Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How will schools be able to go back in September? (Continued)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Denmark used other buildings, its great they can think outside the box

They were centrally procured by the government. That is a system.....figure it out yourselves.....no indemnifying anyone....thats is a different stategy

There will be a class action case in a few years when the full effects of the virus become apparent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Yup, you're a clown. I stand by that assessment. You suggested classes in pubs supervised by randomers who had been garda vetted, and outdoor tents with dishwashers, broadband and live screening capabilities. You are away with the fairies.

Denmark used alternative venus
    Blondini wrote: »
    Does your imaginary boss (probably your mother) in work (probably your box room) know you spend 23 hours a day embarrassing yourself on this thread?
    Jaysus, a few of the intellectuals have had their weetabix this morning. On fire :pac:

No sign of tent-boy though. Is he gone in for a factory reset or something?
    Look, I'm going to say this, with your repetitive copying and pasting etc, I think you need to get assessed for ASD. I'm deadly serious. I think you need help. No joke.

Quite the conversationalist arent you. Level 8 degree and a masters and this is the vile that spews out of your mouth

Why not stomp your feet and pout your lip aswell?

Frightening if you are in a role responsible for children.

You are an anonymous troll that spends all day on a teacher's forum. I am just back from sorting the school now, I've no idea what work you do that allows you to spend this much time copying and pasting to a forum

At 2nd level, students wiping down their own desks is about all I see working during the day if they're leaving one room to go to another. Wudnt have time to do much else.

Was trying to think this through in school today. Cleaning wipes are good but the cost would be insane in every kid is using 5 or more a day. Antibacterial sprays are not particularly healthy. I was thinking of buying eco spray for the lab, I should be there for most of my classes but for the normal classrooms it's going to be tricky

You are an anonymous troll that spends all day on a teacher's forum. I am just back from sorting the school now, I've no idea what work you do that allows you to spend this much time copying and pasting to a forum
    Give us your name address and school you work for. You are anonymous..

What practical things did you implement today while sorting the school? Any space issues? Did you get the uv light for disinfecting in the end?

• Advertisement

Give us your name address and school you work for. You are anonymous..

What practical things did you implement today while sorting the school? Any space issues? Did you get the uv light for disinfecting in the end?

You know I'm a teacher, no one knows what you do other than it's very important but you have lots of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Quite the conversationalist arent you. Level 8 degree and a masters and this is the vile that spews out of your mouth

Why not stomp your feet and pout your lip aswell?

Frightening if you are in a role responsible for children.

Look, this is a natural response to what I said. I stand by it. It's my area of expertise.
    Sorry if you took offence.

(Approx 8000 happy customers and counting btw :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Budget 2020 10.2 billion allocated for eduction
    22 april 2020 10 million funding for ICT in schools
    23 July 2020 375 million funding for schools reopening
    57 million to pay for the extra day in the leap year in 2020

Budget 2019 education funding increases from 360 million to 11.1 billion - record investment in education

Theres no lack of funding, there might be an issue with how the money is spent

Even your figures are wrong. Budget 2019 increased the education budget by 3.4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Was trying to think this through in school today. Cleaning wipes are good but the cost would be insane in every kid is using 5 or more a day. Antibacterial sprays are not particularly healthy. I was thinking of buying eco spray for the lab, I should be there for most of my classes but for the normal classrooms it's going to be tricky

Yeah, few bottles of eco spray and a bunch of cloths but they prob can't touch same bottles or cloths :)

If I'm on Period 1 and Period 2 with a class change, I'd have to get the students to wipe tables for last couple of mins before next gang land at the door.

Presume school wud have developed some procedure on this so everyone does same thing

Even your figures are wrong. Budget 2019 increased the education budget by 3.4%.

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2019-press-releases/PR19-10-09-1.html

09 October, 2019 – Record investment in Education and Skills with hundreds of new teachers and more than 1,000 additional special needs assistants

Budget increases by €360 million to €11.1 billion as special education, small schools and teaching principals benefit from new investment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Budget 2019 education funding increases from 360 million to 11.1 billion - record investment in education

Will engage on this with you, despite your constant attempts to troll.

Let me put this in simple terms for you:

A quick example, the ICT funding was actually money already allocated to schools, so you have been taken in by spin.

Total health budget for 2020 was to be over €17.4bn - the largest allocation ever, but still needed far more, even before COVID. Are you suggesting that health care should have done with their pre-Covid budgets?

Have no idea what your random addition of the leap year funding is about, are you saying this only applied to teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2019-press-releases/PR19-10-09-1.html

09 October, 2019 – Record investment in Education and Skills with hundreds of new teachers and more than 1,000 additional special needs assistants

Budget increases by €360 million to €11.1 billion as special education, small schools and teaching principals benefit from new investment

Go back and look at what I responded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Would it be possible to ask every pupil to bring in a packet of anti bac wipes ? They are cheap now unless you buy the branded ones and definitely in my area I am sure parents would be happy to give one pack . They could be stored and used over the term , a pack a week or whatever you need .

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

09 October, 2019 – Record investment in Education and Skills with hundreds of new teachers and more than 1,000 additional special needs assistants.

If my memory serves me correct, an additional 25,000 students entered the primary school system that year, far in excess of the numbers that were finishing...... additional teachers were to maintain the status quo....

Edited as I’ve checked the figures. The increases were seen in secondary schools that year and they weren’t in the region of 25k

Yeah, few bottles of eco spray and a bunch of cloths but they prob can't touch same bottles or cloths :)

If I'm on Period 1 and Period 2 with a class change, I'd have to get the students to wipe tables for last couple of mins before next gang land at the door.

Presume school wud have developed some procedure on this so everyone does same thing

I was thinking of wiping them myself. It's a lab so long benches, I'd be faster and safer doing it myself. It's very different in a lab though, I'm used to cleaning the surfaces between classes, I have sinks, paper towel dispenser etc.

I can't see kids being able to wipe down desks really. They may not do it properly, you'd need more clothes etc which is just more infection risk. My real concern is looking through the cleaning products in the school, none are really suitable for putting on surfaces a few times a day. Most I wouldn't use in my house

Will engage on this with you, despite your constant attempts to troll.

Let me put this in simple terms for you:

A quick example, the ICT funding was actually money already allocated to schools, so you have been taken in by spin.

Total health budget for 2020 was to be over €17.4bn - the largest allocation ever, but still needed far more, even before COVID. Are you suggesting that health care should have done with their pre-Covid budgets?

Have no idea what your random addition of the leap year funding is about, are you saying this only applied to teachers?

Education isn't doing with its pre covid budgets either. There was 375 million added for additional covid measures.

If it was already spent, the school still got it.

Health spending is mismanaged (unless you're going g to tell me it does take a billion to build a new hospital)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Can schools impose mandatory temp checks on kids and send kids home if they refuse or have a temp?

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    Can schools impose mandatory temp checks on kids and send kids home if they refuse or have a temp?

This was not recommended in the guidelines, I assume because the government don't want to pay for them in schools. They mentioned them but to say they weren't recommending even though it's an excellent indicator, more frequently a symptom than a cough. I'm trying to convince our school to get a thermometer gun at the moment. Even just for sick seeming kids

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I was thinking of wiping them myself. It's a lab so long benches, I'd be faster and safer doing it myself. It's very different in a lab though, I'm used to cleaning the surfaces between classes, I have sinks, paper towel dispenser etc.

I can't see kids being able to wipe down desks really. They may not do it properly, you'd need more clothes etc which is just more infection risk. My real concern is looking through the cleaning products in the school, none are really suitable for putting on surfaces a few times a day. Most I wouldn't use in my house

Only issue i see with doing it myself is I won't get 24 desks done before the next class arrive and I can't have them outside door while I'm cleaning

Also can't do it with previous class in the room as I'd be standing on top of them with no SD

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

No one is allowed to go near .my kids without my permission. If they want to take there temputure randomly, they may phone me so I can be present. That goes for pulling them aside if they they there's any suspicion about anything.

• Advertisement

I'm going to mark the corridor outside, 1m apart in the queue. Hopefully be enough time but your right, it's hard to see it being done correctly every time given the time pressure.

Rooms today were so right when set up. When you move to the computer, back to the board, it increases the teacher radius massively

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Lillyfae wrote: »
    *Hugs* Bananaleaf, and of course meeeeh. You are a very coherent poster and I really respect your views, clearheadedness and willingness to listen. I'm very sorry about your loved ones. I'm missing mine very much too.

Thank you for that message. It is very nice. Sorry that you are missing your family too.
    elefant wrote: »
    The primary schools re-opened for the general population gradually from the beginning of May, and then fully by the beginning of June.

We'll see how things pan out...

Yeah I guess we will do the same.
    Funny I've read other studies which show that over tens spread it the same as adults.. interesting times ahead but the one thing I hope for is that if and when the sh1t hits the fans in schools that the department step up the mark and don't leave individual schools hung out to dry.

Amen to that.
    You don't understand the situation you are talking about. Causualisation is not about teachers moving schools. It is about jobs being broken up in to 2/3 different low hours positions instead of 1 full time job.

Which is a really exploitative tactic by principals. If you are hanging around the school on half hours you have the time to take a team/set up a club/do a 'job' for the deputy
    Smacruairi wrote: »
    Yeah was just easier to reply to the one above me ðŸ˜

Typical lazy teacher :pac: (joke!!)
    Eh, not exactly.

The teachers would be giving the same lesson twice in the day as their class would be divided into two. The students would be losing out in 10 hours a week in school but could make up the time with extra homework.

A good few posts back I outlined a plan similar to this. I also went through the reasons it wouldn't work.
    It is a really good idea, but unfortunately if you are going to have half the kids at home for half the day, this snookers parents. They can't be at home to look after them. Yeah some will be fine, but a lot won't.

I'll find the post and link it here so you can have a read of it.

Here you go https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114219525&postcount=134

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Would it be possible to change the school day. 1/2 of the students in from say 8 - 12.30, break for a half hour to clean and sanitize. The other 1/2 in from 13.00 to 17.30. Try and keep siblings in at same times if possible.

Could rotate every couple of weeks. Not ideal for parents but would reduce number of children in schools, numbers coming and going together, lunches etc. Could maintain social distancing with smaller class sizes. Primary students would lose out on about 40 hours per month.

The time could be made up with some extra home work and remove non essential subjects for the short term.
    What subjects are non-essential?

At primary, there's no way children would maintain focus from 13.00 to 17.30, having being at home that morning. and good luck getting children out of bed and into school for 8 am- though that's often more down to the parent!

Trying to go according to siblings sounds good, but in reality, would be extremely difficult , infants to second would be exhausted if they were to be at school until 17.30, even if they weren't starting until 13.00, so would need the morning sessions all of the time. There's a reason teachers try to do " the 3 Rs" in the mornings.

Trying to schedule PT meetings is hard enough, trying to accommodate class groupings/ buses/pick ups/drop offs would be a logistical nightmare in most schools. SNA access is usually shared these day so again, you'd have difficulties there.

Considering that many working parents are, being honest (and non-judgemental,) looking on schools to provide child care, a "week on/week off" would be easier for them and for the children as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

I'm calling it now.

With the current numbers, and the pattern of spread across the country, I think the decision on FULL reopening will be reconconsidered by the experts.

Just wondering from the parents here have any of the primary schools been in touch asking for the kids to bring their own small bottle of sanitizer and maybe wipes to bring with them to school? I'm thinking about giving them to my kids but have no information from their school so just wondering has anyone else heard anything?
    I'd buy them. Schools are only getting €10 a head for all of the extra cleaning regimes and materials, so one way or another, parents are probably going to end up paying for them -on top of all the other costs :mad:

kingbhome wrote: »
    No one is allowed to go near .my kids without my permission. If they want to take there temputure randomly, they may phone me so I can be present. That goes for pulling them aside if they they there's any suspicion about anything.

The guidelines state if I believe a child has symptoms they will be isolated. These are the government guidelines so if you send your child to school you are agreeing to these. I know most parents in my school wouldn't have a problem with checking a child's temperature thankfully

Schools are to procure using a centralised system that is yet to be developed/launched.
    But will have to pay for any of the materials, as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm calling it now.

With the current numbers, and the pattern of spread across the country, I think the decision on FULL reopening will be reconconsidered by the experts.

Yeah looks that way.

People are fed up, they've gone on holidays, they're sick of the masks, they don't have the virus and none of their friends do so they're going to parties and pubs and not social distancing. Numbers look to be steadily increasing.

I just hope the government don't make a shock decision to open them to prove a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Theres no lack of funding, there might be an issue with how the money is spent

Glad to see you can copy and paste. You appear to be posting within tent, with intent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,108 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The guidelines state if I believe a child has symptoms they will be isolated. These are the government guidelines so if you send your child to school you are agreeing to these. I know most parents in my school wouldn't have a problem with checking a child's temperature thankfully

The vast majority of parents would be absolutely fine with a child temperature being checked . I think most people know its in the childs best interest
    Creche staff often take temps and make sure a child is comfortable .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement