Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

This is simply not true in some schools.

And teenagers are the most dangerous group to be working with these days.

How? That is a very sweeping statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Unbelievable. If you are afraid you might cause harm to your father by doing your job, then you can easily resign your position.

So a person cannot have concerns about this useless plan? How it really doesn't offer much protection to all adults who work in them and might have concerns regards bringing it into their parent houses and indeed their own houses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Just wondering from the parents here have any of the primary schools been in touch asking for the kids to bring their own small bottle of sanitizer and maybe wipes to bring with them to school? I'm thinking about giving them to my kids but have no information from their school so just wondering has anyone else heard anything?

We have heard absolutely nothing. Just a document forwarded out from Minister Foley and nothing else or since. No invitation for parents to voice their questions and concerns and input. No assurances as to when we might hear more or indeed if we even will. No information about the school's specific limitations and what can or can't be done with the guidelines. Email sent back to principle haven't yet received a reply. Are we really expected to just turn up with our children 1st day back having been in the dark and kept anxious all this time? Maybe if parents were pulled into it in a more collaborative and informative manner we could help speak out on what we see as concerns or failures for our children. Wasting that opportunity so they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Stateofyou wrote: »
    We have heard absolutely nothing. Just a document forwarded out from Minister Foley and nothing else or since. No invitation for parents to voice their questions and concerns and input. No assurances as to when we might hear more or indeed if we even will. No information about the school's specific limitations and what can or can't be done with the guidelines. Email sent back to principle haven't yet received a reply. Are we really expected to just turn up with our children 1st day back having been in the dark and kept anxious all this time? Maybe if parents were pulled into it in a more collaborative and informative manner we could help speak out on what we see as concerns or failures for our children. Wasting that opportunity so they are.

Agree with you, Sammy. What are the parent's council saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I'd hope the principal will contact you over the next few days. Even if it's just to gt an idea of students with underlying conditions for planning. We are only sending out info over the next few days as we had a lot of questions to think about, some school may require the BOM to meet too so hopefully you'll hear soon.

• Advertisement

I'd hazard a guess that a lot of normal staff members aren't included in the decision making process within schools either. Just not possible to include everyone in the process. Trust the schools to be working away on things in the background and when they have a plan that is fit for public consumption it will be shared. Our school did a lot of work before we officially finished for the year and then I heard nothing for about 4 weeks as we couldn't do any more until we got guidelines/guidance. Emails, WhatsApp and zoom staff meetings have been occurring since but we haven't and won't be communicating anything with parents just yet as we haven't things fully nailed down yet. Further clarification from the department on things is being waited on by every school. Hopefully this will arrive next week and then we can act on it.

If the numbers go over 100 a day and face masks are not compulsory, I will be keeping my children home.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbienoob

Unbelievable. If you are afraid you might cause harm to your father by doing your job, then you can easily resign your position.

This must be a troll. Most ridiculous post I've seen. I'm presuming you yourself resigned during lockdown rather than WFH!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

So a person cannot have concerns about this useless plan? How it really doesn't offer much protection to all adults who work in them and might have concerns regards bringing it into their parent houses and indeed their own houses.

You seem to have a lot of ideas.

What is your plan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Purplewaters

A lot of people are in the same position and have not had the luxury of working from home since March.

They have all had to make a call on whether to risk coming into contact with older or vulnerable members of their family while working.

This is not just an issue from September when teachers return and certainly isn't a decision that's exclusive to teachers.

All o the pupils families will also have to make that call once kids return to school, this is an everyday decision or sacrifice that a lot of the country has been dealing with for months.

Didn't realise a lot of people were working in schools with those circumstances during the pandemic lockdown. With safety measures in place it's not the the same thing and each person should fight for their own right to a safe workplace . I for one would have fully supported spending as much money as possible on ppe for nurses and doctors and cleaners etc. Supporting each others right to safety is what we should be doing.

• Advertisement

You seem to have a lot of ideas.

What is your plan?

My plan will be as usual to do the best by the children under my care unlike some I can speak of who have openly declared in boards that they don't. Have I spoken a mistruth?

Guessing you will now play the bully or feminist card as per usual with anyone who points out the truth to you.

It doesn't magically infect everyone that is in a room with an infected person, and then all their families as well....,

it is actually highly contagious jsut look up what's happened in Georgia etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have very rarely visited them. Once, in fact through the glass with my 98 yr old gran. She hasn’t held my 10 month old baby since lockdown. So find another reason to troll on.

Point and case why I haven’t posted here.

Sickening what people get their kicks off.

Lord save us from the hand wringing. It was simple hyperbole, so yes, you can expect it to be identified.

What you're now saying is September isn't any different afterall. Schools open, makes absolutely zilch difference to your behaviour with your granny, as you've been doing the exact same with schools closed. Why even mention it?

Kicks, as you put it?

I foresee staffing being a huge issue with all this. If the conditions are unsafe I really think they are banking a lot on subs going into classes of suspected covid cases when these subs in reality have no obligation and have no contract or security anyway.

I foresee staffing being a huge issue with all this. If the conditions are unsafe I really think they are banking a lot on subs going into classes of suspected covid cases when these subs in reality have no obligation and have no contract or security anyway.

In addition to this I would add that if I was a sub and being this low security and high risk opportunity I would be probably opting out. Especially with the public attitude towards teachers and the lack of respect for the risks they would be taking. This whole negatively parade about whinger teachers goes full circle, when they're not respected and appreciated you will find the people aka subs with some more freedom and choice in tbe whole matter opting out.

Here is a situation that I think could easily occur. A number of staff members call in sick. School goes through the various procedures, ends up managing to get one sub so SET have to step into the other classes. Sub arrives at the school but is turned away as they have a runny nose. What happens in this instance, class sent home as no sub available? This scenario isn't far fetched at all in a school such as ours where we are going to be temp checking all staff twice daily.

In addition to this I would add that if I was a sub and being this low security and high risk opportunity I would be probably opting out. Especially with the public attitude towards teachers and the lack of respect for the risks they would be taking. This whole negatively parade about whinger teachers goes full circle, when they're not respected and appreciated you will find the people aka subs with some more freedom and choice in tbe whole matter opting out.

I was doing casual subbing a few years ago, and if I was still doing that now I would look for a job in another sector.

alroley wrote: »
    I was doing casual subbing a few years ago, and if I was still doing that now I would look for a job in another sector.

Exactly the whole plan banks on these casual subs who have no job security. If they want people to work as casual subs in this current situation it should be similar to agency nursing and you should have security or people will just make the right choice for their own health and safety and opt out. People will still probably do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

I think doctors and nurses graduated early because they were needed in the hospitals. If there is a shortage in schools, could final year trainee teachers be put into schools for practical on the job learning while assisting/teaching in schools. Pay them as assistant teachers. This is a question.

Here is a situation that I think could easily occur. A number of staff members call in sick. School goes through the various procedures, ends up managing to get one sub so SET have to step into the other classes. Sub arrives at the school but is turned away as they have a runny nose. What happens in this instance, class sent home as no sub available? This scenario isn't far fetched at all in a school such as ours where we are going to be temp checking all staff twice daily.

I presume people could by chance have a temperature quite often too so if they're sent home last minute it will be chaotic

• Advertisement

Mrsmum wrote: »
    I think doctors and nurses graduated early because they were needed in the hospitals. If there is a shortage in schools, could final year trainee teachers be put into schools for practical on the job learning while assisting/teaching in schools. Pay them as assistant teachers. This is a question.

I heard this suggested as an option but it seems as if it is too late now. Would have been a great idea for the government to trial bur they would need to be paid similar wages to trainee nurses.

Big risk for subs going into schools, large absences indicate a possible issue, would you risk your health for a few days work....hard to know what will happen with that

I heard this suggested as an option but it seems as if it is too late now. Would have been a great idea for the government to trial bur they would need to be paid similar wages to trainee nurses.

To be honest, a lot of schools in Dublin are already using PMEs, we did this year. Not just for subbing either!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

My plan will be as usual to do the best by the children under my care ...

Nice and vague!! Can you be more specific?

Or do you not really have any plan?

To be honest, a lot of schools in Dublin are already using PMEs, we did this year. Not just for subbing either!

We had a PME covering a maternity leave for part of the year!

I think the parents have never realised how bad the situation already was as regards substitution, most schools had none. There is a chance this will either highlight it or the special ed teavhers will jsut be used to cover it and the special ed students will be left without support for long stints.

Firstly there isn't any post of 'assistant teacher' in Ireland. Secondly I know most PMEs pretty much work already full-time in there final year anyway. Often with timetabled hours.

In my own school at primary level, most of our sub days over the past 2/3 years have been filled by either final year B-Ed students, people doing the Hibernia course or retired teachers doing a favour for our principal. Most retired teachers would fall into the 'at risk' category so you can probably rule most of those out this coming school year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Nurses didn’t graduate early as such . They were allowed work in a clinical setting sooner than they would in other years . First and second year nurses were deployed in non acute settings to ease the burden and allow staff be redeployed
    Doctors didn’t graduate early but as soon as they graduated they were given short term contracts to get them quickly into the areas where they were needed

Nice and vague!! Can you be more specific?

Or do you not really have any plan?

Are you going to do your best this coming year if and when you are back 'online' or are you going to not do much as you admitted to on here? I hated online but I did my beat. Can you say the same?

• Advertisement

I presume people could by chance have a temperature quite often too so if they're sent home last minute it will be chaotic

If someone presents to a school with any of the symptoms listed in the document then they will be sent home. That will be last minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement