Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

anewme wrote: »
    Then why raise it as an issue?

Why don't you ask the person who raised it.

gw80 wrote: »
    Ok the point went over your head, fair enough.

It didn't. It's deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It sounds like lads taking the piss out of each other , shock horror .

Ahh, the good old banter!

There are issues in respect of racism and homophobia in sports including rugby and football.

Anybody here not able to acknowledge that are only interested on furthering a bad faith argument.

Why don't you ask the person who raised it.

I did.

It's in my first quote on the topic.

The people upset are clearly the ones who dint want it to change. No one else cares.

I did.

It's in my first quote on the topic.

The people upset are clearly the ones who dint want it to change. No one else cares.

I don't think anyone is upset. I think it's a thread about silly things of the day. Pointing out things that people may find humorous or roll their eyes at.

I don't think anyone is remotely upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

Having person of tbe match sounds lame.

We could have followed the yanks on this and gone with Most Valuable Player (MVP) IF a change was really necessary, which i think it wasn't.

Hipp hop and Jazz are on the curriculum.
    The article also feels the need to add that " the vast bulk of tutors are white men"

To summarise:

At Oxford university Mozart and Beethoven are out. Snoop dogg , Jay z are in

Interesting that they are replacing some European music with African American music not African African music, or even Jamaican music like Reggae, which would have some relevance in Britain. I say this light heartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The funny thing about man/woman/person/player of the match at pro level is probably 99% of the players couldn't give a ****. It's usually awarded by a commentator or pundit and it's basically a sponsors award. There was some competition sponsored by Heineken where it was called the Heineken Star of the Match.

As far as I know it doesn't mean any extra cash in their pocket and their coach isn't going to decide they were brilliant because they got the award. If being PC keeps the sponsors happy and the money flowing, I'm sure the players are happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Absolutely nobody is upset.

If nobody is upset why change?

I think that's a circular argument. How is anyone offended by Man of The Match. Anyway it was award to an Irish Player at the Luxembourg game, is it always award to your own side?

Elmo wrote: »

I think that's a circular argument. How is anyone offended by Man of The Match. Anyway it was award to an Irish Player at the Luxembourg game, is it always award to your own side?

That’s what should change. Always annoyed me - the award should go to either side.

• Advertisement

You have me the wrong way around. I was saying that nobody was upset by the change. Just commenting on the silliness of the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭SnazzyPig

That’s what should change. Always annoyed me - the award should go to either side.

I remember when Ireland played Argentina in a friendly in the late nineties and the press gave the man of the match award to Ariel Ortega.

Robbie Keane made his debut and had a great game but Ireland lost 0 - 2.

As regards to your petty comment , the whole woke movement is extremely petty . Offended by this , change that , cancel that , ban this etc. Things that don't bother 99.9% of people so let's pander to idealistic idiots in case a handful of snowflakes get upset. It's just one thing after another . In twenty years time the words man/ woman will be like the N word.
    I was saying that nobody was upset by the change. Just commenting on the silliness of the change.

It might be fair to say that this poster is a tad upset.

God help us in 20 years. Will people remember it all happened over man of the match.:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,097 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So everyone's upset over the fact that no one's upset?

I'm upset that an Irtish player won the damn thing whatever it's called.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think her eyebrows are trying to make a run from the idiocy

https://twitter.com/wilderfortruth/status/1376218408648327171

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

silverharp wrote: »

/QUOTE]
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It might be fair to say that this poster is a tad upset.

God help us in 20 years. Will people remember it all happened over man of the match.:pac::pac:

Fair enough , if you said 20 years ago that men can have babies and pregnant woman should be called birthing people , you be locked up in an asylum . Now you're a bigot if you disagree with it . You don't think any of this new wave woke trend is getting a bit ridiculous ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

Hard to keep things "light hearted" when people that want the thread shut down spend their entire day in here aggressively arguing.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jdon72

The point of plasters like these are supposed to be that they're not as noticeable so of course they should be making ones for darker skin colours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It's hard to tell if it's satire or not . With the amount of fruitcakes on twitter , I'd go the the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Woke people are, obviously, left leaning. This group tend to be among the least fertile group of a population. So they will just breed themselves out of existence. Having kids is patriarchal, sexist and probably racist.

They will be nothing more than a curious footnote in history, and will be viewed as some weird anomaly from the first days of the internet. An example of self actualization taking a wrong turn.

Not that they wont try and wreck the gaff on their way out the door, so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Biker79 wrote: »
    Woke people are, obviously, left leaning.

Fine Gael are left-wing now?

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

MOD

Can everyone who is upset, please leave the thread.

Everyone else, while I am sure posters are glad of your concern, please stop asking each other if you are upset.

The mods are the ones getting upset with the state of the recent conversation.

Hard to keep things "light hearted" when people that want the thread shut down spend their entire day in here aggressively arguing.

Theres not much lighthearted about posting photos of trans people having conversations in corridors.

Nor, for that matter going on about 'bongo music'.

The funny bit is they laugh at the so called woke people, but when tackled head on about it, have a meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Theres not much lighthearted about posting photos of trans people having conversations in corridors.

Nor, for that matter going on about 'bongo music'.

The funny bit is they laugh at the so called woke people, but when tackled head on about it, have a meltdown.

A lot of the stuff posted in this thread is straightforward bigotry, rather than a response to any perceived excesses from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

They're the most oppressed because it happened in the US. The millions working on colonial plantations or such in Asia, or S.America don't count because they weren't brought into a western nation. As such, everyone else gets a back seat in claiming victimhood. That slavery and oppression existed long before white people appeared in Africa, or pretty much everywhere, doesn't matter. It only matters that there are African Americans in America today.

Why wouldn't South America count as western?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

So everyone's upset over the fact that no one's upset?

I'm upset that an Irtish player won the damn thing whatever it's called.

So at the end of the day we are all woke but dreaming of different things!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Theres not much lighthearted about posting photos of trans people having conversations in corridors. .

It is true the odd one is not valid or fake. That pic was actually Mario Rosenstock doing his impersonation of Joan Burton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭KevRossi

More triggering going on I see....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/mar/29/big-ship-phobia-suez-canal-ever-given
    The Suez boat saga enthralled the world – but not those with naviphobia
    Stuck container ship triggered people with fear of ships and sea wreckage and megalophobia, the fear of large objects

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement