Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

biko wrote: »

I mean, that’s an obvious parody IMO. Ripping the piss out of those weird Tiktoks where people lose their shit in cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,190 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I mean, that’s an obvious parody IMO. Ripping the piss out of those weird Tiktoks where people lose their shit in cars.

Ah, Biko - that's twice in a week now...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Considering the rest of her stuff on Tiktok it doesn't seem like it, not an ounce of parody in any of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Varik wrote: »
    Considering the rest of her stuff on Tiktok it doesn't seem like it, not an ounce of parody in any of it.

That could just mean the whole thing is a parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭Varik

That could just mean the whole thing is a parody account.

Doubt it, a load of it is her talking in as mild mannered as tiktok gets about dealing with an eating disorder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just because you wish it, doesn't make it so.

Tbh, I also wish it is a parody. It'd be too much if it's real and there are real people out there like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,852 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Maybe if we wish hard enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Tbh, I also wish it is a parody. It'd be too much if it's real and there are real people out there like this.

https://twitter.com/alexxxsilvas/status/1374908286558961668

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod: Once again we're drifting off from this thread remaining light-hearted. Cards and threadbans will have to follow if people can't adhere to the instructions in the OP going forward, there have been enough warnings in relation to this

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

“I think [the podcast] caused an incalculable amount of pain and trauma to Black physicians and patients. And I think it’s going to take a long time for the journal to heal that pain.”

A podcast. Caused. An. Incalculable. Amount. Of. Pain. And. Trauma.
    That is a classic de rigeur wokeism alright.

Also, the American Medical Association - I wonder, I wonder what other strand of this crazy ideology has cowed them into submission which has had real world effects...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Sir Oxman wrote: »

A podcast. Caused. An. Incalculable. Amount. Of. Pain. And. Trauma.
    That is a classic de rigeur wokeism alright.
    Indeed. We've become a very emotionally sensitive society. Now the usual thing you hear is "it's all about the feelz not logic", however societies no matter where or when you look have always run primarily on emotions and feelings. Most societies contained a large chunk of religion/spirituality, most ran on community, most ran on a sense of self and self importance and patriotism. All feelings. However they were feelings that were culturally transformed into meaning. For me that's the part that's often missing these days; meaning. Our "post modernist" world sees meaning as either unmeasurable, or to be outright avoided. Feelings without meaning are largely worthless and tend to be overreactive. Hence the "Incalculable pain" stuff.

Plus when attention becomes the commodity it is in the modern world you get an arms race of offence and hurt with each vested interest vying for space in the culture trying to be the squeakier wheel that gets the grease.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Can this thread be moved to CA so we can discuss wokism and have a mix of lighthearted wokisms and heavyhearted wokism. It just appears that this thread is being shadowed with the sole purpose of reporting everything to shut it down.

The mods have been on this thread a few times in a short period of time, which is obviously a pain in the arse for them, asking to keep the thread light-hearted. The whole aspect of "woke" has evolved to include a lot of societal issues that are becoming increasingly present in everything and are relevant under the "woke" title.

Can this thread be moved to CA so we can discuss wokism and have a mix of lighthearted wokisms and heavyhearted wokism. It just appears that this thread is being shadowed with the sole purpose of reporting everything to shut it down.

The mods have been on this thread a few times in a short period of time, which is obviously a pain in the arse for them, asking to keep the thread light-hearted. The whole aspect of "woke" has evolved to include a lot of societal issues that are becoming increasingly present in everything and are relevant under the "woke" title.
    The whole woke culture is beyond a joke these days, it is very difficult to have a light hearted discussion when wokeism is in fact destroying so many people's lives and rewriting history.
    It is so difficult to remain light hearted when so much damage is being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Commentary on moderation can be done via help desk / feedback / PM with the Mods.

In the meantime, keep it lighthearted, or don't post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I see no harm in having a more serious Woke discussion thread in CA, but I'm here for the lolz, not the heavy debate. Create another thread, but leave this one be.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,737 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE again last night, the Ireland game, they no longer give out a Man Of The Match award in mens football, they now give out a Player Of The Match award...eh it's mens football, what fooking absolute bloody idiot decided this?

89 minutes in to match
    https://www.rte.ie/player/series/european-qualifiers-world-cup-2022/SI0000008329?epguid=IH000402311

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Oxford university have decided to shake up "colonialist " music notation as reported in today's indo.

Less focus on white European culture. They are considering changing undergraduate courses after some staff questioned the curriculums "complicity in white supremacy "
    Professors stated that the classical repertoire taught at Oxford which includes work by Mozart and Beethoven, focuses too much on "white European music from the slave period "

Without copy pasting the rest of of the woke story I'll add that "compulsory learning of keyboards or conducting orchestras should no longer be compulsory because the repertoire structurally focuses on white European music which causes great distress to students of colour.
    Hipp hop and Jazz are on the curriculum.
    The article also feels the need to add that " the vast bulk of tutors are white men"

To summarise:

At Oxford university Mozart and Beethoven are out. Snoop dogg , Jay z are in

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RTE again last night, the Ireland game, they no longer give out a Man Of The Match award in mens football, they now give out a Player Of The Match award...eh it's mens football, what fooking absolute bloody idiot decided this?

89 minutes in to match
    https://www.rte.ie/player/series/european-qualifiers-world-cup-2022/SI0000008329?epguid=IH000402311

Well you never know, one of the players might identify as something else and then if they won the Man Of The Match Award they would be offended. I mean it’s entirely plausible this would happen in the hyper competitive world of men’s international football. :rolleyes:

Fwiw, they do it for rugby now too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Cordell

Are you trying to say that bongo music in in any way inferior to classical music?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Cordell wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that bongo music in in any way inferior to classical music?

No, but now bongo music is more importanter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Cordell wrote: »

Bongo is life.
    Mozart is white supremacy.
    Apparently

Oxford university have decided to shake up "colonialist " music notation as reported in today's indo.

Less focus on white European culture. They are considering changing undergraduate courses after some staff questioned the curriculums "complicity in white supremacy "
    Professors stated that the classical repertoire taught at Oxford which includes work by Mozart and Beethoven, focuses too much on "white European music from the slave period "

Without copy pasting the rest of of the woke story I'll add that "compulsory learning of keyboards or conducting orchestras should no longer be compulsory because the repertoire structurally focuses on white European music which causes great distress to students of colour.
    Hipp hop and Jazz are on the curriculum.
    The article also feels the need to add that " the vast bulk of tutors are white men"

To summarise:

At Oxford university Mozart and Beethoven are out. Snoop dogg , Jay z are in
    I really think they've got their mission completely wrong, classical music is more of a representation of the elite than anything else, only the elite could ever afford to attend the composer's concerts, so it was very much music for the aristocracy.

If they have this "woke" opinion about classical music, what is their opinion for the music that the "common people" played? The folk music that would play in the pubs, the village green etc. Those musicians were also 100% white.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,605 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Biden is at it again this week, calling for equal pay for women in soccer.

Its called the free market Joe.
    The pay male footballers get is directly related to how much revenue that male football produces.
    The better the male player the more he is worth.
    So if females want to be paid the same as males they will have to generate the same income that male players do.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1375809947754233857

Bongo is life.
    Mozart is white supremacy.
    Apparently

This whole scenario brought this clip to mind..

Biden is at it again this week, calling for equal pay for women in soccer.

https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1375809947754233857

careful now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Fake Scores

Good article from Newyorker.com about grating therapy language

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Good article from Newyorker.com about grating therapy language

1.jpg

There certainly is something grating about the emotional diarrhoea of the internet in general. This never-ending projection of how people want to be seen, versus the reality that most of these nutters are just lost souls and have nothing to do with their lives.

That's "wokism". A minority of people screaming about something in order to find meaning in their lives. It's as hollow as all fook, of course, they surely realise it on some near-subconcious level and it's ultimately unsatisfying. That's why it's so antagonistic, so would you be if you were performing a show that most people hate, and you also hate because it's valueless.

The only "value" of these performances is that it stirs controversy, and controversy equals attention. The mistake is assuming attention equals a positive value.

I've about had it up to my eyeballs with exposure to the internet in general. Stuck inside with little options it's only natural, but i imagine there are many who will be glad to have minimal intereaction with the internet when this shyt is all said and done. Refreshing!

So perhaps it'll be like one of the world's of HG Wells, there'll be a split between the people who are happy to kiss the internet saturation goodnight, and a group that will stay and look and feel increasingly insane to themselves and others. Good.

The eloi and the morlocks :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Well you never know, one of the players might identify as something else and then if they won the Man Of The Match Award they would be offended. I mean it’s entirely plausible this would happen in the hyper competitive world of men’s international football. :rolleyes:

Fwiw, they do it for rugby now too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Did you not know that Jonny Sexton and tadgh furlough identify as non- binary. There seems to be a push to remove the words man/woman by a minisule section of society. How they manage to do it is beyond me .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement