Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,395 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

East Galway /Ros in the firing line?

Heavy rain and strong winds likely there from about 11 p.m. to daybreak. Orange or level two as you prefer. Expect about 35 mm rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭bazlers

Offaly. I know im escaping the worst but taking down hanging baskets and putting them to the most sheltered side of the house. Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Still rather calm in cork city,

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

limnam wrote: »
    Where's the video

Too big wont upload

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just a few drops here near Tralee, overcast.

Netweather

CxhPqkF.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Shannon Radar back up??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Nothing mad according to this

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Cheers Mr.C!
    Just in from my hatch battening, pissing rain slight breeze, North East Gallimh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

A lovely warm wind. Just like Ophelia

bazlers wrote: »
    Offaly. I know im escaping the worst but taking down hanging baskets and putting them to the most sheltered side of the house. Thanks for reply

Western half of that county might get offaly windy around midnight. (pun but no joke).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,202 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just a few drops here near Tralee, overcast.

Netweather

Pouring down in Corca Dhuibhne

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork Airport down to 980hpa.Was 983hpa at 8pm. Inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Yep, cloudy, misty and damp... lovely indeed.

Not in Lucan. Some clear patches in the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Wind starting to really pick up in Dungarvan. Some really strong gusts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,640 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Relatively calm in Cork City still

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Darwin

joeysoap wrote: »
    Nothing mad according to this

https://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/Cork

xcweather uses the GFS model, both GFS and Icon models are not that interested in this system for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Nothing here in Kildare so far.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭maebee

The flock of geese that flies over my house every night at 9pm flew home to roost just after 8pm this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lots of lightning off the west coast

Eye has come into radar view and appears to be headed a bit west of earlier speculation, landfall may be quite close to Kinsale and across Cork/Cobh after all ... does not change my thinking about severe impacts across east Cork and west Waterford however, looks to be about an hour and a half from making landfall now. Severe winds are around the south to southeast quadrants of the eye.

Looking on google earth I see only sparse coastal development from east of Roches' Point to Churchtown then some fairly large caravan park (?) type places around Garryvoe, that might get rather dangerous around 9-10 p.m.

For now would assume major wind impacts are possible in any part of Cork-Cobh region too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭lcasey90

Nothing here in Kildare so far.

Lockdown, nó entry premitted unless essential

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

bazlers wrote: »

Hanging baskets, I knew I forgot something. Will be amazed if my Sunflowers survive. Watching with interest in Galway, the prospect of Thunderstorms appeals to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

The wildlife is not having it easy with the amount of rain the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭bmc58

Not too bad here in Clonmel at the moment.Bit of rain and breezy.Fingers crossed the bad stuff might miss us.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Strange, quickly moving, grey wispy clouds over Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Got a more precise location? Basically across North Cork, east half may see the very strong winds (especially on higher south-facing terrain) and west half definitely a combination of strong winds and heavy rain. The further west you are the more likely it is that flooding will be your bigger risk factor so if you live in a spot prone to flooding, would take some precautions. The Cork to Limerick road should be approximately where wind would be more significant to east and rain to west. Some places near the track will get severe impacts from both.

Thanks MT. I'm near Mallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Eye has come into radar view and appears to be headed a bit west of earlier speculation, landfall may be quite close to Kinsale and across Cork/Cobh after all ... does not change my thinking about severe impacts across east Cork and west Waterford however, looks to be about an hour and a half from making landfall now. Severe winds are around the south to southeast quadrants of the eye.

Looking on google earth I see only sparse coastal development from east of Roches' Point to Churchtown then some fairly large caravan park (?) type places around Garryvoe, that might get rather dangerous around 9-10 p.m.

For now would assume major wind impacts are possible in any part of Cork-Cobh region too.

Thanks for the update. On the coast here right outside Kinsale. Wind is certainly picking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sky quite dramatic

A1826-D3-D-45-D7-41-CF-9-E90-9-FE8-D817-B531.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

What is your thinking about wind speeds/conditions in the west Cork area tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

There is a definite pick up in wind strength here. Each gust is getting louder. In ten minutes it went from relatively calm to a gale. Watching nervously. Hill over Ardmore

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement