Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,568 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

robinph wrote: »
    The last few pages are exactly why they came up with the Alpha, Beta... variant names rather than sticking with geographical identification. People use the geographical terms to blame different locations they want to have a dig at and try and blame a country for something they had zero control over.

Whichever variant could have emerged in absolutely any location and nobody has any control over that. There is things you can do to prevent it gaining entry to your country, for which Johnson is due criticism for Delta. But absolutely nothing that anyone could do to prevent Alpha or Delta existing wherever it was that they happened to first emerge and then be detected.

Indeed and i agree the change to Alpha Delta etc is good but it also needs to be pointed out when others are unwilling to accept reality like certain posters on here are when any criticism at all is leveled towards the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think the messaging around this is very important. It's one thing to say "We're removing the legal prohibitions - you now need to take responsiblity for your own behaviour, and think carefully about the impact on others of what you do, and what you can do to minimise the risk to them". It's quite another to say "We're removing the legal prohibitions - you can all party like it's New Year's Eve to celebrate your liberation from medico-fascism!"

From this point of view the language of "Freedom Day!" is most unfortunate. It frames pandemic control measures primarily as a constraint that burdens people, not as a protection that benefits them, and that's precisely the opposite of the frame of mind you want them to be in. Letting people be responsible for their own decisions about this does really depend on people being, well, responsible in the decisions they make.

Pandemic control measures are for most people a burden and most people didn't have to take the vaccine. Most people took it for the benefit of others including those who take no personal responsibility for their own health.

There is a limit to how long people can reasonably be expected to curtail their lives for other people and my opinion is that in the UK that limit has been reached. And Long Covid makes no difference. To prevent death yes, but for an illness that will pass? No.

If it were the case in this country that the government lifted restrictions than that's good enough for me. I am not going to continue to behave as though I hadn't had the vaccine or that no one else has had it, as if that didn't happen, because that's exactly what some are saying in the UK should be how people should continue to behave.

It's alright for the likes of Piers Morgan with no doubt mansion of a house where he can invite his elite friends over for an outdoor gathering.

I on the other hand according to him would be expected to wear a mask on public transport which would mean wearing one for 3.5 hours on the train if I wanted a getaway to Dublin. There is no way I can wear a mask that long so no travelling for me for a while yet. But as I say if our gov lifted that restriction then it's no mask for me and anyone who would dare to challenge me on it would regret it.

Like your post ‘the Alpha variant originated in the U.K. spin that!’

And then argued when provided with the facts that nobody has determined where it originates.

Instead of praising the countries that bother to isolate new variants and share the news worldwide your just interested in being able point score against the U.K. it’s embarrassing.

There’s a new variant been found in Peru, will you bash them too?

Flip like the weather! LOL!

Aww im sad to see you didn't take that break, also I thought you said you were done with me? Again if you have evidence showing it didn't originate in the UK id love to see it but again most agree it probably did.

I don't see why you think i'm trying to bash the UK here i'm just stating a fact and pointing out how your original post that had a problem with someone claiming that was a bit petty.

Much like Delta has been overwhelmingly agreed upon to have originated in India. Would you have as much of a problem with me making that claim?

I dont see anywhere I was trying to point score before you claimed I was for some reason jealous of the UK which is in itself a pretty pathetic way to score points.

Again id suggest getting over yourself and taking a break it might do you some good.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

VinLieger wrote: »
    Aww im sad to see you didn't take that break, also I thought you said you were done with me? Again if you have evidence showing it didn't originate in the UK id love to see it but again most agree it probably did.

I don't see why you think i'm trying to bash the UK here i'm just stating a fact and pointing out how your original post that had a problem with someone claiming that was a bit petty.

Much like Delta has been overwhelmingly agreed upon to have originated in India. Would you have as much of a problem with me making that claim?

I dont see anywhere I was trying to point score before you claimed I was for some reason jealous of the UK which is in itself a pretty pathetic way to score points.

Again id suggest getting over yourself and taking a break it might do you some good.

You can’t prove a negative, feel free to provide evidence that it did though.

Again, just because something was first identified somewhere (in this case India) it doesn’t mean it originated there. There’s no evidence to say that it did.

As I say, you seem to be against countries who go to the effort of isolating variants to help fight them.

You ask for facts yet are happy to believe something when none exist.

If you can’t accept how your posts come across that’s on you.

As I say, you seem to be against countries who go to the effort of isolating variants to help fight them.

Im really not, ive been pretty critical of the Irish government throughout all this if it makes you happier.

No I accept scientific consensus as being the best and most accurate answer in the absence of complete 100% verifiable evidence.

• Advertisement

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I guess the idea is that allowing the virus to thrive in a half vaccinated population will increase the selective pressure on any novel vaccine-resistant virus.
    That selection pressure would be far less if either very few people were vaccinated, or very few unvaccinated.
    (Hope that makes sense!)

It does to an extent, but surely it would follow that the more pressure applied by vaccines, the more chance there is of a super variant that wipes us all out.

We will never get 100% of people vaccinated, so will the few percent that aren’t basically become super bio weapon?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im really not, ive been pretty critical of the Irish government throughout all this if it makes you happier.

No I accept scientific consensus as being the best and most accurate answer in the absence of complete 100% verifiable evidence.

Where is this scientific consensus that just because a country identifies a variant it’s scientifically conceded that it originated there?

I think you’re confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Where is this scientific consensus that just because a country identifies a variant it’s scientifically conceded that it originated there?

I think you’re confused.
    It gets uploaded into a whopping database of over 1m genomes so there's no problem matching them. They generally say where a genome or variant was first reported so that's the country identification for you. Our first versions were identified in Austria I believe, midlands UK too.

Same goes for Wuhan. First identified in a massive transport hub of a city.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It gets uploaded into a whopping database of over 1m genomes so there's no problem matching them. They generally say where a genome or variant was first reported so that's the country identification for you. Our first versions were identified in Austria I believe, midlands UK too.

Variants that are isolated by that country and then published are uploaded into a DB maybe, but that doesn’t mean that’s where it originated, travel has been open throughout the pandemic for example.

Case in point the ‘Kent’ virus, the landbridge Mecca of Europe as a prime example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You can’t prove a negative, feel free to provide evidence that it did though.

Again, just because something was first identified somewhere (in this case India) it doesn’t mean it originated there. There’s no evidence to say that it did.

If you can’t accept how your posts come across that’s on you.

They know the exact person the alpha variant originated in in Kent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Aegir wrote: »
    It does to an extent, but surely it would follow that the more pressure applied by vaccines, the more chance there is of a super variant that wipes us all out.

We will never get 100% of people vaccinated, so will the few percent that aren’t basically become super bio weapon?

It's a probabilities question.
    The less virus in circulation, the less opportunity for mutation.
    The fact that vaccines still work gives me hope that resistance will not arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,628 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The chances of a 'super variant' are slim/impossible at best. Any mutation of the spike protein (which the vaccines target) will lead to SARS-COVI-2 losing it's advantage over other viruses. This spike protein is the reason it is so successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Variants that are isolated by that country and then published are uploaded into a DB maybe, but that doesn’t mean that’s where it originated, travel has been open throughout the pandemic for example.

Case in point the ‘Kent’ virus, the landbridge Mecca of Europe as a prime example.
    It's the first time it was reported but there's a fairly good chance that it did in the majority of cases.

They know the exact person the alpha variant originated in in Kent.

They know the exact person who first presented symptoms and went to be tested with that variant, could have been any amount of asymptomatic carriers or symptomatic passers through that brought it in.

Therein lays the issue with pointing at a location as ground zero.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's the first time it was reported but there's a fairly good chance that it did in the majority of cases.

If you’re happy living life under the pretence of ‘fairly good chance’ then that’s your prerogative.

What about all the countries in Europe who aren’t testing for variants, they never know what variants they’ve got at any given time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

They know the exact person who first presented symptoms and went to be tested with that variant, could have been any amount of asymptomatic carriers or symptomatic passers through that brought it in.

Therein lays the issue with pointing at a location as ground zero.

Nope

They know the exact immunocompromised individual that harbored the mutating virus.

Please, continue though

Not sure what Boris and the UK gov are playing at really. Hospitalisations hit 400 today, they'll be easily at 1000+ by the end of the month, if I worked for the NHS I'd be handing in my notice. Putting them through another wave of sh*t, when a small bit more patience is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not sure what Boris and the UK gov are playing at really. Hospitalisations hit 400 today, they'll be easily at 1000+ by the end of the month, if I worked for the NHS I'd be handing in my notice. Putting them through another wave of sh*t, when a small bit more patience is required.

In December countries all over the world closed off their borders to the UK. Looks like many will have to do that again.

Not a fan of the Guardian but it tells how that came to pass ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/worlds-media-ask-how-it-went-so-wrong-for-plague-island-britain-covid

Plague Island indeed.

At the peak of the last wave, there were over 4000 hospitalizations per day. During the winter, there are likely to be 1000 flu patients admitted per day.

• Advertisement

Aegir wrote: »
    At the peak of the last wave, there were over 4000 hospitalizations per day. During the winter, there are likely to be 1000 flu patients admitted per day.

Well that's just not true. Hospital admissions for flu in the UK during winter typically range from 200-1,000 per week. 1,000 a day is unheard of for flu.

I'm not saying 1,000 covid admissions a day is not manageable, but there is no guarantee you can maintain it at a steady level. UK is basically going back to the original herd immunity plan, the intent now is to let it rip, hoping vaccine coverage is enough for the NHS to cope.

Well that's just not true. Hospital admissions for flu in the UK during winter typically range from 200-1,000 per week. 1,000 a day is unheard of for flu.

I'm not saying 1,000 covid admissions a day is not manageable, but there is no guarantee you can maintain it at a steady level. UK is basically going back to the original herd immunity plan, the intent now is to let it rip, hoping vaccine coverage is enough for the NHS to cope.

Apologies, respiratory illness Why it's time to think differently about Covid https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57678942

Vaccine coverage has to be enough. If it isn’t then the human race has lost this particular battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭brickster69

gozunda wrote: »
    In December countries all over the world closed off their borders to the UK. Looks like many will have to do that again.

Not a fan of the Guardian but it tells how that came to pass ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/22/worlds-media-ask-how-it-went-so-wrong-for-plague-island-britain-covid

Plague Island indeed.

Have you noticed what the UK has done over the last few months ?

A huge testing campaign backed up by the worlds most advanced Genome sequencing industry. This has what has broke the link between transmission and deaths.

Not just opening testing stations for those with symptoms but actively testing those without symptoms. Catching them and isolating them while the rest of Europe backed off on testing thinking it was all over.

Unfortunately the countries who never bothered carrying on a mass testing program will find they may not of broken that link at all.

Time will tell but in 4 months we will see who did things right.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,341 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'm confused. How has mass testing broken the link between transmission and deaths?

RE : the lifting of restrictions

I definitely have my reservations. The last time the UK opted to go with a mitigation vs suppression strategy it didn't go too well. I guess at some stage further restrictions are going to have to be lifted but in my mind a slower easing makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭brickster69

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I'm confused. How has mass testing broken the link between transmission and deaths?

That is for you to work out if you don't know

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Have you noticed what the UK has done over the last few months ? A huge testing campaign backed up by the worlds most advanced Genome sequencing industry. This has what has broke the link between transmission and deaths.

Not just opening testing stations for those with symptoms but actively testing those without symptoms. Catching them and isolating them while the rest of Europe backed off on testing thinking it was all over.

Unfortunately the countries who never bothered carrying on a mass testing program will find they may not of broken that link at all.Time will tell but in 4 months we will see who did things right.

Well no. The UK currently has a 14-day-incidence-rate approx 4 times or own. Both their death and case rate for covid since the start of the Pandemic are excessive given the resources available they have had to manage the pandemic.

The one thing they have got right is their vaccination programme and they've effectively sidelined that for the idea of herd immunity as was first mooted by Boris et al back at the start of the pandemic and quickly binned - only to be resurrected less than a couple of months short of the deadline of the UKs own vaccination programme.

Time will indeed tell ....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,128 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Scrapping the masks and social distancing is completely bonkers. Was anybody even asking for that? Everyone is in the habit of it now. I feel so sorry for anyone working in the NHS.

The masks thing and calling it Freedom Day is absurd. There will be anything but a feeling of freedom for many who will fear going out when the plan is they get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tim Spector calls the plateau, expects long tail due to loosening restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,023 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fairly realistic assessment of the situation.

Advertisement