Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I feel that teachers in general are so willing to give it a try. I don't know how they do it, must be their loyalty to the kids/pupils etc. Fair Play.

But there comes a time when Gov has to help here. Supply visors, install sinks, provide hand gel, reduce numbers on a bi weekly basis and so on would be a start.

TBH if I were a teacher I would be so very wary, but fair play to those who go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

If someone presents to a school with any of the symptoms listed in the document then they will be sent home. That will be last minute.

Problem there is how to send them home, we all know contacting parents can be difficult, we can't just send them out of the school or the school is liable. It's just one huge ****show waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

MAybe parents could fill in a daily health questionaire like the ones for GAA re temps etc.
    Not sure if helpful and I know it would be chaotic trying to do them in the morning before rushing out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

khalessi wrote: »
    MAybe parents could fill in a daily health questionaire like the ones for GAA re temps etc.
    Not sure if helpful and I know it would be chaotic trying to do them in the morning before rushing out the door.

This is where a central portal/app linked to the school roll number would be innovative. Wonder was it even considered?

We had to refuse a kid during the week from training because it hadn't been filled in. Just sat at the fence and watched as we couldn't allow him to join in and couldn't raise either parent on the phone.

• Advertisement

Problem there is how to send them home, we all know contacting parents can be difficult, we can't just send them out of the school or the school is liable. It's just one huge ****show waiting to happen.

I'm talking about staff not students. Students will go to the isolation room/area and await parental/guardian collection.

We had to refuse a kid during the week from training because it hadn't been filled in. Just sat at the fence and watched as we couldn't allow him to join in and couldn't raise either parent on the phone.

Luckily havent had that ye tbut have had issues where I've to remind them to set profile to camoige or I wont see it. Good to have but could have been organised a bit better, a tick box beside child's name for the different sports and tick appropriately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Agree with you, Sammy. What are the parent's council saying?

Sammy?

What parent's council... haven't heard a thing from them on anything, ever.

I feel that teachers in general are so willing to give it a try. I don't know how they do it, must be their loyalty to the kids/pupils etc. Fair Play.

But there comes a time when Gov has to help here. Supply visors, install sinks, provide hand gel, reduce numbers on a bi weekly basis and so on would be a start.

TBH if I were a teacher I would be so very wary, but fair play to those who go ahead.

I got my own visors and masks and if the government decide to suppy them, bonus! Otherwise I will just wear my own. I have also ordered a voice amplifier so the chldren can hear me properly.

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of normal staff members aren't included in the decision making process within schools either. Just not possible to include everyone in the process. Trust the schools to be working away on things in the background and when they have a plan that is fit for public consumption it will be shared. Our school did a lot of work before we officially finished for the year and then I heard nothing for about 4 weeks as we couldn't do any more until we got guidelines/guidance. Emails, WhatsApp and zoom staff meetings have been occurring since but we haven't and won't be communicating anything with parents just yet as we haven't things fully nailed down yet. Further clarification from the department on things is being waited on by every school. Hopefully this will arrive next week and then we can act on it.

While I can appreciate what you've said, I think there's actually another possible approach here. For example my family and I lived abroad for years lastly in the US for a long time. My wife and I are still on the mailing list somehow for the past couple years getting updates from our kids previous school district. The level of communication from the entire city district and the principle is unreal and admirable actually. I have a few family members living there too in various places, and it's the same for them. Lots of communication and reassurance. An open forum for comments and concerns and opinions. Info given when details known. When they don't know they've given an expected date for follow up. I've even seen where they let parents know that an announcement from local gov't is expected so they've pushed out the feedback date to x date and will let us know then. Some cities/districts have already taken the decision to fully close the first 3 months and engage in remote learning only. My kids own previous school district has a few different options and seems quite common over there. Parents can choose to send them back to school learning, a fully online option, or a mix of the two. The online curriculum has been developed per state guidelines and is fully ready to go with teacher training and support. Extra tablet equipment has been purchased and a loaner program in place. It's impressive really. And we're over here like "ah sure it'll be grand lets see how it goes," meanwhile school principle can't even give a single sentence of reassurance or offer an open forum for concerns?
    We can and should do better. For the safety of our kids and the teachers too, all the stops should be pulled in the middle of a global pandemic- and we're only a small country FFS it shouldn't be this hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭combat14

Not sure if anyone is factoring in current teachers who are elderly or who have underlying health conditions ..

I know of one school where one member of staff has just turned 60 and was out for a lot of the year already due to health issues and a younger teacher who had a stroke.. and was also absent for quite some time.. I am sure there were other staff with recurring health issues too who may decide not to rush back in September ..

this is not to mention teachers who may also be concerned about catching covid 19 while pregnant ..

staff may also take longer to recover from illnesses and return to schools if still open this winter

hard to see how the schools will fill in the missing gaps ..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This scenario isn't far fetched at all in a school such as ours where we are going to be temp checking all staff twice daily.

Temperature checking is pretty much a waste of time as it's not very effective in preventing the spread of COVID-19.

It won't detect COVID-19 in asymptomatic cases and may give people a false sense of security and cause them to ease up on the social distancing. It also won't detect the virus when it is in its incubation period or possibly in the early stages of infection. Antipyretics such as paracetamol can also mask a fever.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    We can and should do better. For the safety of our kids and the teachers too, all the stops should be pulled in the middle of a global pandemic- and we're only a small country FFS it shouldn't be this hard.

This one million percent. Anyone with half a brain can see it is half ar$ed.

combat14 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone is factoring in current teachers who are elderly or who have underlying health conditions ..

I know of one school where one member of staff has just turned 60 and was out for a lot of the year already due to health issues and a younger teacher who had a stroke.. and was also absent for quite some time.. I am sure there were other staff with recurring health issues too who may decide not to rush back in September ..

this is not to mention teachers who may also be concerned about catching covid 19 while pregnant ..

staff may also take longer to recover from illnesses and return to schools if still open this winter

Yet another reason why this country should have been focused on delivering and supporting a centralised online education system. There will be vulnerabilities both students and teachers. Some classes or schools will need to close and people will be required to self isolate or recover. As people are sick or exposed how will gaps in teachers be filled when what I'm reading is that there is a teacher shortage. It's going to turn into a sh!t show and the Irish people deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

I'm talking about staff not students. Students will go to the isolation room/area and await parental/guardian collection.

Sorry I misunderstood, I'm rarely in this thread anymore as I'm trying not to think too much about the return the school as it is anxiety inducing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think there would be parents who confirm the questionnaire without really thinking it through. Sadly I dont think this would stop children being sent to school with covid symptoms. Also I imagine it could be a nightmare for teachers policing this at the school gates eg. Johnny gets off the school bus, teacher has'nt received the confirmed questionnaire from the parents - cant get in contact with parents. It could get very messy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

Deeec wrote: »
    I think there would be parents who confirm the questionnaire without really thinking it through. Sadly I dont think this would stop children being sent to school with covid symptoms. Also I imagine it could be a nightmare for teachers policing this at the school gates eg. Johnny gets off the school bus, teacher has'nt received the confirmed questionnaire from the parents - cant get in contact with parents. It could get very messy.

I had a run in with a neighbour couple of weeks back. Himself and herself have 3 kids and they struck up a conversation outside about the virus. Told me they are really concerned about what will become of their little angels if the schools don't reopen in a few weeks etc.. I just told them if they where really concerned they'd have not had the house party with about 30 people present the weekend before last.

It just came out and i didn't think it through before i said it but fcuk them i wasn't in the mood as my own daughter needs getting back to school also and im sick of people not taking this seriously enough.

Anyway one less set of neighbours that i have to be concerned about striking up conversations with me when all i want to do is let the dog outside for a slash.

I had a run in with a neighbour couple of weeks back. Himself and herself have 3 kids and they struck up a conversation outside about the virus. Told me they are really concerned about what will become of their little angels if the schools don't reopen in a few weeks etc.. I just told them if they where really concerned they'd have not had the house party with about 30 people present the weekend before last.

It just came out and i didn't think it through before i said it but fcuk them i wasn't in the mood as my own daughter needs getting back to school also and im sick of people not taking this seriously enough.

Anyway one less set of neighbours that i have to be concerned about striking up conversations with me when all i want to do is let the dog outside for a slash.

What was the response?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭The Unbearables

What was the response?

Couldn't possibly repeat the language from himself. Fairly aggressive fella so just walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

What was the response?

Ha brilliant, right response

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Are you going to do your best this coming year if and when you are back 'online' or are you going to not do much as you admitted to on here? I hated online but I did my beat. Can you say the same?

Is there some reason you wont tell us about your magical plan?

Is it that you have no plan? Or indeed, no clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭isup

Is anyone else still keeping their kids from going to playgrounds and playdates. Im still in that stage and think it's going to be a big shock when they go back to school. I wish the primary schools had a real plan rather than just throwing them in there.

Is there some reason you wont tell us about your magical plan?

Is it that you have no plan? Or indeed, no clue?

Where did I mention a 'magical plan'?

I do my job and educate the children in my class to the best of my ability.

Can you really say the same? Remember what you posted previously about not doing your best?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I got my own visors and masks and if the government decide to suppy them, bonus! Otherwise I will just wear my own. I have also ordered a voice amplifier so the chldren can hear me properly.

Fair dues to you.

I did mention in earlier posts about visors but that is just me and I'm not a teacher, but a visor would be the minimum protection that I would go for.

I also like the idea of amplification via mikes if using visors/masks. You are very clued in, full marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Nurses didn’t graduate early as such . They were allowed work in a clinical setting sooner than they would in other years . First and second year nurses were deployed in non acute settings to ease the burden and allow staff be redeployed
    Doctors didn’t graduate early but as soon as they graduated they were given short term contracts to get them quickly into the areas where they were needed

Doctors did graduate about two months early. All the final exams and assessments were brought forward with very little notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Doctors did graduate about two months early. All the final exams and assessments were brought forward with very little notice.

Fair enough . My mistake but its not as if they graduated a year early .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Fair dues to you.

I did mention in earlier posts about visors but that is just me and I'm not a teacher, but a visor would be the minimum protection that I would go for.

I also like the idea of amplification via mikes if using visors/masks. You are very clued in, full marks.

They aren’t the only one. Belt microphone/speaker arrives tomorrow and I have my masks already. Google classrooms set up and I’m prepping. Gave up posting here because it’s an absolute mess

They aren’t the only one. Belt microphone/speaker arrives tomorrow and I have my masks already. Google classrooms set up and I’m prepping. Gave up posting here because it’s an absolute mess

Which mic set did you get?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

combat14 wrote: »

No one is talking about it or just waving it away with vague suggestions. These are people with lives and families, they have names and worth but there seems to be general sentiment among the public and government that we must reopen schools at all costs, it reminds me a lot of the thick mentality embedded in the "get Brexit done" mantra. Education can be provided but not under this "plan" which is really a no-plan. Marquee tents, gymnasiums if in-person teaching is so critical or the implementation of an online infrastructure are two options but no, "back to normal" no matter what is the insipid ideology that reigns supreme right now, the blind leading the blind into a bonfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Where did I mention a 'magical plan'?

I do my job and educate the children in my class to the best of my ability.

Can you really say the same? Remember what you posted previously about not doing your best?

So you have no magical plan.

Do you have any opinions about what would work?

I think it’s only fair you tell us. Seen as you seem to have such strong opinions on what everyone else is posting :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement