Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭growleaves

He did not saying people were "inventing" being mentally ill.

Social contagion of affective states is a real phenomenon, see here:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0149763421005807

..and with the mass media acting as a virtual peer group what it puts out can affect people also.

Psychiatrists are trained never to mention suicide to a patient first, they must wait for the patient to bring it up before discussing it. Because the power of suggestion can mould a person's mental state.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭Evade

Munchausens syndrome exists so people absolutely can fake illness for attention.

• Do not discuss moderation on thread. This is not your first time, so now you can join them.

do not post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'll tell you what it is - a no go area :) what are you going to see there is the stuff nightmares are made from. Think Angela Merkel, topless, flopping around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Clearly, you've never been to Berlin - but are we to conclude then that you feel that it's only inappropriate with regards to young children if the women in question are attractive?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

• Anyway.. back to the actual topic at hand.

im sure people fake illness for attention including mental health but I also think it’s a bit of a stretch to say making the problem more widely known and awareness raised is hardly the sane thing as effectively brainwashing or subliminally making people feel they have mental health problems?

• In any case the awareness campaign was centred around the idea of making people feel like they don’t have to be “ashamed” of their feelings. It’s fair to say I think especially men have a big problem with doing so.

Suicide in Ireland is a major problem (as is depression) a lack of basic mental health care is definitely a huge part of it though.

Are you aware of how bulimia initially spread? It basically boils down to a woman went to a psychiatrist or psychologist because she would binge on food and then throw it up. The psychiatrist/psychologist thought this was a fascinating behaviour and wrote about it in a journal. Newspapers reported on it and then there was an explosion in cases. It happens.

There's also a weird kind of FOMO when someone has allowances made for them that you don't get.

No, that is what you are to conclude, I'm done concluding.

And I have seen stuff. I have been to topless places where on average women are more attractive than what you see in Berlin, but it's not the average that is going to stick with you for the rest of your life.

• no I never heard of this. Quite interesting indeed and it presents a major conundrum of what to do then?

like awareness of mental health, help that’s available etc is all vital but then you will have folks who I guess are hypochondriac that are sick with everything etc.

i guess it’s a question of are those people at genuine risk compared to a severely depressed person who’s barely hanging on?

• Advertisement

Yeah, it is a hard one. The other risk is those that aren't in need of a service taking the place of someone who is because of limited resources. In the past fake cases were probably pretty easy to spot but with the amount of access to information people have now it would be pretty easy to fake. There are even places online where you can be advised about what to do to get a desired diagnosis.

I only come to conclusions based on evidence, yours is inconcistent.

And I never said you hadn't been to a topless beach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

A no-go area IMO would be one where I would be at risk of experiencing involuntary arousal! The mental image of Angela Merkel is fine 😁 It was different when I was in the gym pool and next thing I spotted one of my coworkers exiting the dressing rooms to enter the pool. I got out of there pronto before such thoughts had any chance to form 😂

Basically I’d say it depends upon context, like when I’m in the dressing room and it’s all naked men just going about their business*, the only time I’d any issue was having to tell a guy the hand basin isn’t the place to be shaving his balls 🤨

*Anyone says that’s not normal, I’m going to feel very much like Joey when he found out ‘cupping’ isn’t a thing tailors do 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Contagion is also a risk factor among young people when one of their peers commits suicides.

The so-called 'copycat suicides' were discussed a few years ago when several teenagers took their own life in the same region.

Apparently, they see the attention given to the deceased person and that motivates them to seek the same for themselves. The brain of a teenager isn't fully developed so that flawed logic comes into play unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,997 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gary Linekar getting shafted by the BBC after expressing a quite reasonable and fair opinion re: the British government’s assylum policy, some craic now that a media corporation is sanctioning people who do work for them for daring to answer an honest question on their own time… with the ‘wrong answer ‘. when the answer doesn’t suit the BBC’s / British government’s woke narrative….it’s all aggression from the BBC, if he or a colleague had expressed the opposite view, nothing would have been said..

you are forbidden now from expressing any opinion, contrary to the woke narrative apparently. Wokeness is seemingly embracing a form of totalitarianism….don’t stray from the woke narrative.. or else… repercussions….

you can safely

1. say nothing
    2. say woke shîte

but don’t criticise the woke narrative or you’ll be cast to the ether of nothingness….

"Woke" people would agree with Lineker though.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I think this fits into this thread. So we all know Gary Lineker got withdrawn from hosting match of the day until they come to an agreement on his social media. This is after he criticised tory immigration policy saying they're using 1930s Germany language.

Well Ian Wright and Alan Shearer are now refusing to appear on MOTD in solidarity with Lineker.

The woke part is that these are the same buckos who went over and worked on the world Cup for the BBC in Qatar. Where was their solidarity then?

Hypocrites.

Even those who weren't even supposed to be on MOTD tomorrow are coming out saying they wouldn't have appeared if they had been planned to be on the coverage. They saw the good pr that Wright got and want some it! 🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Im lost with this…Is Gary not supposed to be the WOKE 😂 one in this incident not the British Govt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah, the BBC have deemed he broke impartiality guidelines after signing a commitment to abide by them the last time he was in hot water over his tweets. It's comes as no surprise he's 'stepping back'. I don't think there's any chance he'll be stepping forward going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭jackboy

I think they are protecting their paycheck. Sticking together so none of them can be targeted, like an unofficial little union.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I've seen reports of studies around similar with school shootings and suicides also, and not recently. As you say it presents a conundrum particular with the latter, but the bottom line is we can't not talk about it. I think the choice of words around reporting deaths by suicide is more out of respect for the deceased and their families than preventing a spread

Lineker -VS- The BBC is a simple case of the BBC not wanting to bite the hand that feeds it. They rely on the license fee so expect Lineker to avoid expressing political opinions on social media.

I doubt they'd be too concerned if he agreed with the policy though.

TBH I don't see the problem with her winning a women of courage award. After all, from all the other recipients, she actually has the biggest balls.

True, but Linkeker spoke his mind. The BBC should be accepting of different viewpoints and not censoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Edit: wrong page of comments. My bad.

From personal experience I’ve found over the last few years friends and colleagues will talk far more freely about mental health (a very good thing) but also then refuse to seek help or worse, self diagnose themselves (a very bad thing).

It’s OK to not be OK is a great message but not being OK still means there’s something not right.

Post edited by Danonino. on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I’ve actually just heard that Sam Smith and Eddie Izzard have offered to step up to the plate and present Match of the Day given no one else will do it.

it’s being renamed Match of the They.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭Karppi

Yep, they're going to regret this "stepping back" instruction. I'd say a large number of people would agree with Gary. I don't do Twitter, so I'll ask if anyone knows whether Gary's Twitter account basically says that "his views are his own"?? And of course, the BBC Chairman should be falling on his sword, not Gary Lineker. One rule for some, another rule for the others

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

So Gary Lineker can compare tory language to 1930s Germany yet people who compared vaccine mandates to nazi Germany, were abhorrent?

I agree with the second point. But you can't allow implications that tories are going to be fascists and have concentration camps if you can't allow comparisons for things you agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭thegame983

To be fair the woke position is that everyone who doesn't agree with them is a nazi.

At least Lineker is being consistent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement