Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Agree with this.

Also Question - if my Primary School child wants to wear a Mask in the Classroom, will this be allowed ?

No issue in my room, doubt most schools or teachers would have an issue but you'll always have a few. I'll be wearing one myself anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

kingbhome wrote: »
    No one is allowed to go near .my kids without my permission. If they want to take there temputure randomly, they may phone me so I can be present. That goes for pulling them aside if they they there's any suspicion about anything.
    The school is acting in loco parentis. If you are sending your children to school you are giving the school permission. If you want to micromanage your children you need to homeschool them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Here's what teachers will have to put up when schools re-open.....

https://www.facebook.com/ronan.lardner/videos/1750380771785021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Agree with this.

Also Question - if my Primary School child wants to wear a Mask in the Classroom, will this be allowed ?

We're allowing it in my school. Can't answer for your school but I presume most won't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

The school is acting in loco parentis. If you are sending your children to school you are giving the school permission. If you want to micromanage your children you need to homeschool them.

I think people are hiding behind face masks, no pun intended! It actually makes very little difference. Face masks will not be worn correctly. They will be discarded on desks, the floor, swapped users. So face masks have little to do with the issue of making schools safe. Schools are not compatible with safety and cv. Unless you are totally blind you can see this. So we are mitigating. But, this mitigation, unfortunately will put people's lives at risk.

I think the issue is we need to see that schools going back is largely a govt pr move and an economic decision, meaning wealth matters before lives. Children can be home schooled and very successfully. Where is the research stats being published re this. If parents are not able to do this there are private tutors who can take over. I think any parent who claims they can't do this due to work, should be able to afford a tutor. If they can't their job isn't that important and there are plenty of people who don't have the commitment of children to take the job. Simple really. Kids can meet for sport in pods or outside so there is no issue with missing friends, peers etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

Agree with this.

Hi Susan,

I'm not sure about my own school but would hope that wearing masks would be allowed if your child wants to wear one. I can't see them being required due to concerns of parents/guardians but I personally would have no issue with a child in my class wearing a mask if they wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

It seems clarification is being sought around the mixed messaging regarding mandatory mask wearing in enclosed spaces with the exception of schools. Good to see measured language from the unions rather than frustrated outbursts and easily manipulated soundbites.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40028270.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thanks for the replies.
    We have heard nothing from either the Primary or Secondary Schools yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks for the replies.
    We have heard nothing from either the Primary or Secondary Schools yet.

I’m secondary, we were allowing masks even before the closure. Cant see why we wouldn’t now

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭karkar athlete

Politically they can't be seen to row back on this. Schools will be fully opening is their mantra and come hell or high water they will be sticking to it.

McHugh did say that the state exams were going to be held 'by hook or by crook' but slowly and surely they rolled back on that.

There is very little in the guidance from the Department that is actually different to the interim guidelines as published on the 1st July by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) in relation to the re-opening of schools. Why it took them another three weeks to give actual guidance is beyond me. And if anything there was actually more in the interim guidelines then what was published by the department.
    xhomelezz wrote: »
    Think they after digging a hole for themselves. Should've put two or three scenarios up depending on situation at the end of the month.

There really should have been an option B in the event Phase 4 wasn't going to happen. Option A should have been a phased return whether it was certain classes or half in-half out scenario. At least you can test the waters and see how things go.

• Advertisement

McHugh did say that the state exams were going to be held 'by hook or by crook' but slowly and surely they rolled back on that.

There is very little in the guidance from the Department that is actually different to the interim guidelines as published on the 1st July by the Health Protection Surveillance Centre (HPSC) in relation to the re-opening of schools. Why it took them another three weeks to give actual guidance is beyond me. And if anything there was actually more in the interim guidelines then what was published by the department.

There really should have been an option B in the event Phase 4 wasn't going to happen. Option A should have been a phased return whether it was certain classes or half in-half out scenario. At least you can test the waters and see how things go.

If I'm not mistaken it was Leo that used that phrase.

They should have outlined 3 or 4 different scenarios but they didn't. The hole they have dug is too deep now to find a way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bettyoleary

It seems clarification is being sought around the mixed messaging regarding mandatory mask wearing in enclosed spaces with the exception of schools. Good to see measured language from the unions rather than frustrated outbursts and easily manipulated soundbites.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40028270.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true
    history and all teachers. Please don't be drawn into the mask debate. This isn't the issue. Masks will not protect anyone in an enclosed populated area for any length of time. They probably will do worse. What you need to realise is this virus spreads quickly in enclosed environments and will in schools. You need to demand your unions protect you. Kids do very well home schooled with teachers online. Don't believe anything else. Do your own research. Don't put your lives at risk. You have seen how nurses in uk have died doing the same. They are quickly forgotten. You won't be any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭BagheeraBlue

combat14 wrote: »
    Sharp increase in covid cases in ICU in last 24 hours ..

will believe reopening of schools when I see it .. they have already pushed back phase 4 twice now so far due to health concerns..

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-ireland-10-5169487-Aug2020/

you have already posted this clickbait rubbish on other threads

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Moragle

I don't agree with how they're trying to send kids back but however I am sick and tired of the whinging teachers in this thread. Do you honestly think doctors didn't see 30 people a day? For the first time I think you're finally getting that everyone in the country is tired of your hard done by crying.
    If you're so concerned about the kids, why dont you protest now. Too busy enjoying your holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Moragle wrote: »
    I don't agree with how they're trying to send kids back but however I am sick and tired of the whinging teachers in this thread. Do you honestly think doctors didn't see 30 people a day? For the first time I think you're finally getting that everyone in the country is tired of your hard done by crying.
    If you're so concerned about the kids, why dont you protest now. Too busy enjoying your holidays?

Ngaaaawwh, look at you! Typing and internetting like a grown-up..

Come on now, be honest, did you come up with this all by yourself? Hmm?

Edit: that's very unfair on teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

You don't agree with the plan, but it's not okay for the people that will face the repercussions to raise concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Holidays have been great thanks.

Did the doctor put all 30 patients in a room at the one time?

People discussing a safe return is hardly a crime

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

They will reopen fully but the chances of them having to row back and go to partial opening are quite high.

This is 100% correct. It’s madness fully reopening schools in September 2020.

Stay fully closed until January 2021 and then reevaluate. A partial opening at best Jan-June 2021 if things go well.

Aim to fully reopen ONLY AFTER A VACCINE hopefully in September 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

And if there is never a vaccine?

This is 100% correct. It’s madness fully reopening schools in September 2020.

Stay fully closed until January 2021 and then reevaluate. A partial opening at best Jan-June 2021 if things go well.

In fairness, they can do partial reopening safely now.

• Advertisement

alroley wrote: »
    In fairness, they can do partial reopening safely now.

I don’t think so.

Have you visited a hospital lately?

I don’t think so.

Have you visited a hospital lately?

The current plan for a full reopening at the end of this month is reckless.

However, reduced numbers in classes to allow 2m social distancing, PPE (including screens) would be as safe as any other business that has returned.

I am scared to return to school if the current plan goes ahead - I won't be able to see my parents until next summer. My Dad is high risk and has been suffering with the lasting impacts of Covid since April. I won't put his life at risk by coming home after being in a school with no protections/social distancing.

So basically you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You can disagree with the plan but teachers can't? You do see the hypocritical nature of that don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

alroley wrote: »
    The current plan for a full reopening at the end of this month is reckless.

However, reduced numbers in classes to allow 2m social distancing, PPE (including screens) would be as safe as any other business that has returned.

I am scared to return to school if the current plan goes ahead - I won't be able to see my parents until next summer. My Dad is high risk and has been suffering with the lasting impacts of Covid since April. I won't put his life at risk by coming home after being in a school with no protections/social distancing.

Unbelievable. If you are afraid you might cause harm to your father by doing your job, then you can easily resign your position.

So schools can return safely but pubs can’t?

Schools can go back fully but going into a hospital is banned. And if you are seeing someone very sick in hospital it’s like going onto the set of an Ebola movie.

Schools are not the same as shops or any other business. They are more like hospitals and we deal with the highest risk group - teenagers.

Madness going fully back. Dangerous madness which we’ll be sorry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Schools can go back fully but going into a hospital is banned. And if you are seeing someone very sick in hospital it’s like going onto the set of an Ebola movie.

Schools are not the same as shops or any other business.

In schools you can have a lot more control over the environment and generally the behaviour. Pubs are unpredictable and known to be very risky locations and hospitals go without saying.

Schools are not the same as shops or any other business. They are more like hospitals and we deal with the highest risk group - teenagers.

But think about all the children in your school who will continue to suffer if schools don't reopen in buildings in some form due to your colleagues and yourself not bothering to do much if any online stuff.

Unbelievable. If you are afraid you might cause harm to your father by doing your job, then you can easily resign your position.

Yeah, easily. Who needs an income anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Madness? They should have been back in May. Get a grip.

• Advertisement

is_that_so wrote: »
    In schools you can have a lot more control over the environment and generally the behaviour. Pubs are unpredictable and known to be very risky locations and hospitals go without saying.

This is simply not true in some schools.

And teenagers are the most dangerous group to be working with these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement