Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

17% of a very low number is nothing to worry about and is not surprising considering the risk is from abroad and not from within Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

COVID dashboard just updated, the new positivity rate for the past 7 days is just 0.2% in Ireland with 42,000 tests conducted in the past 7 days including 6500 in the last 24 hours.

The number of positive cases has increased by 56 over the past 48 hours (they don't update on Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah I'm only messing. They're saying a lot and doing very little!

Ah I know! At same time not sure what else they could do. Saw Dr. Colm Henry said he would support mandatory quarantine for people arriving from high risk country but not sure that will ever happen. Think gov is hoping non essential travel advice and existence of guidelines on self isolation may deter people but no legal basis or massive enforcement so not major deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

They're so worried about international travel yet we're doing literally nothing about it. Increase the testing base, hire more labs, test on arrival, enforce mandatory quarantine. It's not rocket science like.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,211 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Has there been any pub incidents outside of Dublin? I didn’t see any in Cork. Seems a bit strange that the Taoiseach wants to restrict pubs again when it’s a Dublin issue if there’s been no incidents outside of there.

Its not even a pub issue, they were standing around with bags of cans. Not exactly sure how the pubs can take the flack for it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

fritzelly wrote: »
    No essential travel banned til the 20th - confirmed

Banned? Not sure banned is the right word. "not advised" is more appropriate.

All these arrivals to and departures from Dublin Airport today are evidence that travel is not banned. I hardly believe they were all essential as well.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals
    https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Banned? Not sure banned is the right word. "not advised" is more appropriate.

All these arrivals to and departures from Dublin Airport today are evidence that travel is not banned. I hardly believe they were all essential as well.

https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-arrivals
    https://www.dublinairport.com/flight-information/live-departures

Wonder what sort of capacity were on those flights though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

I see on the Covid hub that the positivity rate dropped from 6.3 to 6.1% just there 6500 tests done over the weekend.

is_that_so wrote: »
    There was a quote from the Commissioner who said Dublin was treated as a public order incident otherwise it was generally good all round.

Yup he was happy enough said the vast majority were complient and dame lane was treated as a public order incident which it was seeing as people went to the shops and came back with cans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Igotadose wrote: »
    Japan is proof of concept that wearing a mask reduces the spread. It has 30 times the population of Ireland, fewer deaths due to Covid despite the disease being present longer and a MUCH higher population density.

I recommend distancing, hand washing and so on, but if I were limited to just one thing I could do, it would be wear a mask.

I don't buy that - take Thailand as a counter example, does not have a tradition of mask wearing and their numbers are better than Japans.

Don't get me wrong I think mask wearing can help - but not as much as distancing, handwashing and good ventilation. I am still in favour of mask wearing in congested places with poor ventilation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Around 6500 tests completed in last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The number of positive cases has increased by 56 over the past 48 hours (they don't update on Sunday).

So we expecting 38 cases today ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Fairly clear the logic being applied.

Economy > schools > travel

If travel causes outbreak....
    Schools won’t open in September.....
    People will struggle to get to work without kids in school.....
    Economy would be more fvcked then, than if we were to give air travel green light.

MM doing right thing. Could do with Leo’s spin doctor for the polish. Substance more important than style in this scenario.

Why are they going restricting pubs so? Michael Martin said on Cork’s RedFM today pubs mightn’t be unrestricted in two weeks.

to slap everyone on the wrist and give them a warning. Its childish to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,459 ✭✭✭shinzon

Stephen Donnelly at the press conference saying the contact tracing app is set to launch tomorrow.

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fairly clear the logic being applied.

Economy > schools > travel

If travel causes outbreak....
    Schools won’t open in September.....
    People will struggle to get to work without kids in school.....
    Economy would be more fvcked then, than if we were to give air travel green light.

MM doing right thing. Could do with Leo’s spin doctor for the polish. Substance more important than style in this scenario.
    What has MM done?

He is treating the US I he same as Luxembourg or any zero covid country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

So we expecting 38 cases today ?

No. This is positive tests, so includes multiple positive tests for the same positive case.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

It’s a sad day when a country’s leader panders to social media hype and curtain twitching brigade

Isolated incidents blown into big issue, threatening the Irish populous with his Uber conservatism

Nanny state

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You mean travel thats advised against but nothing will really happen to you if you do travel and they're only saying it's advised against because they know everyone's going to do it anyway, right?

If the government don't want people to travel they can impose a travel ban, why the dithering is beyond me. I have friends travelling to Malaga in August. I'm going away aswell.

Well its not really banned as there really isn't anything to stop someone going on holidays if they want to. Fill in the form on your way back in simple as

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

It's not banned, there is an advisory not to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Lot of positives to take from this imo. Overall message far clearer. Really hitting home the message to not travel and being strong about it. Not the half arsed, non-committed sort of message about travel and face masks we've been getting from the previous government.

App launching tomorrow.

Designated "co-vid team" to be arranged to help improve contact tracing.

Looking into the idea of testing at airports.

Already a far more proactive feel to this new government. More positives in that than anything Leo and Harris have been saying for the last 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

If the gov rules in regards to pubs weren't absolutely rubbish in the first place there would be no issue. Blaming the people again for their incompetence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well its not really banned as there really isn't anything to stop someone going on holidays if they want to. Fill in the form on your way back in simple as

Yeah banned wrong word but telling us not to travel - still not stopping anyone come here while telling us not to leave the country
    Double standards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Minor change will be a digitised form in the coming weeks, with data directly from airline. Assume it'll be a check box when checking in or a separate form to be filled when checking in/booking, similar to advanced passenger info that come countries require.

If the government don't want people to travel they can impose a travel ban, why the dithering is beyond me. I have friends travelling to Malaga in August. I'm going away aswell.

likewise off to Lanzarote in August.

They love throwing out the 17% of cases are travel related, 17% of how many cases ?? A bit of reality would be give the number of cases not the percentage.

But sure look we must know different than every other country in the EU.

They may forget about a bigger chunk of the EU recovery fund as well. Not a hope in hell would Ireland get a bigger amount now when we're out on our own in terms of travel

Minor change will be a digitised form in the coming weeks, with data directly from airline. Assume it'll be a check box when checking in or a separate form to be filled when checking in/booking, similar to advanced passenger info that come countries require.

Yup have filled those sort of forms in on airlines websites before travelling a few times, very straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

MM saying lots of words and not making an actual point

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

The press conference was an absolute joke. We don’t have a new ‘Government’, we’ve a crowd of chancers not fit to occupy their positions.
    Stephen Donnelly who can be so vocal in opposition, gets his chance and hides behind NPHET. This is not governing. You need to take the information to hand and make a broad decision based on the effects to all society, not just tunnel eradication vision.
    If this new ‘Government’ are saying don’t travel - cancel the flights. Reimburse families of their thousands invested and don’t dare pretend this is one for the team, it is not. There are plenty of EU destinations perfectly safe to visit which our counterparts are doing right now.
    Don’t allow in US citizens and U.K. and pretend we’ve a ‘quarantine’ which we don’t.
    Why were so many over 60s on a flight to Alicante today from Cork? Check the Spain travel thread.
    And don’t even get me started about the economy and how many jobs this is going to cost people? Why are we so different to Germany who are currently able to travel all across the EU?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

doobie doobie doo thats all Martin says

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement