Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭JRant

MadYaker wrote: »
    People dying is sad whatever, but people die all the time that’s not the reason for the restrictions. It’s because of our pathetic health system capacity. 18 people in ICU beds sounds like a small number but compared how many beds are free it’s actually a big number.

The test and trace program is sufficient it’s the health system that is screwing us. It’s one of the reasons sweden can plough on like they have with all the people who’ve died. One positive I hope to come from this a proper health service in the future with excess capacity.

It's a disgrace what's playing out now. Every winter we have a "crisis" only this year they think by crippling the country it will get them through it without actually having to fix it.

On the ICU numbers, do we actually know what the capacity is? It seems to change with the weather.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

The government have dug themselves into a bit of a hole here... it wouldn’t reflect well on them at all if they suddenly admitted that the death rate is tiny and way overstated and we crashed the economy for no real reason.

They’ll keep this thing going for months and try to claim they saved thousands of lives.

I don't buy into this thinking at all, if that was the case it's pretty remarkable that every government is taking the same approach. You'd think there would be at least a few that would hold their hands up and say "We got it wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

AdamD wrote: »
    Excess deaths are actually at about 850-900, and maybe even lower by now.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0828/1161895-excess-mortality-figures/

Following on from this, while bored I checked RIP from July 1st to September 28th on RIP to compare 2020 with 2019.

It display 25 extra pages of notices for the period in 2019.

That roughly was 1000 notices extra in 2019 for that period, now thats not accurate of course, many are duplicated etc

It will be interesting to see however, what the official excess, if any, turns out to be.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

3xh wrote: »
    I think the plan now is to lock down as much of the country as they can feasibly get away with so that there’s scope to open up around Christmas.
    Whatever about now, compliance would be out the window if they tried further lockdowns/restrictions at Christmas. It's definitely easier to do now, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

3xh wrote: »
    Thank you. Very interesting.

Can I ask, over what timeframe were those 19 in your ICU? As in, were they drip feeding through the ICU over a number of weeks or did they all present in one go, effectively?

And secondly, how many of the 19 survived?

Slow and stead admissions as the numbers went up. Not in one go really.

About 75% survived.

• Advertisement

Charlie Bird is on Claire Byrne Show at 10.30 protesting at the restrictions, the hysteria, the nightly figures .........yet so few deaths ! Should be good.

One person per hour dies from cancer on this country , far far higher than Covid. Most people getting Covid now are very young. Yet all we hear is that NPHET is very concerned and the next 2 weeks are critical !

Charlie Bird is on Claire Byrne Show at 10.30 protesting at the restrictions, the hysteria, the nightly figures .........yet so few deaths ! Should be good.

One person per hour dies from cancer on this country , far far higher than Covid. Most people getting Covid now are very young. Yet all we hear is that NPHET is very concerned and the next 2 weeks are critical !

New found respect for Charlie.

Context exactly, people died in the same numbers last year

Claire comes across an arrogant interviewer, let Charlie talk

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Looking at Charlie, he has higher chance of survival than Dr Motherway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

One thing I know is, I'm glad I quit twitter. Just went on to see a video and the hysteria is something unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

New found respect for Charlie.

Context exactly, people died in the same numbers last year

Claire comes across an arrogant interviewer, let Charlie talk

She’s a scripted vanilla idiot. Perfect rte canon fodder and eye candy.

• Advertisement

“That terrible term herd immunity” ...give me strength.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

road_high wrote: »
    “That terrible term herd immunity” ...give me strength.....

She wasn’t questioned on that either. Why is herd immunity a terrible term? Is this not what a vaccine’s goal is?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭bloopy

Charlie is about to get cancelled.
    Not wrong though.
    Coverage and hype by RTE et al is bordering on abuse at this stage.

She wasn’t questioned on that either. Why is herd immunity a terrible term? Is this not what a vaccine’s goal is?

Absolutely- vaccination is the ultimate herd immunity. Byrne the dimwit wouldn’t even cop that because she agrees with her (but of course doesn’t know why!).

bloopy wrote: »
    Charlie is about to get cancelled.
    Not wrong though.
    Coverage and hype by RTE et al is bordering on abuse at this stage.

Yes they’ll have to paint him into a Jim Corr trump lover. Questioning of mania not allowed

The technology is dreadful tonight on Byrne real amateur stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

Claire Byrne hasn't much sympathy for business and people's livelihoods, she cut some poor man off who was explaining his situation. That's Claire Byrne who earns close to €200k per year.

RTÉ really are in their own little bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

We're not a herd for a start. A term normally used for animals.

Lundstram wrote: »
    Claire Byrne hasn't much sympathy for business and people's livelihoods. That's Claire Byrne who earns close to €200k per year.

She just dismissed deaths related to untreated causes for 6 months like a "sociopath"

Heard that word earlier

Lundstram wrote: »
    Claire Byrne hasn't much sympathy for business and people's livelihoods. That's Claire Byrne who earns close to €200k per year.

None of these clowns do. Not one of them on the PUP, that’s something for the “other” peasants to tolerate #allinittogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,934 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Cancer isn’t highly contagious. Covid you can avoid with proper and responsible choices, cancer too but less so.

Cancer you can get even if you observe a lifestyle that is prescribed as healthy. My close friend who died last year the perfect example.

Covid you can get if have a seriously lax will or total aversion to playing by the restrictions, recommendations... if you are careless enough to get it ( yes not everybody was ) but those who were can certainly be careless enough to pass it on too.

Lockdowns dont work

Interesting

This lad has burned Claire real bad

We're not a herd for a start. A term normally used for animals.

But we are animals (mammals). You may get used to it as it’s our only defence against a viral infection either via vaccine or immunity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Can someone get RTÉ a proper IT / technician? Their video links from the middle of Dublin City are ridiculously bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭bloopy

This guy is doing damage to the current narrative.
    And all Claire can do is go back to what if things possibly get worse in some undefined point in the future?

Can someone get RTÉ a proper IT / technician? Their video links from the middle of Dublin City are ridiculously bad.

Shocking. I watch English news channels sometimes and this hardly happens at all. Three in a row of fcuked up receptions on the Byrne show. Shows very poor set up and technological planning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Will this be online to watch? I'm off to bed as I'm up early but want to see it.

Edit: oh it's rte. Cool

Turn off the bloody tv then and get him involved in other stuff

Strumms wrote: »
    Cancer isn’t highly contagious. Covid you can avoid with proper and responsible choices, cancer too but less so.

Cancer you can get even if you observe a lifestyle that is prescribed as healthy. My close friend who died last year the perfect example.

Covid you can get if have a seriously lax will or total aversion to playing by the restrictions, recommendations... if you are careless enough to get it ( yes not everybody was ) but those who were can certainly be careless enough to pass it on too.

Well if I had a choice between Cancer or Covid , I’d pick Covid anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Love how Claire just trivialised that Kid's anxiety about Covid.

Now over to how to learn how to host a tea party safely with Covid....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement