Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

MadYaker wrote: »
    People dying is sad whatever, but people die all the time that’s not the reason for the restrictions. It’s because of our pathetic health system capacity. 18 people in ICU beds sounds like a small number but compared how many beds are free it’s actually a big number.

The test and trace program is sufficient it’s the health system that is screwing us. It’s one of the reasons sweden can plough on like they have with all the people who’ve died. One positive I hope to come from this a proper health service in the future with excess capacity.

Absolutely no way will that happen.

Austerity doesn't correlate to improvements in health service funding

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0928/1168014-covid-19-figures/

So NEPHET are now saying 70 cases in Cork are linked to pubs and restaurants...

Anyone any information about this. Considering about a week ago they had no data and they suddenly do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

FrStone wrote: »

Anyone any information about this. Considering about a week ago they had no data and they suddenly do now.

All the manky students around the brog last week made me cry with nostalgia :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Penfailed

VG31 wrote: »
    ICU numbers are 16 now, 2 people discharged in the last 24 hours. Still 100 people in hospital. Hospitalisations seem to be fairly stable considering the rise in cases.

In the north the numbers two weeks ago were 20 in hospital, no one in ICU. A week ago, 30 in hospital, no one in ICU. Now it's 51 in hospital with 6 in ICU.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Allinall

I love it when they come out with the ... Per one hundred thousand figure .
    Fxxk sake there's only a couple of cities in the whole country with a population over 100,000 .
    But it's better for their pure drama if they relate to saying per 100,000 rather than the ACTUAL number .
    Even the local radio station was at it this morning with the town of loughrea .
    Quoting figures per hundred thousand .... Fxxk sake loughrea has just over 5,000 people living in it .

It makes the numbers relevant.

It would be pointless to say ( as an example)

50 cases in Dublin
    40 cases in Carrick-on-Shannon.

Cases per 100,000 are more meaningful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭3xh

Penfailed wrote: »
    In the north the numbers two weeks ago were 20 in hospital, no one in ICU. A week ago, 30 in hospital, no one in ICU. Now it's 51 in hospital with 6 in ICU.

And penfailed, not to labour this point but those 6 in ICU, are they 6 Covid patients whose condition worsened or are they patients of other serious ailments that ended up in ICU and who also have Covid?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

3xh wrote: »
    And penfailed, not to labour this point but those 6 in ICU, are they 6 Covid patients whose condition worsened or are they patients of other serious ailments that ended up in ICU and who also have Covid?

Genuine question.

That information isn't available to public

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I’d go out on a limb here and suggest that if those 16 cases were all in ICU because of covid and not for another reason that information would quickly be public! NPHET know the answer to that question so you have to ask why don’t they clarify?

Thank you. Exactly.

But they’re happy to say X cases in ICU in the same breath as Covid.

I don’t want to know ‘Mr. Jones from Main Street is in ICU after falling off his ladder. He’s also Covid positive’

I just want the Glynn’s and co to admit, don’t worry folks, none of the six in ICU are there because of Covid, etc. *I know these figures relate to NI.

The authorities are being disingenuous by not clearly stating what their figures mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,467 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I’d go out on a limb here and suggest that if those 16 cases were all in ICU because of covid and not for another reason that information would quickly be public! NPHET know the answer to that question so you have to ask why don’t they clarify?

I don't get the conspiracy here.
    Why would scientists and doctors want to retain restrictions any longer than they absolutely needed to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Penfailed wrote: »

Weren't there outbreaks inside Hospitals? People in Hospital and ICU (haematology wards) in 2 hospitals got infected with Covid while inside Hospital.
    It caused most of the recent deaths too.

Edit- here's the story https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54247628

kippy wrote: »
    Why would scientists and doctors want to retain restrictions any longer than they absolutely needed to?

I don’t think there is a conspiracy, I do think they have got a sense of power and have lost the run of themselves, megalomaniacs if you will! They know they’re the ones calling the shots!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

3xh wrote: »
    Thank you. Exactly.

But they’re happy to say X cases in ICU in the same breath as Covid.

I don’t want to know ‘Mr. Jones from Main Street is in ICU after falling off his ladder. He’s also Covid positive’

I just want the Glynn’s and co to admit, don’t worry folks, none of the six in ICU are there because of Covid, etc. *I know these figures relate to NI.

The authorities are being disingenuous by not clearly stating what their figures mean.
    In the hospital I work in for the first wave, out of approximately 20 ICU patients that had covid, 19 were from the community who presented with Covid as their primary pathology, worsened and ended up in ICU and 1 was a patient who contracted it in hospital after a surgery and had to be escalated to ICU.

Most elderly patients who are on their last legs and on deaths door actually don't end up going to ICU at all.Covid or no covid.

The government have dug themselves into a bit of a hole here... it wouldn’t reflect well on them at all if they suddenly admitted that the death rate is tiny and way overstated and we crashed the economy for no real reason.

They’ll keep this thing going for months and try to claim they saved thousands of lives.

Haha! The doctors and scientists aren’t retaining the restrictions.

NPHET and it’s very public face, Glynn together with the current government are. And they’ve very firmly painted their colours to the mast now. There’s no going back. Not without something tangibly new that they can say ‘this is new news, this is different, we can change tack now’ to the masses.

Many doctors have spoken out, also. They get labelled failed doctors, basically. Dr. Feeney is but one example.

For every one doctor that speaks out against these restrictions, do we think that’s it? That’s them all? No one else in labs, in wards, in the Dail, agrees with them?! They’re too scared to speak out, is why.

That’s just the doctors and scientists. The media need Covid for advertising. Money. That is all. Click bait.

I don’t think there is a conspiracy, I do think they have got a sense of power and have lost the run of themselves, megalomaniacs if you will! They know they’re the ones calling the shots!

Why though? It's not power..why would they like to see their friends, family, neighbours, the entire country subjected to these restrictions if they are not needed?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-390-new-cases-and-no-further-deaths-as-health-chiefs-consider-moving-five-more-counties-to-level-3-39568867.html

The fact that Clare is being considered for level 3 indicates what obtuse swine NPHET truly are. We have almost unfailingly been in low single figures daily these past few weeks. They might as well have publicans crawl over broken glass at this stage. Contemptible idiocy.

In the hospital I work in for the first wave, out of approximately 20 ICU patients that had covid, 19 were from the community who presented with Covid as their primary pathology, worsened and ended up in ICU and 1 was a patient who contracted it in hospital after a surgery and had to be escalated to ICU.

Most elderly patients who are on their last legs and on deaths door actually don't end up going to ICU at all.Covid or no covid.

Thank you. Very interesting.

Can I ask, over what timeframe were those 19 in your ICU? As in, were they drip feeding through the ICU over a number of weeks or did they all present in one go, effectively?

And secondly, how many of the 19 survived?

Why though? It's not power..why would they like to see their friends, family, neighbours, the entire country subjected to these restrictions if they are not needed?

It was mentioned in the post above yours, but NPHET have put themselves in a corner. They can’t (or won’t) be seen to suddenly change strategy now and I do think they disregard any information that doesn’t fit a certain narrative!

It was mentioned in the post above yours, but NPHET have put themselves in a corner. They can’t (or won’t) be seen to suddenly change strategy now and I do think they disregard any information that doesn’t fit a certain narrative!

So, what are people asking them to do?

• Advertisement

What do you mean? People can’t ask them anything! They are unaccountable and have no public mandate. If they were to listen to me tho, I would ask that they critically review all decisions, use verifiable data when making these decisions, bring in some dissenting voices and when making a recommendation to government provide arguments both for and against such recommendation! And I’d also ask them to stop speaking to the media and report to government only

Honestly, if they changed tack with nothing new to hang their hat on, I’d say ‘thank you, well done, this will be appreciated by the country I’m sure. Now let’s make this work’

They’ll get serious flack from the other side obviously but with the same careful media management shown to date, they’ll get through the worst. I’m not so sure the 3 government parties would fair so well at the next GE though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭jackboy

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/coronavirus-ireland-390-new-cases-and-no-further-deaths-as-health-chiefs-consider-moving-five-more-counties-to-level-3-39568867.html

The fact that Clare is being considered for level 3 indicates what obtuse swine NPHET truly are. We have almost unfailingly been in low single figures daily these past few weeks. They might as well have publicans crawl over broken glass at this stage. Contemptible idiocy.

That is surely a typo regarding Clare.

Ireland’s approach is very clear and the government/NPHET/media are all onboard.

Every other day we have articles from some young lad that was supposedly “knocked for six” by Covid and wants to warn others of its dangers. Wonder if they are paid for the interview? Also funny how we don’t hear from the 90+ percent who had no issues other than a few sniffles.

If a bunch of cases come from a pub or a house party you can sure that Glynn will have all of the data. But they never reveal how many cases got into nursing homes or started in meat factories.

The deaths include probable/possible and a huge number of WITH Covid. No further details on how many were likely to live much longer.

The hospital and ICU figures also include WITH Covid. It’s unknown how many are primarily in there for other reasons.

Anyone willing to scratch beneath the surface even a tiny bit can see the narrative we are been fed.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭alentejo

Ireland’s approach is very clear and the government/NPHET/media are all onboard.

Every other day we have articles from some young lad that was supposedly “knocked for six” by Covid and wants to warn others of its dangers. Wonder if they are paid for the interview? Also funny how we don’t hear from the 90+ percent who had no issues other than a few sniffles.

If a bunch of cases come from a pub or a house party you can sure that Glynn will have all of the data. But they never reveal how many cases got into nursing homes or started in meat factories.

The deaths include probable/possible and a huge number of WITH Covid. No further details on how many were likely to live much longer.

The hospital and ICU figures also include WITH Covid. It’s unknown how many are primarily in there for other reasons.

Anyone willing to scratch beneath the surface even a tiny bit can see the narrative we are been fed.

I get the impression that the gov want to close down the hospitality industry until next spring (or summer) at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

As I said in the COVID thread, a good friend of mine had it, recovered and is totally fine. She's 22.

Another person I know whose mother had it. She was in her mid 80s. Recovered fine and got p*ssed and did karaoke last weekend with her daughter.

Stories like this should be given media attention but I doubt it because then it would ruin the doom and gloom narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

FrStone wrote: »

They said they would ask a a small sample of contract tracers to ask questions beyond 48 hours for information gathering purposes.

70 cases in Cork ‘linked’ to pubs and restaurants - for all we know that ‘link’ could be that they had visited a pub or restaurant in the last week, not that they had contracted it there.

Surely if they had contacted it in the same small number of pubs and restaurants those premises would have been closed immediately and they would be a known cluster?

Stinks of feebly justifying shutting them down with little substantive data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Weren't there outbreaks inside Hospitals? People in Hospital and ICU (haematology wards) in 2 hospitals got infected with Covid while inside Hospital.
    It caused most of the recent deaths too.

Edit- here's the story https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-54247628

Yep. A group of nurses had a party...allegedly.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Not permanent, you can always get another job and sure here's 350 a week until you do

Again, not permanent. The health authorities have a lot to answer for in terms of putting a freeze on things like cancer screenings etc, but everyone else.......so you've to wait til next year to get married, boo fcuking hoo?

Gimme a break, are you saying that's comparable to people losing their parents, grandparents and relatives FOREVER?

Earlier in the year that was the case, and I wasn't a big fan of it. However the new 5 level living plan allows 10 people attend a funeral at level 5, with increases at every level, so that point is moot.

No problem, I'll say it to you outside my Granny-in-law's gaff and you can tell her to start saying her goodbyes because you're only getting 350 a week and have to do up the auld CV and can't go the pub and *checks notes* some lads can't be there when their kid was born (a practice that was banned in her time).

There you have it. No interest in gaining some perspective on the death rates and no interest in understanding the negative consequences of the covid response, just another poster with tunnel vision who cannot conceive of anything outside their covid bubble. Who cares about the hundreds of thousands of people affected, they don't matter in the slightest.

It kinda reminds me of the evangelicals who cry about abortion but couldn't care less about helping the children once they are born, its the same sort of nasty myopic view.

I read a harrowing account today of a lady who went into hospital for the birth of her child only to find that it was going to be stillborn. She had to suffer that alone, her husband had not been allowed to join her. Why don't you stand in front of her and tell her "gimme a break".

One issue voters really are the worst.

• Advertisement

I think the plan now is to lock down as much of the country as they can feasibly get away with so that there’s scope to open up around Christmas.

Rather than the other way around.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement