Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For those parents asking why they haven’t heard from their schools : the “ guidelines “ are very vague on detail and were released to schools at the same time as everyone else . School staff are trying to interpret them and come up with a plan that is as safe as possible, under what are , honestly , unsafe “ rules .”
    All over the country , staff are trying to measure spaces , organize safe procedures for drop off/ collections, isolation spaces , timetables and even Critical Incident policies which detail what to do in the event of a traumatic experience such as death of a student or staff member in the school community .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

So you have no magical plan.

Do you have any opinions about what would work?

I think it’s only fair you tell us. Seen as you seem to have such strong opinions on what everyone else is posting :)

What I think is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You and I, we have zero influence really on the plan. All we can do is make sure we do the best for our classes. Be brave and do what's right for them if you end up doing 'online' again. Don't allow yourself to be sidetracked by what others think. The children under your care deserve that you try to be your own person and please do your job. If you can't do that, at least have the good sense not to go broadcasting it on boards and other similar places.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

What I think is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You and I, we have zero influence really on the plan. All we can do is make sure we do the best for our classes. Be brave and do what's right for them if you end up doing 'online' again. Don't allow yourself to be sidetracked by what others think. The children under your care deserve that you try to be your own person and please do your job. If you can't do that, at least have the good sense not to go broadcasting it on boards and other similar places.

I’m not sure why you are so reluctant to say what you think would work. It’s a simple a question and I’m sure you have ideas, so I’m not sure why you refuse to give an opinion.

This looks particularly bad as you have such strong opinions on everything else. You never miss an opportunity to shoot down everyone else.

Anyway, really looks bad and reflects poorly on “moaning, always looking for problems teachers who have no solutions and only see problems”.

Carry on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Ah here there have been loads of easily implementable ideas on here, you only have to look back, the above poster has contributed to them and, by all accounts, has offered helpful addendums and criticisms....better we think of these issues now than when we are in the thick of it.

Your plan, as far as I remember from previous posts, was to do whatever the older staff told you to do regardless of the morality involved. People in glass houses and all.....

I’m not sure why you are so reluctant to say what you think would work. It’s a simple a question and I’m sure you have ideas, so I’m not sure why you refuse to give an opinion.

This looks particularly bad as you have such strong opinions on everything else. You never miss an opportunity to shoot down everyone else.

Anyway, really looks bad and reflects poorly on “moaning, always looking for problems teachers who have no solutions and only see problems”.

Carry on though.

You know what works, doing the best for the children in your care.

My opinions are clear on my various postings on here and other threads. You can go read them if you are that interested but I doubt you really are.
    You just like running down your own profession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭vid36

The ECDC report published yesterday recommends face coverings in schools as well as physical distancing and the usual measures.
    "In primary schools, use of face masks is recommended for teachers and other adults when physical
    distancing cannot be guaranteed, while it is not recommended for the students. In secondary schools, the use of
    face masks is recommended for both students and adults".

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-schools-transmission-August%202020.pdf

vid36 wrote: »
    The ECDC report published yesterday recommends face coverings in schools as well as physical distancing and the usual measures.
    "In primary schools, use of face masks is recommended for teachers and other adults when physical
    distancing cannot be guaranteed, while it is not recommended for the students. In secondary schools, the use of

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19-schools-transmission-August%202020.pdf

There it is in black and white. NPHET take their line from these guys. Wonder how long before the announcement is made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Not relevant but similar.
    Either way sums up my feelings on the issue.

https://twitter.com/jessica16_x/status/1289958146731995136?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Good now I've something to back me up if the principal says anything

• Registered Users Posts: 29,071 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

khalessi wrote:

I'd be wearing protection if I was a teacher, I know others in similar situations, and it looks like they're gonna go with visors, against their powers to be

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

How does this even make sense. Recent studies are showing that children aged 10 and above contract and spread the virus at the same rates as adults. We also know that ordinary face masks don't fully protect the wearer. It's the wearing of masks by everyone that protects each other, making it the far more effective approach. If droplets are more contained with each individual because of wearing a mask, and they're at the recommended distance from each other, then odds of transmission or at least a larger viral load are much lower. The average classroom in Ireland wasn't built for social distancing obviously, they're built to pack many children in a room. Masks should be required.
    Online curriculum should have been developed. People should stand up and speak up and demand better. I just read this morning that Mexico has cancelled in-school education and coordinated nationwide with their television networks to get broadcasted lessons in multiple languages to the people who don't have wifi. There will also be radio school for the remaining people without tv. No approach will be perfect but this half ar$ed attempt that everyone knows isn't going to work is complete b.s.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

Are our SD recommendations for schools ‘consistent’ with those in the community? .... I think not.... especially in primary.
    It’s 2 meters in the community.....
    Our guidelines don’t align with the ones from the ECDC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

Not relevant but similar.
    Either way sums up my feelings on the issue.

https://twitter.com/jessica16_x/status/1289958146731995136?s=20

Or if you're patient you'll get the same result, without wasting your time harrassing Ryanair, without abusing Ryanair staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

For those parents asking why they haven’t heard from their schools : the “ guidelines “ are very vague on detail and were released to schools at the same time as everyone else . School staff are trying to interpret them and come up with a plan that is as safe as possible, under what are , honestly , unsafe “ rules .”
    All over the country , staff are trying to measure spaces , organize safe procedures for drop off/ collections, isolation spaces , timetables and even Critical Incident policies which detail what to do in the event of a traumatic experience such as death of a student or staff member in the school community .

You can't possibly know what is going on all over the country. Admitted by the teachers here, a few principals have either washed their hands of it completely or aren't even requesting the required resources.
    khalessi wrote: »

Why would your principal say anything?
    Stateofyou wrote: »
    How does this even make sense. Recent studies are showing that children aged 10 and above contract and spread the virus at the same rates as adults.

It's very simple, they don't trust the children to not be at the masks all day long deeming them at best useless, at worst harmful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

GazzaL wrote: »
    Or if you're patient you'll get the same result, without wasting your time harrassing Ryanair, without abusing Ryanair staff.

Harassed?
    I didn't refuse to / delay refunding people who really need the cash.
    I'm glad someone did.
    They should respect uk consumer law.
    I didn't refuse to refund people.
    I didn't get pulled up by the Italian aviation authority,
    or threatened with a ban.

Oh and I didn't sue the government of this country which
    represents every man, woman and child here.
    They are a disgrace.
    WTF are you on about?

I'm happy that the ECDC has published information BEFORE it's necessary so that people can act on it,
    If only they did this in march we might not have had such a disaster with HCW getting infected. 8000+ infections. 32% of total.

https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1291601893077200896?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Lillyfae wrote: »
    You can't possibly know what is going on all over the country. Admitted by the teachers here, a few principals have either washed their hands of it completely or aren't even requesting the required resources.

It's very simple, they don't trust the children to not be at the masks all day long deeming them at best useless, at worst harmful.

This is why parents need communication from our kids' school. This is the fear and no one wants to send their kids back to school with a principle supposed to be in control of things and has "washed their hands of it" or isn't rising to the task. Besides which, it seems a job much too big for any one person. Seems strange that teachers and parents aren't more involved and drawing on each other's skills and strengths to help our kids and community.

To the comment about not trusting the children, I acknowledge it's more difficult with very young children. For one, give them more credit. My 9 year old likes to wear his and often puts and keeps it on in the car when it's unnecessary. We've all worn them all spring/summer in fact. Perhaps if the gov't and education leaders made better, quicker decisions regarding masks, people would have time to get their kids comfortable and adept at using masks correctly. :rolleyes: I mean, if other countries kids can do it then what's our excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Ordinarily if you don’t send your kids to school, social services will be called..

What happens in September however if i don’t send my kids back because i don’t have any faith in how covid will be managed within schools and i don’t want then bringing home the virus to high risk family members?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

Love this
    It is unknown how infectious asymptomatic children are.

So, eh, let's just assume they're not. Better sorry than safe, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Ordinarily if you don’t send your kids to school, social services will be called..

What happens in September however if i don’t send my kids back because i don’t have any faith in how covid will be managed within schools and i don’t want then bringing home the virus to high risk family members?

Nothing will happen- the 20 days is Child welfare thing. If the manpower and resources are available I’d imagine you’d be contacted to check up. I think a quick ‘we have vulnerable family members so are homeschooling’ explanation would suffice.

That was one poster who said that and based on their other posts at the time I had my doubts they were actually a teacher except in their own head.

As for requesting the required resources, where is this indicated on here? You do know that all this is meant to be centralised but the portal/app for it hasn't even been developed yet so procurement can't be facilitated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

That was one poster who said that and based on their other posts at the time I had my doubts they were actually a teacher except in their own head.

As for requesting the required resources, where is this indicated on here? You do know that all this is meant to be centralised but the portal/app for it hasn't even been developed yet so procurement can't be facilitated.

I wonder was that poster me. That was what we were told. They wanted nothing to do with it but have it sorted by reopening day.

Now however there has been no contact from the principal apart from them forwarding myself and other staff on the reopening roadmap. 3 days after it was published so I had well read it at that stage. There has been no contact this week. I have no idea what is happening now. I have parents contacting me about reopening as their emails to school email go unanswered. No word from the principal to the general parent body since end of March. Kids are worried, parents are worried, I'm worried as both a parent and a staff member.

The school is currently operating July provision. No administrator on site most of the time. (The principal) one bottle of hand sanitizer at the door, no masks being worn by anyone on staff. School has changed reopening day to the 31st now but thats all the information we have. Building work (non covid related) going on at moment and building is not fit for reopening under normal circumstances never mind now but principal living in lala land! This is very much a real situation. A lot of a back story here but hands are tied.

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I wonder was that poster me. That was what we were told. They wanted nothing to do with it but have it sorted by reopening day.

Now however there has been no contact from the principal apart from them forwarding myself and other staff on the reopening roadmap. 3 days after it was published so I had well read it at that stage. There has been no contact this week. I have no idea what is happening now. I have parents contacting me about reopening as their emails to school email go unanswered. No word from the principal to the general parent body since end of March. Kids are worried, parents are worried, I'm worried as both a parent and a staff member.

The school is currently operating July provision. No administrator on site most of the time. (The principal) one bottle of hand sanitizer at the door, no masks being worn by anyone on staff. School has changed reopening day to the 31st now but thats all the information we have. Building work (non covid related) going on at moment and building is not fit for reopening under normal circumstances never mind now but principal living in lala land! This is very much a real situation. A lot of a back story here but hands are tied.

Must have been a different poster as it wasn't you I remembered. That is horrendous. I know I've given out about my principal at times but they've generally been great. No contact with regards to anything Covid or school for nearly all the of July meant you could switch off. Full on again now which I know is annoying many in our staff as alot of it is stuff that has nothing to do with the general staff but I'm guessing they are trying to keep us in the loop. Issue being that due to the barrage of information people are switching off and not bothering to read what would be considered important. Tried saying it to them but the message isn't being received.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Newbienoob

What's in place for the higher risk staff group teachers/snas?

Newbienoob wrote: »

At the moment nothing. More guidance meant to be coming next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Newbienoob wrote: »

Unless you are in the very high risk category, nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We (as Parents) have heard nothing from either the Primary or Secondary Schools our children attend.
    No opening dates, nothing.

I have read the Plan but just can't see it working at all. I want our Kids to go back to school and they want to go back but I just can't see it working.

We have decided not to send them on the School Buses and will drive them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I have received no contact from my principal and one email from the deputy telling us we're losing our classrooms and that the government guidelines are excellent and should reassure us. That's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Same here.
    alroley wrote: »
    I have received no contact from my principal and one email from the deputy telling us we're losing our classrooms and that the government guidelines are excellent and should reassure us. That's it.

There's multiple examples for you, but sure they're all just pretend teachers probably.

Where is it supposed to be centralised? You told your principal that it wouldn't be possible to maintain a safe environment in your classroom and instead of trying to come up with something and/or requesting access to available funds they told you to just "pile em high".

• Advertisement

There's multiple examples for you, but sure they're all just pretend teachers probably.

Where is it supposed to be centralised? You told your principal that it wouldn't be possible to maintain a safe environment in your classroom and instead of trying to come up with something and/or requesting access to available funds they told you to just "pile em high".

Seeing as you are so enthralled with the Irish system from your base in Holland I'm assuming that you have read the document. Procurement of hand sanitiser, dispensers and other stuff is to be accessed via a central system. Document says this will be available sometime in August and delivery will be straight to the school. Alot of schools are meant to be open in some form for children from the 25th of August. That gives 11 working days after today. I'd be very surprised if whatever system they launch is fit for purpose.

As regards the "pile em high" comment. That's our way of saying we gotta fit them in. We don't have space for an overflow area, we also don't just happen to have staff floating around with nothing to do to supervise said area if we had it. Point being made by the principal was they'll be in school so figure it out.

If you want the dimensions and orientation of the room along with the number of students and the position of the IWB and have a go at arranging them to meet the current guidelines then be my guest. Others on here have taken on this challenge from other teachers on here and failed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement