Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

unkel wrote: »
    Decathlon now usable through the Easygo app. No longer any need for a dongle

Make sure they are free - apparently Easygo have been known to levy charges on certain chargers, initiated through their app (DC only though, IIRC), despite the app indicating the chargers as "Free of Charge".

• Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Kramer wrote: »
    Make sure they are free - apparently Easygo have been known to levy charges on certain chargers, initiated through their app (DC only though, IIRC), despite the app indicating the chargers as "Free of Charge".

Yeah I saw you or someone else mention that recently. I've never paid them, so I have no credit balance and I doubt I ever gave them my card details so they can auto charge me. Can't be bothered to go to the bottom of this now, but if they do charge me, I will let you all know in here :-)

I'd be pretty confident that their Decathlon AC chargers are free though!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Looks like only 4/10 are active as per the app.....

Yeah, next thing we'd all like to know is if they're available and if charging is working outside shop opening hours (or 24/7)

The only reason I charged there today is that I had business in Ballymun (5 minute drive from there) and I had time to kill. I also like the idea of offsetting the outrageous payment of motorway toll charges - there should never be toll charges on any ring road around any capital city - so despite my 75% toll discount it still cost a touch over €1 for a return trip across the M50. The 35kWh I got free at Decathlon offset that nicely. €1 toll paid, almost €3 saved on electricity :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

Yeah, next thing we'd all like to know is if they're available and if charging is working outside shop opening hours (or 24/7)

The only reason I charged there today is that I had business in Ballymun (5 minute drive from there) and I had time to kill. I also like the idea of offsetting the outrageous payment of motorway toll charges - there should never be toll charges on any ring road around any capital city - so despite my 75% toll discount it still cost a touch over €1 for a return trip across the M50. The 35kWh I got free at Decathlon offset that nicely. €1 toll paid, almost €3 saved on electricity :p

Chargers are for customer use only. If you go next door to ikea or leave the site, you might be clamped for stealing their customer perk.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    Chargers are for customer use only. If you go next door to ikea or leave the site, you might be clamped for stealing their customer perk.

I was going to go in (I did the last time) as my daughter broke her whip yesterday but the queue was too long for my liking.

And I very much doubt anyone will get clamped there unless maybe they leave the car there all day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

9/10 are now available through the app.

There is currently no cost to charging there.

Chargers are on 24/7 but not sure if Decathlon close the barrier to block access to car park outside shop opening times.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I came across these new chargers in the red car park in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre yesterday. There is a new Aldi due to open there soon so I am assuming that they have had them installed but I don't know that for sure. There are 2 sockets per unit (8 total) but only 4 spaces marked as EV charging spaces. You could charge from the spots behind too if available.

529534.jpg

529535.jpg

Now that's great, and what a hub should look like... granted it's only 7kW AC, but it's what shops should be doing to incentivise folk to visit.... same as Decathlon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

^^^^^ free to use?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

You now know as much as I do from the photos but if I see any more info, I'll update here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Those look exactly like the stations installed at Stillorgan Shopping Centre (which are free to use)

Here's the Stillorgan ones from PlugShare (glad my memory is in good shape, I used these about a month ago lol):

465737.jpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

They're also the same ones that Dunnes on Newtownpark Avenue have that Dunnes said were actually ESB and therefore ESB charges apply.

Why they are not ESB branded i do not know, have not been there for a while to see if they work....

Maybe ESB installed them but not as eCars chargers? For whatever reason

7kW?

I don't know why anyone would be bothered plugging into that, unless you're going to be there for several hours (3+) anyway

Remember, get 20kWh minimum is the new rule.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

7kW?

I don't know why anyone would be bothered plugging into that, unless you're going to be there for several hours (3+) anyway

Remember, get 20kWh minimum is the new rule.

In our case it can be hard to find a park in the local shopping centre and the EV spaces almost always have at least one slot, may aswell get a free charge while shopping if even for 45-60 minutes.

Wouldn't drive there especially, wouldn't be worth it but if you are there anyway...

Of course, if yo get better / free parking if you plug in, that's a no brainer. This is not the case with those chargers in Blanchardstown though. Plenty of free parking there anyway.

It looks much closer to the entrance than most spaces though (and Blanch can be a pain to find spaces in sometimes).

I’m sure in pre-pandemic times people would easily spend 2+ hours in a shopping centre like that.

Aye, but for someone with home charging, a 2 hour hook up would save them 14kWh * 8c/kWh = roughly just €1 :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

Aye, but for someone with home charging, a 2 hour hook up would save them 14kWh * 8c/kWh = roughly just €1 :D

Stop by mc Donald s for the eurosaver me
    Menu.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s not always about the cost savings, hooking up gives more range and the range gained could be the difference between having to stop somewhere for a fast charge and driving straight home

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    It’s not always about the cost savings, hooking up gives more range and the range gained could be the difference between having to stop somewhere for a fast charge and driving straight home

That might apply to about 2-3% of the visitors to Blanchardstown shopping centre staying there for just 2 hours who need the extra range to make it home :p

And let's see if those people hooking up now, suddenly don't need to charge to get home anymore once you have to pay for those charge points :p:p:p

It’s a private charging system as another destination option, I’m not really sure why we should be annoyed about it. It’s not like this is eCars funded.

Also I think it’s fairly presumptuous to say that only 2-3% of people going to Blanch are staying long. Certainly right now nobody is hanging around but in normal times, there would be plenty wandering about for more than 2 hours. Women mostly, perhaps, but also families. You’d have to drag me there at gunpoint, mind you.

MJohnston wrote: »
    Also I think it’s fairly presumptuous to say that only 2-3% of people going to Blanch are staying long. Certainly right now nobody is hanging around but in normal times, there would be plenty wandering about for more than 2 hours. Women mostly, perhaps, but also families. You’d have to drag me there at gunpoint, mind you.

add to that if your car is outside taking on free juice, you might be more inclined to stay on and have that coffee, or 2nd cup of tea.... i.e. spending more money....

MJohnston wrote: »
    Also I think it’s fairly presumptuous to say that only 2-3% of people going to Blanch are staying long.

That's not what I claimed. I claimed 2-3% of people going to Blanch staying around 2 hours but not much longer actually need the charge to get home. I'd say I'm not far off

That's not what I claimed. I claimed 2-3% of people going to Blanch staying around 2 hours but not much longer actually need the charge to get home. I'd say I'm not far off

Fair enough, your guess is as good as mine on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

2-3% of total people going to Blanch need a charge to get home?
    I'd say that's a massive over estimation.

2-3% of EV drivers that go to Blanch?
    Probably not far off. Stats for places that have payment for AC charging prove people rarely need it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not active yet for another 2 weeks according to FB Group.
    No idea if free to use yet as nobody can confirm who actually owns them.

Advertisement