Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

limnam wrote: »
    Working fine here

None work for me

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

An Ri rua wrote: »
    They're dead too it seems :(

Loads for me. Shows carparks at Hook Head lighthouse with 5-6 campervans (and some cars) in carparks. Behind them in the grassy compound the picnic benches are all turned upside down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Looks like a few of the cars are leaving

So Wexford and Waterford are currently on a yellow warning but may be experiencing red conditions within 3 hours?
    Shouldn't they have been upgraded to orange before now at least as a precaution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

spookwoman wrote: »

At least they'll be blown away from the sea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭loveall

Wouldn't like to be on the WB Yeats to Cherbourg right now.....can't help but think in non C19 times they wouldn't have sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

hurikane wrote: »
    You reckon we’ll need a tribunal?

Naw, I'm sure their own internal performance management systems will ensure that any incompetence is corrected and that future of weather forecasting in Ireland will be all the better for it .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

downwesht wrote: »
    pressure 965mb in Skibbereen!falling slowly!!!!

If that's accurate this is worse than predicted by around 20mb - the models show ~ 975mb at the centre right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

So Wexford and Waterford are currently on a yellow warning but may be experiencing red conditions within 3 hours?
    Shouldn't they have been upgraded to orange before now at least as a precaution?

Waterford is orange status

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Different perspectives here https://hookheritage.ie/live-webcams/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Waterford currently on orange warning. Would have expected orange for Wexfod too.

Wouldn't be surprised to see warnings revised/updated in the next half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Waterford currently on orange warning. Would have expected orange for Wexfod too.

Wouldn't be surprised to see warnings revised/updated in the next half hour.

Would be very surprised if Waterford doesn't go Red and Wexford orange. They don't seem to be in a rush to update anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

sdanseo wrote: »
    If that's accurate this is worse than predicted by around 20mb - the models show ~ 975mb at the centre right now!
    It's 985mb in Cork airport at 7pm, i'd doubt that 965 is accurate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Latest ECM 12Z showing potential for thunderstorms in the SW tonight and tomorrow sporadic storms across the country. Big squally showers.

uqJGRw3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

sorry 985mb typo............

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭DIF

If we don't have any forum members already in Dungarvan to Youghal especially near the coast there, perhaps somebody with a vehicle within 2 hours drive might like to do a live on the spot report as landfall seems most likely to be close to 9:30-10:00 p.m. on current developments.

Wherever the low crosses the coast, about 30 miles east of there would be the maximum wind and storm surge impact zone. I would imagine there's some seaside caravan parks in that general area, those should probably be toured by local police and visitors warned to take shelter (perhaps this is already happening).

If we do have current thread readers in that impact zone, could you let us know where you are situated and give us hourly or more frequent updates starting around 8 p.m. TIA.

Situated 25km inland between Midleton & Youghal at 90 mt. Pressure dropped from 988mb to 982mb in past hour, very quiet, no wind, no birds about. Ophelia took a few roof tiles and shed roof off; like fellow Boarder Caeser am thinking it maybe a long night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

If we don't have any forum members already in Dungarvan to Youghal especially near the coast there, perhaps somebody with a vehicle within 2 hours drive might like to do a live on the spot report as landfall seems most likely to be close to 9:30-10:00 p.m. on current developments.

Wherever the low crosses the coast, about 30 miles east of there would be the maximum wind and storm surge impact zone. I would imagine there's some seaside caravan parks in that general area, those should probably be toured by local police and visitors warned to take shelter (perhaps this is already happening).

If we do have current thread readers in that impact zone, could you let us know where you are situated and give us hourly or more frequent updates starting around 8 p.m. TIA.

Little breezy here at the minute and rain getting heavier than the drizzle we had for last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

This is kinda hilarious
    This is the webcam set up in the fields above my housing estate in Wicklow town
    You can't see anything but mist
    https://www.wicklowcam.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Too damn warm to have to close the windows

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Must say I'm puzzled why the ARPEGE ia so far E, AROME has stepped back in a bit further W but not nearly as strong as the other models. EURO 4 eventually on board, HIRLAM -FMI verylike ECM , UKMO and HARMONIE now.

For the record , can review after.

euro4_uk1-52-20-0_lgn2.png

aromehd-52-20-0_zcv4.png

arpegeuk-52-20-0_aaq1.png

fmiuk-52-20-0_pxl6.png

iconeu_uk1-52-17-0_gsc1.png

nmmuk-52-20-0_uwc1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

18.1 DegC, 986.8 hpa (991.7hpa 2.5 hours ago) slight breeze starting now in North West Cork @ 190m ASL.

Will be interesting to see how tonight pans out, we should escape the worse on latest models. Rain might be our problem over next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up to date with the incoming storm. Would I need to tie up the picnic table (in West Mayo, picnic table is quite heavy)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Baybay

gnarbarian wrote: »
    This is kinda hilarious
    This is the webcam set up in the fields above my housing estate in Wicklow town
    You can't see anything but mist
    https://www.wicklowcam.com/

Love that webcam! Amazing views usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Seas starting to pick now at tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Starting to get windy now just outside cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭gnarbarian

Baybay wrote: »
    Love that webcam! Amazing views usually.
    Yeah it's a gorgeous view looking down onto the town and up the murrough..
    Just a shame you can't see anything at all at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

All quiet in Cork
    While it could be severe it could be a very short 2 hour event

• Registered Users Posts: 10,093 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork Airport down to 983hpa @ 8pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

I take it Met are sticking with their current warnings, bit bizzare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement