Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Well you never know, one of the players might identify as something else and then if they won the Man Of The Match Award they would be offended. I mean it’s entirely plausible this would happen in the hyper competitive world of men’s international football. :rolleyes:

Fwiw, they do it for rugby now too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not sure why the rolleyes.

Does football and rugby not have huge issues with racism and certainly homophobia.

Maybe some of those professionals are more comfortable with the term player of the match?

Cordell wrote: »
    Are you trying to say that bongo music in in any way inferior to classical music?

Why are you calling it "bongo music"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It looks like they've gone after spongebob now. Arbour hill must be full of inmates who watched SpongeBob and turned into sexual deviants cause of it

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1375591147515604996?s=20

The scene that may have led to the episode's removal could be the scene where Patrick suggests a "panty raid," which leads to SpongeBob, Patrick, and Mr. Krabs breaking into a woman's house to steal her underwear. It turns out the house they broke into was Mr. Krabs' mom's house. The mom catches the three in the act and sends Mr. Krabs to his childhood room for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

anewme wrote: »

Does football and rugby not have huge issues with racism and certainly homophobia.

Maybe some of those professionals are more comfortable with the term player of the match?

Regardless of a persons sexual preference or race, those playing mens rugby are indeed men.

Doesnt really bother me either way to be honest. It's such a small thing.

I'm sure changing MOTM to player of the match will eradicate racism and homophobia in sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

What has racism or homophobia have to do with being called a man?

Why would a man prefer to be called a person?

Edit : okay I will start a thread about it elsewhere.
    Sorry not to be light hearted.

What has racism or homophobia have to do with being called a man?

Why would a man prefer to be called a person?

They don't , it's just Wokeness creeping into every part of society .

They don't , it's just Wokeness creeping into every part of society .

It doesn't even make logical sense anymore. It's so wrapped up in itself it's lost it's way.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Maybe they are, but I can tell you with complete confidence that the players themselves weren’t asked whether they would prefer this “label” or not, it was forced upon them. How do I know this? Because I asked (I know a few of the current rugby internationals).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

' Maybe some of those professionals are more comfortable with the term player of the match? '

Maybe they have a group hug in the dressing room and check in on each others mental health, and say a few prayers to the God of fairness and nice fluffy feelings..

Probably not though.

Maybe they are, but I can tell you with complete confidence that the players themselves weren’t asked whether they would prefer this “label” or not, it was forced upon them. How do I know this? Because I asked (I know a few of the current rugby internationals).

Don't forget that these are the same type people who want pregnant women to be refered to as " birthing people " incase it offends 0.01% of the population.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-56007728

An NHS trust is to use "gender inclusive language" for its maternity services, including terms such as "chestfeeding" and "birthing parent".

Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals Trust is thought to be first in the UK to adopt the language in its internal communications and meetings.

The trust said it recognised "challenges" gender identity can have on pregnancy, birth and feeding.

But a campaigner said it was "trying to control the language of others".

I'm sure changing MOTM to player of the match will eradicate racism and homophobia in sport

Theres a long way to go to eradicate racism and homophobia and can only be done one step at a time. For the next generation, player of the match will be the term they remember.

As another poster said, it's not something that would worry me either, hardly worth whinging about in the first instance.

Bit petty to bring it up.

Theres a long way to go to eradicate racism and homophobia and can only be done one step at a time. For the next generation, player of the match will be the term they remember.

As another poster said, it's not something that would worry me either, hardly worth whinging about in the first instance.

How does removing the word man contribute to addressing homophobia or racism?

I know players myself (more soccer than rugby) and they could not give a fiddlers about this type of nonsense.

Ironically, the people whinging here about it need not worry about it impacting them whatsoever.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Maybe they have a group hug in the dressing room and check in on each others mental health, and say a few prayers to the God of fairness and nice fluffy feelings..

Probably not though.

Well actually, there is a focus on mental health of professional players way more now than in the past.

There have been some very high profile players speaking out about it.

Might not suit your narrative though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,872 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

My only problem around all that is, that they went from Man of the Match to Person of the Match instead of Player of the match.

Player of the match just rolls off the tongue much easier in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Well actually, there is a focus on mental health of professional players way more now than in the past.

There have been some very high profile players speaking out about it.

Might not suit your narrative though.

Speaking out about ' mental health issues ' is as much about good PR as anything. Its a right of passage for anyone in Sports/ Entertainment, who wants to maintain a career in the public eye. It makes them more relatable.

