Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam Mccarthy Cup) 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Man you love referring to anything you don't want to hear as "straw man"

Best of luck with it.

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Number of registered hurling teams 2019

Cork given their numbers are the greatest hurling underachievers in the GAA. I really think these numbers have been vital in terms of keeping Cork somewhat in touch in terms of competitiveness in terms of the top table.
    Kilkenny look like the overachievers.

Biggest thing for me is the big number of Dublin underage teams.

When you compare the underage, U21 and adult teams in Dublin versus Cork (pretty much the same number of underage teams, yet Dublin have a quarter of the teams at U21 level and a half at adult level) it looks very much like the increased participation numbers at underage haven't fed through to adult level yet. [Also Cork's ratios in terms of underage/U21/adult is very similar to most of the other Liam McCarthy counties, so its clearly Dublin which is out-of-whack here]

Down the line I think is has to be only a matter of time before these underage number start to have an impact at senior level, especially when you consider the forecasted increases in population for Dublin . The big question is how soon this will be.

Whats the story with U21 level in Waterford? 4 registered teams seems like madness.

Seems to be a fairly strong correlation between number of teams versus Tier

It would be interesting to see the growth versus decline in the number of teams in various counties over the years. I did have a look to see if I could find older figures but the oldest GAA financial accounts (which is where these figures were taken from) I could find online were 2017 so the change only covers 2 years between 2017 and 2019 which isn't really ideal in terms of drawing conclusions about overall trends. The big thing was that in these 2 years it was at underage where the vast majority of these changes took place.

Number of registered hurling teams 2017

I would love to see what sort of numbers Dublin had historically especially given the bit below from the Dublin annual report last week.

The bit about the participation rate versus football is astonishing - going from 2/3s to 90% says a world.

Really interesting post, thanks for the effort. Backs up my view that Limerick have historically underperformed, as have Galway tbf, though there's structural issues in Galway's case.

Agree it would be great to see a graph showing the changes county-by-county over the years. Mad to see the number of underage teams in Kildare relative to their senior figures.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Yes but unlimited money has deffo helped Limerick.I agree it's being spend in the right areas aswell
    Limerick currently have the perfect mix of of money set up organisation skills players

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

kilkenny34 wrote: »
    That's amazing that it's only one. Hopefully get to see Na Piarsaigh take on the Shamrocks in the next couple of seasons.

Ya, shame it did'nt happen this year. Both teams were in really top form.
    Na Piarsaigh devastating in the Limerick County final.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 blackspot91

Man City was organically going to win 4 Premier League titles between 2011 & 2019 regardless of Abu Dhabi's money. Sheik Mansour wasn't playing center half, was he?

Wow this is an embarrassing argument. Is it even necessary to point out the flaw?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Really interesting post, thanks for the effort. Backs up my view that Limerick have historically underperformed, as have Galway tbf, though there's structural issues in Galway's case.

Agree it would be great to see a graph showing the changes county-by-county over the years. Mad to see the number of underage teams in Kildare relative to their senior figures.

Galway really are the biggest under achievers in hurling, when you look at the last 30 years or more only one all Ireland despite winning numerous minor, under 21 and club all Irelands in that time. So much talent and potential has been wasted, every year they are generally in contention, but, not able to put a consistent run together. They also seem to have a weaker mentality than most other teams, often authors of their own downfall moreso than anything the opposition does.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,061 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Galeay have been in 44 All Ireland Senior Hurling finals between men and Camoige.

They have won 8 in total.

Anyway back on topic:P

And Galway are the last team to win back-to-back All-Ireland's outside of the top two.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

There's even people in limerick who resent JP being sponsor and think he has had too much influnce over the years - he has been sponsor through a 25 year barren spell, its not like he started pumping money into limerick in 2018

John Kiely is the man responsible for Limerick's success
    Not just John Kiely. He has 2 of the best coaches in the country alongside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

washman3 wrote: »
    Ya, shame it did'nt happen this year. Both teams were in really top form.
    Na Piarsaigh devastating in the Limerick County final.
    Any truth to the rumours gearoid Hegarty will transfer to them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

Keano wrote: »

Paul Kinnerk and ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭paddy no 11

Keano wrote: »

He brings them in, works wih them, integrate the whole thing etc

benji79 wrote: »

Very, very unlikely.
    He is a great clubman. St. Pats through and through.
    Played a football game with them on the Wednesday night after the 2018 final. Seldom misses a club game, frequently a spectator at under-age games.

Very humble and down to Earth guy. One of the best footballers in the county too.
    Pat's were relegated to Junior hurling this year but I predict they will bounce straight back up. Injuries cost them.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭osullic

scrubs33 wrote: »
    Paul Kinnerk and ?
    Alan Cunningham I’d say he means.
    Fantastic coach by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭benji79

Very, very unlikely.
    He is a great clubman. St. Pats through and through.
    Played a football game with them on the Wednesday night after the 2018 final. Seldom misses a club game, frequently a spectator at under-age games.

Very humble and down to Earth guy. One of the best footballers in the county too.
    Pat's were relegated to Junior hurling this year but I predict they will bounce straight back up. Injuries cost them.

That’s good to hear. Rumour might have started cause club went junior

He doesn’t need it now anyway. Be different if he was a young lad trying to break into Limerick team. Playing senior club might put you in shop window

Imagine to try mark him at junior level!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

He doesn’t need it now anyway. Be different if he was a young lad trying to break into Limerick team. Playing senior club might put you in shop window

Can't be too many top players hurling club junior? Harnedy in Cork but he gets senior hurling with the divisional side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

osullic wrote: »
    Alan Cunningham I’d say he means.
    Fantastic coach by all accounts.
    Bingo. His CV is incredible at this stage.

Think he scored 17 points in the relegation final.
    He was hitting the frees too that day.
    His younger brother due back shortly. Was a Limerick minor but done his cruciate. Another one to watch.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,768 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Think he scored 17 points in the relegation final.
    He was hitting the frees too that day.
    His younger brother due back shortly. Was a Limerick minor but done his cruciate. Another one to watch.;)

Hopefully JP signs him up in the next transfer window : )

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Slieve Gullion

Well done Limerick.

The queues of jealous haters and begrudgers on here is a sight to behold.

Match us and beat us and then it'll be your time to shine, until then suck it up and stop embarrassing yourselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Well done Limerick.

Match us and beat us and then it'll be your time to shine, until then suck it up and stop embarrassing yourselves.

JP’s green army will take some stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Well done Limerick.

May I present, Exhibit A.

JP’s green army will take some stopping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Well done Limerick.

Limerick were waiting long enough for success prior to 2018. They were like Mayo in the 1990s blowing massive leads. In 2018 they were lucky especially in the semi final. Cork hit self destruct and lost the game. Galway nearly won the 2018 final despite Limerick leading for most of the game. No one to stop Limerick 2020 though. They were the best simple as and we all admire the hurling they played.

Girly Gal wrote: »
    Galway really are the biggest under achievers in hurling, when you look at the last 30 years or more only one all Ireland despite winning numerous minor, under 21 and club all Irelands in that time. So much talent and potential has been wasted, every year they are generally in contention, but, not able to put a consistent run together. They also seem to have a weaker mentality than most other teams, often authors of their own downfall moreso than anything the opposition does.

Definitely Galway and Limerick should have won more for their playing numbers. Think Galway missed the intensity of a provincial championship though. They are much better since they joined Leinster.

There's never been a time when I can recall so many teams are as even as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭I see sheep

If Hegarty gets a red card that he deserved in the semi final it's a totally different season.
    If smashing a player on the back with your hurl isn't a red card that's news to me.
    Limerick fans very defensive about this but it did happen.
    It's becoming a bit Donald Trumpish where reality is denied and any criticism is dismissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Rasputin11 wrote: »
    Can't be too many top players hurling club junior? Harnedy in Cork but he gets senior hurling with the divisional side.
    Matthew O'Hanlon's club St James are Intermediate but when started playing adult hurling they were Junior B, the club got 4 promotions between 2009-2016, Intermediate sense 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

If Hegarty gets a red card that he deserved in the semi final it's a totally different season.
    If smashing a player on the back with your hurl isn't a red card that's news to me.
    Limerick fans very defensive about this but it did happen.
    It's becoming a bit Donald Trumpish where reality is denied and any criticism is dismissed.

I'm from kk and I've never heard such an amount of fannyacting over nothing as the response to the "smashing a player on the back". He barely tapped him with a clumsy effort at a hook. Cannings back is like a ming vase at this stage so it wouldn't take much to injure him. Barely merited a yellow.

Every drag Waterford made was blown, you had Limerick players running around with Waterford hurleys, etc which he wouldnt blow "so the game would flow". You cant give frees for one team and it be thought of as an acceptable standard.

Non-existent frees being given.

Being forced to retake a sideline cut because the ball was rolling, weird how he managed to see such things but not hurleys driven in to dangerous areas.

The only time Waterford started getting frees was 10 minutes before half time when it seemed he was blowing for everything, possibly a fitness issue I don't know.

The best part was him shouting at a Waterford player for 30 seconds delaying a restart for God only knows what.

Edit: weird how you didnt mention the drives of the hurley to very dangerous areas

The free count was 19 10 in Waterford's favour.

I had heard that he wanted to transfer to South Liberties when the family are originally from but certainly wasn't going to go to Na Piarsigh, makes no sense.

• Advertisement

Galeay have been in 44 All Ireland Senior Hurling finals between men and Camoige.

They have won 8 in total.

Anyway back on topic:P

How many times were they just beating an Ulster team in a semi final and that was it?

Advertisement