Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A festival was given the go ahead in Croke Park on 31st July, 200 people were in atte

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Don - suggestion - ask 100 GAA members in your locality what their opinion on it was. You will get some choice language back but please, ask them and they will tell you

I've no interest in asking racists their opinions of the "mooslims" as they would say. Their opinions have no place in this country.

Main thing I've learned from this thread is that the GAA is full of bigots and racists, as per the anecdotes of Don and Beachwood (same person).

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Yurt! wrote: »
    The protests were off-the-chain ridiculous. That's on them. If people want to lose the plot shouting about paedos outside a religious service they should take responsibility for their own actions.

Again, I'm of the view that Croke Park is just a stadium - I never bought the line about it being a sacred site of the Irish nation nourished by the blood of Gaelic martyrs. It's bricks and mortar with Coca Cola and Centra advertising hoardings. The Temple Mount / Wailing Wall it is not.

Speaking of crimes that stay with you in another thread: the Centra jingle. Even though I have not lived in a country with a Centra in 13 years. *shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Don2012 wrote: »
    I've been talking to a few members, them and their families have cancelled their memberships, many are very hurt by this.

Is it because they were Sunni Muslims rather than the Shi'ite Muslim ?

Bubba - suggestion - ask 100 GAA members in your locality what their opinion on it was. You will get some choice language back but please, ask them and they will tell you

So? I'll ask again, what guidelines did they brazenly disregard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Bubba - suggestion - ask 100 GAA members in your locality what their opinion on it was. You will get some choice language back but please, ask them and they will tell you

I dunno, are they mad at socially distanced religious services generally, or socially distanced religious services in stadia?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Exactly no Muslims were in Ireland in 1920, now they want to takeover. Croker was a message, wake up.

There were you know. Muslims have had a presence ,and were resident, in Ireland since records from 1784 in Cork.

They're taking nothing over. No more so than Niall Diamond or Garth Brooks had plans to overthrow society as we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Main thing I've learned from this thread is that the GAA is full of bigots and racists, as per the anecdotes of Don and Beachwood (same person).
    No it is not. But there is no shortage of gob****es in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Gaa members are saying that Croke park is not the place for these events

But Particularly not in a pandemic

I know one former county player - his dad did 3 weeks in ICU but survived the virus. Teak tough like his son.

This player rang up someone high up in the gaa and absolutely chewed the ear off him telling him EXACTLY what he thought of it.

There’s a lot of anger out there over this - these issues are so divisive the gaa shouldn’t get involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

200 people (was originally 500) attended the EID festival in Croke Park on 31st July. An historical building that is deep in Irish history (100th anniversary of Bloody Sunday this year).
    The GAA are supposed to be about promoting Irish culture, heritage and identity.
    Croker was always a sacred place to many Irish people. It's odd that STILL only 50 people are allowed attend any other gathering.
    Why Croke Park? Why not Phoenix Park? Aviva? Chosen deliberately to annoy Irish people.

Why exactly would it annoy the 'Irish people' (some if which must be Muslim)?

Is there some ancient Muslim - Irish conflict I am unaware of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

200 people (was originally 500) attended the EID festival in Croke Park on 31st July. An historical building that is deep in Irish history (100th anniversary of Bloody Sunday this year).
    The GAA are supposed to be about promoting Irish culture, heritage and identity.
    Croker was always a sacred place to many Irish people. It's odd that STILL only 50 people are allowed attend any other gathering.
    Why Croke Park? Why not Phoenix Park? Aviva? Chosen deliberately to annoy Irish people.

Get off the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

My view is that Croke park is not the place for these events

I know one former county player - his dad did 3 weeks in ICU but survived the virus. Teak tough like his son.

This player rang up someone high up in the gaa and absolutely chewed the ear off him telling him EXACTLY what he thought of it.

There’s a lot of anger out there over this - these issues are so divisive the gaa shouldn’t get involved.

He sounds made up, you wouldn't have made that up would you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I'm sure all 200 are fully supportive of gay rights, gay marriage and abortion. Very inclusive and progress Muslims we have here in Ireland

Do you think all GAA matches, which currently allow 200 to attend, should also be banned currently? Or is it just when muslims do something within regulations?

What about Muslim GAA players going to matches? What a dilemma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

I've read all the OPs posts in this thread and it is clearly a troll job. Either that or he is one of those low IQ people with alt ideas that think they are a genius and everyone else are idiots.

My opinion you may not agree with but calling me "low IQ"?? Out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

statesaver wrote: »
    I'm sure all 200 are fully supportive of gay rights, gay marriage and abortion. Very inclusive and progress Muslims we have here in Ireland

In fairness sheikh umar is fairly progressive, that’s how he presents himself on the media anyway?

My opinion you may not agree with but calling me "low IQ"?? Out of line.

Your boards history is all anyone needs to determine that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

You know nothing about any of the people that went to the event. You could generalise and say the exact same about the Catholics or the Protestants.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Why is he not ringing up people about players playing a contact sport at the same time and potentially the same number of supporters watching as were in Croke park?

Jim Root wrote: »
    Get off the stage.

Get off my thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I used to work in the George, only abuse i ever seen the customers get outside was from white Irish people. Imagine that *shrugs shoulders*

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whereas the catholic church are all about those things?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Do you think all GAA matches, which currently allow 200 to attend, should also be banned currently? Or is it just when muslims do something within regulations?

What about Muslim GAA players going to matches? What a dilemma.

What if a Sikh wants to play handball with a mate after Gurdwara? He's suitably foreign looking and he's playing the ancient game of Cuchulain against the sacred wall of the Celtic martyr.

Half the country are GAA members so depending on what GAA members you talked to you would get a myriad of opinions.

What sample size did you talk to?

That particular poster has form for talking to someone involved in every thread on boards!!
    Couldn't believe a word of any of it.

Your boards history is all anyone needs to determine that.

So you have now called me "LOW IQ" twice??

Gaa members are saying that Croke park is not the place for these events

You should be able to produce some actual evidence? Also can you provide evidence of guidelines that were violated?

Any of us can make up anecdotes btw. I know a pretty famous player who thought it was great. He contacted a senior member of the GAA to say as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Choke park is not sacred it’s a commercial entity that you can book

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Get off my thread.

It’s not yours. It’s the site’s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Whereas the catholic church are all about those things?

Who get attacked as bigots by the media.

Have heard no such comment about other religions. Wasn't their a Catholic mass in Croke Park few years ago which received less than favourable media coverage compared to this event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Who get attacked as bigots by the media.

Have heard no such comment about other religions. Wasn't their a Catholic mass in Croke Park few years ago which received less than favourable media coverage.

a crossover on this thread between some posters who opposed the popes visit to the phoenix park yet welcome this too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement