Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Unless she's on the smt she'd very likely not know. So you believe not one cluster in an Irish retail or airline environment. Does that not strike you as odd when you look at any other county.

What I find odd is you are making absolutely baseless claims and when asked for evidence you can't provide any. Honestly what is the reason to post this type of scaremongering crap, do you get off on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Unless she's on the smt she'd very likely not know. So you believe not one cluster in an Irish retail or airline environment. Does that not strike you as odd when you look at any other county.

You claim to know shops that have closed due to outbreaks, why don't you name them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/06/supermarket-workers-deaths-coronavirus-/

It’s like the Iranian airlines can spread it but irish ones can’t.

Supermarkets are not going to go out of their way to say staff had it.
    Staff aren’t going to go out of their way to say they had it as they may not be wanted back in work given the uncertainty around recovery time’s etc.

It's like Iranian planes crash a lot but Irish ones don't.

Maybe European airlines service the filters and aircon on their planes a bit more. Maybe the Iranians remove the filters rather than replace them due to costs, what with sanctions and hard currency.

Your link is behind a paywall for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You claim to know shops that have closed due to outbreaks, why don't you name them?

It's irrelevant, I'm be bashed as it's supposedly fake news, what does naming them do, it's still fake news as no journalist wrote a story about it.
    I'm not trying to scaremonger, I'm just pointing out that people are nieave to believe that there was not one outbreak in an airline or retail environment during the whole pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/06/supermarket-workers-deaths-coronavirus-/

It’s like the Iranian airlines can spread it but irish ones can’t.

Supermarkets are not going to go out of their way to say staff had it.
    Staff aren’t going to go out of their way to say they had it as they may not be wanted back in work given the uncertainty around recovery time’s etc.

Supermarkets have said some of their staff contracted the virus, workers are entitled to the €350 payment if self isolating. A payment quite close to average pay in Supermarkets. Why are you fuelling the nonsense posted by the other poster who refuses to back up his claims?

• Advertisement

It's irrelevant, I'm be bashed as it's supposedly fake news, what does naming them do, it's still fake news as no journalist wrote a story about it.
    I'm not trying to scaremonger, I'm just pointing out that people are nieave to believe that there was not one outbreak in an airline or retail environment during the whole pandemic.
    So you make a claim but it's irrelevant to offer proof. I offered to pass on details of these stores that you claimed closed due to an outbreak to a journalist friend of mine but you won't name them. The offer to PM the names still stands.
    Your refusal to do so can only lead one to assume you're telling lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

cnocbui wrote: »
    It's like Iranian planes crash a lot but Irish ones don't.

Maybe European airlines service the filters and aircon on their planes a bit more. Maybe the Iranians remove the filters rather than replace them due to costs, what with sanctions and hard currency.

Your link is behind a paywall for me.

Maybe baby.

It’s like there was no nosocomial transmission within healthcare settings. The HSE left the column blank. Now the majority of health care workers ‘probably’ got infected in a healthcare setting.

Nice bit of wiggle room there from a legal perspective. Tells us what we already knew really.
    Despite people saying prove it , prove it , prove it.

New pathogen. people dead. 7 health care workers died. Pays to be cautious. I’m sure there will be a lovely retrospective enquiry with no powers that will conclude.” How were we to know?”
    “There was no evidence”
    “Legally we are covered”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

This table up to the end of June is pretty shocking. I don't think PPE was adequate. Of course it was just all those people who got it who are at fault.
    Even the current guidance doesn't acknowledge the potential for aerosol transmission. Whatever about fomite transmission. The report also states that 7 HCW died with Covid. No I know you'll say that they probably fell off their bike and happened to have Covid but still shocking in my mind.

No Profession in a hospital setting was unscathed. And most got it in a "health care setting"

519014.png

519017.png

Link: https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_29062020_v1.0%20HPSC%20website%2001%2007%202020.pdf
    I would love to know how,where and when(dates) the healthcare staff who got from travel got it. Where they one of the biggest seeders in that setting?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭joeguevara

What I find odd is you are making absolutely baseless claims and when asked for evidence you can't provide any. Honestly what is the reason to post this type of scaremongering crap, do you get off on it?

The only time I remember it happening was early on, on the Dunnes twitter feed it said that it had closed one of its shops for 24 hours in order to do a deep clean after one of its employees had been diagnosed with Covid. It did not say which shop and was a bit pointless really.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Garda commissioner happy enough after the weekend

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0706/1151582-coronavirus-ireland/

"Garda Commissioner Drew Harris has said most pubs have complied with Covid-19 restrictions after they reopened under Phase 3 of the lifting of restrictions.

He said gardaí visited 6,000 licensed premises over the weekend and the vast majority were in compliance.

Asked about scenes of crowds drinking outside pubs in Dublin city centre, he said that was a single incident and was dealt with as a public order situation."

• Advertisement

So you make a claim but it's irrelevant to offer proof. I offered to pass on details of these stores that you claimed closed due to an outbreak to a journalist friend of mine but you won't name them. The offer to PM the names still stands.
    Your refusal to do so can only lead one to assume you're telling lies.

They only thing people will accept as proof is if a Journalist prints a story. No story was printed that does not mean something didn't happen.
    So you can dismiss it as fake news, I don't care. I'd blame useless Journalism. It took the Irish Times 4 days to break a story after I reported it to them and posted it in a thread here before the news broke. Dismissed as fake news here though as usual, turns out I was correct.

They only thing people will accept as proof is if a Journalist prints a story. No story was printed that does not mean something didn't happen.
    So you can dismiss it as fake news, I don't care. I'd blame useless Journalism. It took the Irish Times 4 days to break a story after I reported it to them and posted it in a thread here before the news broke. Dismissed as fake news here though as usual, turns out I was correct.

Thanks so it's fair to assume you're telling lies. I offered you the opportunity to provide me names so I could pass on to my friend but you refuse to do so.
    You should be ashamed of yourself, some people will believe your nonsense and be terrified of going to a shop.
    Although it's comforting to see the usual fearmongerers are the only ones thanking you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

So very sad about Nick Cordero. Only 41 with a wife and one year old son - utterly heartbreaking. I'd been following his story and I was really hoping he'd make it. Over 90 days in ICU and having read about the various complications, he really did fight to stay alive. I can't believe how devastating this virus is. This story is a stark reminder that it's not just the elderly who are affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Supermarkets have said some of their staff contracted the virus, workers are entitled to the €350 payment if self isolating. A payment quite close to average pay in Supermarkets. Why are you fuelling the nonsense posted by the other poster who refuses to back up his claims?

PUP has its own disadvantages where I see people will just avoid it if they have mild symptoms. It's not much different than the scene near dublin pubs where social distancing is thrown out just for a pint.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Thanks so it's fair to assume you're telling lies. I offered you the opportunity to provide me names so I could pass on to my friend but you refuse to do so.
    You should be ashamed of yourself, some people will believe your nonsense and be terrified of going to a shop.

Why do you want names in a newspaper? And ruin businesses with people avoiding the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Lidl stated 11 of their staff contracted the virus out of a workforce of 4500 all recovered. Name the shops that closed because of an outbreak. I have a friend who works for a newspaper in Galway. I'll pass on the details to her .

some small shops up country had cases this was reported in media but it was a very small number.

Why do you want names in a newspaper? And ruin businesses with people avoiding the shops.

It makes him sound in control here that's all. Doesn't believe in Jesus either we can safely assume.
    The ones I'm referring to the shops did close but this is a few months ago, it's not something would concern me now. It's not scaremongering I'm just pointing out it can and has happened.
    I don't wear masks and I'm not afraid of shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Although it's comforting to see the usual fearmongerers are the only ones thanking you here.

Woo wooo wooo. That's a bit harsh. There is evidence to suggest. Ireland has been less than transparent about relative risk in some settings. Hospitals was one, airplanes another. Supermarkets are essential and there is a very large anti-panic -> shut your mouth faction cowing people to toe the party line.

I don't like bullies and calling someone a liar on a forum isn't on. I don't care your reasons for why you wanted everything back to normal.

Chill out. Read a book. or or or a scientific paper. You might learn something.

The general gist of your argument. In Ireland nobody got it in any of those venues. They got it on their own. It's their own fault and there's no proof so move on.
    Objective: To explore clustered epidemic of COVID-19 in Liaocheng city and analyze infection status and chain of transmission of the cases. Methods: A joint investigation team of emergency response for COVID-19 epidemic by CDC professional workers of Liaocheng city and district at two levels on January 30, 2020. According to a indicator case from ZH supermarkets, close contacts and related subjects were tracked and screened on February 1, including ZH supermarket employees, family members having contact history with related cases during January 13-26, supermarket clients during January 16-30 and family members of related cases. an epidemiological investigation was carried on and their swab of nose /throat were collected and were sent to Liaocheng CDC laboratory, real-time fluorescence quantitative RT-PCR was used to detect nucleic acids of SARS-CoV-2. Results: a total of 8 437 people were screened during January 30 to February 9, 2020 (120 employees of supermarket, 93 family members, and 8224 clients of supermarket). The epidemic was caused by ZH cases and brought clustered cases in four families. A total 25 cases of SARS-CoV-2 infection, the total infection rate of subjects was 0.30% (25/8 437) with 22 confirmed cases (0.26%, 22/8 437) and 3 asymptomatic patients (0.04%, 3/8 437), asymptomatic patients accounted for 12.00% (3/25) of all infection cases. The infection rates of supermarket employees, family members of confirmed cases and supermarket clients were 9.17% (11/120), 12.90% (12/93) and 0.02% (2/8 224). Conclusions: This was a cluster epidemic caused by one imported case of COVID-19 in a supermarket of Liaocheng city. Prevention and control of cluster epidemic should be focused on chain of community transmission and family cluster cases. It must also be an attention for transmission risk of asymptomatic patients

https://europepmc.org/article/med/32340093

It makes him sound in control here that's all. Doesn't believe in Jesus either we can safely assume.
    The ones I'm referring to the shops did close but this is a few months ago, it's not something would concern me now. It's not scaremongering I'm just pointing out it can and has happened.
    I don't wear masks and I'm not afraid of shops.

Control? I asked you to back up your claims. You have repeatedly refused to do so. Lies hurt baby Jesus.

Control? I asked you to back up your claims. You have repeatedly refused to do so. Lies hurt baby Jesus.

You're asking them for names of shops and will be going to the newspapers. That's horrible behaviour, ruining shops and giving them a bad name due to no fault of their own. I'm glad they closed, they done something to prevent the spread of it. But naming shops isn't all that fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Spanish researchers finding that herd immunity might not be possible for Covid-19: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

Only 5% of their population have antibodies. Some more (harder to measure) might have no antibodies but have developed T-cells which fight the virus, rather than antibodies which prevent it infecting you. But, T-cells are hard to measure and though they may prevent you from becoming symptomatic, they might not prevent the spread. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53248660

Best you can do: wear a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Igotadose wrote: »
    Spanish researchers finding that herd immunity might not be possible for Covid-19: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/spain-coronavirus-antibody-study-lancet-intl/index.html

Only 5% of their population have antibodies. Some more (harder to measure) might have no antibodies but have developed T-cells which fight the virus, rather than antibodies which prevent it infecting you. But, T-cells are hard to measure and though they may prevent you from becoming symptomatic, they might not prevent the spread. https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53248660

Best you can do: wear a mask.

No - best you can do is keep distance, wash hands, keep environments well ventilated - while wearing a mask is also good, its only a part of the puzzle.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    No - best you can do is keep distance, wash hands, keep environments well ventilated - while wearing a mask is also good, its only a part of the puzzle.

Actually, you can keep your distance all you want, it doesn't stop aerosols lingering in the air. Wearing a mask is probably the most important part of the puzzle by keeping your germs to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Actually, you can keep your distance all you want, it doesn't stop aerosols lingering in the air. Wearing a mask is probably the most important part of the puzzle by keeping your germs to yourself.
    That's unproven except in lab tests, which were little more than proof of concept not reality.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,718 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not surprisingly one of the regular fearmongerers have thanked your post.
    Discuss the topic, not other users

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's unproven except in lab tests, which were little more than proof of concept not reality.

Yet 239 scientists have evidence of aerosol transmission

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.ecowatch.com/amp/airborne-coronavirus-who-science-2646347672

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

352 new cases in the UK. 16 deaths.

Great to see that the UK are finally showing some real progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

You said it lingers, there is no proof of that. They are claiming that it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,085 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

is_that_so wrote: »

Japan is proof of concept that wearing a mask reduces the spread. It has 30 times the population of Ireland, fewer deaths due to Covid despite the disease being present longer and a MUCH higher population density.

I recommend distancing, hand washing and so on, but if I were limited to just one thing I could do, it would be wear a mask.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement