Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A festival was given the go ahead in Croke Park on 31st July, 200 people were in atte

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Strumms wrote: »
    Seen the Stones there myself, all be it, NOT during covid, NOT during the most serious health pandemic that ever hit the country and planet.

Which is why I’m guessing there was a good few more than 200 people there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Don2012 wrote: »
    Catholicism is ridiculed and despised by the MSM and politicians.
    It's ok to say whatever though because it's Catholicism, every other religion it is wrong and disrespectful.

Maybe if the Church didn't try to impose a cultural hegemon on the country resulting in pious laws, the burying of the abuse of children and women being sent to forced labour workhouses it wouldn't have such bad press.

That actually happened here instead of your fever dreams about an Irish caliphate that will never come to pass.

If you have your faith, good for you. More power to you. I promise I wont picket your place of worship.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

It's "right on" to criticise the Catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

1. How am I being bigoted in anything that I've posted?
    2. Who said that Irish people couldn't have a Christian celebration in their country? (A link to the news article please)
    3. I'm sticking up for "them"? Who is "them"? Do you mean Muslims? Does it make you feel ill to say that word?

Face it, because it's quite evident - you started this thread out of pure religious intolerance and nothing else.

I have no problem mentioning Muslims. Just like I have no problem telling you that you can embrace Islam for all I care, you don't understand the importance of Croke park to some Irish people, the fact you don't get my point and never will is fine. Just carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Seen the Stones there myself, all be it, NOT during covid, NOT during the most serious health pandemic that ever hit the country and planet.

It's a minor pandemic in historical terms. And probably not as serious as the next one.

• Advertisement

I have no problem mentioning Muslims. Just like I have no problem telling you that you can embrace Islam for all I care, you don't understand the importance of Croke park to some Irish people, the fact you don't get my point and never will is fine. Just carry on.

Spare us. We've heard it all already.

It's a big hulking cookie-cutter sports stadium that you can find anywhere around Europe or North America (and not exactly an architectural marvel).

And I'm going to tell you something that will break your heart: Hill-16 isn't actually built with rubble from the GPO during the 1916 rising(and it's doubtful it ever was). It's been reconstructed several times and is made with modern precast concrete.

Someone get Don the smelling salts, he's feeling faint.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

All the corporate boxes, conferences, private entities on the advertising hoard.

The memory of what croke is has been pissed on by the gaa for profit and gain for sometime now.

People don't care about any of these other literally hundreds non gaa/non cultural events that take place every year.

Contrarians and in some cases xenophobes just want to moan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

How come you only got outraged about this today? It was a week ago.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Spare us. We've heard it all already.

It's a big hulking cookie-cutter sports stadium that you can find anywhere around Europe or North America (and not exactly an architectural marvel).

And I'm going to tell you something that will break your heart: Hill-16 isn't actually built with rubble from the GPO during the 1916 rising(and it's doubtful it ever was). It's been reconstructed several times and is made with modern precast concrete.

Someone get Don the smelling salts, he's feeling faint.

Who is "we've" and "us" are you speaking for yourself? Or a group of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

how many people were on the pitch at the stones concert?

How many people were there for EID?

• Advertisement

Chosen deliberately to annoy Irish people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Weepsie wrote: »
    All the corporate boxes, conferences, private entities on the advertising hoard.

The memory of what croke is has been pissed on by the gaa for profit and gain for sometime now.

People don't care about any of these other literally hundreds non gaa/non cultural events that take place every year

It would almost make you think some people are using it to try and stir up a bit of foreigner bashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Is it not obvious? We and Us, as in those who have waded through 200 posts of a thread bordering on sectarianism and xenophobia. That probably constitutes a group of people.

We as in the people reading this thread. It's not our first rodeo with someone who has tried to convince the denizens of boards that Croke Park is some sort of sacred site and repository of the sacred flame of Irishness, instead of a generic sports venue where something bad happened in the mists of time, which is what it is.

This is however, to my knowledge, the first time the holiness of Croke Park has been used as a pretext to have a go at a religious minority. So, good for you on that front I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

What exactly am I???????????

I meant original post as opposed to poster

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So you disagree with my assertion that this thread is based on pure old fashioned religious intolerance?
    I presume that you're not even a member of the GAA despite your faux defensiveness over an event being held in Croker (which followed all of the applicable rules in terms of Covid-19)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

Bottom line is that the GAA should be a secular organisation. Keep going down this route and we'll be having public floggings in Semple Stadium and homosexuals thrown off the top of Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

JaCrispy wrote: »
    Bottom line is that the GAA should be a secular organisation. Keep going down this route and we'll be having public floggings in Semple Stadium and homosexuals thrown off the top of Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

More emotive bullshìte posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,676 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JaCrispy wrote: »

I heard from a friend I rang up in the GAA if just 5 additional muslims had been there the very gates of hell themselves would have flung open right there on center field, Beelzebub was going to come forth and force everyone to wear a mask up their bumholes and all the meat in Dublin would be replaced with hummus. I think we both understand where that route you're talking about ultimately leads! Not good!

Yurt! wrote: »
    We as in the people reading this thread. It's not our first rodeo with someone who has tried to convince the denizens of boards that Croke Park is some sort of sacred site and repository of the sacred flame of Irishness, instead of a generic sports venue where something bad happened in the mists of time, which is what it is.

This is however, to my knowledge, the first time the holiness of Croke Park has been used as a pretext to have a go at a religious minority. So, good for you on that front I suppose.

I'm not having a go at anyone. My point is Croke Park was not the place for the festival. "a religious minority" spoken like a true leftist which embraces all that comes with your "new inclusive and diverse Ireland".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,676 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm not having a go at anyone. My point is Croke Park was not the place for the festival. "a religious minority" spoken like a true leftist which embraces all that comes with your "new inclusive and diverse Ireland".

Could've fooled me.

Now that it is over and done with, it has turned out to be a great success in cementing good relations amongst the different faiths. And enhancing the GAA's reputation as a modern progressive and inclusive organisation.

Name one thing bad that has come from this festival taking place, just one thing

Name one thing bad that has come from this festival taking place, just one thing

This thread.

Other than that, it's all gravy.

I hear GO'D even got wound up by it, that's just icing on the cake. :pac:

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,279 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

My point is Croke Park was not the place for the festival.

OK, so what are your views on when Croke Park was used for the Eucharistic Congress in 2012 or the World Meeting of Families in 2018? Was Croke Park the place for them? And if so, what differentiates them from the Eid Festival?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

How come you only got outraged about this today? It was a week ago.

And all over the national news, it wasn't just Croker it was GAA clubs across the country, our local had a few in as well, great to see. They interviewed some Muslim for Rte in Croker, pure GAA head

• Registered Users Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

biko wrote: »
    They will be playing cricket next.

MUSLIMS playing cricket!!

John_Rambo wrote: »

Oh just imagine the outrage :D

John_Rambo wrote: »

Pakistan has one of the best teams in the World:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

200 people (was originally 500) attended the EID festival in Croke Park on 31st July. An historical building that is deep in Irish history (100th anniversary of Bloody Sunday this year).
    The GAA are supposed to be about promoting Irish culture, heritage and identity.
    Croker was always a sacred place to many Irish people. It's odd that STILL only 50 people are allowed attend any other gathering.
    Why Croke Park? Why not Phoenix Park? Aviva? Chosen deliberately to annoy Irish people.

200 people can be in attendance at a GAA game but by the time you take into account both team squads, management, the referees, stewards and camera crew, unfortunately it only leaves space for a tiny handful of actual attendees.

Also, all you have tried to do is wrap up your racism in the guise of a concern about a public gathering. If the Irish government gave the go ahead for Croke Park to be packed to the rafters tomorrow for a GAA match you would have no concern whatsoever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement