Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A festival was given the go ahead in Croke Park on 31st July, 200 people were in atte

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

As much as I like sheikh Umar as a person I wanted to scream at each and every attendee to this when it came to my attention

Pure and utter selfishness and attention seeking

These are NOT normal times and that event should NOT have gone ahead until this damn virus is under some semblance of control

These are NOT normal times and that event should NOT have gone ahead until this damn virus is under some semblance of control

Did it break any restrictions?

Even in normal times I would be hesitant to allow Croke park open for events like that.

Why ? - Too divisive

There was an angry counter protest outside which saddened me to see in the environs of Croke Park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

As much as I like sheikh Umar I wanted to scream at each and every attendee to this when it came to my attention

On what grounds, 200 attending an outdoor event is within the guidelines and it's pretty easy for 200 people to social distance in a big space like Croke park

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

biko wrote: »
    Since they started to allow foreign sports and concerts Coke has gone from a national GAA treasure to just another sportsground like Aviva or Tallaght Stadium.

We should make Semple Stadium the new GAA flagship.
    It would do the dubs good to have to travel outside their comfort zone to watch real sports.

When did that start though? 1972 when the Muslim Mohammed Ali fought Blue Lewis or was the other stuff before then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

As much as I like sheikh Umar as a person I wanted to scream at each and every attendee to this when it came to my attention

Why? Plenty of social distancing taking place.

?width=469&version=5165124

Just talking to some gaa members so many of them told me regardless of the argument they were disgusted it went ahead in the midst of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I've read all the OPs posts in this thread and it is clearly a troll job. Either that or he is one of those low IQ people with alt ideas that think they are a genius and everyone else are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Even in normal times I would be hesitant to allow Croke park open for events like that.

Why ? - Too divisive

There was an angry counter protest outside which saddened me to see in the environs of Croke Park

Divisive to who though?

Our constitution guarantees the right of all to express their faith should they choose to do so. That, believe or not, doesn't exist everywhere in the world and should be maintained at all costs. Croke Park was a suitable venue with social distancing concerns in mind and the GAA rather kindly offered the use of the venue for an important event in this faith group's calendar.

Nothing divisive about it in the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Just talking to some gaa members so many of them told me regardless of the argument they were disgusted it went ahead in the midst of a pandemic.

I've been talking to a few members, them and their families have cancelled their memberships, many are very hurt by this.

• Advertisement

Why ? - Too divisive

The counter protest was run by the lunatic of Gemma and Co so not exactly credible. Basically the event took place within the guidelines and nobody really minded. So there you go!
    Don2012 wrote: »
    I've been talking to a few members, and them and their families have cancelled their memberships, many are very hurt by this.

Anecdotes that aren't exactly trustworthy... Any media worthy complaints or is it just secret objectors?

Why ? - Too divisive

Gemma O'Doherty and her band of fùckwits? She would protest the opening of a milk carton if it got her 5 minutes of attention.

Yurt! wrote: »
    Divisive to who though?

Our constitution guarantees the right of all to express their faith should they choose to do so. That, believe or not, doesn't exist everywhere in the world and should be maintained at all costs. Croke Park was a suitable venue with social distancing concerns in mind and the GAA rather kindly offered the use of the venue for an important event in this faith group's calendar.

Nothing divisive about it in the least.

Sorry - it was so divisive.

Look up the counter protests online.

This is NOT what Croke park should be subjected to.

I know we had the papal mass there - and it went really well - but going forward no religious events should take place there - it’s simply not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Exactly no Muslims were in Ireland in 1920, now they want to takeover.

That's a pretty strong statement.

Do you have a link for that figure, just for reference?
    Croker was a message, wake up.

What kind of message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Half the country are GAA members so depending on what GAA members you talked to you would get a myriad of opinions.

What sample size did you talk to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I've been talking to a few members, them and their families have cancelled their memberships, many are very hurt by this.

Good, the GAA don't need these bigots!

I talked to 3897 GAA members and they all loved it, in fact over 66.666% are thinking of converting to Islam they enjoyed it so much!

Hurt in what way? No guidelines or regulations were breached. They restricted it to the 200 allowed outdoors.

Have the GAA been doing the same at matches around the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its only divisive if you choose to see it that way.

While on the whole I agree that public events are not necessary/advisable at the moment, this is completely different to complaining about the nature of the event itself.

I have no time for religion of any sort, but whatever floats your boat. If one of the money-grubbing 'evangelican' tv preachers from the US had come and had an event - which they wouldn't because 200 people is not use to God them I would be more likely to understand objections.

I know we had the papal mass there - and it went really well - but going forward no religious events should take place there - it’s simply not right.

Why are you intentionally omitting who ran the protest? It's credibility goes straight out the window when you do. Gemma O'Doherty who is as credible as David Icke.

• Advertisement

Yes I heard similar

I know some county board members absolutely fuming over it. There’s a lot of anger behind the scenes.

One old man I know who is GAA through and through was absolutely disgusted - I felt so sorry listening to him in such a state over it.

ESPECIALLY not in the midst of a pandemic.

Such selfishness, utter self entitlement and brazen disregard for what Ireland as a whole has gone through over this last while.

Yes I heard similar

One old man I know who is GAA through and through was absolutely disgusted - I felt so sorry listening to him in such a state over it.

Such selfishness, utter self entitlement and brazen disregard for what Ireland as a whole has gone through over this last while.

Did they break guidelines? If they didn't, what exactly is there to be disgusted by?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

biko wrote: »
    They will be playing cricket next.
    Michael Cusack was a great cricket fan

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are there not GAA matches going ahead around the country the last couple of weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The protests were off-the-chain ridiculous. That's on them. If people want to lose the plot shouting about paedos outside a religious service they should take responsibility for their own actions.

Again, I'm of the view that Croke Park is just a stadium - I never bought the line about it being a sacred site of the Irish nation nourished by the blood of Gaelic martyrs. It's bricks and mortar with Coca Cola and Centra advertising hoardings. The Temple Mount / Wailing Wall it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

Such ignorance. No respect for those that died 100 years ago this year, not to mention welcoming a non Irish ideology.
    I wonder would they be as welcoming if the shoe was on the other foot.

Christianity was brought to Ireland by a Welsh slave, before that we were pagan. I assume you want Christianity gone too?

You are posting in English, a language imposed by a foreign power, are you demanding that we stop using this language too?

Wonder if a Polish or other non Muslim group had use of Crime Park would the op be so offended.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Hurt in what way? No guidelines or regulations were breached. They restricted it to the 200 allowed outdoors.

Have the GAA been doing the same at matches around the country?

Bubba - suggestion - ask 100 GAA members in your locality what their opinion on it was. You will get some choice language back but please, ask them and they will tell you

Yes I heard similar

I know some county board members absolutely fuming over it. There’s a lot of anger behind the scenes.

Is this Don replying to himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Anecdotes that aren't exactly trustworthy... Any media worthy complaints or is it just secret objectors?

Don't be silly!
    Of course they are secret objectors!!!
    They couldn't be a silent majority if they weren't like!
    Simples!

• Advertisement

Yes I heard similar

Was it this lad?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement