Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Options

Comments

It's weird to see a bunch of Irish people support a British strategy that endangers Irish health and freedom.

First they drop masks, then they invade Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I did not watch the briefing earlier but I now see Whitty and Valance said they'll be continuing to wear masks in lots of situations. That probably explains why Boris said he would too, wouldn't want to look like the odd one out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

Aegir wrote: »
    First they drop masks, then they invade Ireland ?

BJ is going to legalize drugs here as an experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭brickster69

How crazy is it that it will no longer be illegal to go to the bar in a pub and order a drink ?

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You all lost months of life just this year due to a variant made in England.

They're soon opening up fully despite only being partially vaccinated. It's the ****ing perfect environment for a variant to emerge that further evades the vaccines.

I really can't get my head around why you'd cheer them on. You literally all just suffered due to Boris Johnson's mishandling of covid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Henry...

BJ ate my hamster

It's weird to see a bunch of Irish people support a British strategy that endangers Irish health and freedom.

Nothing to do with "British" strategy. It's the correct thing to do, time to get on with our lives and open the businesses that have been destroyed if possible. It's a year and a half into the pandemic, the link has been broken between cases and deaths. No more hiding. The Irish government are afraid to make any proper decisions and their supporters, some of who seem to enjoy this warped way of living have completely given up on living and seem happy to just subsist and hide away for years to come.

You all lost months of life just this year due to a variant made in England.

It was identified in England no proof it originated in England. For all anyone knows it could of come in from those boat people from Calais, who knows.

All roads lead to Rome.

Henry... wrote: »
    BJ ate my hamster

Was that after he shot Bambi’s mother?

It was identified in England no proof it originated in England. For all anyone knows it could of come in from those boat people from Calais, who knows.

Actually they're pretty sure they know the exact unlucky person who created the variant

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/scientists-think-know-when-how-4866103

• Advertisement

Nothing to do with "British" strategy. It's the correct thing to do, time to get on with our lives and open the businesses that have been destroyed if possible. It's a year and a half into the pandemic, the link has been broken between cases and deaths. No more hiding. The Irish government are afraid to make any proper decisions and their supporters, some of who seem to enjoy this warped way of living have completely given up on living and seem happy to just subsist and hide away for years to come.

You've a lot wrong there, but lets forget all that for a second.

You clearly think there's been a massive over reaction to covid.
    Fair enough. I'm tired of arguing the opposite.

But you surely must see, because of what you perceive as an overly cautious public health response, that a new variant brewed in the UK presents a massive risk to your freedoms.

What do you think NPHET's response would be?

But you surely must see, because of what you perceive as an overly cautious public health response, that a new variant brewed in the UK presents a massive risk to your freedoms.

Nah, you're wrong. You want to stay in never ending restrictions, come next winter when hospitals are traditionally under pressure you'll be demanding more severe lockdowns and on and on and on...

Did Boris brew it all on his own, or did he get help?

Actually they're pretty sure they know the exact unlucky person who created the variant

https://www.kentlive.news/news/kent-news/scientists-think-know-when-how-4866103

So if that is the case why are you blaming a whole country for some bloke who for whatever reason developed it. Why don't you blame him for starting it, hard to imagine he did it on purpose.

All roads lead to Rome.

Nah, you're wrong. You want to stay in never ending restrictions, come next winter when hospitals are traditionally under pressure you'll be demanding more severe lockdowns and on and on and on...

Haha

No I don't. That's why I'm not applauding plague island.

Again, you literally lost months of your life to this just a short while ago. In fact we're awash with delta cases right now, and it's likely that it was due to travel with the UK.

The Brits are ruining your life and you're giving them your full backing.

So if that is the case why are you blaming a whole country for some bloke who for whatever reason developed it. Why don't you blame him for starting it, hard to imagine he did it on purpose.

I'm not blaming the whole country. I'm blaming the Tory government.

They let down that unfortunate immunosuppressed bloke. Johnson didn't need the advice if his PH advisors and ended up locking the country down weeks later than was necessary.

They let down that unfortunate immunosuppressed bloke. Johnson didn't need the advice if his PH advisors and ended up locking the country down weeks later than was necessary.

Fuc#ing hell ! :pac::pac::pac:

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

The Brits are ruining your life and you're giving them your full backing.

:confused:

:confused:

Don't be confused, it's quite normal. There was a bloke on here the other night saying the Brits shot JFK :eek:

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well I’m happy enough that Boris is using the British people to conduct this medical experiment because if it isn’t a total disaster we can follow suit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I cannot believe they are removing the masks requirement, yes masks are slightly annoying and nobody wants to wear them but the benefit is so obvious and still absolutely required.

I agree we need to start living with covid but that means still using masks for a while to come.

This decision above all others shows this to be Boris pushing the responsibility of dealing with the virus onto the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I think the messaging around this is very important. It's one thing to say "We're removing the legal prohibitions - you now need to take responsiblity for your own behaviour, and think carefully about the impact on others of what you do, and what you can do to minimise the risk to them". It's quite another to say "We're removing the legal prohibitions - you can all party like it's New Year's Eve to celebrate your liberation from medico-fascism!"

From this point of view the language of "Freedom Day!" is most unfortunate. It frames pandemic control measures primarily as a constraint that burdens people, not as a protection that benefits them, and that's precisely the opposite of the frame of mind you want them to be in. Letting people be responsible for their own decisions about this does really depend on people being, well, responsible in the decisions they make.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Would be better without the "freedom day" rubbish. Call it "don't be a dick now after the last year and a half we've been through day", but that's not quite got the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

robinph wrote: »
    Would be better without the "freedom day" rubbish. Call it "don't be a dick now after the last year and a half we've been through day", but that's not quite got the same ring to it.

It is a nice nod to futurama though. Not somewhere I would have gone for holiday naming inspiration. Hopefully someone eats a flag in celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

VinLieger wrote: »
    I cannot believe they are removing the masks requirement, yes masks are slightly annoying and nobody wants to wear them but the benefit is so obvious and still absolutely required.

It makes "sense". Masks are a prohibitor for infection.

England's stated goal now is to get as many infected and as quickly as possible.

Herd Immunity through vaccination and a massive rise in disease.

The language is quite stark from the CMO and Health Secretary, 'what we hope will happen' mixed with "uncertainty" and "uncharted territory".

50,000 infections a day by "Freedom Day" according to Javid this morning.

It will be a very interesting few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Peregrinus wrote: »
    I think the messaging around this is very important. It's one thing to say "We're removing the legal prohibitions - you now need to take responsiblity for your own behaviour, and think carefully about the impact on others of what you do, and what you can do to minimise the risk to them". It's quite another to say "We're removing the legal prohibitions - you can all party like it's New Year's Eve to celebrate your liberation from medico-fascism!"

From this point of view the language of "Freedom Day!" is most unfortunate. It frames pandemic control measures primarily as a constraint that burdens people, not as a protection that benefits them, and that's precisely the opposite of the frame of mind you want them to be in. Letting people be responsible for their own decisions about this does really depend on people being, well, responsible in the decisions they make.

The messaging is very deliberate, it's intended to focus people on the positive aspects of enjoying life in the uncontrolled tail end of a pandemic.

It's somewhat similar to how in Blair's time the govt shifted messaging from "crime" to "fear of crime".

The idea is that once you've given up trying to stop crime/covid, you may as well focus on people's perceptions, which conveniently aligns with their voting intentions.

Just don't mention the long covid...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Boggles wrote: »

England's stated goal now is to get as many infected and as quickly as possible.

The language is quite stark from the CMO and Health Secretary, 'what we hope will happen' mixed with "uncertainty" and "uncharted territory".

So they are back to the herd immunity strategy? did they remember to do the math right this time?

VinLieger wrote: »
    So they are back to the herd immunity strategy? did they remember to do the math right this time?

that was never a strategy though, no matter how many times people say it was. The talk of herd immunity was just someone with very little experience of talking to the press, talking to the most rabid press in the world and getting thoroughly burned.

anyway, interesting article from the Beeb on the logic behind this

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57678942

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Boggles wrote: »

He also said that they could go as high as 100,000 a day.

For context, that 50,000 number would equate to 3,800 cases per day here. A sevenfold increase on current figures. Considering 1 in 20 people infected by Covid develop Long Covid, It might not turn out so well for the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,570 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Aegir wrote: »
    that was never a strategy though, no matter how many times people say it was.

Not according to Cummings.

Whether you believe him or not is another story.

He certainly has several axes to grind, but that doesn't automatically mean he is not telling the truth.

It is certainly the strategy now though.

Advertisement