Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's unproven except in lab tests, which were little more than proof of concept not reality.

This was reality:
    Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

“It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy places,” Burdick recalled. “We were making music and trying to keep a certain distance between each other.”

After 2½ hours, the singers parted ways at 9 p.m.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with COVID-19 or ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized, and two are dead.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-03-29/coronavirus-choir-outbreak

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

cnocbui wrote: »
    And again no evidence of it "lingering". What you can say is a choir will be pretty close together.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Japan is proof of concept that wearing a mask reduces the spread. It has 30 times the population of Ireland, fewer deaths due to Covid despite the disease being present longer and a MUCH higher population density.

I recommend distancing, hand washing and so on, but if I were limited to just one thing I could do, it would be wear a mask.
    Eh? How did Japan get into this? That's just evidence of mask wearing in Japan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

cnocbui wrote: »

And none of them coughing or sneezing. So spread by breathing, talking, singing which produces the smaller aerosols that can linger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Has there been any pub incidents outside of Dublin? I didn’t see any in Cork. Seems a bit strange that the Taoiseach wants to restrict pubs again when it’s a Dublin issue if there’s been no incidents outside of there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/2020/05/24/grocery-workers-coronavirus-risks/?arc404=true

Seems cases have been found employees have been tested in US. Could see that defence being deployed. I'd hope that no-one go it but statistically pretty unlikely.

By the end of April, employees at a Walmart in Quincy, Mass., were panicking: Sick colleagues kept showing up at work. Other employees disappeared without explanation. The store’s longtime greeter was in the hospital and on a ventilator, dying of covid-19.

Local health officials grew alarmed as employees and their relatives reported sick co-workers. Shoppers called to complain about crowded conditions.

Under pressure from the health department, Walmart then closed the store for a week, cleaned it and offered testing to every worker. In all, 34 employees at that location tested positive. In Worcester, more than 80 employees were infected, health officials said.

“We have had consistent problems with Walmart,” wrote Ruth Jones, Quincy’s health commissioner, in an April 28 email to the Massachusetts attorney general’s office. “They have a cluster of Covid cases among employees and have not been cooperative in giving us contact information or in following proper quarantine and isolation guidelines.”

Fear of retaliation

As infections have spread within supermarkets, employees at two national chains said that stores retaliated against them for speaking up about safety or discussing sick colleagues.

When a Target manager informed Michael Branss in late April that a co-worker in Palatine, Ill., had tested positive for the coronavirus, Branss said the manager also told him not to talk about the case.

A few hours later, Branss said, he was called into the human resources office and reprimanded for talking about the sick employee. He was told the store was concerned about following federal privacy laws.

No reporting requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I was looking at Israel because they are shutting bars and gyms again and I noticed they have almost 9 million pop in 22000 square miles, we have 5 million pop in 80000 square miles ( all approx.). They have recorded 30000 cases recorded, us 25000. Dont know if their testing is as good as us. They have had 300 deaths, us 1700 aprox. We have not done all that splendidly given the space we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Down to 16 English deaths today.

Has there been any pub incidents outside of Dublin? I didn’t see any in Cork. Seems a bit strange that the Taoiseach wants to restrict pubs again when it’s a Dublin issue if there’s been no incidents outside of there.
    There was a quote from the Commissioner who said Dublin was treated as a public order incident otherwise it was generally good all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Igotadose wrote: »
    Japan is proof of concept that wearing a mask reduces the spread. It has 30 times the population of Ireland, fewer deaths due to Covid despite the disease being present longer and a MUCH higher population density.

I recommend distancing, hand washing and so on, but if I were limited to just one thing I could do, it would be wear a mask.

If didn't exist in Japan til the Olympics were cancelled...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

owlbethere wrote: »
    We moved mountains as a country and a population to control the spread of the virus. I've been pro restrictions from the early days but now I don't care any more. I see so many people who are so rude when coughing and sneezing in public and it's always from the older generation. At this stage, let the virus rip through the population and fcuk the mannerless c*nts into their ICU beds and graves.

There's that honesty I was looking for. F*ck you too.

There was a quote from the Commissioner who said Dublin was treated as a public order incident otherwise it was generally good all round.

Why are they going restricting pubs so? Michael Martin said on Cork’s RedFM today pubs mightn’t be unrestricted in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Gruffalox wrote: »
    I was looking at Israel because they are shutting bars and gyms again and I noticed they have almost 9 million pop in 22000 square miles, we have 5 million pop in 80000 square miles ( all approx.). They have recorded 30000 cases recorded, us 25000. Dont know if their testing is as good as us. They have had 300 deaths, us 1700 aprox. We have not done all that splendidly given the space we have.

I think if you look deeper you'll see Israel's done quite well wrt testing. 120,000 per million (versus 90,000 for Ireland). Further, they got into testing *very* early on. They've had 36 deaths per million, Ireland 353.

Why are they going restricting pubs so? Michael Martin said on Cork’s RedFM today pubs mightn’t be unrestricted in two weeks.
    It's that Dublin thing and another "Now,children" speech!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Eh? How did Japan get into this? That's just evidence of mask wearing in Japan.

It's evidence that mask wearing prevents disease spread, and by correlation, the disease is spread by aerosols or droplets when breathing/singing/coughing.

I was responding to someone saying we need a study to put to bed (something) about aerosols and Covid. We don't. Japan proves that masks work well enough to stop wasting time on studies that confirm it's spread in the air, and just wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

MD1990 wrote: »
    352 new cases in the UK. 16 deaths.

Great to see that the UK are finally showing some real progress.

Whats interesting me here is these are similar to Italy figures from about 2 weeks back, with a similar population size, and the peak is approx 2 weeks in the difference as well. Italy had more deaths per day 2 weeks ago but we know UK monday numbers are far lower due to their weekend effect. But very different lockdowns, italian was extremely strict, vs a more lax approach in UK.

Could this mean it's just following the same pattern everywhere? What was most interesting to me was that London was hit hard, but peaked and fell before the rest of the UK, even though lockdown was imposed country-wide at same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

There was a quote from the Commissioner who said Dame Lane was treated as a public order incident otherwise it was generally good all round.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/justice-minister-warns-of-fresh-pubs-crackdown-if-rules-continue-to-be-broken-39343668.html
    The Garda Commissioner said that over the weekend Gardai carried out 6,000 visits to licensed premises and, "what we found were the vast majority were compliant. We did find breaches of the regulations, we also found breaches of the licensing laws as well in a minority of cases.

"We also found a situation which was highlighted on social media in Dame Lane (Dublin), which was a public order situation and was dealt with as such.’

‘This has been a collective effort by society, I know there was shock at the scenes over the weekend, those scenes were pretty much isolated to one place. The broader picture is one of compliance and people particularly businesses doing their best."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It’s a sad day when a country’s leader panders to social media hype and curtain twitching brigade

Isolated incidents blown into big issue, threatening the Irish populous with his Uber conservatism

• Registered Users Posts: 20,008 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And again no evidence of it "lingering". What you can say is a choir will be pretty close together.

I'll tell you what; I am not satisfied with the NCAP crash testing of cars using dummies, so I'll just I volunteer a suitable substitute - namely yourself - so that I can be satisfied that the tests are applicable to real life events.
    Coronavirus Lingers in Air of Crowded Spaces, New Study Finds
    Marthe Fourcade
    27/04/2020

People produce two types of droplets when they breathe, cough or talk. Larger ones drop to the ground before they evaporate, causing contamination mostly via the objects on which they settle. Smaller ones -- those that make up aerosols -- can hang in the air for hours.

They found few aerosols in patient wards, supermarkets and residential buildings. Many more were detected in toilets and two areas that had large crowds passing through, including an indoor space near one of the hospitals.

Especially high concentrations appeared in the rooms where medical staff doff protective equipment, which may suggest that particles contaminating their gear became airborne again when masks, gloves and gowns are removed.

The findings highlight the importance of ventilation, limiting crowds and careful sanitation efforts, the researchers said.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-lingers-in-air-of-crowded-spaces-new-study-finds/ar-BB13gyyG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I'd say probably but maybe people there didn't film it and post it online potentially. I don't think the government would actually do that when they brought forward date pubs could open by 3 weeks. Would reflect badly on them and vinters would go mad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

8 deaths and 208 cases in Italy today.

8 deaths and 208 cases in Italy today.

Jaysus thought that was Ireland for a second

Travel still advised against til 20th as reported https://twitter.com/paulcolgan/status/1280172579760869377?s=19

Eod100 wrote: »
    Travel still advised against til 20th as reported https://twitter.com/paulcolgan/status/1280172579760869377?s=19
    You mean travel thats advised against but nothing will really happen to you if you do travel and they're only saying it's advised against because they know everyone's going to do it anyway, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭gifted

So flights are still flying out?

And flights are still coming in?

COVID dashboard just updated, the new positivity rate for the past 7 days is just 0.2% in Ireland with 42,000 tests conducted in the past 7 days including 6500 in the last 24 hours.

You mean travel thats advised against but nothing will really happen to you if you do travel and they're only saying it's advised against because they know everyone's going to do it anyway, right?

Don't shoot the messenger! :) Its same guidelines as always and like with all guidelines people always have option whether to follow or not sure. But think it means travel insurance wouldn't be valid for travel so does have some practical consequences

Eod100 wrote: »
    Don't shoot the messenger! :) Its same guidelines as always and like with all guidelines people always have option whether to follow or not sure. But think it means travel insurance wouldn't be valid for travel so does have some practical consequences
    Yeah I'm only messing. They're saying a lot and doing very little!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

No essential travel banned til the 20th - confirmed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

17% of new cases related to overseas travel. Worrying how obvious it is what a problem it is, yet no actual firm rules or hard enforcement of arrival isolation.

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1280173392533094401?s=21

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement