Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Aegir wrote: »
    that was never a strategy though, no matter how many times people say it was. The talk of herd immunity was just someone with very little experience of talking to the press, talking to the most rabid press in the world and getting thoroughly burned.

anyway, interesting article from the Beeb on the logic behind this

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57678942

Yourself and the tories can rewrite history all you want, we know that Vallance was advocating for the herd immunity strategy and it was only in response to his disastrous kite flying interviews the UK didn't pursue it.

I get a herd immunity strategy makes some sense now but the way they are going about it is just irresponsible and populist. Quite simply Boris doesn't want to be in charge of covid strategy anymore or the results of it, so hes passing the buck off to the English citizens so he cant be lumbered with the very real potential catastrophic results.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

He also said that they could go as high as 100,000 a day.

For context, that 50,000 number would equate to 3,800 cases per day here. A sevenfold increase on current figures. Considering 1 in 20 people infected by Covid develop Long Covid, It might not turn out so well for the UK.

When was the 1 in 20 developing long covid stat from? Is that same ratio apply since vaccines were done in large numbers.

I saw mentions previously of people with long covid since wave 1 who then recovered from it post vaccination. Don't hear much about long covid at the moment though, mostly quiet on that front.

robinph wrote: »
    When was the 1 in 20 developing long covid stat from? Is that same ratio apply since vaccines were done in large numbers.

I saw mentions previously of people with long covid since wave 1 who then recovered from it post vaccination. Don't hear much about long covid at the moment though, mostly quiet on that front.

ISAG and independent SAGE have been claiming its 1 in 7 for long covid

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

It's from this article here written two weeks ago. The study was done between September 2020-February 2021. Some pertinent quotes:

Professor Paul Elliott, director of the REACT programme from Imperial’s School of Public Health, said: “Our findings do paint a concerning picture of the longer-term health consequences of COVID-19, which need to be accounted for in policy and planning.

Helen Ward, Professor of Public Health at the School of Public Health, said: “Our research shows that many people who have had COVID-19 will have lasting symptoms and for some these may have a big impact on their quality of life. Given the number of infections in England this represents a significant public health issue that needs to be urgently addressed through appropriate support and treatment.”

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yourself and the tories can rewrite history all you want, we know that Vallance was advocating for the herd immunity strategy and it was only in response to his disastrous kite flying interviews the UK didn't pursue it.

I get a herd immunity strategy makes some sense now but the way they are going about it is just irresponsible and populist. Quite simply Boris doesn't want to be in charge of covid strategy anymore or the results of it, so hes passing the buck off to the English citizens so he cant be lumbered with the very real potential catastrophic results.

rewrite history?

no, I am just able to read things without running around screaming outrage.

a good summary of what actually happened here https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/04/real-reason-uk-government-pursued-herd-immunity-and-why-it-was-abandoned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭brickster69

Boggles wrote: »

50,000 infections a day by "Freedom Day" according to Javid this morning.

Let's go toe to toe Delta you big bad mother fu##er

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭HalfAndHalf

You all lost months of life just this year due to a variant made in England.

They're soon opening up fully despite only being partially vaccinated. It's the ****ing perfect environment for a variant to emerge that further evades the vaccines.

I really can't get my head around why you'd cheer them on. You literally all just suffered due to Boris Johnson's mishandling of covid.

Jesus Christ!! Maybe if you took of your Brit hating tinted specs you’d start talking sense!

Variant made in England, Jaysus that’s some class A shinner spin right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

Dont really care what the tories do to their own population but concetning that are giving up on trying to contain covid and potentially giving a virus resistant variant the chance to circulate in a partially vaccinated population like a lab experiment. if a virus resistant strain does emerge, that plunges the rest of the world right back to Feb 2020.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Dont really care what the tories do to their own population but concetning that are giving up on trying to contain covid and potentially giving a virus resistant variant the chance to circulate in a partially vaccinated population like a lab experiment. if a virus resistant strain does emerge, that plunges the rest of the world right back to Feb 2020.

Here have some actual facts.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/how-dangerous-is-the-new-delta-plus-variant--heres-what-we-know

For a start you’re probably trying to say vaccine resistant strain, of which the delta is not. All there is so far is a ‘study’ in Israel that says the vaccine’s efficacy against delta is lower, not zero. I’ll wait for some more substantiated proof from elsewhere on that.

Additionally, when do YOU think we should re-open based on these vaccine resistant strains you mentioned? Never, just in case?

The majority of the U.K. are fully vaccinated providing an immunity to all known strains, of which there are many unknown strains.

We will have the majority fully vaccinated soon so why shouldn’t we try and recover people’s livelihoods, mental health, liberties etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ISAG and independent SAGE have been claiming its 1 in 7 for long covid

1 in 7 feels like way too high a number. With 5M positive tests in the UK so far, which will be under reported due to no testing early on, I'd have thought it would be more obvious if 1M people currently had long covid. Possibly I did my sums wrong there, but 1 in 7 doesn't sound right.
    It's from this article here written two weeks ago. The study was done between September 2020-February 2021. Some pertinent quotes:

Professor Paul Elliott, director of the REACT programme from Imperial’s School of Public Health, said: “Our findings do paint a concerning picture of the longer-term health consequences of COVID-19, which need to be accounted for in policy and planning.

Helen Ward, Professor of Public Health at the School of Public Health, said: “Our research shows that many people who have had COVID-19 will have lasting symptoms and for some these may have a big impact on their quality of life. Given the number of infections in England this represents a significant public health issue that needs to be urgently addressed through appropriate support and treatment.”

If it was only up until Feb 21 then it won't include any effects from vaccination. Could really do with seeing the same thing done again now with the vaccinated population.

• Advertisement

Jesus Christ!! Maybe if you took of your Brit hating tinted specs you’d start talking sense!

Variant made in England, Jaysus that’s some class A shinner spin right there.

The Alpha Variant originated in Kent.... spin that

1 in 7 feels like way too high a number. With 5M positive tests in the UK so far, which will be under reported due to no testing early on, I'd have thought it would be more obvious if 1M people currently had long covid. Possibly I did my sums wrong there, but 1 in 7 doesn't sound right.

If it was only up until Feb 21 then it won't include any effects from vaccination. Could really do with seeing the same thing done again now with the vaccinated population.

Ohh it absolutely is too high, ISAG et al have been spewing garbage skewed statistics for months now

And it isn’t vaccine resistant.

New strains appear regularly, nothing will prevent that.

No, the Alpha variant was first seen in Kent, based on U.K. scientists isolating the strain and stating the first case was from someone in Kent.

How do you know where it originated, could have started in France or any continental country based on the amount of Channel
    Hoppers arriving daily. Unless of course you’ve hard proof that it originated there.

But yeah, bloody Brits creating virus variants and letting them loose on the world. Bad Brits, evil Brits! LOL.

And it isn’t vaccine resistant.

New strains appear regularly, nothing will prevent that.

I don't think the claim was made that it was resistant I was simply pointing out its not spin to point out that the Alpha Variant originated in England.

But also a vaccine resistant strain absolutely has more chance of developing in a higher vaccinated country like England that suddenly lets the virus run rampant as they are choosing to do.

Im not saying it will but its entirely possible.

I don't think the claim was made that it was resistant I was simply pointing out its not spin to point out that the Alpha Variant originated in England.

But also a vaccine resistant strain absolutely has more chance of developing in a higher vaccinated country like England that suddenly lets the virus run rampant as they are choosing to do.

Im not saying it will but its entirely possible.

And I’ve dubunked your ‘it started in England’ non theory born out of Brit hate.

Your just posting random thoughts from your head, every country will open once the majority of citizens are vaccinated, so based on your ‘theory’, everywhere is going to create its own vaccine resistant strain.

Ridiculous posting.

No, the Alpha variant was first seen in Kent, based on U.K. scientists isolating the strain and stating the first case was from someone in Kent.

How do you know where it originated, could have started in France or any continental country based on the amount of Channel
    Hoppers arriving daily. Unless of course you’ve hard proof that it originated there.

But yeah, bloody Brits creating virus variants and letting them loose on the world. Bad Brits, evil Brits! LOL.

The overriding consensus is it originated in the UK, do you have evidence showing otherwise? Probably should let the WHO know in that case.

Also whats the obsession with rewriting history with regards to the UK? I know its what kids are taught to do in schools there by ignoring all the bad stuff the empire did but seriously stop only reading the express or the telegraph expand your horizons a bit more.

And I’ve dubunked your ‘it started in England’ non theory born out of Brit hate.

Your just posting random thoughts from your head, every country will open once the majority of citizens are vaccinated, so based on your ‘theory’, everywhere is going to create its own vaccine resistant strain.

Ridiculous posting.

LOL currently the UK is the highest vaccinated country that will be rolling back restrictions so completely and in one fell swoop.

Get over yourself FFS.

The overriding consensus is it originated in the UK, do you have evidence showing otherwise? Probably should let the WHO know in that case.

Also whats the obsession with rewriting history with regards to the UK? I know its what kids are taught to do in schools there by ignoring all the bad stuff the empire did but seriously stop only reading the express or the telegraph expand your horizons a bit more.

This is the consensus:

Where did the UK variant come from?

No one knows. The data suggests it arose fully formed in a single person. That could happen in a patient with a chronic Covid-19 infection, because the virus has time to mutate into many variants within one body. One possibility is that it arose in a patient with an impaired immune system who was treated over weeks or months with antibodies from a recovered patient. In this situation, the antibodies wipe out some variants of the virus, leaving others at least partially resistant to the treatment. Another hypothesis is that the variant was imported from another country. The origins of the South Africa variant are similarly unclear.

What are you even on about rewriting history, you’re just trying to turn this topic into Brit hating drivel, why don’t you go find a thread dedicated to Brit hating and stop posting incorrect ‘theories’ here. The Empire, Jaysus what are you even about!

LOL currently the UK is the highest vaccinated country that will be rolling back restrictions so completely and in one fell swoop.

Get over yourself FFS.

Wow! Can I have this Friday’s euromillions numbers please? LOL! Your jealousy and hatred cannot be doing you any good!

• Advertisement

Does it?

The virus isn't going away. at some point, we will all be vaccinated and the virus will be running around more or less unnoticed. it is either that. or we remain under constant states of lockdowns for ever.

Wow! Can I have this Friday’s euromillions numbers please? LOL! Your jealousy and hatred cannot be doing you any good!

Jealous of what? Of having almost twice the death rate per 1 million as Ireland? Yeah im suuuuuper jealous.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭brickster69

Should be 90% of 1st doses & 75% of second by the 19th.

https://twitter.com/BarryCPearson/status/1412391044671488009

All roads lead to Rome.

Does it?

The virus isn't going away. at some point, we will all be vaccinated and the virus will be running around more or less unnoticed. it is either that. or we remain under constant states of lockdowns for ever.

I agree its not going away which is why we should keep wearing masks for a good while longer while also reopening and getting economies going again. Masks cause no harm to anyone, are not restrictive in anyway despite what some morons claim and really do help prevent infections. They should absolutely be part of the living with covid strategy that helps us get back to living our lives like we used to. They are a tiny infinitesimal price to pay imo.

Jealous of what? Of having almost twice the death rate per 1 million as Ireland? Yeah im suuuuuper jealous.....

LOL, yeah just ignore everything else showing all your posts are born out of your hate for the Brits.

So you’re one of those treating all of this as big competition. Christ I’ve no more time for ya, surely you’re either trolling or spoofing!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Does it?

I guess the idea is that allowing the virus to thrive in a half vaccinated population will increase the selective pressure on any novel vaccine-resistant virus.
    That selection pressure would be far less if either very few people were vaccinated, or very few unvaccinated.
    (Hope that makes sense!)

well, we don't know that for certain, after the HSE failed to renew it's McAfee licence.

LOL, yeah just ignore everything else showing all your posts are born out of your hate for the Brits.

So you’re one of those treating all of this as big competition. Christ I’ve no more time for ya, surely you’re either trolling or spoofing!

Your claiming I think of this as a competition while also being the one who accused me of being jealous of the UK.....

Cognitive dissonance is a beautiful thing.

well, we don't know that for certain, after the HSE failed to renew it's McAfee licence.

LOL and apparently im the one turning it into a tit for tat competition.... if you want we can all play this game, wannacry much?

• Advertisement

The last few pages are exactly why they came up with the Alpha, Beta... variant names rather than sticking with geographical identification. People use the geographical terms to blame different locations they want to have a dig at and try and blame a country for something they had zero control over.

Whichever variant could have emerged in absolutely any location and nobody has any control over that. There is things you can do to prevent it gaining entry to your country, for which Johnson is due criticism for Delta. But absolutely nothing that anyone could do to prevent Alpha or Delta existing wherever it was that they happened to first emerge and then be detected.

Advertisement