Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 the battle of the septuagenarians - Trump vs Biden, Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Overheal wrote: »
    Barr refused to affirm that he would not interfere in the election by releasing the Durham report prior to the election.

Odds are, it won't even be the report itself. It'll be a summary that misrepresents it.

It would be effective too if not for the fact that he's destroyed his credibility already.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users Posts: 81,676 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Washington Post running with that too
    Trump questions why Fauci has better ratings as U.S. approaches 150,000 coronavirus deaths

As the number of Americans who have died of the novel coronavirus approached 150,000 on Tuesday, President Trump questioned why he isn’t as popular as Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-disease expert. “He’s got this high approval rating,” Trump told reporters at a White House coronavirus task force briefing, claiming that he had implemented many of Fauci’s recommendations. “So why don’t I have a high approval rating?”

Fauci, meanwhile, warned that even while the outbreak in the Sun Belt might finally be leveling off, the number of positive tests were rising in the Midwest. “We just can’t afford, yet again, another surge,” he said Tuesday, as the United States reported more than 1,000 coronavirus fatalities for the second day in a row. Florida, Arkansas, Oregon and Montana, in particular, witnessed their highest single-day death tolls to date. More than 59,500 new cases were tallied nationwide, bringing the total count of infections reported since February to at least 4,331,000.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/29/coronavirus-covid-live-updates-us/

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-reveals-he-didnt-raise-bounties-in-call-with-putin-before-dismissing-it-as-fake-news/

Trump finally let the cat out of the bag, admitting that the topic of Russian bounties has never been discussed with Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Washington Post running with that too

The idea that he's pondering why he's rated less positively than Fauci on the topic of the virus while at the same time retweeting a video of a woman being completely wrong on almost every aspect of the virus just because she said Hydroxychloroquine works... God yeah it's a real mystery alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/trump-reveals-he-didnt-raise-bounties-in-call-with-putin-before-dismissing-it-as-fake-news/

Trump finally let the cat out of the bag, admitting that the topic of Russian bounties has never been discussed with Putin.

That, frankly, is an abdication of his responsibilities as CiC. All military should be up in arms about this (not literally!). To not even bring it up, to dismiss it as fake news, not because the security service has said so, or a military investigation has shown it to be, but because a few random people mentioned that they thought it was, is gross incompetence.

Either he doesn't care, he is scared of Putin or he really does believe it to be fake. The 1st two are pretty terrifying for a US POV, the third needs more explanation that 'some people are saying' and goes to heart of the US intelligence aparatus.

Given that he already sided with Russia os the security services over Russin interference, is Trump really saying that he places no credibility on what the security services are reporting?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    That, frankly, is an abdication of his responsibilities as CiC. All military should be up in arms about this (not literally!). To not even bring it up, to dismiss it as fake news, not because the security service has said so, or a military investigation has shown it to be, but because a few random people mentioned that they thought it was, is gross incompetence.

Either he doesn't care, he is scared of Putin or he really does believe it to be fake. The 1st two are pretty terrifying for a US POV, the third needs more explanation that 'some people are saying' and goes to heart of the US intelligence aparatus.

Given that he already sided with Russia os the security services over Russin interference, is Trump really saying that he places no credibility on what the security services are reporting?

Yes he is. His whole presidency is defined by Qanon Deep State conspiracy theories. Publicly at least he’s expressed as much of not more trust in Russian intel than US Intel. I think most of the military caucus are appalled frankly but almost as many will engage in denial that he is being that outrageous- would you want to believe it’s this bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the ego is cracking, this chap could walk away from this yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Will he pull a distraction to try and divert attention from the 150 thousand deaths?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 homes_for_all

It's funny seeing the Steele dossier being pulled apart. So it was mainly sourced by a law student in Russia and US (Igor Danchenko), with no significant ties to Kremlin and "was never meant to go public" let alone form the basis of Muller's investigation.

What is it with British intelligence dossiers being done by students?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's funny seeing the Steele dossier being pulled apart. So it was mainly sourced by a law student in Russia and US (Igor Danchenko), with no significant ties to Kremlin and "was never meant to go public" let alone form the basis of Muller's investigation.

What is it with British intelligence dossiers being done by students?!

The dossier was only the commencement. It merely highlighted the concerns and possibilities.

Since then we know that Stone was leaking to Wikileaks, we know that Cohen had business dealings on behalf of Trump in Russia, we know Trump tired to blackmail Ukraine into getting dirt on Biden, we know Trump openly welcomes foreign interference into elections, we know that Flynn lied about his talks with Russia, we know Trump knew and approved, we know Trump is so beholden to Russia that he is willing to excuse the targeting of US troops by Russia by way of bounties.

How can you see that Trump is dismissing US intelligence reports over Russian targeting of US military personnel without comment yet claim that somehow a dossier shown to be less than 100% accurate is anything other than normal security reporting?

Trump can't have it both ways.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288509572223651840

Words actually fail me here.

Does he really think that this will win him votes?

Quin_Dub wrote: »

I for one am genuinely shocked the poster boy for housing discrimination, who was sued for refusing to rent to black people, would take such a move. Shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Quin_Dub wrote: »

He's getting desperate.

There was a series of tweets earlier from him promising airport spending in all the swing states. Fairly blatant stuff but I don't know if there are many fence-sitters out there at this point.

This may be related to the fact that his campaign is basically giving up on Michigan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Always telling when a person posts a 20 minute youtube video but doesn't bother make any points of their own or summarising the point of the 20 minute video. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Your Trump derangement syndrome is getting boring. The Democrats invited Mr. Barr to a hearing where he was the guest and yet would not let him speak, in doing so they demonstrated bad manners and bad faith and their antics were a really poor show. They also used the same tactic against Michael Shellenberger.

At this rate United States President Trump has the re-election all sown up it will be a blow out election in his favour on a par with 1972 for Nixon and with that I claim back the balance of my time.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

Goes on further rant and links to conspiracy site about global warming. Thanks for the update!

They asked questions of Barr btw, he just couldn't explain some of his decisions. Eg a militia threatening to lynch a mayor not being deserving if federal intervention. But invading states that didn't ask for federal intervention is all good. In the process, making the situation worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭threeball

I for one am genuinely shocked the poster boy for housing discrimination, who was sued for refusing to rent to black people, would take such a move. Shocked!

His protégé Jared has form in that area too. No doubt he was involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The Democrats invited Mr. Barr to a hearing where he was the guest and yet would not let him speak, in doing so they demonstrated bad manners and bad faith and their antics were a really poor show.
    Yeah, after seeing republican antics of literally banging on things so people couldn't be heard and breaking in to these meetings uninvited and interrupting others, as well as shouting at others during hearings, I'm sure that decorum is really, really important to you and them too - they're such a key part of Trumps presidency after all. :rolleyes:

Barr repeatedly attempted to interrupt them mid-questioning only to be put back in his box. He pretty much got torn to pieces, which might explain why the video you linked to despite being twenty-two and a half minutes shows extremely little actual footage of thd hearing.

Jayapals time is a great example. Here is the video of it, uninterrupted, unedited, and not 90% filled with some randomer saying what he wishes had happened.

---

Also, the screencap of that making Barr out to be 'using the force' or whatever it is immediately reminded me if this.

• Advertisement

Your Trump derangement syndrome is getting boring. The Democrats invited Mr. Barr to a hearing where he was the guest and yet would not let him speak, in doing so they demonstrated bad manners and bad faith and their antics were a really poor show. They also used the same tactic against Michael Shellenberger.

At this rate United States President Trump has the re-election all sown up it will be a blow out election in his favour on a par with 1972 for Nixon and with that I claim back the balance of my time.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I watched the whole hearing live. Was there something not loaded or pointed at users here you wanted to say about it?

No discussion about judicial committee manners is complete if you fail to mention the out of order shouting and grand standing from Gym Jordan. That omission and your sweeping accusation of the room here of Trump Derangement Syndrome informs us what your galvanized viewpoint is, so are you here to soapbox that or here to raise a broader discussion about bipartisan decorum?
    As if interrupting witnesses is something Jordan would never do, despite crying loudly about such virtue signaling yesterday.

I also particularly enjoyed Jordan having a piss fit this morning for seemingly, magically forgetting about how his committee works: he asked for unanimous consent, someone objected so his motion didn’t carry - so rather than act like a mature adult he shouted down the acting chair as if he had never heard how these rules work in his life. He acted like someone stole his reserved parking spot and pissed on his corn flakes to try and paint Democrats as evil sadistic c*nts for adhering to parliamentary procedure.

Democrat decorum yesterday was as simple as Barr shouting several octaves higher for every democrat, interrupting their time as much as able, and acting like a modest librarian during the minorities time. He exemplifies how partisan he is.

Edit: Jordan did it *yet again* earlier today when he shouted the roof off the place when it was no longer his time. He roared bloody murder over the time of a female democrat.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fireworks-house-hearing-explodes-after-dem-rep-calls-out-jim-jordan-for-fringe-conspiracy-theories-about-google/

Relevant bit immediately following his 5 minute round of questioning. Oh yes. Gym Jordan Decorum.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,473 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Your Trump derangement syndrome

"People who invoke TDS tend to be gleefully disparaging the other coalition. But if they are right to any degree, they are implicitly conceding a damning indictment of Trump.

And it doesn’t even matter whether he is right or wrong. Good leaders inspire mutually beneficial cooperation, not derangement! Americans who value leadership, comity, and collaboration during a crisis should elect someone less polarizing––and practically any other choice would be less polarizing––because Trump cannot unite."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/the-implications-of-trump-derangement-syndrome/610705/

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭ollkiller

"People who invoke TDS tend to be gleefully disparaging the other coalition. But if they are right to any degree, they are implicitly conceding a damning indictment of Trump.

And it doesn’t even matter whether he is right or wrong. Good leaders inspire mutually beneficial cooperation, not derangement! Americans who value leadership, comity, and collaboration during a crisis should elect someone less polarizing––and practically any other choice would be less polarizing––because Trump cannot unite."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/04/the-implications-of-trump-derangement-syndrome/610705/

When they invoke TDS I'm out really. No point in debating anyone who thinks we don't like Trump because we are deranged.

Your point is exactly why I hate him. Good leaders unite people. He trades in division to create hate and fear and people applaud him for it. As I've said before I'm not religious but I hope there is a heaven and hell. Even if I end up in Hell at least he'll be there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Your Trump derangement syndrome is getting boring. Something something......

How many republicans does it take to change a lightbulb?

None, Trump said he fixed it, so they all sit in the dark and applaud.

I missed a lot of this hearing at the doctors office today but from what I’m seeing now there’s bipartisan grilling of these tech firms they just have very different agenda: Democrats are grilling for instance, Facebook on giving legitimacy to debunked Covid nonsense from Trump et al. And simultaneously Republicans are bludgeoning these groups for censoring debunked Covid nonsense from Trump et al :rolleyes: “persecution complex” as one Democrat just put it.

The Republican side of the room is primarily outraged at google for conspiracy theories that they are orchestrating their search engine to help Biden win. Democrats are focusing ire at Apple for removing apps that compete with services that Apple then bakes into iOS, like ScreenTime.

It’s hard to see what useful takeaways will come from this at the end of the hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You seem clever, clued in and well informed. Welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,296 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Those pesky 'delinquents' in Berlin are the real problem anyway.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/29/us-germany-troop-withdrawal-donald-trump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

@carfacemandog....

With a name like that you sound like Trumps cognitive test...

Eh car, eh....man, no face I mean face then man and eh dog and if you get it in order then you get more points and a biscuit...:pac::pac::pac:

***Not a dig at you as I cant stand the orange turd too, just a funny observation***

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Did I get it? Do I get extra points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Jaysus.

I'm not convinced that the polls are all that accurate, but the idea that Trump will win 49/50 states, or will win the popular vote by 18 million votes, is laughable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement