Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,677 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

osarusan wrote: »
    Jaysus.

I'm not convinced that the polls are all that accurate, but the idea that Trump will win 49/50 states, or will win the popular vote by 18 million votes, is laughable.

Yeah not a hope, Republicans don’t even own enough of those states to blatantly rig the election in. He only won 2016 by what, 75,000 strategically placed votes in key districts, but still lost the popular vote by close to 3 million nationally. And that was before he did any of the scandalous things that have happened during his tenure, and he was seen as the protest, anti-establishment vote with Scalia’s seat in the balance.

Winning the popular vote now by 18 million? 49 states? Snowballs chance in hell. 2016 taught us all to be cautious with predictions but I’ll bet the house and sleep well for the next 97 days that will never happen.

(And that’s a figure of speech, calm down gambling addicts)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I wouldn't even pay notice to that 49/50 comment, just another obvious case of signalling their virtuous loyalties. You see it almost every day from one truno supporter or another here, it's kind of pathetic but also entirely expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,010 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Overheal wrote: »
    I missed a lot of this hearing at the doctors office today but from what I’m seeing now there’s bipartisan grilling of these tech firms they just have very different agenda: Democrats are grilling for instance, Facebook on giving legitimacy to debunked Covid nonsense from Trump et al. And simultaneously Republicans are bludgeoning these groups for censoring debunked Covid nonsense from Trump et al :rolleyes: “persecution complex” as one Democrat just put it.

The Republican side of the room is primarily outraged at google for conspiracy theories that they are orchestrating their search engine to help Biden win. Democrats are focusing ire at Apple for removing apps that compete with services that Apple then bakes into iOS, like ScreenTime.

It’s hard to see what useful takeaways will come from this at the end of the hearing.

I drifted in and out, was some ok questions from Republicans tbf , but sadly to much dumb **** looking for twitter retweets mainly from Gaetz and the dude who asked about how tricky it was to find gatewaypundit onlin:rolleyes:e.

Oddly enough the same chap (not Gaetz) had an ok question on China towards the end.

Ideally each of the four should have been grilled individually.

It was good to see them been grilled, but I don't see much happening any of them no matter who wins in November as they are simply to powerful. Warren or possibly Bernie could have been a real thorn in their side, but Biden and most certainly Trump will for the most part leave them to run wild in peace.

No admission from them that The Gateway Pundit does spotty if not utterly terrible fact checking and that’s why they’ve been troubled on platforms like Facebook, not because of their political editorial slant. And up until Tucker Carlson split from the Daily Caller, he was one of the founders of it, and spent years sharing their “news” in his show broadcasts with little mention of his affiliation to them, just him reporting what he said, effectively, via sock puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

This will be interesting. Not the tweet itself, it's standard fare from Trump, but the justifications from his fans who will doubtlessly feel compelled to explain why elections should be delayed.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288818160389558273

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

This will be interesting. Not the tweet itself, it's standard fare from Trump, but the justifications from his fans who will doubtlessly feel compelled to explain why elections should be delayed.

lets pretend the shoe is on the other foot, that the donald is polling very well, would he still be requesting this?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288818160389558273

https://twitter.com/JimMacMillan/status/1288832460353044480?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    lets pretend the shoe is on the other foot, that the donald is polling very well, would he still be requesting this?

Haha of course not. He's claimed that he's leading in all his own polling but has now said he wants to postpone the election and has also changed his campaign manager. He's so transparent that Casper the Friendly Ghost has nothing on him.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is pure deflection for his base.

He wants them raging about "ELECTION FRAUD" and not noticing the utterly appalling Economic news that came out today.
    The US economy shrank by a 32.9% annual rate in the April-to-June quarter as the country grappled with cut backs in spending during the pandemic.

It was the deepest decline since the government began keeping records in 1947 and three times more severe than the prior record of 10% set in 1958.

Reduced spending on services such as healthcare drove the fall.

Economists have said they expected to see the sharpest drop in the second quarter, with recovery thereafter.

But as virus cases in the US surge and some areas re-impose restrictions on activity, the rebound is showing signs of stalling.

Yep the power to alter the time and place of elections is the remit of Congress. We've had elections throughout the Civil War, even. The actual odds of postponing the election are statistically null.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Yep the power to alter the time and place of elections is the remit of Congress. We've had elections throughout the Civil War, even. The actual odds of postponing the election are statistically null.

Oh but I'm sure we'll get dictator accusations and all the usual hoopla to his nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Oh but I'm sure we'll get dictator accusations and all the usual hoopla to his nonsense.

to be fair, theres not much rattling around upstairs, for him to make it to that position

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    to be fair, theres not much rattling around upstairs, for him to make it to that position

I know that, tell that to the weird outraged Trump mob who still think he's trying to be a dictator.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Some of you may have seen this tweet of Herman Cain at the Tulsa rally. He died today of Covid

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1274489632886075398

I know that, tell that to the weird outraged Trump mob who still think he's trying to be a dictator.

To be fair, that he can't legally do the things he wants to do doesn't extinguish the fact that he wants to do them, which includes delaying an election because, ultimately, he thinks he will not like the outcome.

Some of you may have seen this tweet of Herman Cain at the Tulsa rally. He died today of Covid

https://twitter.com/THEHermanCain/status/1274489632886075398

Yep, he tested negative as a precondition for attending the rally (secret service and VIPs were all tested, his was negative at the time), and then, 12 days later on July 2nd he was checked into hospital for Covid-19.

edit: he had tested positive on June 29 and admitted to hospital on July 2nd, https://www.foxnews.com/politics/herman-cain-hospitalized-after-testing-postive-for-coronavirus

To be fair, that he can't legally do the things he wants to do doesn't extinguish the fact that he wants to do them, which includes delaying an election because, ultimately, he thinks he will not like the outcome.

Plus his overt displays of power via the police and his fawning over dictators. He might not be able to become a dictator but he seems to wish he could be one.

This isn't a Trump issue. Governments and leaders around the world try to act outside of their boundaries when they want to. The system of courts and lower and upper houses prevents this from happening.

This isn't a Trump issue. Governments and leaders around the world try to act outside of their boundaries when they want to. The system of courts and lower and upper houses prevents this from happening.

It is a Trump issue, as it's Trump who is advocating for a delay of election.

He should really stop saying dictatorial stuff though. I know he's a clown but he's also the President of the US. Publicly suggesting (and not joking either) that elections should be suspended is dictatorial no matter how you look at it. His inability to do it doesn't change his intent.

• Advertisement

It is a Trump issue, as it's Trump who is advocating for a delay of election.

But he can't is the point. Story over. Just because an election is delayed doesn't make him a dictator anyway.

He should really stop saying dictatorial stuff though. I know he's a clown but he's also the President of the US. Publicly suggesting (and not joking either) that elections should be suspended is dictatorial no matter how you look at it. His inability to do it doesn't change his intent.

People can't wait to adjudge this as dictatorial. It's part of the hysteria around Trump that we've seen.

Britain had no election for 8 years because of WW I and 10 years because of WW II.

But he can't is the point. Story over. Just because an election is delayed doesn't make him a dictator anyway.

Delaying elections until they can be secured is a bit open ended though. It leaves a lot of scope to not have elections at all. Not unlike those temporary states of emergency that go on forever in shíthole countries.

Okay. ?

Nobody in here today was calling Trump a dictator except you, implying it as a straw man, so I'm not sure what else your point was put to come in here and defeat a story you've propped up by yourself. The only other mention of dictators is direct prompt from your strawman.
    People can't wait to adjudge this as dictatorial.
    Again: who? You're the first to mention dictators today.

Delaying elections until they can be secured is a bit open ended though. It leaves a lot of scope to not have elections at all. Not unlike those temporary states of emergency that go on forever in shíthole countries.

Does it matter anyway? Almost half of Americans don't even vote.

They can't see a difference between the two parties.

Okay. ?

Nobody in here today was calling Trump a dictator except you, implying it as a straw man, so I'm not sure what else your point was put to come in here and defeat a story you've propped up by yourself. The only other mention of dictators is direct prompt from your strawman. Again: who? You're the first to mention dictators today.

The post above.

Does it matter anyway? Almost half of Americans don't even vote.

They can't see a difference between the two parties.

Who do you think you are speaking for, suddenly, and why?

The post above.

Which again, is just a response in kind to your straw man. And calls the gesture 'dictatorial,' doesn't argue he is a dictator.

Which again, is just a response in kind to your straw man. And calls the gesture 'dictatorial,' doesn't argue he is a dictator.

You know that we hear people calling Trump a dictator, time and time again.

• Advertisement

Who do you think you are speaking for, suddenly, and why?

Look at the facts.. almost half don't bother to vote. My reckoning is that has something to do with the lack of difference between the two parties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement