Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Crazy how the whole system has changed shape, with the eye quickly forming from what was a slight bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Back from dinner! Rain started now in West Cork and quite heavy with a few gusts beginning to hit the house also. Looks like the west will be spared from the worst though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Eye has come into radar view and appears to be headed a bit west of earlier speculation, landfall may be quite close to Kinsale and across Cork/Cobh after all ... does not change my thinking about severe impacts across east Cork and west Waterford however, looks to be about an hour and a half from making landfall now. Severe winds are around the south to southeast quadrants of the eye.

Looking on google earth I see only sparse coastal development from east of Roches' Point to Churchtown then some fairly large caravan park (?) type places around Garryvoe, that might get rather dangerous around 9-10 p.m.

For now would assume major wind impacts are possible in any part of Cork-Cobh region too.

M.T. .. is it right to say S/SE quadrants of the eye will be wind event and N/W would be a considerable rain event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

bmc58 wrote: »
    Not too bad here in Clonmel at the moment.Bit of rain and breezy.Fingers crossed the bad stuff might miss us.
    Clonmel is very low and well sheltered in the town itself. Doesn't look like lasting too long at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭bmc58

pad199207 wrote: »
    Sky quite dramatic

A1826-D3-D-45-D7-41-CF-9-E90-9-FE8-D817-B531.jpg

Looks ominous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Fairly calm here in east Cork. Breeze is picking up but no rain. Very eerie feeling in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

east cork, wind significantly picked up now. sustained strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

East of Cork City getting breezy now trees getting a good shaking, no rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Another East Cork poster checking in, let's see what this brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

Big change in macroom in the last 10min winds SE picking up quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭bmc58

hawkwing wrote: »
    Clonmel is very low and well sheltered in the town itself. Doesn't look like lasting too long at least...

We get it bad here too at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭United road

Eye has come into radar view and appears to be headed a bit west of earlier speculation, landfall may be quite close to Kinsale and across Cork/Cobh after all ... does not change my thinking about severe impacts across east Cork and west Waterford however, looks to be about an hour and a half from making landfall now. Severe winds are around the south to southeast quadrants of the eye.

Looking on google earth I see only sparse coastal development from east of Roches' Point to Churchtown then some fairly large caravan park (?) type places around Garryvoe, that might get rather dangerous around 9-10 p.m.

For now would assume major wind impacts are possible in any part of Cork-Cobh region too.

I take my hat off to you!
    You go to incredible lengths to keep us informed and you sat on other side of the world.
    Thank you sir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Caravan parks in Garrettstown and Garylucas outside Kinsale.

Fingers crossed won’t be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Whats interesting is that the gusts seem to be hitting the other side of the house and the rain is falling from a NE direction, something I have rarely seen down here. Usually comes from the SW and right off the ocean. Just opened the window an d the gusts atm are just above what would usually be considered wintery type weather. Cant get exact wind measurements though, not equipment unfortunately. All the bushes and sand dunes that are around here are definitely being blown around anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Rain starting from easterly direction now on mid cork

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Claire6

All starting to kick off here now in Cork (lower harbour area)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Sitting on top of the highest hill in Cobh, facing south out the harbour, I am expecting a bit of a blow here.
    At the moment it’s pretty calm with a few small gusts and constant drizzle

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭minibear

If we don't have any forum members already in Dungarvan to Youghal especially near the coast there, perhaps somebody with a vehicle within 2 hours drive might like to do a live on the spot report as landfall seems most likely to be close to 9:30-10:00 p.m. on current developments.

Wherever the low crosses the coast, about 30 miles east of there would be the maximum wind and storm surge impact zone. I would imagine there's some seaside caravan parks in that general area, those should probably be toured by local police and visitors warned to take shelter (perhaps this is already happening).

If we do have current thread readers in that impact zone, could you let us know where you are situated and give us hourly or more frequent updates starting around 8 p.m. TIA.

The wind has picked up a bit now and for the first time today the fog has more or less disappeared. There was a strange stillness from around 6pm to 7.30. I'm mid county, a few miles from the coast and 30 metres ASL.

Have everything that can be charged all ready just in case, outdoor furniture made safe, camping gas cooker located, candles and matches located. Vehicles parked as far from danger as possible (out of falling trees reach!) We have some big trees close to the house so I'm a bit apprehensive of the evening to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

Kicking off the opening salvos in cork city now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

WV Imagery would indicate sting-jet type feature now forming off south coast.

Kinsale Platform readings should give us some indication.

Take care

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Best of luck Cork folk. Don't mind what the rest of them say about ye. Ye are an sound bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Wind is visibly picking up here now in Rochestown

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Caravan parks in Garrettstown and Garylucas outside Kinsale.

Fingers crossed won’t be too bad.

90yr old man decided to hunker down in his mobile home at garrettsown house on the news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Wind has picked up last few minutes in north cork from virtual calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭hawkwing

bmc58 wrote: »
    We get it bad here too at times.
    Picking up here now,12miles from Clonmel, 150m

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

Near Kinsale, not too far from the coast.

Had some heavy showers in the last hour but only now the wind is picking up and we can hear it while inside the house.

Think I have everything outside taken care of and tied up. Normally I’d be after taking the trampoline apart and stored away by the time the storms start. Not this time, I’ve only tied it down but the garden is like a bog so hopefully the pegs hold.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Gerianam

Best wishes dear Cork people. Stay safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

aisling86 wrote: »
    90yr old man decided to hunker down in his mobile home at garrettsown house on the news!

Most of them survived Ophelia so fingers crossed he will be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Denny61

Words and terminology you can’t understand does not equal “convoluted chatter”.

Id say your great crack at a party ..isobars this and high-pressure that lol 😆

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement