Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A festival was given the go ahead in Croke Park on 31st July, 200 people were in atte

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

In one of the most conservative Islamic countries in the world, a mosque, a synagogue and a church are being built side by side https://www.newsweek.com/church-mosque-synagogue-abu-dhabi-1461097

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Don2012 wrote: »
    No the fact is why was think allowed to happen? No way would Catholics and protestants be allowed to celebrate in a Muslim country, in a place that Muslims hold dear.

Besides the point that two wrongs don't make a right, religious entities don't hold Croke Park dear, some sports fans do. There is a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

KiKi III wrote: »
    In one of the most conservative Islamic countries in the world, a mosque, a synagogue and a church are being built side by side https://www.newsweek.com/church-mosque-synagogue-abu-dhabi-1461097

Yeah but is Don allowed to swing a hurley outside the mosque or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,063 ✭✭✭✭looksee

By the sound of things it was the crowd outside the stadium who were the divisive ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the UAE and especially Dubai / Abu Dhabi are probably the softest countries to still describe themselves as muslim.

Dubai is considered stricter and they're nowhere near Saudi / Pakistan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

of that religion, its rebirth will be a lot less tolerant than the old one was.

When any religion gets a lot of power they never seem to cover themselves in glory. Best leave then all at arms length IMO.

Bowie wrote: »
    When any religion gets a lot of power they never seem to cover themselves in glory. Best leave then all at arms length IMO.

absolutely, but for some reason this religion with enough egg on its face and skeletons in its closet bares a special halo above criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Such ignorance. No respect for those that died 100 years ago this year, not to mention welcoming a non Irish ideology.
    I wonder would they be as welcoming if the shoe was on the other foot.

A mass gathering to say the rosary in a sports stadium in Saudi Arabia wouldn't be a runner, I imagine. But that's more an indictment on the Saudis. I'm glad that in Ireland most people couldn't give two f's about an Islamic prayer session in Croke Park. It's a venue that is available for hire - as many have pointed out - so, off with them.

The notion that Croke Park is "sacred" is nonsense, in my opinion. Our history is all around us. GAA plays a part but it's not as important as some would like to believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Bowie wrote: »

Iv'e zero time for any sky fairies but respect anyone who does. What i find hilarious is the double standards of lefties when it comes to Islam.

the UAE and especially Dubai / Abu Dhabi are probably the softest countries to still describe themselves as muslim.

Dubai is considered stricter and they're nowhere near Saudi / Pakistan.

You’re quite mistaken in that. The UAE is far more likely to enforce Sharia law than the likes of Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon. The Gulf countries are far more Islamic than the Levant region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

At least they let the GAA into their pitches.

You’re quite mistaken in that. The UAE is far more likely to enforce Sharia law than the likes of Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon. The Gulf countries are far more Islamic than the Levant region.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_rights_in_Muslim-majority_countries

the UAE ranks highest on the international human rights indicator of all the muslim majority nations. It is by design less strict to encourage western business.

Ive been in Morocco and Dubai, Morocco is a stricter country by a long shot. The UAE is 'sharia-light'

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No the fact is why was think allowed to happen? No way would Catholics and protestants be allowed to celebrate in a Muslim country, in a place that Muslims hold dear.
    Aah good old fashioned religious prejudice.
    So, you think that because a Muslim country may be intolerant, you think Ireland should too? How bigoted of you!

of that religion, its rebirth will be a lot less tolerant than the old one was.

There will be no rebirth.

Atheism/agnosticism is growing way faster than any religion, in Ireland and throughout Europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Iv'e zero time for any sky fairies but respect anyone who does. What i find hilarious is the double standards of lefties when it comes to Islam.

Who are these lefties? I keep hearing about them and the liberals. People are complex.
    I think its down to the GAA and how much money is enough. Theyd have cricket if the price was right.

Not to mention the Balkan Muslim countries! Gulf countries are far from the most relaxed!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

absolutely, but for some reason this religion with enough egg on its face and skeletons in its closet bares a special halo above criticism.

The funny thing is I genuinely have no idea if you're referring to Catholics, Muslims, the GAA or all of the above.

Graham wrote: »
    The funny thing is I genuinely have no idea if you're referring to Catholics, Muslims, the GAA or all of the above.

I know, its great .

but the Catholic Church is allowed to be publicly reviled , I just want the other 2 to meet the same fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,407 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Catholicism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Aah good old fashioned religious prejudice.
    So, you think that because a Muslim country may be intolerant, you think Ireland should too? How bigoted of you!

Are you not the bigoted one! I mean, Irish people could not have a Christian celebration in their country but somehow "I'm the bigoted one" when you are sticking up for them.

• Advertisement

the UAE ranks highest on the international human rights indicator of all the muslim majority nations. It is by design less strict to encourage western business.

Ive been in Morocco and Dubai, Morocco is a stricter country by a long shot. The UAE is 'sharia-light'

I’ve lived in Dubai and been to Morocco. If you think Morocco is stricter you are massively misinformed.

Weird that you visit so many Muslim countries considering how much you hate them.

Are you not the bigoted one! I mean, Irish people could not have a Christian celebration in their country but somehow "I'm the bigoted one" when you are sticking up for them.

you know there are Catholic churches in the ME right?

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Glad to see most people see the OP for what it is!

It is in its shìte!

Catholicism?

Catholicism is ridiculed and despised by the MSM and politicians.
    It's ok to say whatever though because it's Catholicism, every other religion it is wrong and disrespectful.

Glad to see most people see the OP for what it is!

What exactly am I???????????

What exactly am I???????????

Someone who uses far too many question marks for one thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

1. How am I being bigoted in anything that I've posted?
    2. Who said that Irish people couldn't have a Christian celebration in their country? (A link to the news article please)
    3. I'm sticking up for "them"? Who is "them"? Do you mean Muslims? Does it make you feel ill to say that word?

Face it, because it's quite evident - you started this thread out of pure religious intolerance and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I've seen Taylor Swift, RHCP and The Rolling Stones at Croke Park.

Seen the Stones there myself, all be it, NOT during covid, NOT during the most serious health pandemic that ever hit the country and planet.

• Advertisement

I know, its great .

but the Catholic Church is allowed to be publicly reviled , I just want the other 2 to meet the same fate.

That will never happen. Only Catholicism is mocked and ridiculed by MSM and politicians.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement