Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

That's a great charge cost.
    10 quid for a 40 min topup. If you have a car like mine that will pull 50kW gross, 45-47kW net for most of the curve, you could really get your money's worth there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes, to be welcomed, often drop in for a coffee and a read of the paper to break a journey.
    However apart from the few motorway services, most others seem to have limited parking, even the ones on outskirts with drive- throughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Instavolt in the UK are great. Last time I used them, the charge was £0.30/kWh. Not the fastest chargers in the world, the same ones Easygo use, but just plug in and swipe your debit/credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭innrain

unkel wrote: »
    Very fast food, ready in about 30s. Hope their chargers will deliver the same speed :p

From the article it looks like they will be DC fast chargers alright. Good call, McDonalds, nice one.

Here is the ad from Sweden mcdrive https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/27/mcdonalds-wants-to-charge-your-electric-car/

a bigmac 52; a minute of charging 2.5 whatever the currency. 30 mins there you pay for bigmac 52 and for ev charge 75. I bet the margins for the BigMac are way smaller than for a charger and the electricity. And you step in the shop because you stop to charge or you charge because you stopped to eat it doesn't matter it just doubled the intake.

Gyms are another perfect example where the model works. What is ben dunne annual rate ? 300 ? 500? If one would spend a tenner per week for charging that's another 500 per year. What are the costs?

Decathlon on the continent has rapid DC chargers. Here they chose AC standard. I wonder why? Is it because we expect these to be free? Wouldn't make more sense that while you buy you cheap skiing gear you pay another fiver?

I hope it is a wake up call for businesses now that people learnt what exponential increase actually means. On Sunday I drove 13 km and counted 8 EVs on the way, from which 3 were Model 3. Providing chargers now might be a novelty but soon they will fight for our business. My average ecars bill is about 100/month. I would happily spend this in a supervalu/dunnes during shopping visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

innrain wrote: »
    Here is the ad from Sweden mcdrive https://cleantechnica.com/2019/09/27/mcdonalds-wants-to-charge-your-electric-car/

a bigmac 52; a minute of charging 2.5 whatever the currency. 30 mins there you pay for bigmac 52 and for ev charge 75. I bet the margins for the BigMac are way smaller than for a charger and the electricity. And you step in the shop because you stop to charge or you charge because you stopped to eat it doesn't matter it just doubled the intake.

Gyms are another perfect example where the model works. What is ben dunne annual rate ? 300 ? 500? If one would spend a tenner per week for charging that's another 500 per year. What are the costs?

Decathlon on the continent has rapid DC chargers. Here they chose AC standard. I wonder why? Is it because we expect these to be free? Wouldn't make more sense that while you buy you cheap skiing gear you pay another fiver?

I hope it is a wake up call for businesses now that people learnt what exponential increase actually means. On Sunday I drove 13 km and counted 8 EVs on the way, from which 3 were Model 3. Providing chargers now might be a novelty but soon they will fight for our business. My average ecars bill is about 100/month. I would happily spend this in a supervalu/dunnes during shopping visits.

How much time do you spend charging? What make of car do you drive?

• Advertisement

I'm driving a kona, charging about 5 times every 2 weeks. That is about 1h40min per week. I'm lucky enough that I can be as productive in the car as at the desk. (with home working even more productive in the car). The car just came back from its 30k service interval and so far no issues. Call me zealous but it is working. Anyway, returning to shop provided chargers. My messages is that they should see this as an opportunity but the expectation of free charging is hiding it.

Jebus h christ.
    That's insane, youd be better off in the petrol kona.

My petrol bill used to be >400 a month but yeah you're right. Do I need to mention timing belt/clutch replacements over the years? I remember getting the topaz statement for one of the years and when I saw that I used over 2.5 tonnes of petrol in a year I felt numb. I do this commute since 2011 so you get the feel. Have you ever compounded like this? The same way my toll bill used to be at around 100 a month -> 1200 a year

• Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ELM327 wrote: »
    Jebus h christ.
    That's insane, youd be better off in the petrol kona.

Nah, he's charging 5 times in 2 weeks, let's presume that's about a 10-80% charge? So he does 5 times * 70% * 450km range * 26 times per year = about 40k km per year. For €100 per month in fuel

In my last ICE I did under 15k km per year and spent €50 per week on petrol, or 6 times as much as him per km

My petrol bill used to be >400 a month but yeah you're right. Do I need to mention timing belt/clutch replacements over the years? I remember getting the topaz statement for one of the years and when I saw that I used over 2.5 tonnes of petrol in a year I felt numb. I do this commute since 2011 so you get the feel. Have you ever compounded like this? The same way my toll bill used to be at around 100 a month -> 1200 a year
    Nah, he's charging 5 times in 2 weeks, let's presume that's about a 10-80% charge? So he does 5 times * 70% * 450km range * 26 times per year = about 40k km per year. For €100 per month in fuel

In my last ICE I did under 15k km per year and spent €50 per week on petrol, or 6 times as much as him per km

Your logic has a fatal flaw.
    He has to be in the car charging, so that's a cost too. Unless you work for free.

• Advertisement

Your logic has a fatal flaw.
    He has to be in the car charging, so that's a cost too. Unless you work for free.
    1h40m per week = €300 nice rate.

1h40m per week = €300 nice rate.
    5 times in 2 weeks, 2.5 times a week.
    2.5 times 1hr40 is about 4hours 15 mins.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

5 times in 2 weeks, 2.5 times a week.
    2.5 times 1hr40 is about 4hours 15 mins.

He's said he's spending about 1:40 per week charging, and that he is able to do productive work whilst sat in the car.

I mean if he's happy to do that fair play to him. I can also work in the car or wherever but have no interest in spending hours domiciled to a charger, hoping it's available, working etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

100 mins a week for €100, it's better than I get paid :D

Again, as I say, if it works for him fair play.
    For me it would be too much stress hoping the local charger was available etc.

And even if you can't do productive work, it's nice to escape and have a bit of peace and quiet to yourself when you have a full house of people working / studying from home :p

And even if you can't do productive work, it's nice to escape and have a bit of peace and quiet to yourself when you have a full house of people working / studying from home :p
    I've been doing that myself actually recently. Heading out to top up the car! But it's an excuse to go and chill in my own headspace because of covid, and certainly not BAU

I have (almost) never queued. Even when they were free. I have learnt from the begining that ""ready in 5 mins" means 50 so i did my own statistics. Now with the charges it is even easier to predict the empty charger. And is not all about money. .The message is that it is working, it could be better but it is not impossible. Also the benefits outweigh the inconveniences

And is not all about money.

Charging (at home) during the night is much more environmentally friendly than charging during the day at a public charger, even if the latter is still free (at AC speeds). So yes, it's not all about money. I try hook up my car at home when there is plenty of sunshine. The last few days I did this, I got about 10kWh per day into the car purely from solar PV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

My average ecars bill is about 100/month.

That's approximately 80kWh per week @ 29c/kWh.
    At 15kWh/100km, that's approx. 27,500km per year. Less if you are a less efficient driver or use motorways alot.
    From your toll usage, it seems like you are a motorway user so it's likely your annual mileage is less than 25k km.

I assume you have no home charging?

Each to their own & well wear anyway - not much love round here for the Kona :).

I don't love it either. I can't wait the day I'll get a normal (saloon) car. This crossover is meant to replace our second car in the family. Right now it replaces the first. Next day I get the charger installed I'll order a Model3. So far the struggle with the property management is 15 months long and we still count. In meantime I cash in the benefit of not burning 2.5+ tonnes of petrol per annum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ESB ecars twin AC being installed today in Tesco, Rush.

Post on Facebook from Darkin Electrical (can't seem to get the link to post) about a "dublin shopping centre off the m50) adding up to 100 AC and DC charging points.

Post on Facebook from Darkin Electrical (can't seem to get the link to post) about a "dublin shopping centre off the m50) adding up to 100 AC and DC charging points.

Seems like a big move. Looks like Swords Pavillions on their Facebook post.
    Contracts are signed and we will starting the installation very soon of phase 1 installation of 20no. Eo genius car chargers in a popular shopping center just off the M50 making it the largest charging hub in ireland the customers aim is to increase to 100no AC units and 10no 50kw DC units all based on demand EO Charging

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

https://www.facebook.com/darkinev.ie/posts/567702367205739

That's the post there. People suggesting Swords

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This was Swords Pavilions back in June!

520069.jpeg
    520070.jpeg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Has anyone used the chargers at Kildare Village since you have to pre book a car space. Just did and its only saying I should park in carpark 'A'?

• Advertisement

Was at Kildare Village at the weekend, the carpark with the chargers is still open access.

Advertisement