Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

big syke wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irelands-current-coronavirus-cases-locations-22308769

surely this is some kind of reclassification of location? 51 in Kildare in 2 weeks and 7 in Dublin?

Dublin had about 70 cases reclassified to Kildare and Wicklow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

You really don't want it to possibly be true that supermarkets mightn't be that dangerous do you :)

I think it's you who can't accept that everywhere people go, is a possibility of picking it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

I think it's you who can't accept that everywhere people go, is a possibility of picking it up.

Indeed but there are different risks. I don’t think a supermarket which has capacity limited to allow for social distancing and has Perspex screen protecting staff is a high risk.

However, a packed bar or club when C-19 is active in the community is a high risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

You are absolutely correct to say that the its possible to contract the virus in most settings.

But as of yet we have not seen any clusters or spikes associated with shops/supermarkets. This would indicate that they are currently low risk environments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Two more fear mongering articles leading the IT home page now, one on MM claiming the 20th July pub reopening may be pushed back and another poor woman who lost a husband and son who had covid. If the IT was a man they'd have blisters on their hand for the amount of pulling themselves off on misery articles they're doing.

• Advertisement

The chances of picking it up in public now in Ireland is limited at best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Define "public"? And why now but not a few weeks ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Two more fear mongering articles leading the IT home page now, one on MM claiming the 20th July pub reopening may be pushed back and another poor woman who lost a husband and son who had covid. If the IT was a man they'd have blisters on their hand for the amount of pulling themselves off on misery articles they're doing.

There's a few here that would fit that profile you mention. Driven by fear and misery.

Define "public"? And why now but not a few weeks ago?

Public = shops, restaurants, out walking etc. Our case incidence is lowest in Europe, that’s why.
    I’d argue the only place you’d catch it now is off someone you know or in a hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

This table up to the end of June is pretty shocking. I don't think PPE was adequate. Of course it was just all those people who got it who are at fault.
    Even the current guidance doesn't acknowledge the potential for aerosol transmission. Whatever about fomite transmission. The report also states that 7 HCW died with Covid. No I know you'll say that they probably fell off their bike and happened to have Covid but still shocking in my mind.

No Profession in a hospital setting was unscathed. And most got it in a "health care setting"

519014.png

519017.png

Link: https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-19casesinhealthcareworkers/COVID-19_HCW_weekly_report_29062020_v1.0%20HPSC%20website%2001%2007%202020.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

Public = shops, restaurants, out walking etc. Our case incidence is lowest in Europe, that’s why.
    I’d argue the only place you’d catch it now is off someone you know or in a hospital.

I'd love to have your thinking, but accepting tourists from America is a huge risk. Anyone working with the public is at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

ShyMets wrote: »
    But as of yet we have not seen any clusters or spikes associated with shops/supermarkets. This would indicate that they are currently low risk environments.

We have seen them they just haven't been reported. I know of a few shops/supermarkets that had to close. They were not reported on as clusters or mentioned. I can't back it up as it wasn't reported on all I can say is I've seen it with my own two eyes.
    It's a bit like the airline staff, are we to believe they never had a cluster.

We have seen them they just haven't been reported. I know of a few shops/supermarkets that had to close. They were not reported on as clusters or mentioned. I can't back it up as it wasn't reported on all I can say is I've seen it with my own two eyes.

"I can't back it up" , but honestly it's true. lol. Sweet Jesus I've read it all now.
    You really should be posting in the conspiracy forum.
    Not surprisingly one of the regular fearmongerers have thanked your post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think minuscule is the word you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Remind me where I said there was no possibility of picking it up everywhere people go?

cnocbui wrote: »
    How do they know their staff haven't caught it? Has their been a mass testing program of every employee in multiple supermarkets, which would be the only way to know, given that this is a mild, in some cases unnoticeable, disease for the vast majority of people?

You'd have to ask them. But they said it, and presumably based it on the sick leave. As for the mild, unnoticeable disease for the vast majority, wouldn't disagree with you, but still no need for masks then.

If there had been a big issue with supermarkets which were open throughout we would not have been able to crush the curve.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭celt262

cnocbui wrote: »
    I think minuscule is the word you are looking for.

I would agree with that at the moment and hopefully it stays that way. I personally think there will be a bit of a spike in the next few weeks.

"I can't back it up" , but honestly it's true. lol. Sweet Jesus I've read it all now.
    You really should be posting in the conspiracy forum.
    Not surprisingly one of the regular fearmongerers have thanked your post.

I can't because no newspapers ran a story, you'd want to be pretty nieave to believe no retail staff or airline staff contacted it.

I can't because no newspapers ran a story, you'd want to be pretty nieave to believe no retail staff or airline staff contacted it.

well you saw these shops close with your "own two eyes" so at least let us know which shops?

celt262 wrote: »
    I would agree with that at the moment and hopefully it stays that way. I personally think there will be a bit of a spike in the next few weeks.

I agree that with restrictions being lifted there will be increased cases. Hopefully not as much as a 'spike' but increases nonetheless. And hopefully contact tracing will keep things under control. It's inevitable as restrictions ease, and is not a reason for not proceeding imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,182 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

This kind of baseless scaremongering should be deleted, there are people reading this who will be afraid to go to the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

No deaths in NI, Scotland or Wales today.

Lidl stated 11 of their staff contracted the virus out of a workforce of 4500 all recovered. Name the shops that closed because of an outbreak. I have a friend who works for a newspaper in Galway. I'll pass on the details to her .

Lidl stated 11 of their staff contracted the virus out of a workforce of 4500 all recovered. Name the shops that closed because of an outbreak. I have a friend who works for a newspaper in Galway. I'll pass on the details to her .

What numbers did Centra give? What numbers did An Post give?
    Where's the data from the airlines? What details did other retailers give?
    If you think it's impossible that none of them had an outbreak I don't know what to say, should everyone go work in a shop as it provides immunity?
    I'm not going to name individual businesses just like everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/04/06/supermarket-workers-deaths-coronavirus-/

It’s like the Iranian airlines can spread it but irish ones can’t.

Supermarkets are not going to go out of their way to say staff had it.
    Staff aren’t going to go out of their way to say they had it as they may not be wanted back in work given the uncertainty around recovery time’s etc.

What numbers did Centra give? What numbers did An Post give?
    Where's the data from the airlines? What details did other retailers give?
    If you think it's impossible that none of them had an outbreak I don't know what to say, should everyone go work in a shop as it provides immunity?
    I'm not going to name individual businesses just like everyone else.
    My wife works in retail and has worked continuously since the outbreak neither her or any of her colleagues contracted the virus. She works for a chain and she's not aware of anyone contracting the virus in other stores either.
    Feel free to PM the names of the shops, no need to name them here.
    Btw I didn't say anything was impossible, you made a claim but won't offer any evidence to back it up, why?

My wife works in retail and has worked continuously since the outbreak neither her or any of her colleagues contracted the virus. She works for a chain and she's not aware of anyone contracting the virus in other stores either.
    Feel free to PM the names of the shops, no need to name them here.

Unless she's on the smt she'd very likely not know. So you believe not one cluster in an Irish retail or airline environment. Does that not strike you as odd when you look at any other county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭PopTarts

10 cases in ICU now (1 Discharged)
    20 Cases in Hospital (1 Admission / 2 Discharged)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Unless she's on the smt she'd very likely not know. So you believe not one cluster in an Irish retail or airline environment. Does that not strike you as odd when you look at any other county.

I'm sure if one of the chains was closed due to an outbreak they'd know.

• Advertisement

Seroprevelance in Spain. Up to 15% in some spots.

gr2.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement