Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,901 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/mediaite/

A horrendously poor news news "organisation "
    Blatantly biased with a very poor record on reporting facts.

Lefty version of Breitbart

Engaged in ad hominem tbh. It is a blog with personal slants yes. Factual errors? Your website lists none.

They aren’t a journalism outfit really. Not much of a news organization more so than an aggregator of others news. They report what’s in the news media, they go straight off what’s recorded video and audio usually, or people’s public statements and tweets, there’s little room for them to lie. They aren’t writing exposé on “sources familiar with the matter” etc. so I’m not convinced you know what you’re on about you just see the bias site say their record is “mixed” and that has you convinced they’re as bad as Breitbart (which just, no, absolutely not)

It’s rare you can’t just click through to their source material and ignore their summaries of events. Just watch the videos etc. they provide. Nobody is asking you to take Tommy Christopher or Dan Abrams word on what happened, they bring the receipts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Obama cynically used a funeral eulogy as a campaign speech .
    Thats a really low thing to do .
    If Trump did that...... you know the rest

Well done there Mister. I like how you had to wait until the Fox News evening talking points made their way through social media to make that point. The eulogy was yesterday evening and yet you had to wait until the frozen-foods heir told you what to think.

That former dicky-bow aficionado knows well what Lewis stood for and knows that Obama said nothing that Lewis wouldn't have wanted said. The thing is, that guy with the stupid look on his face knows that his fans are dumb. It's why he says the things that he does when he knows that they aren't true.

Campaign speech?
    You know he’s not running, right?

It's not his own thought. it's something he saw on social media that made its way from Fox or one of those channels for angry old wasps. Tucker was making the exact same talking point on his show last night.

He didn’t really though. He spoke to issues John Lewis fought passionately for his entire life, like voting rights. It’s not unfair to mention that voting rights are under assault still to this day. He didn’t say anything about voting this November did he, he didn’t mention Trump, (or Biden I don’t think?). I’m not seeing what’s low about it he knew very well what Lewis’ main drives were and memorialized then and him, he didn’t twist the man’s legacy to fuel Obamas own personal agenda or anything.

The hate out in the right wing media for his eulogy is both lazy and unsurprising. Tucker Carlson went further than this still, calling Obama “greasy” (dog whistle?) and then gaslit Democrats about “power being their religion” etc - even when it’s been shown through political admission and irrefutable evidence that its Republicans who have been engineering suppression of votes because they know they lose when turnout is high.

https://www.mediaite.com/news/tucker-carlson-likens-obama-to-greasy-politician-for-using-fake-accent-and-desecrating-john-lewis-funeral-with-partisan-talk-about-voting-rights/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/30/us/census-citizenship-question-hofeller.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,571 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's not his own thought. it's something he saw on social media that made its way from Fox or one of those channels for angry old wasps. Tucker was making the exact same talking point on his show last night.

Oh I didn't realise that you speak for me now and that you are a mind reader.
    I like the way that you are throwing plenty of insults.
    Firstly I don't watch Fox News and Tucker Carlson is an idiot.
    Well done there Mister. I like how you had to wait until the Fox News evening talking points made their way through social media to make that point. The eulogy was yesterday evening and yet you had to wait until the frozen-foods heir told you what to think.

I have a life, I watched some of the eulogy last night, I only got around to posting today, I'm sorry I didnt post sooner .

This thread is absolutely toxic, its the same bigoted posters banging on like a broken record.
    I will leave ye at yere propaganda.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Swing and a miss there lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ollkiller

This thread is absolutely toxic, its the same bigoted posters banging on like a broken record.

Your point was refuted. And your logical conclusion is to throw the toys out of the pram. Common enough in this thread with Trump supporters. Ye must not like debating at all.

Oh I didn't realise that you speak for me now and that you are a mind reader.
    I like the way that you are throwing plenty of insults.
    Firstly I don't watch Fox News and Tucker Carlson is an idiot.

I have a life, I watched some of the eulogy last night, I only got around to posting today, I'm sorry I didnt post sooner .

Tbh I’m not a fan either of but the baseless digs at your media consumption and I hope you don’t take what I said in my own posts to be a dig at your personally either. Most people I think are just jaded that we so often see lockstep in social media with what the firebrands on Fox News are drumming, and we see lots of people come along, regurgitate almost identical musings, then flying off never to be seen again. The reason I thanked one of those posts was the supplication that Tucker had such talking points last night not the dig.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This can't be a good sign , 90 odd days out from an Election.

The Trump campaign has paused the majority of its spending on TV ads amid a “review” of its election strategy. Digital advertising has also been halted for now.

The campaign will reportedly undertake a review following the demotion of campaign manager Brad Parscale. The move comes less than 100 days before the election on 3 November.

They claim that the new Campaign team want to review things and that they'll be back "stronger than ever calling Biden out as a puppet of the radical left" , but stopping all Online and most TV advertising at this late stage for a "review" screams of a Campaign in utter disarray and free-fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

95+ days is loads of time. Far better to spend time for a reset now. Only in the US is 95 days seen as late!

Since Trump doesn't have any actual policy platform or ideas it is relatively easy to reset the campaign.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »

They claim that the new Campaign team want to review things and that they'll be back "stronger than ever calling Biden out as a puppet of the radical left" , but stopping all Online and most TV advertising at this late stage for a "review" screams of a Campaign in utter disarray and free-fall.

I thought so too but my other, 2nd though was 90 days in Trump Time is a year by any other standard. So I didn’t think much of this news by itself.

It’s kind of amazing that this presidency feels like it’s dragged on for forever when he spends so much of it doing non-administrative activities, it’s just most everything he touches is a train wreck that your brain processes in slow motion

Another hearing on the Hill today this time for Fauci:

I don’t suspect fireworks in this one but if you like following these hearings - I find them to be illuminating

Ok then. So what would you consider to be campaigning at a eulogy and in what way did Obama's words fit that criteria?

It should be easy enough to answer if your takeaway from the eulogy was that he was campaigning.

Discussing the voting rights act and civil rights at the funeral of one of the biggest civil rights activists of all time in the US isn't campaigning.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Did he say anything that wasn't true?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Call me crazy but Trump isn't nearly as bad as he is made out , he would have walked this if it wasn't for the Corna outbreak and BLM

People in the states are madder than I thought if they think getting Trump out will change anything regarding BLM,
    In fact there communities are doing better under Trump than anyone in the last 50 years

Politics is screwed state side , Which ever side is not in power is more interested in making a mess of the country to hold it against how ever is in charge than actually doing good for the Country ,

Even "the Wall " the hold against him it was there well before Trump and it'll be there well after him ,

I really do think the idea of 1 president for a country of there size is completely outdated ,

Call me crazy but Trump isn't nearly as bad as he is made out , he would have walked this if it wasn't for the Corna outbreak and BLM

People in the states are madder than I thought if they think getting Trump out will change anything regarding BLM,
    In fact there communities are doing better under Trump than anyone in the last 50 years

Politics is screwed state side , Which ever side is not in power is more interested in making a mess of the country to hold it against how ever is in charge than actually doing good for the Country ,

Even "the Wall " the hold against him it was there well before Trump and it'll be there well after him ,

I really do think the idea of 1 president for a country of there size is completely outdated ,

There’s nothing wrong inherently with the structure of the branches, the judiciary, executive, or the bicameral legislature. It wouldn’t make a whole lick of sense to change the leadership structure to multiple commanders in chief. There are the governors and the state governments.

Trump is as bad as he’s made out except for the hyperbole. Swindling Ukraine to drum up negative press for your opponent in a free election type stuff, is as bad as it sounds.

Overheal wrote: »
    Another hearing on the Hill today this time for Fauci:

I don’t suspect fireworks in this one but if you like following these hearings - I find them to be illuminating

Reportedly I'm wrong, am starting to watch now :pac:

Rep. Jim Jordan (R-OH) badgered Dr. Anthony Fauci over his opinion on limiting protests amid the pandemic during his hearing before Congress on Friday — prompting Fauci to push back and point out he is not in the position to “determine what the government can do in a forceful way.”

Jordan pressed Fauci regarding the protests and noted that Churches and offices have had to close due to the outbreak — pushing him to reveal if he thinks the government should put an end to the demonstrations.

Fauci responded by explaining that he believes all large gatherings should be limited throughout the pandemic, especially if masks are not being worn, but would not definitively object to protests.

Jordan then asked if the government should limit the protesting, which Fauci pointed out was not in his right to determine — adding, “I’m not in a position to determine what the government can do in a forceful way.”

Jordan began to detail the violence present during certain protests and demonstrations — leading Fauci to scoff and, again, respond by telling the representative he will not reveal his position on limiting protests.

The two continued to clash on Fauci’s position on protests and large gatherings, prompting Fauci to get frustrated with the representative, which eventually resulted in a back-and-forth between them

“So you’re allowed to protest millions of people on one day in crowds yelling, screaming, but you try to run your business and you get arrested and if you stood right outside of that same business and protested you wouldn’t get arrested, you don’t see any inconsistency there?” Jordan asked.

Fauci questioned why Jordan was asking him, a health expert, about who should get arrested and who shouldn’t, pointing out that he does not have the position to make those decisions.

“You’ve advocated for certain businesses — you’ve advocated for certain businesses to be shut down. I’m just asking you on your position on the protest,” Jordan continued. “I haven’t seen one — we’ve heard a lot about hair salons. I haven’t see one hairstylist who between haircuts goes out and attacks police or sets something on fire but we’ve seen all kinds of that stuff during protests and we know the protests actually increase the spread of the virus. You said that.”

“I said crowds. I didn’t say specifically. I didn’t say protests,” Fauci said, prompting Jordan to respond with, “So the protests don’t increase the spread of the virus?”

“I didn’t say that,” Fauci shot back. “You’re putting words in my mouth.”

Fauci continued to say that crowds lead to the spread of the virus, especially when masks are not worn, but reiterated that he would not reveal a specific stance on the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Mediaite is a lefty Breitbart genuinely made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Ok then. So what would you consider to be campaigning at a eulogy and in what way did Obama's words fit that criteria?

It should be easy enough to answer if your takeaway from the eulogy was that he was campaigning.

Discussing the voting rights act and civil rights at the funeral of one of the biggest civil rights activists of all time in the US isn't campaigning.

Depends really. It doesn't bother me and 100% sure he got permission from the family to discuss these things so no harm whatsoever.

However if Trump does the same at the Cain funeral , I hope people don't dare say it was campaigning etc. Cain whether we like it or not was a great believer in the wall and plenty of the Trump campaign and I'd assume even a goof like Trump would get the permission from the Cain family to discuss those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,214 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Depends really. It doesn't bother me and 100% sure he got permission from the family to discuss these things so no harm whatsoever.

However if Trump does the same at the Cain funeral , I hope people don't dare say it was campaigning etc. Cain whether we like it or not was a great believer in the wall and plenty of the Trump campaign and I'd assume even a goof like Trump would get the permission from the Cain family to discuss those things.

the difference is that trump is a candidate and obama isn't. also there isn't a hope in hell of trump giving the eulogy at cains funeral.

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Mediaite is a lefty Breitbart genuinely made me laugh

Honestly. Even Brietbart's "Tech" section - it's dozens of the same partisan begrudgement posts of cancel culture and partisan politics, there's no actual Tech in their tech section, not a single post from NASA or the Mars mission even though they just launched yesterday, for example. No "best laptops of 2020" etc. Like here's WaPo's section to contrast: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/?nid=top_nav_tech - nothing on Breitbarts section that doesn't propel a Republican agenda is afforded time...

MediaITE, meanwhile, is a blog outfit that just posts a few dozen brief things a day, usually just a 'hey look what Joe Scarborough and Tucker Carlson said today that raised eyebrows' or 'look at this latest gaffe' and always a post on when and where to watch live hearings, press conferences, and rallies - which doesn't seem lefty slanted to me in that regard honestly, 'hey everyone tune in to yet another trump rally, live!'

• Registered Users Posts: 22,585 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Rjd2 wrote: »

I don't think talking about an unfinished wall that's falling apart because he hired cowboys to build it will count as campaiging.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Biden will choose Kamala Harris as hiw VP, according to Politico

Run down to the Paddy Power now :D

https://thecanadian.news/2020/07/29/did-politico-accidentally-publish-bidens-vp-pick/

biko wrote: »

https://thecanadian.news/2020/07/29/did-politico-accidentally-publish-bidens-vp-pick/

I mean, she has an impeccable record doesn't she. I still think she'd make a better AG, having already been a state AG for a number of years, but I can see why that might be a problematic appointment as she's already stumped for Biden etc. and after Barr any AG who is seen as too in-clique with POTUS is going to be viewed dimly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd like Tulsi but we'll see.

In other news - mail-voting tested in Philadelphia.
    Results not good.

Another fine pick as far as I recollect. I can expect to see several good people end up in cabinet positions I think.
    Results not good.

Very anecdotal. I would expect the USPS to prioritize actual ballots over general mail like was used in this scenario as simulation. I'd certainly love the USPS to take this more seriously, and even sideline regular mail in favor of processing ballots. That said, that's not what is happening. Effectively, Trump's guy has been disrupting the regular operation of USPS this year, some of it very recent. It remains unproven whether there is coordination with the Postmaster General, who was a political appointee and a GOP megadonor, with the Trump Administration, to erode confidence in the USPS at large in order to enact the decades-long goal of attempting to privatize or dismantle USPS, but more imminently to erode confidence in widespread absentee-voting:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/postal-service-backlog-sparks-worries-that-ballot-delivery-could-be-delayed-in-november/2020/07/30/cb19f1f4-d1d0-11ea-8d32-1ebf4e9d8e0d_story.html#comments-wrapper

[...]

DeJoy, a North Carolina logistics executive who donated more than $2 million to GOP political committees in the past four years, approved changes that took effect July 13 that the agency said were aimed at cutting costs for the debt-laden mail service. They included prohibiting overtime pay, shutting down sorting machines early and requiring letter carriers to leave mail behind when necessary to avoid extra trips or late delivery on routes.

The new policies have resulted in at least a two-day delay in scattered parts of the country, even for express mail, according to multiple postal workers and union leaders. Letter carriers are manually sorting more mail, adding to the delivery time. Bins of mail ready for delivery are sitting in post offices because of scheduling and route changes. And without the ability to work overtime, workers say the logjam is worsening without an end in sight.

[...]

Trump has repeatedly gone after the Postal Service, calling it “a joke” and demanding it raise the rates it charges companies such as Amazon. (Amazon founder and chief executive Jeff Bezos owns The Washington Post.) In recent months, the administration has sought to leverage the agency’s financial woes, made worse by the pandemic and declines in profitable first- and second-class mail. On Wednesday, the Postal Service agreed to give the Treasury Department information about its private-sector contracts in exchange for a $10 billion emergency loan authorized by Congress in an early round of coronavirus relief spending.

Weeks after DeJoy took over, agency officials released an internal memo announcing a “pivot” for all employees. Traditionally, postal workers are trained not to leave letters behind and to make multiple delivery trips to ensure mail is delivered on time — which can incur extra costs in overtime hours, transportation and more. Officials laid out a shift away from this approach, saying that such practices cost the organization about $200 million in added expenses, according to the memo, which was obtained by The Post. Among the changes is a new, strict cutoff time in the morning for mail carriers to pick up items to deliver that day, several postal employees from three different states said. The machines that typically sort mail and prepare them for pickup by carriers are being shut down earlier in some areas to cut costs, requiring carriers to sort more mail by hand once they arrive in the morning.

That means any mail that is not ready by cutoff time waits at least another day. And if there is any error in hand-sorted mail, it needs to be rerouted to another carrier — which could lead to three to four extra days of waiting. As a result of these changes, guaranteed shipping dates are not being met, the employees said. “This is forced. These are things that don’t have to happen,” one worker from Pennsylvania said. Cash, who works in Lancaster, N.Y., said her post office is about two days behind its normal processing time.

“The cardinal rule is, ‘don’t delay the mail,’ and we’re in a 180-degree switch where we’re delaying mail every day,” she said, adding that if the system is not fixed before election season, “it’s going to be a catastrophe at the post office.” Partenheimer said the agency is not slowing down mail, but that it is “reemphasizing” plans that are meant to make the Postal Service more prompt and reliable. Stutts said he is confident the changes under DeJoy will make the agency more efficient and financially stable, and that concerns about delays are exaggerated and premature.

[...]
    Already, tens of thousands of ballots across the country have been disqualified in this year’s primaries, many because they did not arrive in time. In Wisconsin, 2,659 ballots that were returned after the April 13 deadline for the spring primary were not counted due to their late arrival, according to the state election commission. In California, 70,330 ballots were disqualified because they missed the deadline, according to an AP analysis. Tens of thousands of mail ballots have been tossed out in this year’s primaries. What will happen in November? Ballots are typically sorted by hand and prioritized by postal workers so they can be sure they are delivered on time, USPS employees said.

The current backlogs are becoming so dire that if the new procedures remain in place, workers may not be able to locate all the ballots in time for them to be processed, they said. “If they keep this up until the election, there’s no telling how many days-worth of delays there could be. I mean, we’ll be delivering political mail days after the election,” a postal worker from California said.

[...]

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Results not good.

Is that the Video that Trump was using as his evidence of "MASSIVE VOTER FRAUD" yesterday??

Yes - It's the same one

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288616496638255105

That just says that the US Postal Service is a bit crap , it says absolutely nothing about voter fraud or anything remotely like it.

Seems to me that the issues described in the video are fairly easy to solve - Everyone post their ballot at least 10 days before the Election.

Get that message out now.

Of course another solution would be to allocate funding to the postal service to hire more staff - They could even help some people get jobs by giving them temporary work as postal staff for sorting and delivery for the election , same way An Post always hires a load of temp people at Christmas here.

Win win for Trump - Saves Democracy AND lowers Unemployment.

I mean , why wouldn't he do that?

What would be the downside?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

She is the red hot favourite on PP at 8/11 now, Im surprised they still have the book open as this is the time that leaks get leaked. Its sometimes possible to catch Paddy Power on the hop if political news comes late at night when all their traders are gone home. Had a nice hit on them last year with the timing of the UK General election being leaked while the traders were asleep.

I would say there is absolute chaos going on in the background of the Trump campaign at this stage. Them 're-setting' the campaign 90 odd days out from election day shows as much, especially given that Trump has literally been campaigning for re-election for 3.5 years now with his rallies.

Trump is flailing around now looking for something, anything to arrest the slide in his numbers. Im beginning to wonder might he soon hit the nuclear button and we will see Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Steve Bannon all show up officially on his campaign team. He has to do something, and quickly.

I
    Of course another solution would be to allocate funding to the postal service to hire more staff - They could even help some people get jobs by giving them temporary work as postal staff for sorting and delivery for the election , same way An Post always hires a load of temp people at Christmas here.

Win win for Trump - Saves Democracy AND lowers Unemployment.

I mean , why wouldn't he do that?

What would be the downside?

See my above post.

A $10Bn relief loan has already being worked out for USPS.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/07/29/postal-service-treasury-loan/

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    She is the red hot favourite on PP at 8/11 now, Im surprised they still have the book open as this is the time that leaks get leaked.

I would say there is absolute chaos going on in the background of the Trump campaign at this stage. Them 're-setting' the campaign 90 odd days out from election day shows as much, especially given that Trump has literally been campaigning for re-election for 3.5 years now with his rallies.

Trump is flailing around now looking for something, anything to arrest the slide in his numbers. Im beginning to wonder might he soon hit the nuclear button and we will see Paul Manafort, Roger Stone and Steve Bannon all show up officially on his campaign team. He has to do something, and quickly.

His Nuclear button will be when Bill Barr releases a synopsis of the Durham report about a week or so before the Election suggesting that Joe Biden is implicated in various illegal acts relating to the Russian Interference investigation.

The full report won't be made public until after the election , when it will become apparent that the summary from Barr bears little to no resemblance to the actual report and that neither Joe Biden nor anyone connected to him did anything untoward or illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement