bog standard heterosexual's doing the same kind of act in front baby's and show that nobody complained about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Karppi

I’ve enjoyed Cirque de Soliel performances, but not whilst simultaneously breast feeding. People need to get a grip

....and the purpose of the event highlighted IS supposed to be sexy and ruanchy...? Have they actualy said this, or are you assuming it's their propose (in which case, it's a very dangerous assumption to make).

Again, I'm not seeing sexual fetishes in either set of photos. And again, I challenge you to point out what sexual fetishes you see because I'm of the opinoin this is something you want to see. At best you could say the costume or the material but unless the guy is wearing it to provoke, you don't have an argument. ANY material can be a sexual fetish in certain context, and it's context you have to prove if you want your point to stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Doc07

CDS Zumanity is an over 18s show.

I’ve been to it, it’s not bad but I wouldn’t bring my primary school age kids to it.

Lowering of the bar as to what "*very* dangerous" means there P. *Very* dangerous is stepping out in front of a car, overdosing, going for a swim in the sea during a heavy storm.

Nothing but a thong and stilletos is erotic. We all know it - no need for dishonesty. And fetish gear... is erotic.

Whether worn by men or women.

Look if your position is that that black outfit doesn't in any way resemblance fetish gear then I'll take to The Hoist in London for a few drinks to see if you might change your mind. I'll even provide you with a whip in case you might fancy giving me a few lashes there.

So you admit to making it up.

Your last two lines are irrelevant and I've come to fact that you haven't seen any of these and instead are creating lurid scenes in your head to pass off as fact. Evidence? Wild claim, nothing to do with topic and going for the moral high hourse.

It doesn;t matter what it looks like! It's a costume. Some people wear clown costures and some get off on watching people in clown costrumes. But do you want clowns banned? No, that would be woke.

You've gone full circle now - killing creativity because your sensitivities have been offended, and passing it off as possessing higher morals that the others. You've gone woke.

What's with this fashion of "so you're saying such a thing" when that person didn't say such a thing at all. Most dishonest.

Scroll up to the photos P - you'll see the thong and stilletoes guy and the fetish costume guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Not a leopard print thong or pearl platform heel in sight. No thigh high leather boots either…. Bah

The original images had it all, and babies! Classy.

Nobody said anything about banning or killing creativity? Just keep adult stuff for over 18s.

This is the third time you've made a vague general statement that appears on topic but doesn't actuall have anything to do with the specific event or topic.

"Keep adult stuff for over 18s' - yeah, oviously..,

I haven't made any vague statements, I've just responded to your disingenuous ones (such as implying that people want this banned no matter who the audience is; and that people want to kill creativity - silly). Explain to me how my responses are vague and off topic.

It's straightforward - this is a show at which babies and toddlers were in attendance (that was actually the whole purpose of it). Yet look at the photos (these photos are from LBC by the way - not the Daily Mail):

It's clearly mature material. This is not appropriate for little kids. That's all. Nothing wrong with it for adults. I don't think they're paedophiles, groomers etc... I don't think you'd even have to be 18 to see it either. But just not a fecking toddler. It's completely unsuitable, and difficult to comprehend. Whatabouting in order to make people look like prudes doesn't change that it's not for little kids.

You did. I highlighted them. I've explained the killing creativity comment, you never challenged my explanation. I've seen people wearing thongs on public beaches and stilletos in Grafton Street. I've seen people naked on beaches. As I've said to other posters, anything can be kinky or fetishistic given context, but that doesn't it nessecarily is. There can even be crossover.

Now, you accused this group of inetntionally putting on a raunchy and sexy show and then dropped it very quickly when I challenged you on it; so you either provide evidence or context of this, retract it, or this ends here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

Whinging about bringing a baby or a toddler to a “burlesque show” absolutely is being prudish.

Unless the children are being interfered with themselves, or forced to watch simulated sex, they’re too young to discern whether the performance is anything other than dancing. Infants aren’t aware enough to know if it has any sexual element, or what a sexual element even is.

The same goes for if the performer is wearing a ballet costume, or doing a fan dance, or wearing leather underwear. Even a gimp mask, they’d probably think it’s like some Batman panto for grown ups if anything.

Mod edit: threadban lifted 7/3/23 - Raichu

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

It's more to do with boundaries. I used to work in a hotel with a dining area reserved for 16+. Nothing to do with anything weird going on it was just kept as a quiet area away from screaming kids. It didn't matter how well behaved your 12 and 14 year old were they couldn't come in. It's the same here just because the kid won't remember doesn't matter it should be kid free because someone with no parenting sense will bring a child that can be affected because there are some moronic parents out there.

to be fair folks I’ve seen some music videos from the last few years.. they’re far “sexier” than an acrobatics show.

But sure that’s ok I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Some people shouldn't have kids. Some amount of silly buggers going on in this thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement