Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A festival was given the go ahead in Croke Park on 31st July, 200 people were in atte

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,887 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Don2012 wrote: »
    200 people (was originally 500) attended the EID festival in Croke Park on 31st July. An historical building that is deep in Irish history (100th anniversary of Bloody Sunday this year).
    The GAA are supposed to be about promoting Irish culture, heritage and identity.
    Croker was always a sacred place to many Irish people. It's odd that STILL only 50 people are allowed attend any other gathering.
    Why Croke Park? Why not Phoenix Park? Aviva? Chosen deliberately to annoy Irish people.
    Can I take it for granted* that your main gripe is that some Muslims were allowed to pray and should be sent home to their own country and all that?
    As a member of the GAA, I've no problem at all with HQ being used for this event.

*I don't really want to read all 6 pages of this thread if it's anything like all of the other Muslim bashing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,283 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sorry no I don’t have a recording of the phone call the ex county player made.

What I was told is that the first time he rang the guy told him he was with his kids and wife and that he’d ring him back - fobbing him off let’s be real

The return call never came. This REALLY p1ssed him off so he rang him back and gave him both barrells.

This guy is not a shrinking violet at the best of times and had gone through hell with his dad being in ICU for weeks so he absolutely tore into him about opening up Croke park for a non essential meeting

The same guy is about as far from an anti Muslim as it gets.

Sorry now but the gaa shouldn’t be involving itself in divisive issues

I hated to see the counter protest right outside the stadium as well. Goading the guards etc. choice language.

Whole thing was a disaster :/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

statesaver wrote: »
    Who get attacked as bigots by the media.

Have heard no such comment about other religions. Wasn't their a Catholic mass in Croke Park few years ago which received less than favourable media coverage compared to this event.

Did it? I dont remember. I couldnt care less if all religions collapsed n the morning, but if people are going to complain about something being on because of the views of Islam, they should be applying the same criticism to any other religion.

What I was told is that the first time he rang the guy told him he was with his kids and wife and that he’d ring him back

The return call never came. This REALLY p1ssed him off so he rang him back and gave him both barrells.

This guy is not a shrinking violet at the best of times and had gone through hell with his dad being in ICU for weeks so he absolutely tore into him about opening up Croke park for a non essential meeting

I hated to see the counter protest right outside the stadium as well. Goading the guards etc. choice language.

So when you asked him has he no issue with GAA matches going on, what did he say?

What I was told is that the first time he rang the guy told him he was with his kids and wife and that he’d ring him back

It really wasn't though. It only now got an outraged thread about it so it clearly wasn't of particular note to anyone. Your story if true makes the former player sound a bit deranged tbh as the event took place in a perfectly safe fashion.. No rules were violated and guidelines were followed. The protests were of little note. So the upset player is meaningless.

• Advertisement

a crossover on this thread between some posters who opposed the popes visit to the phoenix park yet welcome this too.

It's a lot more likely that people have legitimate grievances with the catholic church through personal experience than anyone here has with Islam.

In what way has the GAA become involved In a divisive issue?
    There is no issue unless you make it an issue?
    Why? How is people praying a disaster?
    Surely the disaster is those that object to a private religious festival?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

I used to work in the George, only abuse i ever seen the customers get outside was from white Irish people. Imagine that *shrugs shoulders*

Doesn't surprise me we are a majority white country *shrugs shoulders*.

It really wasn't though. It only now got an outraged thread about it so it clearly wasn't of particular note to anyone. Your story if true makes the former player sound a bit deranged tbh as the event took place in a perfectly safe fashion.. No rules were violated and guidelines were followed. The protests were of little note. So the upset player is meaningless.

He’s only 1 of a good number I know who are beyond angry about it

The worst was an old man I know, I ring him every few days to check in and catch up with him - pre virus it would’ve been quick chats in his garden but now we stick to calls as he is more or less cocooning still

This guy is gaa mad and majorly into it for donkeys years. He’s been involved in a number of voluntary roles going back years in the county

He was absolutely heart broken and just plain mystified about this event being allowed go ahead. It was sad to seem him get so worked up and into a state over it, it was poignant I suppose the word is :/

The worst was an old man I know, I ring him every few days to check in and catch up with him - pre virus it would’ve been quick chats in his garden but now we stick to calls as he is more or less cocooning still

This guy is gaa mad and majorly into it for donkeys years. He’s been involved in a number of voluntary roles going back years in the county

He was absolutely heart broken and just plain mystified about this event being allowed go ahead. It was sad to seem him get so worked up and into a state over it, it was poignant I suppose the word is :/

But you haven't produced a single good reason to be upset by the hosting of the event. You'll likely similar amounts who were annoyed by rugby taking place in there. So what?

• Advertisement

How come , despite being asked at least 3 times,you havnt answered about these peoples views on GAA matches going ahead at the minute? Presumably you didnt just contact them to talk about a single muslim prayer meeting?

Did they have any views on all the people a few weeks back demanding churches be allowed open?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

You can add the word poignant to things you don’t understand

Don2012 wrote: »
    200 people (was originally 500) attended the EID festival in Croke Park on 31st July. An historical building that is deep in Irish history (100th anniversary of Bloody Sunday this year).
    The GAA are supposed to be about promoting Irish culture, heritage and identity.
    Croker was always a sacred place to many Irish people. It's odd that STILL only 50 people are allowed attend any other gathering.
    Why Croke Park? Why not Phoenix Park? Aviva? Chosen deliberately to annoy Irish people.

You’ve mixed up total people and total spectators. Even though I admire you’re passion you haven’t a breeze so you should probably just try get the thread deleted at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Tell him not to be so upset. The event was broadcast on RTE TV and the leaders of the Catholic, Protestant and Jewish faiths in Ireland were in attendance. That should reassure anyone that it was meant to be an inclusive event.

He might have read the stuff about animals being slaughtered in Croke Park, but that was propaganda spread by anti Muslims.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Your anecdotal old man who I'm sure absolutely exists* has little to be worrying about in his senior years if he's bothered about a religious service conducted safely.

*With all that's going on in the world at the moment, you seem to have had an inordinately large amount of conversations with people where the hot topic seems to be anger about Muslims at prayer, and they all echo your exact feelings on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

TBF I always saw the GAA as a paddy mafia using players and 'tradition' to fill their pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭JaCrispy

You'd wonder if the Catholic Church held a mass in Croke Park then would there be the same level of acceptance?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Bowie wrote: »
    TBF I always saw the GAA as a paddy mafia using players and 'tradition' to fill their pockets.

Unfair.

JaCrispy wrote: »
    You'd wonder if the Catholic Church held a mass in Croke Park then would there be the same level of acceptance?

Personally The papal mass went pretty well but certainly wouldn’t support it during a pandemic

Seeing there has never, ever , been a catholic gathering in Croke park , I guess we'll just never know.....

• Advertisement

I haven't much time for them but like the Muslim festival, the RCC would have to pay the GAA for the use of Croker, so I'm fine with that!.
    I've also been to IT conferences in Croker but nobody started threads about them for some reason. There were even some muslim people in attendance at those conferences :rolleyes:

Personally The papal mass went pretty well but certainly wouldn’t support it during a pandemic

So ,you're condemning any churches that are currently open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

I find it ironic that lefties and liberals haven't a bad word to say about this yet go into convulsions when it's suggested the pope would hold a mass in Croke Park.

I find it ironic that lefties and liberals haven't a bad word to say about this yet go into convulsions when it's suggested the pope would hold a mass in Croke Park.

That’s how they work these days. Inclusive so long as they deem it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Has John B. Keane written a sequel, about another field?

Huh? Who went into convulsions?

Can you provide proof of guidelines being broken or anything unsafe taking place? You've actively dodged this question throughout the thread.

"theyre asking awkward questions we dont want to answer, quick lets deflect by making ourselves victims"

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Most lefties and liberals couldn't give a flying **** if you held 100 masses in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What I was told is that the first time he rang the guy told him he was with his kids and wife and that he’d ring him back - fobbing him off let’s be real

Whats so divisive about it. Archbishop Diarmuid Martin welcomed it and spoke it. If anything its a good thing because it promoted Catholics and Muslims learning to live together harmoniously.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement