Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Denny61 wrote: »
    Id say your great crack at a party ..isobars this and high-pressure that lol 😆

How was the sunset walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Cobh here. Ominous feel to the place tonight. Hatches battened down as best as possible. Will be going to bed at the normal time storm or no storm. Have to be up at 6am for work in Cork.... if there is a road not covered in trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Dunmore East

Big drops of rain falling and wind starting to pick up. Nothing dramatic yet though. I see MTC says landfall in Cork in about 90 minutes so, we probably won't see much here until around 11pm - midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Not that extraordinary, these lengths, as you get about six active days of weather a year and I get about two myself, so I need to increase that by casting my net wider. :)

Generally various comments about rain west, wind east of track are correct but assume the rain will be wind-blown by fairly strong gusts too. The very strong wind zone will be generally clear of rainfall but further inland and east, a combination of moderately strong wind and rain is possible.

Remember that in these tropical storm hybrids, minor tornadic wind streaks running SSE-NNW are possible. That may impact somebody somewhere or it may happen out of sight and be recognized after the fact tomorrow from a path of downed trees somewhere in south central counties. Watch for any small intense cells on radar later with that sort of motion (would say Waterford, eastern Tipps, Kilkenny, Offaly, south/west Laois possibly)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Id say your great crack at a party ..isobars this and high-pressure that lol 😆

You're doing yourself no favours at all here. Ignorance may well be blissful but it's certainly not endearing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

It's nice to be talking about a storm rather than the incessant Covid stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

9pm Update .. 190m ASL NW Cork

16.8 DegC - 982.9 mpa - Winds steadily increased

• Registered Users Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Not my website, but we can all dogpile onto http://www.corkharbourweather.ie/ (Click Current Weather) to see latest updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

On rte news right now

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wind has picked up a good bit now in Ballincollig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork Airport now 978hpa and gusting 34 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Cork airport 9pm 22kts gusting to 34kts, it's picking up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭Wild Field 1831

Id say your great crack at a party ..isobars this and high-pressure that lol ��

If you think isobars and high pressure are convoluted meteorological speak, it's not something i would admit to, most 10 year olds understand these basic terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Getting nasty in Ballinlough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

RTE reporter "wind speeds of 98knots???? Ramp ramp ramp

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Typical RTÉ decided to plonk themselves in front of the Port of Cork sign with the missing O - at least it wasn’t the R missing :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Bang on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Heavy rain but light winds in Bantry at the moment

Siobhan Ryan's gone blonde:eek: Red Alert!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Looks like Met Éireann have called the track of this spot on further to MT’s last update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭Odelay

Fair play to met. They said 21;00 and at 21:03 significant wind. It is starting with gusts now. Tree branches bending, air vent in the house rattling. Wonder how far this will go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Siobhan in full flight on RTÉ at mo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

RTE 9 o'clock News ridiculously hyping it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

'Orange Impacts in Yellow Zones'. Christ. Make up your minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

'Orange Impacts in Yellow Zones'. Christ. Make up your minds.

Exactly , why not issue orange warning then...

Siobhan and Sharon are a site for sore eyes;)

And as a previous poster said not talking Covid is refreshing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I'm in the Burren, I know we might not get hit much here, hopefully not, with strong easterlies the sail's I cut into tree's with are usually to absorb the impact of wind's from the west.
    So anytime we get a storm in Clare it usually won't knock the tree's down that had work on them.

If this has a big impact in Cork the tree surgeon's will be busy...

It's quite dark and no wind yet in Clare maybe 1am ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 EastCork2018

FFS... A Powercut here already between Ballycotton and Cloyne, East Cork area. Its wild out there now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement