Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I take it Met are sticking with their current warnings, bit bizzare.

Word has it they only care about cork people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,929 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sorry I haven't been able to keep up to date with the incoming storm. Would I need to tie up the picnic table (in West Mayo, picnic table is quite heavy)?

Maybe try flip it over if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

If we don't have any forum members already in Dungarvan to Youghal especially near the coast there, perhaps somebody with a vehicle within 2 hours drive might like to do a live on the spot report as landfall seems most likely to be close to 9:30-10:00 p.m. on current developments.

Wherever the low crosses the coast, about 30 miles east of there would be the maximum wind and storm surge impact zone. I would imagine there's some seaside caravan parks in that general area, those should probably be toured by local police and visitors warned to take shelter (perhaps this is already happening).

If we do have current thread readers in that impact zone, could you let us know where you are situated and give us hourly or more frequent updates starting around 8 p.m. TIA.

`
    I should be in Dungarvan. But I'm at work in Clonmel until 1:30am so I'll be driving through Ellen tonight. I did just request to go home but as Waterford isn't currently on a status red I've been told I have to stay. There will be hundreds of factory workers in Clonmel heading out ito this at 1am... not so wise I reckon..
    Is Waterford likely to go red?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Any North Cork predictions lads??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Unless they know something we don't (possible) then it's a bit strange for sure. Multiple sources including one they trust well say up to 30km/h overthe red warning boundary, and in a wide area too.

They're damned either way of course, because the last few red warnings have been damp squibs or barely scraped the required speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Down to 978mb. Looks to be a drop of 20mb in 7 hours

A9-DA5-CB2-495-D-4-FF9-ABA9-1-F143-C5-AFC43.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

sdanseo wrote: »
    Unless they know something we don't (possible) then it's a bit strange for sure. Multiple sources including one they trust well say >30km/h OVER the red warning boundary, and in a wide area too.

They're damned either way of course, because the last few red warnings have been damp squibs or barely scraped the required speeds.

Wait a minute, are you saying that there is an upgrade in wind speeds?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Burts Bee wrote: »

Unless latest models change it will be windy with dangerous gusts but most of north Cork will be outside red territory. It could well be rain that will be our issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

980.8 hPa Falling Rapidly here near Tralee, 18.2mm, very light E'ly

Overcast

That streak of cloud forming and pivoting is what I would imagine will be pointing into Cork / Waterford when it makes landfall. Big line of convection W of the strongest winds.

pression2_uk_viw0.png

A9MLbM4.gif

Nf1z6ef.gif

BPOkPuY.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

here's a nice webcam in the isles of scilly. that front is just hitting them now.

https://www.tresco.co.uk/webcams

• Advertisement

irishfeen wrote: »
    Unless latest models change it will be windy with dangerous gusts but most of north Cork will be outside red territory. It could well be rain that will be our issue.

Yeah rain more than wind probably the danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭thomil

979.6mb at my weather station in Ballincollig just west of Cork City at the moment. Light rain and light winds, but fast moving clouds.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Would seem so. Unless their thinking is that upgrades in time for the 9 o clock news is time enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

Rain starting to come down in Dunmore East. Not much wind happening just yet.

Would seem so. Unless their thinking is that upgrades in time for the 9 o clock news is time enough.

Have no idea why Waterford not in the red warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rain starting in Cork City

Yeah rain more than wind probably the danger.

Trees down could be a massive issue, ground is already saturated and trees are in full bloom.

The council workers are locked down since 8pm and won’t be out until at least 12 tonight for emergency call outs. Travel in the morning could be almost impossible in parts of the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Have no idea why Waterford not in the red warning.
    Yes it should have been

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

East Galway /Ros in the firing line?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,641 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just from cork city the clouds to the east so towards east cork have gotten noticeably darker in the last half and hour and it's started to rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭bazlers

Sorry guys if already stated but im in the midlands and wondering what direction will the strongest winds come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Burts Bee wrote: »

Got a more precise location? Basically across North Cork, east half may see the very strong winds (especially on higher south-facing terrain) and west half definitely a combination of strong winds and heavy rain. The further west you are the more likely it is that flooding will be your bigger risk factor so if you live in a spot prone to flooding, would take some precautions. The Cork to Limerick road should be approximately where wind would be more significant to east and rain to west. Some places near the track will get severe impacts from both.

Denny61 wrote: »
    This is farcical..personally I think cork and other coastal areas will have some gusts for about an hour or 3 and rest of country will be just windy..it will just loose its intensity .the amount of panic going on about this so called unusual event jst brought on by the usual weather anaroks.quoting all fancy figures and convoluted chatter ..mark my words ...all a thing about nothing..

There’s a sunset walk at 8 30pm. You might just make it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

One thing I would say.
    Talk of any event being worse than Ophelia is inaccurate.
    Ophelia was a full blown hurricane which looked awesome on satellite. We are struggling to find this on sat

• Registered Users Posts: 14,372 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

bazlers wrote: »
    Sorry guys if already stated but im in the midlands and wondering what direction will the strongest winds come from?

Southeast veering gradually to south and southwest. What county are you in?

One thing I would say.
    Talk of any event being worse than Ophelia is inaccurate.
    Ophelia was a full blown hurricane which looked awesome on satellite. We are struggling to find this on sat

Darwin was the worst that I ever saw in north cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭OhToBeByTheSea

This is farcical..personally I think cork and other coastal areas will have some gusts for about an hour or 3 and rest of country will be just windy..it will just loose its intensity .the amount of panic going on about this so called unusual event jst brought on by the usual weather anaroks.quoting all fancy figures and convoluted chatter ..mark my words ...all a thing about nothing..

Okay.

Got a more precise location? Basically across North Cork, east half may see the very strong winds (especially on higher south-facing terrain) and west half definitely a combination of strong winds and heavy rain. The further west you are the more likely it is that flooding will be your bigger risk factor so if you live in a spot prone to flooding, would take some precautions. The Cork to Limerick road should be approximately where wind would be more significant to east and rain to west. Some places near the track will get severe impacts from both.

Higher parts of NW Cork such as Bweeng, Donnaghmore, Rockchapel, Meelin etc could be in for a rough ride tonight too. As you say the rainfall could be biggest issue though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Words and terminology you can’t understand does not equal “convoluted chatter”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

aisling86 wrote: »
    Video from my parents friend who lives at Weavers Point Crosshaven at the entrance to cork harbour. Current conditions.

Where's the video

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement