Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid19 Part XIX-25,802 in ROI (1,753 deaths) 5,859 in NI (556 deaths) (21/07)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    Professor Devi Sridhar in Scotland is strongly against the idea of governments switching on and off lockdowns. She thinks it's like a fire brigade chasing around the place desperately trying to put out new outbreaks.

She reckons mass testing and contact tracing, coupled with social distancing and face masks is the way to go.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/22/pandemic-zero-coronavirus-britain
    Uruguay and Cuba would seem to agree on the mass testing.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2247740-how-cuba-and-uruguay-are-quashing-coronavirus-as-neighbours-struggle/

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Another day, another quack with an article on the home page of the IT.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-could-eliminate-covid-19-within-months-with-tighter-restrictions-1.4296921

Gerry "Crush the Curve" Killeen this time. Even though he acknowledges that it involves restricting people travelling from abroad and introducing a strict isolation regime, the IT still publish an article about his opinion as if it actually may work. He references far-off lands which we could emulate like Australia, China, NZ, Japan and Korea; obviously totally oblivious to the fact we share a land border with the UK which we won't be able to close and, as well, we are part of Europe, not Asia and Australia!

The article also includes a comment about the economic impact of the virus and his view is that it would be more costly to ride the waves of repeated spikes in infections. I'm sorry, but that is completely out of his area of expertise; I can imagine the scrambling to churn out panic articles if David McWilliams wrote of the economic cost of dealing with the pandemic but threw in an opinion that in his view the working population being pretty much fine if they got the virus means the economic arguments should start holding more weight.

The crush the curvers are, for me, like flat earthers - so dogmatic and ignorant.

I would be very much in favour of a crush the curve approach across all of Europe (including the UK). 2 or 3 months of hard lockdown and get back to normal (but strict quarantine from outside EU+) vs 2 or 3 years of this social distancing crap.

I'll admit I am biased because I am out of work until all social distancing is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

rahmalec wrote: »
    I would be very much in favour of a crush the curve approach across all of Europe (including the UK). 2 or 3 months of hard lockdown and get back to normal (but strict quarantine from outside EU+) vs 2 or 3 years of this social distancing crap.

I'll admit I am biased because I am out of work until all social distancing is gone.

It absolutely won't happen though. The only way the virus can be eradicated is if all countries took the exact same approach. The fact Gerry Killeen is held up as some sort of expert despite constantly repeating this view makes me question his expertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/weve-lost-control-of-pandemic-top-adviser-says-as-active-cases-spike/

Israel may be the first country in the world to impose a second national lockdown , seems insane I can't believe any country would willingly destroy its economy with a second lockdown

No country is doing this willingly. Its just the alternatives are much much worse

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Israel seems to have joined another spike after they had beaten the virus allegedly.

• Advertisement

Renjit wrote: »
    Israel seems to have joined another spike after they had beaten the virus allegedly.

What is the point of "allegedly"?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Polar101

bb1234567 wrote: »
    https://www.timesofisrael.com/weve-lost-control-of-pandemic-top-adviser-says-as-active-cases-spike/

Israel may be the first country in the world to impose a second national lockdown , seems insane I can't believe any country would willingly destroy its economy with a second lockdown

That's how a second wave looks like.

Australia might be able to contain it yet, but looks like Israel couldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

What is the point of "allegedly"?

It's anthropomorphism where virus was beaten in the duel and then brought back from the dead like the undertaker :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

It appears that Israeli failure is down to
    The fact that the government disbanded the central task force to deal with the issue leaving only there medical council to deal with it.
    The medical council had difficulties trying to coordinate responses to outbreaks and tracing.
    There medical council are now calling for the government to reinstate the full task force.
    Despite most headlines saying that Israel will go into full lockdown this is not the case.
    There medical council is advising a reintroduction of social restrictions
    That were in place prior .
    Reductions in public gathering's
    Weddings,sports bars restaurants reduced school attendence.
    Poor border check control is sighted as a major factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So when they were lingering in the supermarkets how come so few got infected would be my question? Seems like even if they are lingering there, they aren't in sufficient quantities to infect most people.
    How can you say where people picked up their infections? There was so much that were never tested because they never fitted the criteria in the early days.

I can't. But there aren't many infections in the community, so wherever they got it, it includes not really getting it in supermarkets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Re: the plague - there is hundreds of plague cases in the US every year. The media is making something of literally nothing. There was a massive outbreak in Madagascar a few years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I can't. But there aren't many infections in the community, so wherever they got it, it includes not really getting it in supermarkets.

There was community transmission at the beginning of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

celt262 wrote: »
    There will be plenty more lockdowns before this is over including here. It will be a long winter sitting at home for a lot of us.

It's already been stated here that there won't be any more national lockdowns.

It would be great if people stopped presenting opinion as fact on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

A bunch of pissheads on RTE radio from the weekend in pubs (Cork) - "fake news" "no such thing as Covid" "hick"
    Didn't hear it but of course RTE will find a bunch of pi55ed up yobs to suit their agenda, you wouldn't expect them to interview the more astute and coherent young people and there are lots of them!
    Tacky stuff from RTE with the sole purpose of branding young people who want to meet their friends as irresponsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So when they were lingering in the supermarkets how come so few got infected would be my question? Seems like even if they are lingering there, they aren't in sufficient quantities to infect most people.

We had a large proportion of people who got infected via ‘community transmission’ . That means it wasn’t possible to establish how they got infected. There isn’t some buzzer in the post office that goes “ding ding ding you’ve just been infected, do not pass go do not collect 200”. It’s a little more subtle than that unfortunately. As ever absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In New York people observing the stay at home orders were getting infected in sufficient quantities that the governor called it out and was probably part of the mandatory mask stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Another day, another quack with an article on the home page of the IT.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-could-eliminate-covid-19-within-months-with-tighter-restrictions-1.4296921

Gerry "Crush the Curve" Killeen this time. Even though he acknowledges that it involves restricting people travelling from abroad and introducing a strict isolation regime, the IT still publish an article about his opinion as if it actually may work. He references far-off lands which we could emulate like Australia, China, NZ, Japan and Korea; obviously totally oblivious to the fact we share a land border with the UK which we won't be able to close and, as well, we are part of Europe, not Asia and Australia!

The crush the curvers are, for me, like flat earthers - so dogmatic and ignorant.

Yeah like nobody told Queensland and New South Wales that they are part of the same country and they can’t enforce a border between them.

I mean it’s not like we have some sort of colour coded means of identifying offenders and then questioning them for the validity of their international sojourn in the middle of a pandemic. Before you jump to the defence of truck drivers. Real economy can keep on trucking.

Don’t need to close the border could just follow up with anyone who crosses it? You don’t need 100% compliance. As ever politics is more important. North not too bad.

Middle Englanders can wait another month I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

As ever absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Many here don't get this, or more accurately choose not to get it. Very bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Can you not you know make NI temporarily part of the Republic for the duration? I see no issues arising :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,291 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Sorry if this has been posted and discussed already but potentially some good news coming out of Pfizer:

https://www.freethink.com/articles/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Vicxas wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted and discussed already but potentially some good news coming out of Pfizer:

https://www.freethink.com/articles/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine

Aiming to distribute 100 million in 2020. That’d be fantastic, you’d expect Q1 2021 for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I know people don't want to hear good news
    But here we go :

https://twitter.com/Coronavirusgoo1/status/1280069369922494465?s=20

We had a large proportion of people who got infected via ‘community transmission’ . That means it wasn’t possible to establish how they got infected. There isn’t some buzzer in the post office that goes “ding ding ding you’ve just been infected, do not pass go do not collect 200”. It’s a little more subtle than that unfortunately. As ever absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

In New York people observing the stay at home orders were getting infected in sufficient quantities that the governor called it out and was probably part of the mandatory mask stuff there.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but in relation to the supermarkets, they themselves posted data to the effect that their own staff had not caught the virus in any significant numbers compared to the general population. Given that their staff were there all day every day, it's reasonable to assume that there wasn't mass aerosol transmission going on there, or they would likely have had more cases of staff contracting it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but in relation to the supermarkets, they themselves posted data to the effect that their own staff had not caught the virus in any significant numbers compared to the general population. Given that their staff were there all day every day, it's reasonable to assume that there wasn't mass aerosol transmission going on there, or they would likely have had more cases of staff contracting it.

How do they know that their cold/flu at Christmas time wasn't Covid19. It wasn't being tested for back then and it's clear that it's been around since December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

How do they know that their cold/flu at Christmas time wasn't Covid19. It wasn't being tested for back then and it's clear that it's been around since December.

You really don't want it to possibly be true that supermarkets mightn't be that dangerous do you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,915 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

How do they know their staff haven't caught it? Has their been a mass testing program of every employee in multiple supermarkets, which would be the only way to know, given that this is a mild, in some cases unnoticeable, disease for the vast majority of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irelands-current-coronavirus-cases-locations-22308769

surely this is some kind of reclassification of location? 51 in Kildare in 2 weeks and 7 in Dublin?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

big syke wrote: »
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irelands-current-coronavirus-cases-locations-22308769

surely this is some kind of reclassification of location? 51 in Kildare in 2 weeks and 7 in Dublin?

Meat plant?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Stheno wrote: »
    Meat plant?

Ye you might be right. Pretty low for Dublin over 14 days though...

More good news :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

cnocbui wrote: »
    How do they know their staff haven't caught it? Has their been a mass testing program of every employee in multiple supermarkets, which would be the only way to know, given that this is a mild, in some cases unnoticeable, disease for the vast majority of people?

If there had been a big issue with supermarkets which were open throughout we would not have been able to crush the curve.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement