Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provided chargers at shops

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Just noticed on Sunday that the chargers at Frascati in Blackrock are also identical to those in Stillorgan and Blanchardstown. And they're also free to use.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,019 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

would these all be shopping centre provided chargers to entice customers out and to stay as long as possible (hence 7kW).

Great if so, and long overdue, and will no doubt force the others to offer the same....

....and I know it's hardly worth the effort of plugging in yada yada yada...... but as a carrot to try and entice folks into EV's, it's something. For some folks, a 2-3 hour session on a 7kW could be enough to do them for a week....

Certainly in Frascati and Stillorgan, the carrot is actually being able to get a parking space.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

For the Blanchardstown slow chargers:
    Blanchardstown Tesco has been fully occupied for 15 minutes over the last 2 days.
    Blanchardstown Center for 7 hours over the last 2 days
    And Mill road in Blanchardstown village for just under 3 hours over the last 2 days.

The CCS on the fast charger has been in us for over 9 hours over the last 2 days.
    The CHAdeMO on the fast charger has been in use for a bit over 8 hours over the last 2 days.
    AC43 on the fast charger has been in use for 3 hours over the last 2 days.

I don't have stats on when 1 car is plugged in only, just whether the port type requested is available or otherwise, so the slow charger probably has a lot more use than I am recording.

If that bank of units is free though, it'll be in constant use.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

2x22kw chargers in the new Lidl Ballymun.
    EasyGo operated. When I was on site let week before they opened they were not active yet but they do show on the app as available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,974 ✭✭✭✭unkel

2x22kw chargers in the new Lidl Shackleton
    EasyGo operated. Free of charge for Lidl customers

Was there the day it opened (yesterday). Hadn't spotted them coming in (didn't look for them), after I paid for my shopping at checkout I asked to talk to the manager, who came out to me and I asked her if they were getting car chargers like some other new Lidls. She said they were there and already working. I checked on my way out and indeed they were. Impressed. Well done, Lidl!

unkel wrote: »
    2x22kw chargers in the new Lidl Shackleton
    EasyGo operated. Free of charge for Lidl customers

Well done, Lidl!

A definite advantage now over Tesco and their eCars chargers.......

Aye. In the first lock down I usually did my big weekly shop in Tesco. Between queuing and shopping that took the guts of 2 hours, which gave me enough electricity for the week (about 40kWh)

In recent months I do my weekly or twice weekly shop in Lidl. And juice up there.

My local Tesco is Park Pointe thankfully, so that still wins out for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Gumbo wrote: »
    2x22kw chargers in the new Lidl Ballymun.
    EasyGo operated. When I was on site let week before they opened they were not active yet but they do show on the app as available.

They are active and available now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

A definite advantage now over Tesco and their eCars chargers.......

They are not Tesco's chargers - they are ours!
    We, taxpayers, have paid for them, their installation & maintenance.

We also have to pay to use them.

The most ridiculous waste of taxpayer funds - free greenwashing for Tesco :rolleyes:. Amazing how AC charging at Tesco in the UK is free.

Hey EV owners, shop in Tesco! You've already paid for the chargers, now come pay 4x as much for electricity as you would at home :rolleyes:.

More chance of Lidl installing a few motorway hubs at this stage than ESB :D.

Has it ever actually been confirmed at all who is paying what for the Tesco chargers? I’d like to see a breakdown of that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Has it ever actually been confirmed at all who is paying what for the Tesco chargers? I’d like to see a breakdown of that

Yes, ECars pay 100% of the supply, installation & maintenance.

https://www.esb.ie/tns/press-centre/2019/2019/12/20/tesco-and-esb-announce-nationwide-roll-out-of-charge-points-for-electric-vehicles-at-52-locations-across-the-country
    Under this partnership ESB will supply, install and operate the charge points

We really are mugs here in Ireland :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

LOL and they use the Zoe as the charging example, talk about fluffing up the numbers.
    Even though I've a dual charge Model S myself they really should take the average charge rate and not the rate only few can manage...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Clever Tesco, like you say a free greenwashing exercise for them, courtesy of the Irish tax payer :rolleyes:

And well done Lidl. Paying themselves for the install of the chargers AND providing free charging for their customers. A pity they didn't install more CCS chargers though like in their first install in the new Lidl in Drogheda a few years ago. The AC charge points are a bit of a waste of time for any EV that doesn't at the very least have 3 phase charging

Kramer wrote: »

Okay but that quote doesn’t actually state anything about where the costs are coming from. ESB can supply, install, and maintain AND be paid to do so by Tesco. It wouldn’t contradict the quote if Tesco were funding it (although I’d assume it would be mentioned if they were).

We need to get some confirmation of this either way.

miamee wrote: »
    I came across these new chargers in the red car park in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre yesterday. There is a new Aldi due to open there soon so I am assuming that they have had them installed but I don't know that for sure. There are 2 sockets per unit (8 total) but only 4 spaces marked as EV charging spaces. You could charge from the spots behind too if available.

529534.jpg

529535.jpg

Any update on these? Are they operational? And if so, how to start a charge? Or are they just plug & play?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I don't know any more about them other than thete are only 4 points, not 8 as I originally thought. Only one actual plug in point on each. The Aldi is due to open on Thursday 26th November so if they aren't already operational, I'm sure they will be by then.

Might spin over with the car over the weekend to test one out.

Used my local lidls easygo unit there this morning. Spotted the local super freeloaders. They're an odd bunch.

1. BMW plug in, plugs in every weekend as far as I can see (maybe more) and leaves the car there for hours. The display said consumed 0.00kWh when I arrived and after I had done my shop it said charge complete, disconnecting. I lol'd, pure schadenfreude moment for me.

2. After my shop, I noticed a first gen leaf lingering, awaiting a charging space. I recognise the car from previous weekly shops. The crazy thing is they were not shopping etc, they were just waiting to charge at 3.3kW. I had other business to do locally so I went about it, but told them of the fully charged and disconnected bmw (if they could reach the unit from their space). I came back about 20 minutes later to see them charging and sitting in the car. No Lidl shop, no local trade, just some free* juice.

Not the glamorous EV life we all portray :D

*Free if you value your time as nothing

I know I freeloaded too but doesn't everyone when the price is 0. And I did at least shop at Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,856 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Used my local lidls easygo unit there this morning. Spotted the local super freeloaders. They're an odd bunch.

1. BMW plug in, plugs in every weekend as far as I can see (maybe more) and leaves the car there for hours. The display said consumed 0.00kWh when I arrived and after I had done my shop it said charge complete, disconnecting. I lol'd, pure schadenfreude moment for me.

2. After my shop, I noticed a first gen leaf lingering, awaiting a charging space. I recognise the car from previous weekly shops. The crazy thing is they were not shopping etc, they were just waiting to charge at 3.3kW. I had other business to do locally so I went about it, but told them of the fully charged and disconnected bmw (if they could reach the unit from their space). I came back about 20 minutes later to see them charging and sitting in the car. No Lidl shop, no local trade, just some free* juice.

Not the glamorous EV life we all portray :D

*Free if you value your time as nothing

I know I freeloaded too but doesn't everyone when the price is 0. And I did at least shop at Lidl.

There used to be a leaf where I live that was plugged in every night charging for free on the public chargers. Haven't seen it around since they started charging, now there's a new Lidl opening and they're installing chargers so I might see them appear again.

• Advertisement

A lot of (very expensive) plug in petrol cars charging at my new local Lidl. What are they trying to achieve here? Fill up their whole battery from empty to full for a at a slow speed of 7kW to be saving of €0.63? :rolleyes:

I also plug in at my local Lidls, but only if I'm low and only on the ones that are 22kW, so it will give me a meaningful charge (I usually do my weekly shopping and sit in the car for a little while longer to do some work / read emails / relax)

I also plug in at my local Lidls, but only if I'm low and only on the ones that are 22kW, so it will give me a meaningful charge (I usually do my weekly shopping and sit in the car for a little while longer to do some work / read emails / relax)

I brought my 2 year old with me. No such thing as sitting and relaxing, I was draining get battery! Got a nice 22% added to the car battery though.

zg3409 wrote: »
    IKEA Dublin 2 x 7.4kW Max AC live on easygo app. Added to plugshare app. Belfast is 50kW...

OMG!
    They finally did it, but couldn't be decent enough to offer it for free, or offer a decent speed unit

Easygo app also suggests it's got a penalty fee after 2 hours guaranteed with IKEA.

Interestingly easygo also show the decathlon as easygo units, with easy go pricing and overstay penalties. Yet more easygo app confusion

OMG!
    They finally did it, but couldn't be decent enough to offer it for free, or offer a decent speed unit

Easygo app also suggests it's got a penalty fee after 2 hours guaranteed with IKEA.

Triple ridiculous.

1. should be free
    2. should not be a penalty after 2 hours, most people bothered about plugging in their car in Ikea would stay for more than 2 hours. Should they go out of the shop in the middle of their shopping session to move their car? :rolleyes:

3. only 7.4kW

I will not be plugging in there, that's for sure. Even if it was free.

Was in Dundrum SC last week. Not sure if it was mentioned here, but I heard they had new (non ESB) charge points there. Found them, plenty of them too, at level 2, I think there were about 4 charge points, so 8 cars can charge. Voltage was sh1t though, only about 210V so the charge points which were 7.2kW provided only 6kW. They were free though, just plug in and charge.

I guess if you're going to be there for a considerable length of time (say at the very least 3 hours: shopping / dinner / cinema) you could bother plugging in...

Someone is already using one of the Ikea ones.....

Was in Dundrum SC last week. Not sure if it was mentioned here, but I heard they had new (non ESB) charge points there. Found them, plenty of them too, at level 2, I think there were about 4 charge points, so 8 cars can charge. Voltage was sh1t though, only about 210V so the charge points which were 7.2kW provided only 6kW. They were free though, just plug in and charge.

I guess if you're going to be there for a considerable length of time (say at the very least 3 hours: shopping / dinner / cinema) you could bother plugging in...

They're not new, they've been there a couple of years at least. If you shop at Tesco, you can get a 3 euro "car parking discount", so you can essentially get a nice charge and a few hours parking for nothing.

Triple ridiculous.

1. should be free
    2. should not be a penalty after 2 hours, most people bothered about plugging in their car in Ikea would stay for more than 2 hours. Should they go out of the shop in the middle of their shopping session to move their car? :rolleyes:

3. only 7.4kW

I will not be plugging in there, that's for sure. Even if it was free.

Good, leave them free for me coming up from down the country, and needing a destination charger.

The overstay fee is ****ty, and the pay for usage I guess should help keep them for those who need them, but only 2 sockets means its highly unlikely they'll be available to many, and only 7.4kW limits their usefulness in an ever increasing battery size world. It certainly hasn't given me much hope for when I eventually need to do an IKEA run. Can't even leverage decathlon, since i'd be on my own, and have to abandon my shop to retrieve the car.

• Advertisement

Good, leave them free for me coming up from down the country

If you're up for a chat, I'll be across the road. Charging at 3 times the speed, for free, with no overstay penalties :p

Advertisement