Privately, its a case of Harden The F**k Up and get on with it. Which, of course, is why they are successful.

That's not a narrative - its reality. Wokies don't like reality. It upsets them a lot.

As regards to rugby, I played it when I was younger and it's not rife with racism or homophobia. It's probably the most inclusive sport there is. Whether your tall, small , fat, skinny , slow or fast there's a position on the pitch to play . So stop with your nonsense about rugby being racist and homophobic

As regards to your petty comment , the whole woke movement is extremely petty . Offended by this , change that , cancel that , ban this etc. Things that don't bother 99.9% of people so let's pander to idealistic idiots in case a handful of snowflakes get upset. It's just one thing after another . In twenty years time the words man/ woman will be like the N word.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Speaking out about ' mental health issues ' is as much about good PR as anything. Its a right of passage for anyone in Sports/ Entertainment, who wants to maintain a career in the public eye. It makes them more relatable.

Privately, its a case of Harden The F**k Up and get on with it. Which, of course, is why they are successful.

That's not a narrative - its reality. Wokies don't like reality. It upsets them a lot.

No, its your reality.

The term wokies is just a way of trying to shut down other peoples opinions that dont suit.

Most people are normal and could not give a crap about any of this. The ones having a meltdown are the ones who dont want progress.

The only upset people are those bleating on about the world changing and them getting left in the past like fossils.

Boo hoo, no more man of the match, from people who were never going to win man of the match, player of the match, person of the match, or anything of the match,

• Advertisement

As regards to rugby, I played it when I was younger and it's not rife with racism or homophobia. It's probably the most inclusive sport there is. Whether your tall, small , fat, skinny , slow or fast there's a position on the pitch to play . So stop with your nonsense about rugby being racist and homophobic

Would you ever stop!

https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/homophobia-rugby-union-survey-harlequins-pride-lgbtq-fixure-london-irish-397907

As regards to your petty comment , the whole woke movement is extremely petty . Offended by this , change that , cancel that , ban this etc. Things that don't bother 99.9% of people so let's pander to idealistic idiots in case a handful of snowflakes get upset. It's just one thing after another . In twenty years time the words man/ woman will be like the N word.

It's all gaslighting and refusing to accept reality.

When you stand up to it or point it out it's either oh its petty, a small thing or it doesn't effect you or why are you so bothered.

Anything to avoid the stupidity of the actual thing that you are discussing.

But that's exactly what you are doing. Getting upset over nothing.

Changing man of the match to player of the match (agree with other poster person of the match sounds strange) would not bother 99 percent of the population. Thats the way the world has gone, so what.? Why do you even care about something so trivial?

The ones who seem to have an issue with it are the ones upset by the world changing.

It's all gaslighting and refusing to accept reality.

When you stand up to it or point it out it's either oh its petty, a small thing or it doesn't effect you or why are you so bothered.

Anything to avoid the stupidity of the actual thing that you are discussing.

The stupidity is that anyone would get upset about it in the first instance.

The stupidity is that anyone would get upset about it in the first instance.

Absolutely nobody is upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭gw80

No, its your reality.

The term wokies is just a way of trying to shut down other peoples opinions that dont suit.

Most people are normal and could not give a crap about any of this. The ones having a meltdown are the ones who dont want progress.

The only upset people are those bleating on about the world changing and them getting left in the past like fossils.

Boo hoo, no more man of the match, from people who were never going to win man of the match, player of the match, person of the match, or anything of the match,
    In fairness, you call it progress but if you go back a few posts you will see that someone has banned certain episodes of sponge Bob because they deemed them offensive, if that is progress then what do you call Saudi Arabia banning sponge bob also?
    Are Saudi Arabia progressive now as well.

gw80 wrote: »
    In fairness, you call it progress but if you go back a few posts you will see that someone has banned certain episodes of sponge Bob because they deemed them offensive, if that is progress then what do you call Saudi Arabia banning sponge bob also?
    Are Saudi Arabia progressive now as well.

Ask someone who knows about sponge Bob or Saudi Arabia, or possibly both.

It sounds like lads taking the piss out of each other , shock horror .

Absolutely nobody is upset.

Then why raise it as an issue?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭gw80

Ask someone who knows about sponge Bob or Saudi Arabia, or possibly both.

Ok the point went over your head, fair enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement